3-12: "The Ties That Bind" 2012.01.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

134 replies to this topic

gazebogrl

gazebogrl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

One complaint: Stefan's got no right to be angry at Damon or Elena. Elena is free to see whomever she wants. I am at a loss as to why Elena feels the need to 'confess' to Stefan. They are not together and haven't been for months. A couple of days ago Stefan kidnapped her and force fed her his blood and threatened to turn her against her wishes. To make matters worse, he did it in the worst possible place. I'm frustrated with Elena that she still feels, after all that's happened, she owes him an explanation. I like evil Stefan and I don't need him to go back to boring emo Stefan anytime soon. Even if I didn't care about Delena (I do, I ship 'em) I wouldn't want her to show this much consideration to Stefan at this point.

I thought it was odd too that Elena felt the need to confess to Stefan that she kissed his brother. I wonder if why she did this was that she suddenly felt close to Stefan again when she was picking the wooden bullets from his chest (eeeewwww, Gross!) and she wanted to confess maybe just to see if Stefan can still feel. I have to say, PW played Stefan's reaction so shuttered and hidden for that maybe 30 seconds, I really didn't know which way how Stefan would go. I kind of thought he would merely smile and shrug it off because he doesn't care any more. Instead, he gets real quiet and walks away. I think my heart turned over in sympathetic pain when Stefan just stands there and takes this all in. He really fucked up his relationship with Elena. I was glad that he apologized to her for threatening to end her at the bridge where her parents were killed in the car accident.

When Alaric was kissing Meredith and Meredith pulled the magic ring off his finger.....did Meredith ever put the ring back on his hand? I couldn't tell in the scene where Alaric was talking to Elena. Could Meredith really be psycho after all? She practically had no fear of Damon when she vervained him and got the blood from him at the hospital. She was cool as a cucumber doing this to a vampire! I think Meredith killed her ex-boyfriend after all.

Nice to see Persia White again. She looks like she can be Bonnie's mom. I look forward to seeing more of her.

I wonder who pulled the dagger from Elijah's chest? It can't be Damon because Damon would've gotten killed doing this. Maybe Bonnie????

Yay Elijah! Glad to see him back again! Though I doubt he can kick Klaus' ass. I think Elijah is going to fall under the spell of his brother again and turn against the Salvatores.

This show is ridiculously entertaining!

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Stefan's got no right to be angry at Damon or Elena. Elena is free to see whomever she wants. I am at a loss as to why Elena feels the need to 'confess' to Stefan.

Maybe she thought that not to tell him would make her just as bad as Katherine or something.

Edited by zomb, Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Meredith is a crazy lady. I can't help but wonder if she's thought about the potential for inadvertently creating more vampires by using vampire blood to heal the people she doesn't want to die while she's busy playing God. I mean, has she thought about that? Because I want to know. And prior to Damon, who was her vampire blood source? Alaric better watch out with her.

That is a good point. I wonder if that is what she and her ex were arguing about last week.

MsOrange21

MsOrange21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I wonder who pulled the dagger from Elijah's chest? It can't be Damon because Damon would've gotten killed doing this. Maybe Bonnie????

I thought they would only get killed if they used it on another vampire (as in staking them). Pulling it out is the opposite, maybe that's okay.

And frankly Stefan made Damon a vampire if they can stay family after that shit then all of these things seem like minor infractions to me.

WORD. But... I will give Stefan this... he saved Damon's life when he got bit the by werewolf, so I'd call that mostly even. But he did curse Damon to a life of vampirism when he didn't want it, so really, will they ever be even?

Luluzinha

Luluzinha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

And frankly Stefan made Damon a vampire if they can stay family after that shit then all of these things seem like minor infractions to me.

True. Well, I for one am glad we got a reaction out of Stefan, he hasn't seem like himself for so long that it's good to see a glimpse of his character back. At least he is still capable of jealousy. As for not having a right to be angry... well right doesn't really matter in these situations. I found it interesting that Elena said, "I'm telling you not because I feel guilty that it happened, but because I feel guilty that you don't know." Which makes me hopeful for future developments of the storyline. Stefan's "you're better than both of us" is spot on, but then we wouldn't have a show. And I'm sure he saw it coming the second he left MF, he was already jealous of them way before.

Other news: how long will it take them to open the stupid coffin? this Klaus storyline is dragging so much.

Tyler bored me today. Don't really care to keep watching him turn.

Bonnie and her mom were almost interesting, but not really...

Won't anyone point out that it's a little weird that now that the Germ is gone, Alaric is living with just Elena?

Elijah! Yes, finally!

SiobhanJW

SiobhanJW

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I love Elijah! He's fantastic! I screamed a little when I saw him! Overall I felt the episode was a little Meh. Not enough Damon, but the ending made up for it! :)

mrsproducer

mrsproducer

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Elijah's back! Yay! I got excited when he popped up behind that dead hybrid. I love him. Great character and I hope we get to have him around for a bit. As for who pulled the dagger out, I think it could definitely be Damon. Don't the originals stay dead and shriveled up for a while before reviving? Rebekah did. So Damon could have pulled it out, done his thing, and took off.

