S27: Colton

• Please log in to reply

283 replies to this topic

samk

samk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

I have friend that says he knows this asshole -- and that while Colton is a genuine asshat, this whole business of being a 'republican' and the overtly nasty racist/bigoted remarks are a political statement intended to harm actual conservatives. This was apparently an actual plan that this wackjob came up with.

That's what I thought last episode when I wrote that he was the worst stereotype of every set he claimed. He is the gayest, least clueful, most conservative, gay clueless conservative I have ever seen.

Edited by samk, Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

Here's a story on KKKolton from his local media. Check out the comments section. KKKolton's fellow Alabamians don't like him any more than we do.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Is it wrong to hope that every single person that sees Colton today walks up to him and punches him in the throat?

Nope. I think he's going to have to get a reality check now because everyone, strangers, media now sees him the racist elitist not to mention his comments toward Leif. That is with him forever.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

I really have to wonder if people forget that they are on "Teevee". Like, they sort of know - because of the cameras and stuff, but they forget that - if you say it, it's out there. People will youtube it. People will write articles and twit/facebook it. This isn't a show that only Jim Bob and Mary watch back home, this is aired internationally. (Probably not with the same amount of love as previous seasons - but still).

So if Colton intentionally planned to be the "OOh! Look at Me! I'm SCANDELOUS!" person - good on him because: A: that's what gets you invited back, B: that's what gets you voted 100,000 dollars, and that's what gets you dragged to at least the final five as the goat. [Sigh. I wish people would grow clues and stop that madness].

But there is a difference between being Scandelous! and being what he's being now, a huge difference, and I doubt very much he'll be 'okay' with it this morning. I heard that last week, he quickly tweeted "I didn't mean ghetto trash, it just slipped out?"

Did oompa loompa, munchkin, and all that diabtribe towards Bill just 'slip out too?' is he even saying anthing?

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Why don't any of the men recognize how toxic he is?

I didn't understand this either. They all still follow him. Crazy. Although the one guy at Tribal (who was left over from the Matt alliance) basically said he was keeping his mouth shut so he didn't put a target on his own back.

I suffered through Hantz. I don't know if I can continue to watch this idiot on my TV.

OneGeek

OneGeek

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

His central issue, I believe, is not that he degrades women everywhere by acting like such a twinkie because that's how he thinks women act...not that he behaves like a slum landlord because that's how he thinks Republicans deal...not that he is both racist and bigoted...not that he is a tantrum-throwing brat...

No, his central issue is that he is a malignant narcissist and uses all of those horrid behaviors to enforce his will. Shame on the other men for letting him get away with it. No one comes off looking good in this hateful situation.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

I don't follow Twitter. I know that last week Colton was sending Tweets about his comments. What about this week? I would love to know what he has to say. Mainly because I want to mock his attempts at spin.

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

I really have to wonder if people forget that they are on "Teevee". Like, they sort of know - because of the cameras and stuff, but they forget that - if you say it, it's out there.

Correct. He can try to spin it however he wants but it doesn't matter. Once you say it, you cannot take it back - its out there for the world to hear. He can try to defend it with comments like "I didn't mean it." Or he can claim that he is intentionally trying to be an outrageous character. Or he can just admit that he is the bigot and the bully that I suspect him to be.

In the end, it doesn't matter. He is spewing hate. At 21, he is certainly old enough to know better. However, he may be too young, too naive or too stupid to understand the ramifications of his comments. Right now, he may perceive that being controversial in this manner makes for "good TV." In the long term, his reputation is going to suffer greatly for it.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I don't follow Twitter. I know that last week Colton was sending Tweets about his comments. What about this week? I would love to know what he has to say. Mainly because I want to mock his attempts at spin.

