20-4: 2012.01.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

180 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

From TVGuide.com:

Ben and his 13 would-be soul mates visit Park City, Utah, for kayaking, rappelling, fishing, horseback riding, a rain-soaked dinner and a concert by country star Clay Walker. Before Ben sends two gals packing, there's romancing and sniping as well. Next stop: Puerto Rico.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Oh Ben - you arrogant, boring, shallow ass.

Seems like Ben is a bit arrogant, can't believe how harsh he was with Samantha. It's like he couldn't take somebody speaking up to him. Another example he cut Emily right off. So he just expects everybody to kiss his ass it looks like.

I don't read spoilers but I hope he picks Courtney and she makes an ass of him.

Blakely gained points with me tonight, wish I knew somebody who could foil my hair for me. Seriously, I am broke and highlights are expensive... also that is a nice thing to do for another girl there.

Has he even spoke to Jamie?

Didn't think Monica would do the limo cry.

mylittlehipster

mylittlehipster

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Where exactly is that canyon pool? Looks gorgeous!

Emily was wrong to try to go against Courtney. Girl, she is PROFESSIONAL. Courtney knows exactly how to play Ben (notice how she played the "wah wah things are so hard" card before the other girls went to him about her first, which was so smart) and you have nothing on her evil skills. Best to just be cute and nice and keep out of the drama.

Edited by mylittlehipster, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:04 PM.

monkfish

monkfish

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

I thought Monica was an upbeat woman just enjoying herself and was sad to see her crying and repeating the standard lines about giving up on hope of finding love.

portergirl99

portergirl99

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Wow. I hope Panama Ben does pick Courtney. They deserve each other. The take away from this episode? Don't second guess Ben or any of his decisions. Also, note to Courtney.......quoting Charlie Sheen multiple times? Not edgy, just kind of sad.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Or Elyse? Who are these people?

I've decided I don' t like the way feisty bachelorettes are forced to hold their breath and hope for the last rose. There's something very misogynistic about the way it usually plays out.... "Oh you have an opinion and are comfortable sharing it, you must be shown to be on the brink. We don't like that kind of thing here". Once in a while it doesn't bother me, but this season, with the way it happened to Shawntel, Emily, and even crazy Jenna, I am seeing a little too much of it.

Ben sucks, but these dates are amazing.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Ben really has zero conversational skills. Paddle a canoe. Awkward silence. Kiss. Last week, walk up the bridge. Fear. Kiss. And so on, and so on. Makes me miss Ashley. She really made an effort to keep the conversation flowing on her dates.

And he can't really ride either. He looked so awkward flopping around.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I was so disappointed that Monica cried in the limo. Up to now I thought she had zero interest in Ben, and I thought we might get treated to the 1st bachelorestte to ever admit in the limo that she didn't care for the bachelor, but had a great time meeting new friends, seeing the sights and enjoying the food.

Was Casey wearing a maternity top and no pants at the cocktail party? Speaking of Casey, I take back saying last week that I thought she was very nice.

I feel so bad for Jennifer. She seems too vulnerable for this show, and if she is not the final one she will likely be truly heartbroken.

Edited by garden, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:11 PM.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

And he can't really ride either. He looked so awkward flopping around.

I quite enjoyed that moment where the horse went jumping into the stream and he looked like he was going to be bucked off.

I was disappointed that he didn't buff up some more before the show started. He looked positively ordinary when he took his shirt off on Jennifer's date.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I really don't like Ben. I hope he does end up with Courtney. She just wants to win. She doesn't want Ben. So at least I could laugh at how he will be used by her. Ben's attitude is disgusting. Why are these women fighting over him?

It never works when someone tries to tell the Bachelor or Bachelorette that someone in the house is not being real with them. The Bach always gets defensive and wants to protect the person.

And Ben that was a beaver lodge not a beaver dam.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Ben is an arrogant jerk, on this show just to soothe his ego. Courtney is a jerk just to cause a reaction, and appears to be on this show for the money.

Alright Bachelor, you've gone to the well (crater, whatever) one too many times with these daredevil dates. We get it. If you can stomach an activity involving a harness, you prove you can stomach dating an arrogant jackass. Get a new idea for a date already!

