Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

From ryanseacrest.com

First Look: Cast of Bravo’s ‘Shahs of Sunset’ Revealed [PHOTO]
By Sadao Turner
Posted on January 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM

As anticipation mounts for the premiere of Bravo’s new reality show “Shahs of Sunset“, curious fans of the network — which serves as home to the “Real Housewives” franchise — are getting their first look at the cast in a newly-released photo.

The show follows a group of young Persian-American friends who sport chromed-out cars, logo-ridden purses and designer outfits, juggling living and working in Los Angeles while balancing the demands of their families and traditions.

“These men and women are hysterical,” Ryan said on his radio show during an interview with Andy Cohen, beloved Bravo personality and Executive Vice-President of Original Programming and Development. “They grew up together, and are living in Southern California, and they’re trying to balance their social lives and work lives. Some of them are hot, and some of them are not so hot, but funny.”

Cohen added, “They also spend a lot of money. You know it’s great because Bravo is always putting a spotlight on different affluent lifestyles. This is a group of people that doesn’t exist on television anywhere, and thats another reason that I’m excited to do the show. Its new, and different.”

Andy Cohen: Persian-American Stars of ‘Shahs of Sunset’ Will Be Fresh Faces For TV [AUDIO]

“Shahs” is set in the area between Beverly Hills and West L.A. — nicknamed Tehrangeles, a combo of Los Angeles and Iran’s capital Tehran — which is home to approximately 500,000 Iranians, the largest population outside of Iran. An incredibly affluent community, the income of an Iranian-American is 50 percent higher than that of the average American.

Produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions, “Shahs of Sunset” will premiere in March on Bravo. Follow Ryan Seacrest Productions on Twitter at @RSP to keep up on details leading up to the premiere!

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I've been waiting for someone to start a thread on this! I know they're comparing it to Jersey Shore but I'm thinking (hoping) it'll be less trashy.

I wonder how much Farsi we'll get to hear since it seems as though they'll be interacting with their families through out the season.

A part from looking forward to some of the more shallow aspects, I hope they include a segment or two on the deliciousness that is Persian cuisine because it really is amazing and there are loads of Persian restaurants in LA.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

If this goes like I think it will, there will be a lot to snark about. Absolute train-wreck quality.

Though I agree with you, avaleigh, I think any food we see will look quite delicious. Housewives of New Jersey worthy.

Edited by dreamy, Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:19 AM.

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

The first trailer.

I find it a little refreshing that they decided to go with a somewhat older group. (By older I mean in comparison to most of the cast of the Jersey Shore since that's what most people are comparing the show to.) I'm shocked that the guy Sammy is only 35. IMO he looks like he could easily be 15 years older.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I hope to goodness it isn't anything like Most Eligible Dallas.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

The show debuts on Sunday night, several videos have been posted on Bravo's site.

From the Old Country to Beverly Hills Shahs of Sunset Season 1 Previews

From Shahs of Sunset Facebook:

When the revolution happened, they had to pick up and flee the old country...and ended up in Beverly Hills.When the revolution happened, they had to pick up and flee the old country...and ended up in Beverly Hills.

Edited by Tafatia, Mar 7, 2012 @ 6:31 AM.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

And a preview from The New York Times.

I love the opening paragraph:

That “Shahs of Sunset,” a reality show about affluent, not-so-young Iranian-Americans in Los Angeles, is coming out while war with Iran is being discussed might seem opportunistic. But “Shahs” could actually serve a valuable function. You can imagine the average contemporary Iranian watching it and thinking: “Ah, that’s why we needed the revolution. To get rid of these people.”

HappyBoy1981

HappyBoy1981

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

I give this show one season before it gets pulled. Its going to be a muslim "Leave it to Beaver" but instead of Beaver getting sent to his room as a punishment, he is just going to cut his head off and dad is going to post it on Youtube.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

I loved this comment from a Los Angeles Times article:

Reza Aslan, the Iranian-born author of "No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam," agreed: "It's a silly reality show.... Only the most moronic viewers would watch 'Shahs of Sunset' and extract an opinion about Iranians and Iran."

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

I'm pretty much tapped out on reality shows filled with vapid, spoiled obnoxious people. Just because these folks are Iranian doesn't make them intriguing. I think it will do well for the first couple of episodes and then it will go the way of American Muslim.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

I hope that it will be good but only because I am hankering and hoping for something fresh and different, but as a Bravo reality show I am expecting it to be to silly and trashy not instructive and uplifting. It has the Real Housewives of Atlanta as a lead in so IMO Bravo has given it the most choice spot on its schedule for a new show. I expect to learn a little something because I do not have in-depth knowledge of Iranian / Persian culture, but of the wardrobe, food, decor and entertainment style variety, but I am not expecting this show to be a substantive primer on Iranians just like I don't expect the Real Housewives of Atlanta and Real Housewives of New Jersey to be my primer on the culture that members of those casts come from.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Tafatia, you are absolutely on point; this will have very little to do with the lives of most Iranians Americans living in the United States. But I think it will be train-wreck TV, that may be amusing at times. I agree that it probably only has one season in it.