I found the episode just slightly boring overall. Normally I'm gloriously entertained with this season but tonight I found myself playing with apps on my phone LOL. I didn't find the thing with Bonnie's mom too interesting nor did I find the Tyler storyline tonight interesting. So we're going to keep watching him turn? Oh joy. I guess I found this episode a bit slower moving than the others.

Goldmoon

Goldmoon

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

Suspectno1:

Was taken out of Elena and Stefan scene as I kept thinking ''Erm Bonnie her mum'' as far as they knew Bonnie was in danger but they just had to have a heart to heart about the kiss, I dont know it just bugged me

With all the WTF-ery that is Elena this season, I have never yelled at her on the screen before. Until tonight. Elena, you are dead to me. The sun is up when you see your “best friend” kidnapped, and you know vampires are involved. All you care about is Stefan although you know he won’t die and have no such guarantee for human Bonnie. It’s dark when you finish messing around with the wood chips and you never think to make a deal with Stef? He’s into deals now, so you could have offered to remove the wood for his help in rescuing Bonnie, but not a word. Then he rides out of there like there is nothing more to do, even though Bonnie may have been missing for hours. You made sure he would leave in a huff instead of helping when you told him about kissing his brother. Couldn’t you have saved that tidbit for a better time? I haven’t liked Elena all season, and I wonder if the writers really want me to hate her this much.

Speaking of Elena/Bonnie, did anyone else think that Elena was going to stay with Bonnie and her mom and “guide” Bonnie through it? Why did Bonnie need Elena’s help anyway? She could have asked the sheriff herself, and Damon proved he could get info the fastest anyway. I regret that we did not get a Damon/Bonnie road trip. THAT I would have liked to see.

My Way

"Psychopaths are high maintenance" is the best line of the episode.

Agreed. Especially with his patented psycho look. You just know Ric was thinking it.

KatTV

How much did I love Damon tonight? What did he do? Open the coffin. Yank out the dagger. Toss in a few blood bags and slam it shut? I can just picture it. Damon generally remembers the details, and he had to know there would be no random humans hanging around the basement of the witch house for Elijah to pump up on.

I am pretty sure that Damon put a sticky note on one of the blood bags that said, “Love, Damon. X O X O X O.” He would want credit.

Mrs. May

I also do not for one hot minute buy that she'd leave MF and her own daughter to save or protect the life of the adopted daughter of her best friend. I'm not saying she'd be so callous as to let the adopted daughter die, but there better be more to that story.

But Mrs. May, the “adopted daughter” referenced is Elena. ELENA. No one else matters, especially not her own daughter, if that daughter is Bonnie. Everyone is invested in Elena, even Bonnie’s mom.

Luluzinha

Won't anyone point out that it's a little weird that now that the Germ is gone, Alaric is living with just Elena?

I noticed the vibe and it was just wrong, although I love Alaric. Not as much chemistry as that one odd conversation with Bonnie when the chemistry was off the charts, but the vibe was couple-y.

And let’s get Meredith off our screens ASAP, please. Thanks.

Luluzinha

Luluzinha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

I haven’t liked Elena all season, and I wonder if the writers really want me to hate her this much.

I don't believe that this is intentional from the writing. During that whole scene I wasn't even thinking Bonnie was still in danger, I assumed she wasn't because she told them about the location of the coffins. I think we are suppose to assume there was some off screen communication (Elena texted Bonnie she was on her way... to where, exactly?) just crappy writing and an opportune scene at that moment, not something to show that she was a bad friend. In fact, I think they've been trying to show Elena as a good friend lately (throwing a party for Caroline, lying to Stefan to give Bonnie some time with her mom, and other things that were done for the sake of her friends not herself or any salvatore)

I noticed the vibe and it was just wrong, although I love Alaric. Not as much chemistry as that one odd conversation with Bonnie when the chemistry was off the charts, but the vibe was couple-y.

I expected Meredith to wonder if Elena was Alaric's gf, the only reason she didn't is 'cause it's a tiny town, so she probably knows all about this story...

Edited by Luluzinha, Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:26 AM.

blinky29

blinky29

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

If they can stay family after Damon killed Lexi and Stefan killed Andie I'm not sure why in the world they couldn't stay family after Damon kissing Elena.

Maybe they'll not speak for 20 years but when you live forever that doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.

They didn't stay family after Stefan made Damon a vampire. They didn't even speak as family for 100+ years. Its only very recent that we are made to understand that these have gotten back together as brothers. Primarily after Stefan apologized to Damon for what he did.

The point is exactly that after this [I think] they should stop speaking for maybe 20 years. Maybe more given how strongly Stefan told his older brother that history would not be repeating itself in this case. When Katharine died it tore the brothers apart for years with the jealousy and which brother she desired more. [To me], normal human reaction would dictate that Stefan would react strongly to what he's found out.