This show could really use a second simultaneous bachelor to help subdue the hubris.

erinjsnark

erinjsnark

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

The single most annoying reality-tv conversation conceit was going on full force tonight.

"Ben, there's this person who I don't like."
"well, I don't know who this person is, but I'd like to know."
"See, this person is different than you know."

Seriously. Are they afraid of using proper pronouns? We all know you're talking about a girl. How about she instead of the awkwardly bland this person.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Courtney knows exactly how to play Ben (notice how she played the "wah wah things are so hard" card before the other girls went to him about her first, which was so smart)

I hope he feels like a real fool when he sees the show tonight.

There's something very misogynistic about the way it usually plays out.... "Oh you have an opinion and are comfortable sharing it, you must be shown to be on the brink. We don't like that kind of thing here".

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. It's like just smile and act like you agree with everything Ben says and you will be fine or else you will be labeled a troublemaker or unstable. Reminds me of my ex boyfriend the Narcissist, he was great at doing crap like that, this is a form of gaslighting.

SilverLake0315

SilverLake0315

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Also, note to Courtney.......quoting Charlie Sheen multiple times? Not edgy, just kind of sad.

If wanting to repeatedly punch Courtney in the face is wrong, I don't want to be right. I really wish he didn't know that she's a "model", because I 100% agree with everyone who has previously suggested that is the only reason he's so enamored with her.

I was really surprised by Monica crying in the limo. When they first showed her face, I said out loud, "Are you actually going to try to sell me on having feelings for Ben? Did you even have one conversation with him this entire time?" Totally strange.

Edited by SilverLake0315, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:20 PM.

Excoaster

Excoaster

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Oh me oh my what an episode.

Rachel and Jennifer: Both girls commented on how it was nice to be out in nature all alone with Ben. Uhm, except for that camera crew and sound guy and maybe a producer near by.

Emily: Should keep her mouth shut. Crazy Jealous doesn't play with Ben. I guess she missed all those other seasons. It's the kiss of death to rip on other women.

Monica: Wow- holy big boobs batman. She pulled out the big guns tonight, too little too late.

Lindzi: I wish someone would tell her to please cut her bangs or pull them out of her face. I can't see all that eyeliner that she has packed on.

Nikki: or really this one goes out to Ben: You are out on a balcony and it is snowing. The girl you are with is wearing a strapless dress because she is trying to impress you. Be a man and give her your coat!

Casey B - Cute but a smush face sometimes. She shouldn't cry.

Casey S- Had no idea she was friends with Courtney. Disappointing.

Courtney- If she touches her hair one more time I am going to fly through my tv and rip her hand off myself.

Jaime - I like her, but I forgot about her again! She needs to step it up.

Blakely- I got the man vibe tonight. Same with Monica. Way more manly than Ben.

But the best moment of the show tonight goes to Jennifer. She read that "No trespassing" sign, then said "that's a bad sign". Get it? I cracked up but I think she didn't even realize she made a funny.

Edited by Excoaster, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:23 PM.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

This show could really use a second simultaneous bachelor to help subdue the hubris.

LOL, calling Constantine!

Jamie? There's a Jamie?

eta

Casey S- Had no idea she was friends with Courtney. Disappointing.

She reminded me of the meek girl who's afraid of the mean girl so she hangs with the mean girl and does her bidding to take the heat away from herself.

Edited by torreador, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:22 PM.

lilshorty

lilshorty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

I am thoroughly entertained by Courtney. She is so honest about all of the other girls. It's not a sorority. In the end only one girl is going to win and all the other girls just seem like they don't want it enough if you ask me.

jlc1967

jlc1967

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

This was the first show of this season that I have watched, and I only made it 30 minutes. Turned off the TV and went back to the book I'm currently reading. About Nazis. Yes, I chose Nazis over this pathetic group.

Ben is no catch. It's bizarre to hear all these women coo over him. I saw his photo on a magazine cover at the supermarket, and then looked at the crowd around me, and there were easily 10 or 12 men more attractive than him waiting in line with their groceries. And I live in DC, people.

I will go to my grave convinced that Courtney is a plant.