I don't think he's said anything, nobody has mentioned any comments from him. I'm assuming all the PR people told him to shut up because there's no way he can make himself look good on twitter by responding to what everyone saw on tv. He could only make it worse.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

The thing that bugs me the most about Colton - even more than the racism and the size-ism and the classism and the anyone-who-isn't-Colton-ism - is his Russellesque lack of understanding of how the game works. His whole "I will get rid of whoever I want" thing---when actually, he needs other people's votes to do that---reminds me of when Russell was at F3 with Natalie (in a season where the F3 went in front of the jury) and threatened to vote her out of the game.

Plenty of people have shitty and bigoted opinions, and I hate those people and want them off my TV. But it's a very rare person who combines those opinions with the kind of blind, delusional arrogance that Colton brings. Colton is like Russell's gameplay plus Lisi's personality times Randy Bailey, cubed.

Smagu

Smagu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I never understand how these people get so wrapped up in early power that they completely forget that Survivor is a looooong game, and you ultimately need to curry favor with people. We're on day nine or whatever, and already Colton has a 0% chance of winning this game--he may stay in it for a while, but ain't nobody voting for him.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

The really amazing thing is that Colton is falling into that trap after booting Matt who fell into that trap. Matt was very clear that he thought he was in charge. Colton is doing the same thing. He sent someone to go and get Leif so he could talk to Leif for gods sake.

PhilMarlowe2

PhilMarlowe2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

I am not a violent man, but I condone violence against Colton.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

I don't post much, but this little twit fills me with si much disgust. I couldn't even watch tribal council, I can't afford a new tv this week. I don't know what aggravates me the most, the disgusting things he says; or the constant eye rolls. Please, let next week be the end of the line for him.

jessme

jessme

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

Who was it that called him a "vile little toad"? Because that fits perfectly. I try to look at the best in people, but I looked and for the life of me, cannot find one single redeeming character in him, he is a complete asshole, one who is narcissistic and oblivious to what others really think of him. What gets me is where did he all of a sudden end up with so much charisma with the guys that he can get away with this..what is going on??? Now I am beginning to understand how a nutjob like Manson held so many enthralled..Colton must be working that same voodoo to get the guys to fall in line behind him. I will be happy when he's gone, and if he wins, or even gets to the final four or five, I am boycotting survivor for good.

OurJames

OurJames

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Most of the other "men" are perfectly willing to let Colton flame away. All they have to do is keep quiet and they will be out of his sights and stay in the game. Even in the face of his hideous bigotry. These men are cowards.

Edited by OurJames, Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:15 PM.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I have a feeling that once his parents learned he was gay, they did everything in their power to isolate him from the rest of the world. He doesn't seem to know how other people work and he finds them to be a constant annoyance when they're not doing his bidding.

He also acts like he can't believe how much trouble he's having to go through just to win a million dollars. He knows he's going to win so why don't they just do him a favor and give him the million bucks right now, then he won't have to put up with these idiots who don't have a chance any more?

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

On rewatching the episode, watching Colton's behavior....

Yeah, I could do with much less of the neck rolling. He seems to do it when he feels he has a moment of control, as if saying "This ain't going to touch me!"

He also has all the mannerisms of someone who has been coddled and petted a lot. Very pretty-boy-coy with the eye-lash fluttering and downcast looks to show off his long lashes.

Problem is, he does it with a great deal of self-awareness. As in, "I know I'm cute when I do this."

No idea who he's doing it for in this situation, since there don't seem to be any takers.

Creeps me out. And if he thinks the women will be nicer to him, he's mis-read that group. Even Sabrina quickly changed her mind about him after giving him the idol. Plus, now, he's power-mad.

MyBad

MyBad

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

For what it's worth.

Colton is from Monroeville, Alabama. This is also the home of Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird. Monroeville's biggest attraction is their annual community theater production of To Kill a Mockingbird in the county courthouse.

So how in the world . . . ?

