Nolan/Emily: Friendship As Defined By The Interwebs

• Please log in to reply

207 replies to this topic

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

This is my favorite relationship on the show. I'm fascinated by the idea that Nolan will either save Emily from destroying herself in her quest for revenge or she'll destroy him. Nolan's concern for Emily seems real. I can't tell if she cares for him or if he's a useful tool. Her treatment of Amanda could be a foreshadowing of what will happen to Nolan when he isn't useful anymore. I do think Emily cares for Nolan as much as she's capable. She's just so damaged that she may never be able to really love anyone. I hope we don't find out that she's just playing Nolan and that she cares about him in spite of her efforts to not to care. I was a disconcerted that she seemed more concerned for Jack getting beat up than for Nolan being stabbed.

Justine2003

Justine2003

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

True, although there was never really the right time to show it. By the time she saw him that night, his arm was pretty well wrapped up. (Which is not to say that she couldn't have shown some concern, just to say that by the time she saw him, he was out of mortal danger.)

Nolan's concern for Emily seems real. I can't tell if she cares for him or if he's a useful tool. Her treatment of Amanda could be a foreshadowing of what will happen to Nolan when he isn't useful anymore. I do think Emily cares for Nolan as much as she's capable. She's just so damaged that she may never be able to really love anyone.

Yeah, it's hard to say exactly. Her emotions are so tightly wrapped up and hidden. He was able to get a few tears out of her in an earlier episode--when he said it was a good thing her father wasn't around to see what she has become.

He's something of a moral compass for her. He's done plenty that is morally and legally wrong in the ways he's assisted her, but he also shows more concern for (certain) people's welfare than she does.

Edited by Justine2003, Jan 19, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Nolan is definitely the only person to fully understand the real Emanda - even those privy to some of her plans, like Amily, or to her emotional side (Jack) still never get the whole picture. And that's why I feel he's the crucial person for her character development, and why this relationship is key to what she ultimately becomes.

On a more shallow note, I definitely ship them, but the (pseudo? not so pseudo?) friendship they've got going right now is fascinating as well. I just hope it will evolve, because right now, Emanda's definitely too closed off for any true relationships, romantic or platonic. The "don't touch me" thing just breaks my heart a little.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Emanda's definitely too closed off for any true relationships, romantic or platonic.

That's why I'm trying not to ship Emily/Nolan because she's just not a good romantic partner for anyone right now. I'm so tempted to root for them to hook up. So far, I'm enjoying the friendship, and I agree that Nolan is one of the few people to truly know her. He sees the good and the horrible in her but sticks by her. He's going to be unhappy to find out that she's still going to marry Daniel.

It occurs to me that Nolan's loyalty is to both Emily and David. That could cause problems because Nolan knows that David would want both his daughters to be happy. Emily's actions will harm Charlotte. In order to honor David, Nolan might have to betray Emily to protect Charlotte. Although, Nolan would probably see protecting Charlotte as also protecting Emily from the worst in herself.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 4:24 AM

Awww! I love that there's a separate thread for Nolan/Emanda.

I've shipped Nolan/Emanda since episode 4 and that's definitely the earliest I've ever shipped a TV couple, especially when it's a non-canon couple!

I won't say anymore about it because I don't want to jinx their possibility (which I'm sure will be a long time coming if it ever happens). For now, I like the progression their friendship has taken and hope that Emanda will continue to trust and care about Nolan for the long haul, even if there are bumps in the road.

Luckylyn: I was a disconcerted that she seemed more concerned for Jack getting beat up than for Nolan being stabbed.

FurryFury: The "don't touch me" thing just breaks my heart a little.

I agree with you both. It felt like a step backwards after the previous two wonderful friendship-heavy episodes. But I do feel like Emanda's opening up more to Nolan, so that's something.

Edited by atyleung, Jan 23, 2012 @ 4:35 AM.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

As much as I love Nolan and Emanda's friendship I can't quite get behind them as a couple. I like seeing Nolan as an older brother to Emanda more than anything, pestering her, being there for her when she needs him, and meddling in her love life. To even get to the point where Nolan seems like a semi-viable option for her a lot has to happen. For one Jack and Emanda have to run the course because at this point Emanda, Jack, and even Nolan are hooked on that fantasy.