Oh, and I felt bad for Lindzi with the horseback riding. Must've killed her to be around a bunch of amateurs. I'm dead serious -- it's hard to be really good at something and have to endure it with others who don't know what they're doing. Not that I've experienced that but I assume it can be pretty frustrating.

Carlare

Carlare

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

I defended Ben at the beginning of the season, but he was really harsh with Samantha and I'm seeing the arrogance others have mentioned. He seemed disgusted and angry with her because she wasn't all over him. The show isn't done airing here yet. Ben and Jennifer are in the middle of their date getting drenched. It seemed when he was talking to her he was just daring her to screw up somehow. My opinion of him has changed.

ranchgirl

ranchgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

I am beginning to think that Ben and Courtney are a good match for each other. I didn't like what I saw in either of them tonight. The previews for next week look even worse. If he ends up picking her at the end, I have a feeling he might look back to the time when Emily tried to warn him and wish he had paid more attention.

Excoaster

Excoaster

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Ben is no catch. It's bizarre to hear all these women coo over him. I saw his photo on a magazine cover at the supermarket, and then looked at the crowd around me, and there were easily 10 or 12 men more attractive than him waiting in line with their groceries. And I live in DC, people

I agree! He reminds me of the cave man from the Geico commercial.

MrsBoulez

MrsBoulez

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Frankly Emily is just too smart and clued in to reality to be on a reality show. Though she certainly shot herself in the foot tonight, she should cut her losses and go find someone who can keep up with her!

Arkay

Arkay

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

These dates are bordering on sadistic already, and for what? When in real life will a vineyard owner and his wife need to climb a suspension bridge or rappel down a canyon? How exactly does this "build trust in a relationship?"
Ben is a combination of dorky and narcissistic. I live in NYC and there are a thousand Bens on each block. He is so ordinary. He also looks so dumb trying to flaunt his mad outdoor skillz but doing everything so poorly....I thought he would fall right off the horse when they waded into the stream.
On Ashley's season he seemed to be more of a conversationalist and here it's all about "oh this is pretty, oh this is romantic" and then nothing else. The dates just drag, even when the producers are trying to stir up drama with the girls' phobias.
Somewhere around now, Ben must be drunk dialing Courtney, because this episode should be a rude awakening if he hasn't found out her true colors by the end of filming.
Emily is intelligent and pretty and way too good for Ben. It's disturbing to see her crying over him. You can do better, Emily!

Rozen

Rozen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Emily hit the nail on the head when she commented that she worries about his judgment if he's so blind to Courtney's two-faced nature. Listen to yourself girl, run!

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

I am convinced Courtney is a plant. She is a horrible actress. Her words and actions seem measured and calculated. Unless you are Charlie Sheen and it is 2010, no one says "winning". I am not surprised that Emily can see through Courtney. She seems to be the only one in the group with two brain cells. I liked Casey S. better when she was just sitting there looking pretty. I don't read spoilers, so I am hoping that Courtney is the final one standing. It would serve the dumb arse right.

I live in NYC and there are a thousand Bens on each block.

I live in NYC too, and if I saw Ben on the subway I wouldn't give him a second glance.

Edited by Firthient, Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:03 PM.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

God, Ben and Rachel's date was one of the most boring, awkward dates I've ever seen on this show. Now I know what happens when two super-boring people go out on a date together. That was tragic.

New drinking game:
  • Drink every time Ben mentions Ashley. I know other leads have referenced the previous Bachelor/ette on their seasons, but I just don't remember any of them talking about it so incessantly. It's nuts the way he's brought it up on almost every single individual date. Then again, I'm beginning to suspect that Ashley's rejection of Ben is the only interesting thing about him and his go-to topic of conversation.
  • Drink every time Kacie B. says "Ben and I have a connection." She seems really sweet, but I just want to slap her and tell her to stop crying over Ben, because she's way too good for him.
  • Drink every time Courtney manipulates Ben -- no don't do that! You'd die of alcohol poisoning.
I've always known how fake this show is, but tonight really, really emphasized it. First of all, after seeing the real reason Samantha left on Reality Steve's site months ago, her conversation with Ben was ridiculous. Fake, fake, fakity fake fake. I was appalled. (In case anyone wants to know: She developed feelings for one of the married producers and asked to leave in San Francisco, but they made her stay for an extra week so she could have that super-fake conversation with Ben. And nothing actually happened between her and the producer, BTW. Second, three episodes ago, Monica was rightfully saying she didn't have any feelings for Ben. But this week, she's devastated by being sent home? Not likely!