[I can’t] equate Lexi and Andie and their deaths. But even with that, [I believe] that Stefan has every right to be angry at his brother. I'm not saying that Damon doesn't have a right to be angry with Stefan over Andie. But he isn't possibly because Andie's death didn't mean much to him. And also, making Damon a vampire didn't make him the type of brother that goes after his younger brothers girl. He was already that person before he turned and to be fair, he happily thought he kissed his brother's girl long before Andie died or Ripper Stefan appeared.

Elena may have moved on, and Stefan has no right to be mad at her because he ended their romantic relationship, however he didn't end his relationship with his brother and therefore still has every right to be mad at him.

ETA: The actress playing Meredith is terrible but I am glad she saved Jack Coleman. I fully thought he was a goner when Tyler attacked him. Breaking every bone in your body sounds painful but if it means independant thought - go to it Tyler!

I personally think the writing has been terrible this season - and generally on a decline since Season 1. I too feel the writers want me to hate Elena. I was wondering why Stefan or Elena weren't showing any hustle after Jamie was down. Maybe its the editing and important scenes that tie things together have been cut.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 21, 2012 @ 12:46 AM.
Opinion as fact

Suspectno1

Suspectno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

With all the WTF-ery that is Elena this season, I have never yelled at her on the screen before. Until tonight. Elena, you are dead to me. The sun is up when you see your “best friend” kidnapped, and you know vampires are involved. All you care about is Stefan although you know he won’t die and have no such guarantee for human Bonnie. It’s dark when you finish messing around with the wood chips and you never think to make a deal with Stef? He’s into deals now, so you could have offered to remove the wood for his help in rescuing Bonnie, but not a word. Then he rides out of there like there is nothing more to do, even though Bonnie may have been missing for hours. You made sure he would leave in a huff instead of helping when you told him about kissing his brother. Couldn’t you have saved that tidbit for a better time? I haven’t liked Elena all season, and I wonder if the writers really want me to hate her this much.

This, thank you I couldnt even pay attention to scene, and not once was Bonnie mentioned and what annoyed me even more is that as soon as Bonnie was awake the first person she thought of was Elena urgh.

How did Klaus know where Abby lived and how did he know that Bonnie and Elena would be going to see her that day?

Also wow that was quick with Alaric/Meredith.

I don't believe that this is intentional from the writing. During that whole scene I wasn't even thinking Bonnie was still in danger, I assumed she wasn't because she told them about the location of the coffins. I think we are suppose to assume there was some off screen communication

But the thing is as soon as Elena got loose I dont think at that moment she knew what was happening with Bonnie. As far as they knew Bonnie could have still been in danger.

Edited by Suspectno1, Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:40 AM.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I also thought it was ridiculous that the witches were so incredibly stupid so as to believe Klaus's threats so quickly. Isn't the way to prevent the deaths to KILL KLAUS. Or at least have him incapacitated so he can't order anyone to do anything?? Why didn't they trap him in their house cave?

I find it hard to believe that a 100 dead witches can bring back Jeremy , disable Damon ,and torture him can't use all their powers to kill Klaus, or at least put him to in a deep sleep and let Damon and Stefan throw him out to sea. But I love Joseph Morgan, and find him charming and entertaining.

I really was glad we got to meet Bonnie mom, now if they can only introduce her dad. Everyone was talking about Jamie being Bonnie's new love interest, however I knew that wasn't going to go over well. Bonnie's love interest always have a issue.

I am so over the Stefan/Elena/Damon triangle.

I felt the whole Elena and Stefan thing was boring. I also see no reason for Elena to have told Stefan about her kissing Damon besides to get a reaction out of him. If it was truly over between them, than why tell him anything.

I love Damon being one step ahead of Klaus for a change. It was smart of him to hide the seal coffin, and undagger Elijah.

I do not trust Meredith Fell. I do not know why, but I just don't trust her. Didn't it seem like she was trying to take Alaric's ring? I going to have to watch it again, because she might have stolen it when they were kissing . She seem to leave awful fast.

Elijah! I was so happy to see Elijah!

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

They didn't stay family after Stefan made Damon a vampire. They didn't even speak as family for 100+ years. Its only very recent that we are made to understand that these have gotten back together as brothers. Primarily after Stefan apologized to Damon for what he did.

Based on what we saw that's not the truth. Damon did not leave Stefan immediately after he turned he left because Stefan was putting them in danger of being caught because Stefan was being conspicuous. And Damon was back in Mystic Falls and working with Stefan and saving his life way before Stefan got around to apologizing for that.

[I can’t] equate Lexi and Andie and their deaths. But even with that, [I believe] that Stefan has every right to be angry at his brother. I'm not saying that Damon doesn't have a right to be angry with Stefan over Andie. But he isn't possibly because Andie's death didn't mean much to him. And also, making Damon a vampire didn't make him the type of brother that goes after his younger brothers girl. He was already that person before he turned and to be fair, he happily thought he kissed his brother's girl long before Andie died or Ripper Stefan appeared.