That said if this a pairing the writers plan to visit a long time down the road however I'll be the first to say I'm interested to see how it'll play out. For whatever it's worth the two of them have oodles of chemistry.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

I'd love to see more backstory on these two. Well, there's probably not a lot of backstory, since (as seen in the Pilot) Nolan hadn't seen her for years. But between Emanda getting emancipated, and then going off for REVENGE training, she must have spent some time with the one guy who her father trusted.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

We do need some more Emily/Nolan backstory but these two together are fantastic. I don't want it to become more than friends though because their friendship is more interesting than any romantic or sexual relationship could be.

supertrix

supertrix

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

We do need some more Emily/Nolan backstory but these two together are fantastic. I don't want it to become more than friends though because their friendship is more interesting than any romantic or sexual relationship could be.

I agree. I'm actually a little surprised that there are Emily/Nolan shippers. I suppose I could be considered a "shipper" for them in that I love their friend"ship", but I don't necessarily see them together romantically. Isn't Nolan gay, anyway? I'd rather see him with a sexy male LI. There aren't enough good gay stories on mainstream tv.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Isn't Nolan gay, anyway?

No, he's equal opportunity.

I'm actually a little surprised that there are Emily/Nolan shippers.

Why? There are shippers for couples that have way less basis than this one. Hell, there are shippers for couples that never even met, or have incompatible orientations. Nolan/Emily actually could get together eventually, if the show lasts long enough and they're not related.

Edited by FurryFury, Jan 24, 2012 @ 5:25 PM.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

I am definitely a Nolan/Emanda shipper but I don't want to see anything happen between them too soon. I prefer my soaps to move plot quickly, but I like the couples I ship to move slow. Besides, Emanda does have to get Jack (and maybe Daniel) out of her heart first and Nolan needs to have a string of relationships with troublemaking guys & gals that mess up their plans.

Well beyond the idea of romance though, I just love their dynamic. Friends, enemies, partners in crimes, whatever the show throws at us. They have my favorite relationship on tv right now because it changes from show to show but remains consistent overall. Sometimes Nolan is her conscience, sometimes he enables her, sometimes he wants to mess her up, sometimes he he just wants to admire her. And Emanda needs him and she hates that she needs him. Worse she seems to like him and she really hates liking anyone. I think that if Emily is supposed to represent the idea of Revenge, Nolan represents Justice. Revenge is payback with no concern for collateral damage. Justice is precise, so much so that the guilty are let go so that the innocent are not punished unfairly (hence the concept of reasonable doubt). Sometimes Revenge & Justice can go together but other times they are far apart.

Since Nolan's loyalty seems to be first to David, then to Emanda, I wonder if he will eventually reach out to Charlotte? If Emanda's plan continue to hurt Charlotte, I hope we get to see how Nolan reconciles these dueling loyalties.

Edited by insanityproject, Jan 26, 2012 @ 2:13 AM.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

In the beginning, Nolan/Emanda shippers were actually surprised there were other N/E shippers out there! But in fact, there are many. Gabe and Emily (VanCamp) have mad chemistry and it's been said that "Daniel loves Emily, Jack loves Amanda, but Nolan is the only one capable of loving both."

Isn't Nolan gay, anyway?

No, he's equal opportunity.

I've actually wondered if doing the whole "3 on the Kinsey scale" thing was the show's way to carry out the Tyler/Nolan plotline without alienating the N/E shippers and leave the door open for the possibility of Nolan/Emanda down the road. They could have just made Nolan completely gay.

Why? There are shippers for couples that have way less basis than this one. Hell, there are shippers for couples that never even met, or have incompatible orientations. Nolan/Emily actually could get together eventually, if the show lasts long enough and they're not related.

With the latest Charlotte events, I am hoping and crossing my fingers that they won't do the sibling-reveal route twice. Besides breaking shipper hearts everywhere, Nolan and Emanda as brother and sister wouldn't add much to the show, as they are already on the same side. Plus, I think it would make Nolan so much more honorable if he were truly doing everything out of fierce loyalty as opposed to blood-related obligation.

Besides, Emanda does have to get Jack (and maybe Daniel) out of her heart first and Nolan needs to have a string of relationships with troublemaking guys & gals that mess up their plans.

I agree. The episodes since the beginning of the year have been hinting at Ashley/Nolan. I don't care for these two together, but I guess it would be necessary.

Edited by atyleung, Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

I get the impression that Ashley and Nolan have a little crush on each other. They seemed to go out of their way in the earlier episodes to antagonize each other...

Right now I'm enjoying the non-sexual Nemanda/ Emolan (LOL!) because there's a type of mileage that you can get from great non-sexual chemistry that romance or sex seems to cap on. Neither Jack nor Daniel can fill in Nolan's shoes in Emanda's life right now.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 2:42 AM

A playlist (regularly updated) for all Nolan/Emanda scenes on Revenge:

YouTube - Nolan and Emily/Amanda Scenes - Revenge

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I think that if Emily is supposed to represent the idea of Revenge, Nolan represents Justice. Revenge is payback with concern for collateral damage. Justice is precise, so much so that the guilty are let go so that the innocent are not punished unfairly (hence the concept of reasonable doubt).