I really wanted to like Emily, since we share an alma mater, but she totally played herself tonight. Even worse, it looks like she's going to do it all over again next week. Too bad, so sad.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Courtney is trolling everyone. She makes Vienna look subtle. And yet, it's actually working? I loved the moment at the end when everyone was raising their glasses, and she said "I can hold mine the highest" or something like that. Honestly, her face and most of the things she says remind me of a pre-schooler. I guess Ben likes that kind of look.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

Okay, Courtney is either a plant or really pissed off someone in the production department to get the edit she's getting. Anyone who quotes Charlie Sheen multiple times, not to mention twice in the same "confessional" sequence has to have an angle beyond "catching" Ben like a fish.

I'm beginning to buy into some conspiracy theories I read that, after the "I choose me" season, they put a girl in each season and tell the bachelor "If you don't feel like you've found your match, choose this gal. We'll make it look good for a couple months, then you can go your separate ways." I'm betting Courtney is that gal.

If this is an actual relationship? That whole little insecure routine Courtney did on the group date to get the rose was so manipulative. And that Ben fell for it? That tells me those two deserve each other. I'd even go so far as to say they're made for each other.

I haven't disliked a bachelor this much since Bob. Yikes. Emily and Samantha really walked right under the bus for him. I'm shocked that Monica went home and not Emily after that display.

Edited by SanLynn, Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

awaken

awaken

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Honestly, I find the dates so boring. Rachel was in a gorgeous location with him, but I really wouldn't want to be in the middle of a lake with nothing else to do, with someone I don't even know, then sit and have champagne and no conversation, and then dinner, and then roast marshmallows and the most interesting things you can come up with to talk about are crows' feet and beaver dams and every single time they drag out "relationship history". I mean, ask about each other's childhoods, college days, career, political views, where they've traveled, everyday life...and did she actually say "Ben and me's relationship"? I don't see her with him at all.

I kept thinking Ashley and brad's amusement park date would have been more fun and given them more to do and more natural conversation points!

Then Jennifer's rapelling date- what did they actually do once they leaped? Tread water and kiss, for how long?

And the fishing looked dull, too. They all seemed to be standing around listlessly casting fishing line and I bet they were all pissed that they had to wear those waders! The most interesting part was Blakely's stomping afterwards! I really thought they should have made them catch their own lunch, and then cook only Courtney's fish, and see how the women react to the butchering and each only getting one bite of fish for the meal, a la Survivor!

And Samantha- she feels like she should have a ring on her finger already? And she has been on 3 group dates? I am curious what "highly emotional" stuff he saw on the group dates that turned him off so much! I feel like there was a lot there we didn't see that turned him against her, not just her questioning him that night.

Them all being so heartbroken and worked up over him is so implausible! It makes it harder to get into the show, even though I know it's fake. He is just so normal. I don't see these women looking twice at him in real life.

I continue to like Jamie for some reason, and am disappointed that they don't give her any airplay or show her interactions with Ben!

Overall disappointed with who went home because none of it was shocking- we already knew Samantha and Monica had no connection with him!

The most "real" connection seems to be with Kacie B., perhaps Nikki at some point as well.

And whatever happened to Monica and Blakely?? And all the furor over Blakely just sort of disappeared! Hmmm.

Crumpet

Crumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

God, Ben and Rachel's date was one of the most boring, awkward dates I've ever seen on this show. Now I know what happens when two super-boring people go out on a date together. That was tragic.

And she got a rose! I couldn't believe it. I have better conversations in my building's elevator.

You'd think that, as a model, Courtney would know to put some powder on before her interviews. The glare off her forehead was blinding. She's such a lame villain and I can't stand that awful Paris Hilton/Kardashian baby-voice thing she does with Ben.