But I admit, I will be DVRing the first few episodes.

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

LaffyTaffy
I'm pretty much tapped out on reality shows filled with vapid, spoiled obnoxious people. Just because these folks are Iranian doesn't make them intriguing. I think it will do well for the first couple of episodes and then it will go the way of American Muslim.

I know what you mean LaffyTaffy.....my love affair with just about ALL reality shows has hit a sour note and I'm ALMOST ready to walk away but I will watch this for a few episodes, if that, to see how it is. I didn't know American Muslim had bit the dust. I watched it for a couple of episodes then forgot about it.

Anyone know if Sister Wives is still on or has that bit the dust also?

Edited by prosperity2day, Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

There's already an overload of shows to watch on Sunday nights, there's no way I can fit in another one that will more than likely disappoint. And the girl that says she hates ugly people, has she looked in the mirror?

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I hope some of them are at least "rich" and likeable and don't take themselves too seriously. Otherwise it may be a FAIL. GG, who looks rodentesque (and not the "exotic beauty" she's described as in her Bravo bio - her hair is her saving grace) made a quip that keeps airing on the commercials that has already put me off about her.

Reza has 'breakout star' potential. He'll be on WWHL tonight. I'll definitely catch out the first couple episodes.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

prmami are you talking about her "I don't like ugly people and ants." comment?

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

I think it was one about a rottweiler about to bite off a chihuahua's head. The 'ugly people' comment didn't help, either. lol

Edited by prmami, Mar 11, 2012 @ 3:25 PM.

SouthrnChic5

SouthrnChic5

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Dear God, these people are effing miserable.

cyberfruit

cyberfruit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I wish we could do live updates.

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

PhillipKyler
And the girl that says she hates ugly people, has she looked in the mirror?

LMAO..that's the same thing I said.

prmami
Reza has 'breakout star' potential. He'll be on WWHL tonight. I'll definitely catch out the first couple episodes.

I only watched 20 mintues of this because I had something else to do but in the short time I was watching I took a liking to Reza and if this reality show last longer than a few episodes I'm pretty sure HE WILL BE the breakout star. He's funny, likable and really believes he's handsome.....some of the ingredients needed to keep viewers talking about you.

SunBun

SunBun

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Just switched this show off; why is it an hour?!
I could hardly take these jerks for 30 minutes. And yes, what a bunch of vapid, disgusting creatures. If Bravo was going for a rich, older Persian spin on "Jersey Shore", it failed miserably; at least most of the JS cast are genuinely funny and likable, unlike these folks. Aside from the gay dude, none of those "Shahs" appeared to be happy in their lives or remotely interesting.

Best/worst part was the morose chubby chick sitting there hum-hawing about how much marriage and weddings suck while her friend is trying on wedding dresses. I'm sure that friend also appreciated the giant eye-roll talking head she gave about being her bridesmaid. What a rude bitch. Speaking of rude bitches, that gal who hates ugly people was one big ball of ugly with her entitled arrogance and constant shit-stirring; and getting all worked up because she thought another gal was implying that she shopped at H&M?! Good Lord...perspective: please get some.

Will not be watching that trash again.

Arenal

Arenal

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Sammy the playa? I guess if you're seeking a short, chubby, balding fedora model.

cyberfruit

cyberfruit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Will someone please slap GG the Chihuahua down? So much mouth.

Moncheechee

Moncheechee

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

What the fuck was that?

cyberfruit

cyberfruit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

And that "fight" between Asa and GG was probably the dumbest fight in Bravo history. GG sounded deranged with the switching of the accents to show how hard she was, and Asa was just like, wtf. the entire time.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Damn, where can I get that hour of my life back? What a waste. A bunch of unattractive, shallow morons doing nothing of interest whatsoever.

TuneOut

TuneOut

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Edited by TuneOut, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:24 PM.

KrisPChikn

KrisPChikn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Well that was 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I'm glad I didn't try to stick it out for the entire hour. Nobody other than Reza was even mildly interesting or entertaining. Next.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

My first thought was how unlikeable and full of themselves these people are. BUT as time went on, I was entertained by them.

Reza looks like Hercule Poirot:
http://www.google.co...=1t:429,r:9,s:0

Sammy is gross. How can "hot" chicks sleep with that? I don't care how rich he is, I have a very low gag factor. He is gross.

I like how MJ doesn't feel she has to be married like everyone else.

I love how Asa clearly marches to the tune of her own drum.

GG is an incredible bitch. And she has a scrunched-up face. I will eagerly watch to have someone cut her down a few notches.

I will continue watching because it was a bit of fun. I loved the "hip" pool party, etc.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I liked the tiger.

Edited by Tafatia, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:50 PM.