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Quoting Yogurt Baron from the previous episode thread:

We're stuck with him for a while, but I'm absolutely certain that Colton cannot win this show, or even come close. There's just never been a "villainous" winner, ever, and probably never will be---to some degree, they always try to edit it so that winners are someone we can root for---and calling a black man "ghetto trash" is over the line of what they'd show a winner doing. Who's ever come close to being that offensive? Lisi. NaOnka. Randy. I...can't come up with a fourth name. Not only don't people who are given such negative edits always lose, they always lose in a way that the whole season gets built around their downfall, to some degree. So I'm confident that Colton will fall down, spectacularly

I started thinking this last week also - he is playing a part ("she's just like a member of the family" - this the same year "The Help" is winning Oscars?) and thinks he can weasel his way to the finals. Maybe so, but like Yogurt Baron I don't think he can possibly win if only because of the edit he has gotten.

And as for the gay = compassionate idea, I would quote Cherrie Moraga - "Oppression does not make for hearts as big as all outdoors." Sometimes getting shit on makes people more assholish.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Unfortunately at this point he stands a great chance of going to the end. When tribes gender-mix, he will throw his lot in with whatever women are there. Having some brains, they will use him. This will continue through the merge, and I predict that he will want to eliminate men and the women will allow him to think he's in charge of that. At that point he is an irresistible goat - no man will vote for him - and will be dragged to the end.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 4:07 AM

Bizarro twist... Colton had a FB fan page this time last week. It was kind of disgusting, because even with the "ghetto trash" comment, he had over 800 "fans" who goo-goo'd all over him, rather like virtual petting.

Well, suddenly this week that fan page disappeared. Someone has since put up a Colton Cumbie "Public Figure" page to replace the former fan page. And the new page is filled with :::ahem::: somewhat strong words, some even wishing physical violence for Colton. It says it's his official fan page.

However, several people posted on that page that it is NOT the official page. The following post is on the apparently-new FB Colton Cumbie page:

(Posted by) Mitzi Halley Martin

From Colton Cumbie's Fan Page: I am the REAL Colton, and honestly I don't know what I can say than you're all right? Watching myself last night, I, honestly felt uncomfortable and awkward. The things I said about Lief, Bill, everyone were meant to be funny. I can see that they WERE NOT. I feel like an apology at this point would basically fall on deaf ears, but I will say that I am sorry to any group or individual that I offended. I'm not going to lay blame on a edit or it "was just a game" because I agree with you that I took things to a whole different level. My actions should reflect on me and me alone, not my family, gays, Alabamians, or anyone. I would also like to point out that this show was filmed last summer, almost a year ago. In the last year I've had some personal growth (I still have a long way to go), but the one thing that I am most appreciative to Survivor for was opening my eyes to different types of people that differ from myself. I truly do not hate anyone. I was just a spoiled, self-centered, brat, and the only thing I can do now is learn from this experience and move forward and keep trying to become a better person..

You know what Colton? In this case - assuming that you and not a publicist wrote those words - in this case, words are not enough. There is no way in hell that your words and actions could have been self-determined as funny. Words are not enough.

If CBS ever allows him to "redeem" himself on camera, I will still follow through with what I wrote in the episode thread, and organize a campaign to get advertisers to boycott all of Mark Burnett's shows until they pull anything that Colton Cumbie is associated with. Last night was NOT entertainment. It was racism.

If Colton Cumbie is really sorry for what he did, he will 1) Give any winnings or earnings from Survivor to charity; 2) Go into public service - not State Department, but soup kitchens, Peace Corps, something that is an act of atonement for the hatred he spewed onto our collective screens last night. Words are not enough.

ETA: Colton is not a vile little toad! That insults frogs and toads everywhere! :-)

Edited by FrogsRule, Mar 9, 2012 @ 4:21 AM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Yeah, that certainly sounds like smoke puffed out by a publicist. As far as I'm concerned, he's a vile little maggot, and these apologies and excuses that he was trying to be funny (really? you thought that was funny?) sound and smell like the dung they are. I keep wondering if he stays on the show until near the end and continues to be a vile little maggot who inflames the audience into raging hatred if he'll even show up at the live reunion show. I can't imagine the reaction he would receive from the audience, but I imagine there would have to be many muscular security people surrounding him coming and going from the theater. If he does show up, what I would love is that instead of boos from the audience, that he be greeted with stone cold silence so that only his family is heard cheering.

