1-13: "Commitment" 2012.01.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

228 replies to this topic

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Revenge Episode 1.13 — “Commitment”, airing Jan 18 on ABC.

Daniel’s romantic proposal may come with dire ramifications; Charlotte is forced to move back in with her mother; Jack’s life is in jeopardy when a person he adores betrays him; Nolan makes Emily think cautiously about her actions.

Since there wasn't a thread yet

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Way to go Daniel Grayson. Good job sending Emily back down the revenge path, you dummy.

Edited by argrow, Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:07 PM.

Ferocita72

Ferocita72

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I'll start I guess. Great episode! A few questions: Did Emanda leave the tapes at Jack's for a reason? To Frame Amily? It seemed really risky to me. Are they the real tapes? Or just strategic tapes she wants Victoria to have?

Also, wow.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Well, we knew that if Emanda stopped her revenge the show would be over, so of course she was going to be headed down that path. Victoria knew Daniel assumed she was raped by his reaction to the news so this is on her head, if you ask me.

sarcasticisity

sarcasticisity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I was wondering how next episode was going to estrange Nolan and Amanda, and after the friendly ending ("Don't do that." hee!) I was even more confused. But I actually said, out loud, alone in my living room "oh SHIT SON!" when Daniel said that to her. I kind of hope Emily is gone for good but something makes me think she will be back.

Man, why is this show so good?!

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Was Victoria purposefully leading Daniel to believe it was rape, or did he jump to that conclusion himself? And she just went along with it? It didn't necessarily seem like she was stating it.

Magsi2

Magsi2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I think we were to understand from her conversation with the lawyer that she planned to have someone there to scare Amily into leaving, but as she said...Jack was off limits, but QV used one of Frank's henchmen instead of the lawyer choosing his own. I think jack her Emanda say she was sorry and will start to put the pieces together once he find the tape under the bed.

At this point Daniel could be the shooter and the victim could be David thanks to QV's insinuation tonight. Not sure how he'd actually know who he is, but....it is now a possibility.

I think Nolan/Emanda made their comments at the engagement party because he knew she was going to "pause" and not go through with it and has now changed her mind again and he's reminding her that it's not a good idea. Not sure why she said he shouldn't be there though.

Edited by Magsi2, Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:13 PM.

Agnes Bean

Agnes Bean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I loved that last scene. It was perfectly set up -- all the pieces from the episode came together, and you could see the moment Emily went from reconsidering revenge to recommitting fully. Awesome. Totally awesome.

Also, I thought the actress who played Charlotte did a good job in her scene with Emanda. I want Emanda to befriend her (and maybe teach her the ways of REVENGE).

I loved Nolan and Emily's scene on their beach. Their friendship continues to be my very favorite thing about this show.

evalusion

evalusion

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Was Victoria purposefully leading Daniel to believe it was rape, or did he jump to that conclusion himself? And she just went along with it? It didn't necessarily seem like she was stating it.

I think he jumped to that conclusion, but Victoria realized that's what he was thinking and didn't correct him. His initial reaction seemed disgusted and horrified, but then he tried to reconcile the knowledge with his general mama's boy outlook, and misread her anguish. I wonder how long the show can sustain his delusion though-- Conrad knows that she had a consensual affair with David, and I don't know how long they can go without having a conversation about it-- either Daniel thinking he's helping reduce tensions by telling his father Victoria was raped, or Conrad throwing the affair and VIctoria's dishonesty in Daniel's face when they come to face off over Daniel's shares in the company.

In other news, both Conrad and Victoria are pretty awful. I can't believe Conrad tossed Charlotte out like that.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Just when Emanda was hitting 'pause'...LOL! That was such a great twist at the end! LOVED seeing the change in EVC's face as Daniel related his mother's story! I also loved the Emanda/Nolan moments, but there wouldn't be a show if Nolan got his way. Were there previews for next week? My station didn't show any.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I was almost going to feel sympathy for Conrad, but yes, he's pretty awful. It makes it look like Charlotte was a pretty accessory to him or something, but now he thinks she's tainted so he wants to get rid of her.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I loved Nolan and Emily's scene on their beach. Their friendship continues to be my very favorite thing about this show.

From this point on. I do not think friendship and Emily can be used in the same sentance. Emily knows how to keep her enemies real close.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

My station didn't show any

I rewound twice, looking for them and didn't find any.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

I'm now wondering if it's Conrad on the beach. The show would be over if he pursued either option A or B. Or he could take the fall for the shooting, which would put punitive divorce moves on hold.

Magsi2

Magsi2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I believe the next week and the next are repeats, haven't confirmed it yet, but it would make sense as I didn't see any previews either.