I think that's a really interesting interpretation of what Nolan and Emily represent.

Nolan knows all of Emily in a way that Jack and Daniel can't because she plays a role when she's around them. She doesn't pretend to be anything but herself with Nolan. He is the only person who truly knows Emily and loves her, although they don't always agree. Emily's feelings for Nolan are more ambiguous. Right now, it's a fascinating friendship. If it never went beyond that, I wouldn't mind. At the same time, if way down the line they went in a romantic direction I think I'd enjoy it. Although maybe they should play it like John and Chiana on Farscape. They were close friends who at times seemed attracted to each other, but they never were a romance because they were in love with other people.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I don't think he truly knows her. He doesn't even know that he too is being used and manipulated a lot of the time.

I like their friendship a lot. I don't want to see them as a couple because I don't want it to be Nolan and Amanda's revenge. He's good as the sidekick when useful and an occasional kick in the conscience.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

I get the impression that Ashley and Nolan have a little crush on each other. They seemed to go out of their way in the earlier episodes to antagonize each other...

That's the impression I got as well.

I'm surprised that I've encountered more Emily/Nolan shippers than for any of Emily's canon ships.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

Again, nothing surprising here. For a pairing to be shipped, it has to have some "oomph" that just isn't present in Emanda/Jack (Jack is really kinda boring, and the dynamic isn't that interesting - just a typical childhood friend romance) or Emanda/Daniel (aside from the lying angle, Daniel is pretty wussy anyway). Nolan seems to be, together with Victoria, the most popular character on the show so far, and it's pretty natural (at least for me) to see his dynamic with the main character as the one worth shipping.

Still, I think there are more people supporting canon ships - they just aren't as invested in them, more like casual fans.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

I don't think he truly knows her. He doesn't even know that he too is being used and manipulated a lot of the time.

I think Nolan is the person Emanda comes closest to revealing her true self to. I also think Nolan knows he's being used, but tolerates it because he enjoys being included and needed.

I was very wary of Emanda when she started being nice to Nolan in Episode 1x11 ("Duress"). I immediately was worried that she was putting on an act to appease him so that he would continue to do her bidding. And while it may still indeed be the case, there have been a number of things since then that have put me slightly more comfortable with the possibility that she may really consider him a friend.

Nolan is very needy. It doesn't take much--just some nice words and you're his friend (i.e. Jack). Yet, Emanda has done a lot of "extra" things that just aren't necessary if she is pretending to like him. She didn't need to take him to the shooting range, she didn't need to tell him about her and Daniel's conversation about living together (implied by Nolan's remark, "Wow, first you're evicting the guy and now you're blowing him off?"), she didn't need to have him sitting next to her when she was feeding Amily her lines with Treadwell, she didn't need to show him the Charlotte video, she didn't need to reveal to him her intentions with Treadwell's tapes or her decision to hit pause on revenge.

Also, the return of Emanda's snark at Nolan in the last episode ("Commitment"), while disconcerting, brought me closer to being convinced that she at least likes the idea of having someone familiar around whom she can confide in and unburden some of her thoughts.

Megamos

Megamos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I love Nolan and Emanda's relationship and the fact the they don't even try to hide it. Everyone knows that they are good friends. Daniel doesn't care that his girlfriend is hanging out with this guy and that he shows up 'randomly' at her house all the time. Daniel was even fine with leaving them at the gun range alone too. In the Treadwell episode Emanda introduces Nolan to him as her friend in front of Victoria and she doesn't even bat an eye. Victoria spies on Emanda's house from her balcony all the time and probably sees Nolan coming and going alot. I just find it fascinating that there is a general consensus in the States that people can't have platonic relationships with the opposite sex. Yet here is one being portrayed on TV and everyone (fictional characters and fans) accept it. If the writers choose to take it to the next level eventually, thats fine. But I love the way it is right now.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Maybe everyone assumes Nolan's gay? Or just too strange for a girl like Emanda to interest her sexually?

Megamos

Megamos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Maybe everyone assumes Nolan's gay?