I've disliked a lot of players on this show over the years. I stopped watching Survivor altogether during the Hantz decade (okay, it wasn't a decade, it just seemed like it). But I can say with all honesty that I have never experienced such rage and disgust watching a tribal council as I did watching this last one. I hate that the Survivor producers are probably ecstatic over all the controversy this little shit has stirred.

Edited by sp23, Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

sassygoddess1

sassygoddess1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

There's just never been a "villainous" winner, ever, and probably never will be---to some degree, they always try to edit it so that winners are someone we can root for---and calling a black man "ghetto trash" is over the line of what they'd show a winner doing. Who's ever come close to being that offensive? Lisi. NaOnka. Randy. I...can't come up with a fourth name.

I can come up with a fourth name - Russell Hantz. Possibly a fifth, if we add his nephew Brandon. Both Hanzes are extremely misogynistic, and that's why Russell will always remain on my despise list. Sure, there's a part of him that loves showboating and sees any negative attention towards him as jealousy.

The big difference with Colton is the greater variety of targets - Colton looks down on anyone that isn't essentially, himself. I completely agree that Colton deserves all of the virulence directed towards himself, and I'm not excusing most of it just because of his comparative youth. But it's easy to forget that creeps like Hantz are not better in comparison - we just forget a lot of their bad behaviour and speech over time. I really hope this doesn't happen with CC - this should continue to haunt him for the rest of his life.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

From the episode thread:

I really don't understand (blaming CBS/its advertisers for Colton). You can't believe that CBS or the Survivor PTB are responsible for what Colton is saying? If anything, I applaud them for displaying his heinous bigotry openly for all the world to see, rather than burying it on the cutting-room floor and allowing people to pretend that we're "past" this kind of thinking in America.

There's a middleground between "burying it" and "turning it into the whole show". Also, by making Colton the star of the show - by showing his whole tribe deferring to him and kissing his ass and "I need to yell at the Oompa Loompa, one of you bring him to me while the others continue to fan me" - they're, however subtly, endorsing the behaviour.

I've talked in the Editing thread about how Survivor editing has changed. They used to show us why power players were power players, and how others related to them, and why others let them have that power. Now, they designate a power player and show them bullying people and never explain why that bullying works. This style of editing leaves us with no possible textual conclusion for why people follow the bully except "wow, that guy must have something going for him."

So people watching the show are seeing that behaviour like Colton's will take you places. It's not a good message. They shouldn't censor him; they should establish what a bigot he is, establish why his tribe is tolerating it and explore whether they're all bigots too, and put it in some kind of context.

It's not as if what we see on Survivor is an objective truth. We see only the very tiniest sliver of what goes on. The story - the only story - the show is choosing to tell us this year is, "Hey, this guy who hates everybody - isn't he awesome? Everybody's choosing to follow him, and we're choosing to make him the star of the show - that must be because of how wonderful his views are!" That's the problem.

I can come up with a fourth name - Russell Hantz.

Maybe I missed something, but I always thought Russell was just an arrogant little bugger who hated everybody. I don't remember any racism or any misogyny, as such. Yes, he had his "dumbass girl alliance", but if he'd preferred to ally with Mick and Jaison and whoever at the start of the game, he'd have probably called them the "dumbass guy alliance".

And Brandon...what a headcase. I hope he gets the help he needs, far away from my TV. (Him being far away from my TV will be an important part of the help I need, too.)

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Russell's entire game play was based on misogny. He had the idea for the dumb girl alliance and he meant it. He talked about it ad nasuam and targetted any woman who was not willing to play his game. Russell was an asshole.

I buy that Colton is an elitist twit who has had little to no exposure to anyone but people like himself. I buy that he thought he was making joking references to Oz and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I buy that his attitude towards Bill was based on Bill's not having a profession that Colton believes is acceptable and chasing a dream.

