The Soul Man

• Please log in to reply

45 replies to this topic

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

TV Land will be creating another original sitcom called "Have Faith," starring Cedric the Entertainer. Here's a link with more info.

TV Land has picked up its fifth original sitcom, “Have Faith,” starring Cedric “The Entertainer,” it was announced today by Larry W. Jones, president of TV Land. The network has ordered 12 episodes for the first season, which is set to premiere in June of this year.

The sitcom, which was created by Cedric and “Hot in Cleveland” creator Suzanne Martin, revolves around Cedric’s character, Reverend Boyce “The Voice” Ballentine, an R&B superstar-turned-minister who takes over as preacher of his father’s church. Niecy Nash ("Reno 911") also stars as the reverend’s wife, Lolli. The pilot also features John Beasley (“Everwood”) as his father, Wesley Jonathan (“What I Like About You”) as his younger brother, and Jazz Raycole (“My Wife and Kids”) as his daughter. The character of Reverend Boyce originated on a second season episode of “Hot in Cleveland” in which Cedric guest-starred.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Bumping this up...

The title of the show's been changed to "The Soul Man." A Facebook page has been created for it. They also made a video for the character's hit song, 'Sex Wichoo', which was mentioned in its backdoor pilot on "Hot In Cleveland." That Jheri curl mullet is a hot mess! They got the '80s vibe down, though.

The show started production today according to the Facebook page.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Bumping this up since the show debuts tomorrow. I won't get to watch until TV Land posts it on their site Thursday.

I better not be the only person watching this. I think it's going to be interesting.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

The bad: Cedric isn't the best actor. And his TV wife - way too much cleavage for a Reverend's wife.
The good: It's always great to have a show with sassy actors... I'm enjoying it.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

And his TV wife - way too much cleavage for a Reverend's wife.

I think that's the point, with the church women being catty and jealous of her. Cedric's character is new to being a reverend, and I don't think this specific family grew up stereotypically overly religious.

I laughed at points, but mostly at the end. I'm sure with time this'll be a good show, similar to the way "Hot In Cleveland" and "The Exes" grew on me.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I'm not sure whether or not if it had anything to do with Niecy Nash being previously married to a pastor--the cleavage thing. She said the women hated her or something like that. But, they were definitely jealous and after her husband.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

This week's episode was an improvement from the pilot. If the show continues on the same path then TV Land has a new hit. John Beasley as the father is hilarious.

The only character I don't like is the daughter. Something about Jazz Raycole's acting seems faked and forced.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I just saw the pilot, she didn't sign up to be the First Lady of a church but was a singer's wife and the deal got changed. In real life as in the show his celebrity status along with being the retired pastor's son in combination probably got him the job despite the First Lady not being "proper" role model.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

I just caught up with the latest two episodes. I just noticed the photo of Cedric with Barack Obama in last week's episode, and in this week's I cracked up at the "They sure do go to the kitchen a lot." Escaping to the kitchen is a typical plot device on these shows. Lyric's nutty birth dance cracked me up.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

I'm really liking this show. I'm glad that both Cedric and Niecy Nash have found a sitcom that really works for them and showcases their talent.

Loved the "Save some for the mailman" line.

Edited by johchi, Jul 19, 2012 @ 12:30 AM.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 3:09 AM

I'm starting to dig this show...slowly. This show doesn't seem to have any focus. There isn't much going on in the home and the characters of the church members haven't been built up enough. This show just lacks substance. I'll give it a few more episodes only because I love Niecy Nash.

I would have liked them to have a second child. It just seems odd to only have one child in the house, plus I'm not a fan of the acting skills of the girl (woman?) who plays Lyric.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

It just seems odd to only have one child in the house, plus I'm not a fan of the acting skills of the girl (woman?) who plays Lyric.

You're right, she's a woman, if you want to be accurate. The actress is 24. I don't think she's the best either, though I thought she was funny in last week's episode when she did that wacky birth dance. I think the problem is that she doesn't seem to have much character development yet, and her sole purpose seems to be there for the proof of Boyce and Lolli being parents. I don't think she necessarily needs a sibling, but maybe a circle of friends, and have her doing things related to school and being a teenager.

And the issue with the church is that there are no regular church attendees. There's a different group of church people each week. They need regular or recurring characters to be members of the church congregation.

But this show is still new and has plenty of time to develop. I like it and am glad that a good black sitcom's on the air.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Didn't think I'd love the show but I do! The beginning theme cracks me up. Not crazy about the dad though, he reminds me of the dad in Roc who never had a good word for Roc but was always on Joey's side.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

I don't think Barton's showing favorites towards his sons. In this week's episode, he seemed like he was about to put his foot up Stamps' butt! "I'm a black ninja!" cracked me up.