I was assuming that might be part of it. After Tyler was arrested, Nolan and Ashley were at the bar and she was lamenting the fact that she had slept with a psychopath. She says Nolan should know how she feels because he kissed Tyler too and Nolan agrees. Jack was right there and he merely smiled at this. So I'm pretty sure that Jack thinks Nolan is gay and not just bi like he has said to Emanda. Whether people thinks he is gay or not there is a real friendship between he and Em. I think she cares about him inspite of herself, its hard not to like Nolan once you get to know him. He has so much love to give and not alot of people to give it to. He has become quite attached to Emanda (and Jack) and once she realized that she really did need his help I think she started to view him as a real friend. Not just a means to an end. Nolan was able to convince her to put her revenge plans on hold, granted it was because Jack almost got killed but it was Nolan who spoke the words. If he hadnt she would never have considered it. Of course, a false rape charge against her dad is enough to override that though.

Agnes Bean

Agnes Bean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

They have my favorite relationship on tv right now because it changes from show to show but remains consistent overall. Sometimes Nolan is her conscience, sometimes he enables her, sometimes he wants to mess her up, sometimes he he just wants to admire her. And Emanda needs him and she hates that she needs him

I agree so much with this. Their relationship is ever shifting, but every shift makes sense, and it all adds up to a cohesive (if very complicated) whole. I am a shipper, but I'd be happy for them to never hook up in canon, and certainly I wouldn't want them to enter into any real romantic relationship for some time to come. Their tentative friendship is more than enough -- one of my favorite relationships on TV right now!

I am hoping and crossing my fingers that they won't do the sibling-reveal route twice. Besides breaking shipper hearts everywhere, Nolan and Emanda as brother and sister wouldn't add much to the show, as they are already on the same side. Plus, I think it would make Nolan so much more honorable if he were truly doing everything out of fierce loyalty as opposed to blood-related obligation.

I agree with this so much (and not just because it would ruin my ship!). The reason I originally fell in love with Nolan was his loyalty to David, and part of what makes the Nolan + Emanda relationship so interesting is the way that loyalty interacts with her goals. I think that would be less interesting if the loyalty comes from being family.

I think Nolan is the person Emanda comes closest to revealing her true self to. I also think Nolan knows he's being used, but tolerates it because he enjoys being included and needed.

I agree with this. I think Nolan is aware enough for there always to be that question of how honest she's being -- just like that question is there for the audience. That's part of what makes their dynamic so interesting -- he understands her better than anyone, but part of understanding her is knowing you can never be sure if she's being honest.

Also, I'm surprised that some people were saddened by the "don't touch me" scene (though I believe the line was actually "don't do that."). That didn't strike me as particularly harsh -- based on his expressions, I thought Nolan knew he was pushing things by trying to put his arm around her, and he seemed amused when she told him not to. Or is there a different scene I'm forgetting about?

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Maybe everyone assumes Nolan's gay?

I would think the Graysons probably do since Emanada showed Daniel Nolan's sex tape.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Maybe everyone assumes Nolan's gay? Or just too strange for a girl like Emanda to interest her sexually?

I'd say there's a degree of truth in that. Or they just don't take enough of an interest in Nolan to really care. Which is actually good for him.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

In addition to their relationship and chemistry, I really love the secret (that only the two of them know about) connections that they have because of David...Nolan is the only person who stayed loyal and never doubted Papa Clarke's innocence. Nolan is also the source of practically Emanda's entire wealth (although, so far, he has never thrown that in her face).

No matter what happens, they will always be tied together by those two things.

Edited by atyleung, Jan 28, 2012 @ 5:48 PM.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

It was mentioned in Emily's thread that Nolan and Emily's fates are linked because her wealth is from his company. It's in her best interest that he be successful, or she could lose her fortune which she needs to carry out her schemes. So even if they are at odds, Emily has to tread carefully with Nolan because if his business fails it could mess up her plans. So, there's a limit on how much she can allow her plans to put him at risk.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

I doubt that Emily's entire wealth is still linked to Nolan's company. She has probably diversified and re-invested all that money a hundred times over.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Regardless, I would hope deep down inside, Emanda can develop some sense of loyalty to the person who put this fortune into her hands in the first place. Much like the loyalty Nolan has displayed all these years towards David and has graciously extended over to Emanda.

Edited by atyleung, Jan 31, 2012 @ 9:02 PM.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

The dismissive way Emanda treats Nolan makes me suspect that she regards Nolan's generosity as what is only expected of him by virtue of the fact that her father made his fortune possible in the first place. It's not charity. Emanda is so hardened and de-sensitized by her life experiences that she would never accept charity from anyone nor would she feel any loyalty towards Nolan under these circumstances.

On the other hand, the way he has helped her to enact her REVENGE might spur some feelings of friendship and loyalty from her.