I equate Andie and Lexi because they died, for me death is way more permanent than kissing. Normal human reaction dictates that even if you kill my friend I'm probably going to cut you out of my life forever, so even if Damon wasn't as close to Andie he did care about her enough to try and get Stefan to stop. So I'm not arguing that these people can't be angry I'm arguing that after you get over a person murdering your friends, or making you into something you didn't want to become, or hell even staking one another then a kiss just doesn't remotely seem as relevant on the grand scheme of things. So I don't agree with your premise that somehow this will break them up as family because maybe in a normal human world it would but for these vampires who have done way worse I don't think it will or even should break them up.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 21, 2012 @ 12:51 AM.
Quoted post was edited

Xenite

Xenite

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

Quite frankly I've been fast forwarding through Elena/Stefan scenes for the last two weeks. I tolerated tonight because I'm a Persia White fan and because it feels like I'm in "tolerate" mode when it comes to this show. But seeing Elijah has returned me to "eager anticipation for Thursday night" mode. Thank the lower deities for returning my Elijah.

Luluzinha

Luluzinha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I felt the whole Elena and Stefan thing was boring. I also see no reason for Elena to have told Stefan about her kissing Damon besides to get a reaction out of him. If it was truly over between them, than why tell him anything.

Well, to ease her own conscience. Because he would find out on his own (Damon can't keep his mouth shut). And to get a reaction - watch her face when Stefan is all quiet you can see her thinking "he doesn't give a crap" "oh... maybe he does...maybe he is not as far gone as I thought" and then "wait, what? gonna leave without saying anything?"

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

I think it would be pretty scandalous, especially in a small town but I think they can always use the Isobel connection. In an alternate universe Alaric could have been Elena's step dad and raising her with Isobel. I don't get why the show sent Jeremy or the actor away and for how long.

Edited by redbudrose, Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:53 AM.

ande

ande

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

So, why did Elena say to Stefan "I kissed Damon?" In actuality, Damon kissed her, so she should have said either "Damon kissed me" or "Damon and I kissed." Think she phrased it that way to see how Stefan would react? Possibly she feels guilty that she didn't pull away and therefore thinks she should 'take responsibility' for not stopping the kiss?

I'm agreeing with y'all about Meredith being untrustworthy. Girl is up to something.

Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

It didn't help that the director chose close-ups for that scene either. In my head, I was screaming "Boundaries!"

Luluzinha

Luluzinha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

Possibly she feels guilty that she didn't pull away and therefore thinks she should 'take responsibility' for not stopping the kiss?

That, and I think she knew what he was about to do at that moment, so she doesn't put the responsibility only on Damon. Plus, I really think she wanted a reaction, not just to confess.

ETA: Elena might as well go out with Alaric, he's a third of the age of her current love interests and is not a psycho-killer. If this were real life, I'd be rooting for that instead. In a little while she'll graduate and he won't be her teacher anymore.

Edited by Luluzinha, Jan 20, 2012 @ 1:13 AM.

Infie

Infie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

When Meredith started to take off his ring, Alaric clenched his fist to prevent her taking it. That's when she said "Don't tell me you think I'm a supernatural being?" and then Elena came in.

I'm pretty sure she didn't get his ring.

Dark Lazuli

Dark Lazuli

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

Was weirded out when Abby told Bonnie the herbs neutered her magic. I was like, uhhh...you mean neutralized? Lol

Liked this episode because of Damon checking out his rival. Is he going to have his own silent pouty scene when he finds out Alaric and Meredith kissed?

"She vervained me! Then she bloodjacked me!!!" Thought that was the best line. Killer.

newms

newms

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

And.... Stefan is back to being a grade A douche bag. He just simply can't stand to see his brother happy, can he? He doesn't want Elena anymore but she can not be with Damon. I'm thinking the reason why Stefan wants his brother alive is not out of love but out of some sick pleasure in beating him down. His little pity party of one when talking to Elena was nauseating. He is okay with her hating him because he wanted to kill her last episode but she is not to go anywhere near his brother. Seriously, what is his deal?

Or everything DeadlyEuphoric said below me.

On the other hand, yay Damon for awakening Elijah!! Smart thinking. I also loved his being protective over Alaric regarding Meredith. Their bromance was shining bright tonight.

Meh on the Bonnie stuff but it was interesting to hear that Abbey and perhaps the Gilberts knew about Elena being a doppelganger. I would love to hear more about this back story.

I thought for sure Bill was going to simply kill Tyler but he is actually willing to help him. Nice surprise. Poor Tyler. He is been cursed and forced through all of this and now has to go through daily transformations.

Edited by newms, Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:36 AM.

DeadlyEuphoric

DeadlyEuphoric

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

I don't have a problem with Stefan punching Damon as he is upset and Salvatores do have a tendency to get physical when they are upset. I WILL have a problem with it if he continues to act as if he was entitled to Elena despite everything and Damon betrayed him and make Damon feel all guilty about it and make him think he should have stayed away from Elena as no, Stefan does not have a claim on Elena and can not expect or demand two people who have feelings for one another to repress them for his sake, especially not when he is so obviously "over" his ex and keeps saying he doesn't care about her and all his actions point to that too (just last epsiode he was saying Elena was all Damon's problem now!).