Anthony Anderson appears to have lost weight. When did he get so slim? He looked good!

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Okay, maybe I should rephrase....I really mean his always busting Boyce's balls as a pastor. He isn't the pastor anymore, why not let Boyce find his own way? 'I'm a black Ninja' was funny though lol.

Anthony Anderson first started slimming down when he did Law & Order...he said that he felt he should be a smaller size since he was playing a cop and once L&O got cancelled decided to keep being healthy. He looks good big or small and love that gap!

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I'm really enjoying this show. I love all the guest stars they bring out - Yvette Nicole Brown, Sherri Shepard... and Cedric has grown on me as an actor. It's really funny.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Just saw episode 4 "I Wanna Spend time Witchoo" - pretty funny. Cedric has a very endearing quality and he's a funny dude.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

I've seen Tuvok's story of the charismatic Baptist and mainline Lutheran mixed marriage. Make that I am living a similar story. This is the first sitcom I have watched during its run since I can't remember when

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

You're right, she's a woman, if you want to be accurate. The actress is 24. I don't think she's the best either, though I thought she was funny in last week's episode when she did that wacky birth dance. I think the problem is that she doesn't seem to have much character development yet, and her sole purpose seems to be there for the proof of Boyce and Lolli being parents. I don't think she necessarily needs a sibling, but maybe a circle of friends, and have her doing things related to school and being a teenager.

And the issue with the church is that there are no regular church attendees. There's a different group of church people each week. They need regular or recurring characters to be members of the church congregation.

But this show is still new and has plenty of time to develop. I like it and am glad that a good black sitcom's on the air.

You were right about it getting better with regular church attendees. I absolutely love Kim Coles and her sidekick. They still haven't given much to Lyric in the way of friends or storylines, but I'll give it the rest of the season. I would also like to see the beauty shop scenes develop - there's a lot of potential there as well.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Since they spent an episode establishing Tuvok's wife as a woman not being comfortable with a charismatic church I can see them as a reoccuringb role next season.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

Really not feeling the Stamps character....it isn't funny for a grown-assed man to be such a no job havin' mooch, plus he looks like he should be chasing boys instead of girls.

Maybe with the wonderful Loretta Devine joining the show next season as Barton's ex-wife, he'll get that stick out of his ass.

The show is cute, still haven't had a kee-kee laughing moment though.

Edited by vixenstud, Aug 30, 2012 @ 8:37 PM.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

I'm loving this show, if for no other fact that Cedric the Entertainer and I are twins separated at birth, LOL! Then, there's the added joy of seeing how Nicey Nash will showcase her "twins" every week. It's kinda cool that TV Land has revived the art of simple, old-school sitcoms like we baby boomers grew up on.

lovemydogs

lovemydogs

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I do not like Nicey Nashs' voice, and if I have to hear the snip-it of her saying"lack of booty makes you moody" one more time,I'm going to shoot the TV. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Cedric isn't the best actor. And his TV wife - way too much cleavage for a Reverend's wife.

There's nothing wrong with boobies. "Boobies feed the world!"

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

Am I the only one (next to my Ma) who chuckles when the singer sings The Soul Man during the opening?

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

So the show is renewed! I like this show. It doesn't have the most amazing writing or acting, but it's a decent, wholesome show that is a helluva lot better than it's counterparts (i.e. The Ricky Smiley Show). I just wish they'd do something with Lyric. Perhaps a recasting will help? Plus she needs real storylines.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

June 19th second season premiere

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

I just wish they'd do something with Lyric. Perhaps a recasting will help? Plus she needs real storylines.

I didn't notice her is the second season premier. Judging by the promos and even with the rest of his family and aid Lester in the recovery room it seemed as Lyric got "Chucked" Cunningham. No church scenes this week, only the Pastor and Lester recording a podcast.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

I looked at the opening credits and the actress who played her, Jazz Raycole, wasn't listed. She has a pattern of appearing in different shows for a short while then leaving or getting written out. Saw a photo of her on their fridge, though. No clue what's going on with that.

Edited to add: Tweet on her page (with a photo) where she and Niecy Nash talk about "missing" each other. Hmm...

And John Beasley who plays Barton is now a "special guest star."

The show seemed like it changed, and like it had something missing. All the crazy characters in the church made the show for me. It's only the premiere episode, so we just have to see how things turn out as the season progresses.

Edited by just checking, Jun 24, 2013 @ 7:48 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Well it is official Rev Boyce dropped Lyric off at boarding school to be replaced by Stamps. How old is Stamps supposed to be? He looks like he should be the son, not the little brother who quit school to help his big brother's music career. Another churchless episode. I am fearing the preaching scenes have been tweaked out of the show along with the daughter