Colton is a elitist twit and I want him off my screen because he is annoying, says all sorts of offensive, stupid, shit, and deserves a real world slap upside the head. I have a sneaking suspicion that he is getting that slap as we type. I hope that it hurts like hell and that it forces him to grow the fuck up.

He just doesn't say what he is saying with venom. It comes off like he is hanging out with college friends telling really bad jokes and giggling over them. It is horrible but nothing in his body language makes me think that he means any of it. Except that he thinks Bill is poor and poor because he chose a crappy profession and that he is an idiot for that reason.

Colton needs to move the hell out of Alabama and go live with people who are not like him. Then he will grow up or slink back home and really be a racist bastard.

lids

lids

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Also, by making Colton the star of the show - by showing his whole tribe deferring to him and kissing his ass and "I need to yell at the Oompa Loompa, one of you bring him to me while the others continue to fan me" - they're, however subtly, endorsing the behaviour.

I disagree. TPTB didn't make Colton the star, his tribe made him the star. TPTB have to show everyone deferring to Colton... because that's what they're doing. For TPTB to somehow omit that fact or bend over backwards to make sense of why this is happening would skew the story. In real life, people defer to stupid people all the time... for no reason and also because they fear humiliation, hold prejudices, and/or lack morals.

All of these elements of people's personalities usually go unspoken - as the people themselves might not even see those flaws in themselves. I think at the reunion those things might be brought up. But for the producers to try to make the contestants face these social constructs within the context of the game changes the purpose of the game. The game is about winning and what people will do to win. If these people care about gross national happiness or people's feelings being hurt, viewers root for them, but for some that's not important to the game.

In the case of Colton, no one roots for him. I haven't seen anybody say that he is awesome, or even a good player. As TPTB are showing him, (and as he naturally is) he appears to be a cautionary tale, even though he hasn't met his demise just yet. His demise is looming out there like a smoke monster. It's going to go badly for him.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

In real life, people defer to stupid people all the time... for no reason and also because they fear humiliation, hold prejudices, and/or lack morals.

When, on Survivor, did we ever see someone defer to a stupid person before Tocantins "for no reason"? There's always a reason on Survivor. They've just stopped showing them.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I don't even think the people on his tribe like Colton. I think Tarzan is the closest to liking him. Mike was trying to hold back laughter when Colton was ripping into Leif. Mike admitted to pushing Colton's button by telling him that he saw Leif and Bill talking. Mike knew that Colton would be pissed and would demand to know what they were talking about and probably knew that Colton would act like an ass. It was clearly an attempt to drive a wedge between Colton and Leif. Jay knows what is happening and is simply trying to survive the insanity. I can't believe that Leif likes Colton. I have no idea how the others feel.

It could very well be that Colton has been targetted as the perfect goat to take to the finals. It could be that his alliance mates are willing to use Colton to deflect the heat from them. Heck, we get to vote potential power players before the merge without actually hurting our current tribe that badly. They don't think they need the muscle because Men vs Women never has that physical of an element to it, until the tribes are swapped, so vote out potential future immunity winners.

Colton is probably being used by Jonas and Troyzan. Leif is probably annoyed with Colton but not ready to buck his alliance. Tarzan strikes me as not being all there and there is little that Jay and Mike can do.

I don't think for a second that anyone is taking away any positive feelings for Colton. At best he has come off as a petulant brat who is an elitist and has no idea what it is like to live in the real world and does not have enough common sense to not act like an ass. At worst he has come off as a racist who fits every negative stereotype of a gay man. Nothing about how is beng editted is positive.

Russell had some defenders and Probst was talking about how much Russell was loved, and he was by many. I don't hear anyone in any interview or in any way saying that Colton is getting a positive response based on his edit.

Philipscomments

Philipscomments

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I will be sitting on the edge of my seat with popcorn in hand, waiting for the conversation and the facial expressions when Sabrina finds out what went down at TC. I want her to open up a can of whupass on Colton when she finds out what a weaselly little bigot she gave the idol to.

I pray the guys set Colton up to feel he's got nothing to worry about so he won't use the idol, and blindside the hell out of him.