For me, it comes down to the fact that Elena is NOT his. He doesn't own her. No woman, be it Elena or Katherine or someone else, is Stefan's actually. It doesn't matter if he saw them first, dated them first etc. etc. they are never EVER his. They are their own person. Elena and Damon did everything within their power -and putting themselves at risk- to save him, and he kept telling them he didn't want to come back, he kept refusing Elena and telling her it was over. And then she finally moved on and it is only then Damon even dared to kiss her. And she kissed back. It was something both wanted to do and did. Which is why I think she gave Stefan the news as "I kissed Damon". It doesn't make a difference for her that he made the move, for she was into the kiss, didn't stop it, kissed back, very much enjoyed it and feels no guilt about it. She may as well have done the first move. I think another reason she said "'I' kissed Damon" may be because she thought if she took the "blame" for it, it may be better for the brothers' relationship -if she thought Stefan may freak out about it. Of course for Stefan it didn't make a difference she said "she" kissed Damon, he stills blames Damon for it.

I think, Stefan can't blame them for it, as his relationship with Elena was over (and long over if one is to take his claims HE says it was over the moment he left town, so for him it was over even then!). Stefan can't act as if Damon kissed "his" girlfriend, "his" Elena. Elena is not a toy in Stefan's possession that remains "his" even if he is at the moment done playing with her (and regains value the moment someone else wants to play with it!). Yes couples come with the idea they "belong to one another" but that ends the moment the relationship ends. She stopped being "his" the moment their relationship ended. Right now she is her person and she will love and kiss whoever she wants. just like Damon is his own person who will love and kiss whoever he wants.

Damon may be Stefan's brother, but he also does NOT belong to Stefan. He doesn't exist to fullfill Stefan's wishes and make him happy. There IS a difference between loving someone and devoting your whole life to them. Just because Damon loves Stefan doesn't mean he has to lead his life giving priority to Stefan's feelings and wishes only. If Stefan thinks just because they are brothers, or because he saved Damon's life, Damon now owes it to him to do things his way and give up, let's say, Elena -who is the love of his life-, then he is in the wrong. Stefan wasn't giving up Elena OR Katherine for Damon's sake even when he knew Damon was in love with them and hurting when he saw them with Stefan, so he can't turn around and expect Damon to do the same for him.

As far as I'm concerned, if two people love one another they are allowed to kiss and be together. I can see how it may be something hard to watch/accept for a 3rd person who also happens to be in love with one of them, but just because it will hurt no:3 they can't be expected to give one another up. I think the brothers will learn to not let a "girl" come between them, in time, but that lesson learned will not be that "hey, we'll both give her up" but rather they should respect her wishes (so a life lesson to be learned too!) and should be able to take the high road and be happy for the other one if she chooses one over the other. I think love should be about wishing your "loved ones" happiness and not "if I'm going to be unhappy, you should be too". It is also why I can give Stefan a punch -even if I hate it-, as his initial reaction to finding out news that upset him, but if he goes into another one of his "you have all wronged, oh poor miserable me" routines I have no stomach for it.

As I don't have stomach for Stefan going all "you shouldn't have lied to me Elena". Shut up Stefan. She has no reason to trust you with anything or include you in anything. You are the crazy guy who just an episode ago was threatening to kill her. Heck, you are the guy who made a point of not including her in your plans and then using her as a weapon in it against her will. Just shut up...

I do like that Damon didn't betray Stefan's trust in him regarding the "coffins" by telling Elena about it. He gave his brother a promise on this, and despite what he may feel about Elena and what hiding this a secret may do to their relationships, he kept to it. It is in line with Damon's portrayal where "trust" is a big issue with him and if he has given his word about something, he keeps to it.

I hated it, but wasn't surprised that Stefan's first line of thought is to tell Elena "you are better than him" regarding Damon. Badmouthing Damon at every opportunity has always been his thing and kind of his first reflex. The "you are better than both of us" came as an after-thought. Maybe he remembered "oh, right, the bridge incident, I guess I'm not that worthy either now *poop*".

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric, Jan 20, 2012 @ 3:33 AM.

ande

ande

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

I'd really like to hear what others think about Miranda and Grayson not telling Elena anything about vampires, etc. They died when she was nearly 17. By that time, she looked like Katherine and if a vampire or supernatural being happened upon her, bad things would surely follow. They should have at least had both their kids on vervain and vervain on them a la Elena's necklace or Jeremy's bracelet. I have a hard time with them not telling her anything about being adopted or her supernatural-ness. I can understand wanting to protect your kids, but in order to really protect her, they should have given her the knowledge to help with that protection. At the very least, they should have told Jenna everything so that if anything happened to them, some one would know. I suppose you could say that John knew, but as he didn't show up until a long time after their death and clearly didn't see the need to enlighten Elena about her Doppleganger-ness, I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure this is the writers changing things to suit the story, but I hope we hear more about this in the future. Clearly with the hidden room at the lake house and now finding out that G & M knew about Elena and the doppleganger not to mention the Sun and the Moon curse, these people knew a lot that they chose either not to share (perhaps to protect Elena from the council?) or had not shared yet and as they weren't expecting to both die at the same time...

All in all, this leaves me wanting to know more about these people and wishing that they weren't dead.

good spellar

good spellar

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

And .. he's back. Well, that was a really quick little foray into almost-kinda-bad Stefan. And now we're back to holier than thou martyr Stefan. Great [eyeroll]

This episode was pretty much entirely boring to me. I'm not interested in Bonnie or her mother, in Dr Fell or her possible evilness or any ridiculous plan involving the bogarting of coffins.

The only good thing to come out of this episode is the return of Elijah. God Damon, thank you! You know he only did it cause he missed his eye sex buddy. Can't wait for the Salvatores original BFFs to square off against each other. And as usual, I'm on Team Damon.

Also, what was all that nonsense about Elena being different, stronger? Last episode Stefan did a truly horrible thing to her and this episode she chased him around making sure he was okay and comforting him because she dared to hurt his baby feelings. I seem to recall a similar moment in S1 when Damon forced his blood on her and the next episode she bloody hugged him! As far as I can see, Elena is just as willing to roll over as she ever has been.

Edited by good spellar, Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:52 AM.

DeadlyEuphoric

DeadlyEuphoric

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 3:17 AM

I'd really like to hear what others think about Miranda and Grayson not telling Elena anything about vampires, etc.

I thik they figured she was just safer not knowing about it as the least people knew, the better and both Jeremy and Elena wre too young to be told these things -they may not be as succesful in keeping it all to themselves. I think that's what all Founding Families did, they all kept things secret from their kids. Besides, once Mikael was taken care of, they probably thought the "danger" was over. I have no idea how Mikael tracked her down and how if he did Klaus just couldn't. Or how it took one Bennet witch the seal Mikael like this, but they needed the power of 100+ witches and the ritual completed and Klaus transforming (and so at his most vulnerable) for Elijah to be even capable of killing him. I also don't see how Mikael showed up in town just 15 years ago and created mayhem and no one could kill him (yet they could live to tell the tale after trying???) and no one in town remembers all that or ever talks about it and it is not in any of the Founder's journals. How can a town that faced Mikael be so inept in handling even baby-vamps? And how come the Founder Families have no idea Bennetts are real witches if Bonnie's mother is like the town hero? I feel this is all like the Aztec curse thing and we'll find out it is not the real story.

Don't like the whole "magic fades away when you leave your children but with my daugther around my super Mikael binding über-magic should be restored" story. Sounds like once again TVD is conveniently creating some super-magic-source out of nowhere to take on the a villain.

I'm also disappointed the way to breaking the sire bond id as easy as "turning till there is no pain". Not that it is easy for Tyler, but it is not a complicated solution. But still don't get how Bill knows about it? Was it written in some journal by a werewolf who managed to break the bond?

I also don't get Bonnie's mom's reason for leaving. "I didn't want to be a Abby Bennett, the witch" makes no sense as she said herself she was without powers by then and so technically she is no longer a witch. Guess it was more of a "I was away from that hell whole town called Mystic Falls and I had a chance for a new life so I left you"? MF sure has some crappy parents.

I found the first Klaus/hybrid phone call kind of cute, he sure is lonely and gets bored a lot so even lame hybrids are better than no company. Also adored his cackle when talking to Stefan.

Damon/Klaus scene was all kinds of win. I love how snarky Damon is with him and doesn't seem to be that impressed with his threats no matter what -and Klaus is a bit repetitive with them. I love the little sound Ian made when the witches stopped giving Klaus the headache, sounded kind of disappointed in them and also as if he was thinking "oh, it is this easy to subdue them? just threaten the Bennetts?".

Don't like Meredith. I think she did kill the ex and she has some other thing going on and only fooled Alaric by healing Bill and claiming that is what the vampire blood is for. I think if people kept getting mysteriously healed in the hospital someone -especially themselves!- would notice and start talking about it. I think Jason knew whatever she was really up to and she killed him as a result. Also disappointed in Alaric. He is acting like a fool in love for a woman he barely knows. Just because she is a drunk too shouldn't make her so appealing Ric! Besides, your friend just pretty much told you she is a psycho! When will this people learn to listen to Damon, his instincts are just never wrong. Even how she was quickly trying to remove Alaric's ring was suspicious. If you wanted to inspect it closer, ask for him for a closer look.

Also, what was all that nonsense about Elena being different, stronger? Last episode Stefan did a truly horrible thing to her and this episode she chased him around making sure he was okay and comforting him because she dared to hurt his baby feelings.

Watching it again I find it hilarious that Stefan waited by the car looking on, as opposed to driving away... I really think he was waiting for her to come running so he can be all soulful and hurt puppy and get some "pity" points in his favor.

I think he meant stronger, in that Elena was the one doing the rescuing, cleverly having taken down the guy and she was being all calm, getting the bits of wood out of Stefan, and also keeping her "I intenely dislike you" attitude -as opposed to being all "OMG Stefan you are hurt!". It did kind of got all ruined the moment she ran after him and was apologizing and explaining her decision to leave him out of things -like as if he had a right to! I guess just shows she is strong when saved from Stefan but prolonged exposure to him makes her go back to her old weaker self.

I didn't take offense at Elena not being that worried about Bonnie as I got the feeling, from her talk with Jaimee she figured out what the deal was. Bonnie was with her mother, and their role in this was to be blackmailed by Klaus into telling the coffins and the person who was in danger of being hurt was Jaimee. And like Bonnie she knows Klaus would keep to his end of the bargain. I guess there was a "text exchange" that we didn't see, given Bonnie's mother told her to warn her friends and Elena and Bonnie obviously talked over the phone at some point (so Elena had her cellphones with her for sure).

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric, Jan 20, 2012 @ 3:28 AM.

confuzzled21

confuzzled21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

I guess it was okay. Liked seeing Bill Forbes and OMG Elijah! Loved Klaus' expression when he saw Elijah standing there with a bleeding heart in his hand LOL.

Stefan can't act as if Damon kissed "his" girlfriend, "his" Elena.

I didn't read the scene that way. I didn't get the vibe that Stefan was mad because he felt Elena was all his. His line "You're better than both of us" pretty much told me that he wanted so much more for Elena. He knew she never wanted to become a vampire and that she wanted children. I think that also helped him make that decision to leave her behind. He had told Caroline that he should have stayed away from her. He knew it was the right thing to do yet couldn't. When he made that deal with Klaus, it also made leaving Elena easier. To do all that only to find out his brother might/did make a move on her? I can see where the anger was coming from.

I also saw Elena's confession as a way to "set her apart" from Katherine in that she didn't want it to be some naughty secret as well as probably trying to see if there will be a reaction from Stefan. Did she have to tell him? Probably not. He doesn't own her. But that's his brother. She's seen how crazy their relationship has been. Was she supposed to just keep it a secret and wait for Damon to gloat about it like he did to Bonnie?

Dr. Fell is meh. I appreciate how Bill Forbes would risk his own life in order to protect Caroline from Tyler. I also like that Tyler would go through all that just to break that siring bond with Klaus.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

Was taken out of Elena and Stefan scene as I kept thinking ''Erm Bonnie her mum'' as far as they knew Bonnie was in danger but they just had to have a heart to heart about the kiss, I dont know it just bugged me.

This bothered me too. I understand that incapacitating Jamie, getting herself free from being tied up, and getting the wood out of Stefan were priorities, but confessing that she and Damon kissed could have waited. The last she saw of Bonnie, she was being kidnapped by Abby. There's no way that Elena could have received/read a text before she got free because she was still tied up at the time. But by all means, take the time to chat with your ex while your friend has been abducted to who knows where?

I agree that some of her motivation behind telling Damon was to ease her conscience and to see his reaction, and because she knew it was only a matter of time before Stefan found out anyway. Damon already oh so casually mentioned it to Bonnie. If he was willing to tell Bonnie about it so easily, I think Elena knew that he'd eventually tell Stefan (or someone else would mention it to Stefan after Damon told them or Stefan would overhear two people talking about it). By confessing it herself, she had some control of the situation and at the very least she wouldn't be blindsided by Stefan charging into her house one day all angry about the kiss.

I found her word choice interesting. As someone else already pointed out, she said, "I kissed Damon," not "Damon kissed me." Maybe I'm too much of a nitpicker, but in my opinion Damon kissed Elena. True, she didn't stop him (and she also said she didn't feel guilty about it) but the grammar nazi in me is gnashing my teeth about how kiss is an action verb and Elena is the object of that verb. I agree that she was trying to take some of the blame off Damon and that she probably feels she is taking responsibility for participating in what happened in the hopes of Damon and Stefan's relationship being slightly less damaged than if she said that Damon initiated it.

Dr. Fell clearly pegged Damon as a vamp. How'd she find out? Would it be because she is one council member who can actually put 2 and 2 together and come up with "Damon and Stefan are vampires?" Were's she been for the past year, because if she's on the council, why didn't Damon know about her.

We'll probably get some lame story in the future about how she was away at med school and just came back to town some time after Logan's death to take his place on the council. That doesn't explain everything (or anything, really), but I predict she'll say something along those lines soon (which, was the explanation for Wren's sudden reappearance on Pretty Little Liars when he got hired at the hospital in town).

I know Damon said that there are always parties or other event ("Why can't council meetings ever just be council meetings?"), but I assumed that as some point during the cover event, the council members all actually gathered in one room together to discuss things, vote on taking specific actions, etc. Does everyone else on the council know that Damon is a vampire now? If not, how did Meredith know?

I thought they would only get killed if they used it on another vampire (as in staking them). Pulling it out is the opposite, maybe that's okay.

And that's only if you believe what John and Elijah told Damon and Stefan the NSDR about the ash dagger (at this point, I take all information from/about the Originals with a big fat grain of salt). We know that Klaus undaggered Rebekah (although I guess the show could try to explain that away) so I'm pretty sure that vampires can undagger an Original. It's just daggering an Original that will (supposedly) kill them.

How much did I love Damon tonight? What did he do? Open the coffin. Yank out the dagger. Toss in a few blood bags and slam it shut? I can just picture it. Damon generally remembers the details, and he had to know there would be no random humans hanging around the basement of the witch house for Elijah to pump up on.

Ha, that's exactly how I imagined it!

I am pretty sure that Damon put a sticky note on one of the blood bags that said, “Love, Damon. X O X O X O.” He would want credit.

Damon either went the sarcastic route and left that note and drew red hearts or he went the straightforward route and left a note that said, "You're welcome. You can find a way to make it up to me later. Damon (NOT STEFAN)"

I don't have stomach for Stefan going all "you shouldn't have lied to me Elena". Shut up Stefan. She has no reason to trust you with anything or include you in anything. You are the crazy guy who just an episode ago was threatening to kill her. Heck, you are the guy who made a point of not including her in your plans and then using her as a weapon in it against her will. Just shut up...

I agree. He is keeping things from her (like the coffins, his plan to make her sound scared enough to convince Klaus he would really kill her) yet he somehow expects her to be upfront and honest with him about all her plans? That hypocritical attitude is not going to win her over, Stefan.

I love that Damon went to check up on Meredith. I know it could be interpreted as nosy, but doing stuff like that is how Damon shows that he cares. The fact that he happened to be right was a bonus, but I really hate that Alaric took that as a sign to be totally honest with Meredith. Dude, you've known her for all of a few hours and you're telling her about your ring? Not smart, as evidenced by Ms. Grabby Hands. Even if that wasn't a super special ring, I'd be offended if anyone tried to take a ring off my finger. Boundaries, Meredith. I really wonder if I'd like her better if they had another actress portraying her. I can't stand her smirky looks and her attempts at being sexy/flirty. Ugh. It's like she went to the acting school of Trying Too Hard.

Even though I've been hoping for the return of Elijah all season, it was ridiculously exciting when it finally happened!

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jan 20, 2012 @ 7:35 AM.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

The last 30 seconds turned a very "meh" episode into a great one. Elijah, finally! Props to Damon for using his brain; granted, waking Elijah should have been the first thing they did once they got the coffins but still.

Other than that, there were many things wrong with the episode: the whole Elena/Stefan scene was painful to watch, especially when Stefan had the guts to be hurt by the kiss. Seriously? Also, way to go with badmouthing his "rival". Classy. Wasn't Damon supposed to be the asshole of the two?
The worst thing about that scene, however, was that Elena completely forgot about Bonnie being in danger, once again she was all about Stefan. Go to hell.

Mikael knowing about the doppelganger made no sense. Also, if Abby was able to trap him, why not do the same to Klaus? Seal him in a box and drop it at the bottom of the ocean, problem solved.

The dead witches are able to hurt Klaus so why didn't they do it before? Why didn't they kill him? Again, it makes no sense. And they stop when he threatens Bonnie, which means the Bennett line must be very important and adds another thing that makes no sense, which would be the witches' hatred towards Damon. Or maybe we're supposed to forget that he's the one who saved Emily's children like we're supposed to forget that no one knew about Katherine having a child.

I found her word choice interesting. As someone else already pointed out, she said, "I kissed Damon," not "Damon kissed me." Maybe I'm too much of a nitpicker, but in my opinion Damon kissed Elena.

I think the most appropriate choice of words would have been "Damon and I kissed": he initiated it, true, but she knew it was coming, didn't pull back, kissed him back and (by her own admission) enjoyed it.
I also think that she put it that way to get a reaction out of Stefan (which could be a good or a very, very bad thing, depending on what she'll do in the next episodes) because to Bonnie she said "Damon kissed me" - and ironically, when I heard that I was thinking how she wasn't being truthful because she was a very willing participant.

Edited by zizou, Jan 20, 2012 @ 7:39 AM.

Pucklady

Pucklady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

So, why did Elena say to Stefan "I kissed Damon?"

I thought that was weird at first, too, but then I assumed she was confessing to the other kiss that she initiated, back in the season finale of Season 2. She never did tell Stefan about that one (did she?), and now that there was a mutual kiss, it was time to take responsibility for all the liplocking, especially since she knows there is going to be more.

What I don't understand is why Stefan got mad about it. He's been telling her to get on with her life "I don't can what you do, Elena", and then he punches Damon for stepping up? What a hypocrite. Yeah, yeah, we know his "Go away, Elena" is all an act, but can you really blame someone for actually doing what you've been telling them to do?