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Now I think Amily is the shooter, but that's speculation. Which we have a thread devoted to now! (WHOOT WHOOT!)

But, anyways, this was a terrific episode. Great way to explain all the saltiness Nolan throws Emanda's way during the engagement party.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

you could see the moment Emily went from reconsidering revenge to recommitting fully. Awesome. Totally awesome.

It was like watching her shut herself off emotionally.

You could also see Emanda break for just a second as Charlotte told Emanda that her father was looking at her the same way He looked at her mother.

Okay, so somebody has to say it do all of the Clark girls have a weakness for Porters?

Are they the real tapes? Or just strategic tapes she wants Victoria to have?

They are tapes Emanda wants her to have, at least I think so. She planted the Senator's downfall on Lydia so Frank could find it, she set up the therapist with her own tapes so Victoria would be the engineer of her downfall, She planted Frank's wallet on Tyler, and she sent Amily to France with a new identity having successfully framed her for the arson, in a way that now may implicate Victoria (how did she get those tapes out of a house that burnt to the ground?).

Of course there is the one tape the thug left behind, under the bed.

I totally called the Divorce attorney for being in on it the minute I saw the flashback where Emanda was talking to him with just the dyed black hair, fresh out of juvie... There was also the, "Victoria, you have to tell me everything ...." Nice that Emanda set up up Lydia's ex-husband with a motivated shark of a Divorce attorney who then looks to be the Divorce attorney both Conrad and Victoria will both want.

I have to say I respect her ability to make a plan and defer gratification.

Edited by name234, Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

evalusion

evalusion

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

I believe the next week and the next are repeats, haven't confirmed it yet, but it would make sense as I didn't see any previews either.

I think the next episode is the engagement party with the shooting, so they're probably saving it for February sweeps. But the lack of previews this week made me very very sad.

Magsi2

Magsi2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

So Conrad is going to pay for Declan to go to school with Charlotte. Shouldn't there be some kind of conversation with Jack about that? That seemed a little out of left field, but I guess it sets up the engagement party with he and Charlotte being together. I wonder if Jack will be against it since he is going to blame Amily's leaving on the Graysons.

Amery19

Amery19

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I think he jumped to that conclusion, but Victoria realized that's what he was thinking and didn't correct him. His initial reaction seemed disgusted and horrified, but then he tried to reconcile the knowledge with his general mama's boy outlook, and misread her anguish. I wonder how long the show can sustain his delusion though-- Conrad knows that she had a consensual affair with David, and I don't know how long they can go without having a conversation about it-- either Daniel thinking he's helping reduce tensions by telling his father Victoria was raped, or Conrad throwing the affair and VIctoria's dishonesty in Daniel's face when they come to face off over Daniel's shares in the company

I agree that Victoria decided on the spur of the moment to turn Daniel's wrong assumption into a major strategic move.

If she argues that Charlotte was the result of a rape, then she removes the hold Conrad has over her of threatening her with exposing her affair with David Clarke. Given how she and Conrad were able to convince the world that David Clarke was a terrorist and a mad man with no morals, the public would buy into her allegations of rape without a second thought. Even if Conrad knows the affair was consensual, it's a he said--she said situation. Moreover, if Conrad tries to argue that David Clarke would have never raped a woman, he's punching holes in his own tissue of lies about Clarke. Therefore, Conrad loses that battle and Victoria wins.

In addition, the rape allegation helps Victoria seem more sympathetic to Charlotte who can now understand Victoria's statement to her therapist that she took to believe that Victoria wishes she'd never been born. Assuming Charlotte can be reasonable and compassionate, she very likely may be able to see how her mother would be conflicted by her pregnancy. So while she will undoubtedly be distraught to find out that she's the product of rape, she may have sympathy for her mother at the same time that she's angry at Conrad's rejection. So Victoria can possibly win the war for Charlotte's affections -- at least long enough to last through the divorce proceedings.

So using the rape allegation is a genius move. Absolutely amoral, but also genius in the category of the ends justify the means.

Edited by Amery19, Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:41 PM.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

I think the next episode is the engagement party with the shooting, so they're probably saving it for February sweeps

This was episode 13 and the shooting is in ep. 15.

No previews generally means no new ep. next week.

LazyBum1115

LazyBum1115

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

I'm now wondering if it's Conrad on the beach.

In the Pilot we see Conrad standing behind Victoria while she gives her “I approve” speech, so I don’t think it can be him on the beach.

Topic? I thought the end was fantastic – I love how you could see Emanda get completely re-motivated to do her revenge.

Also, it was pretty cold of Conrad just to kick Charlotte out like that. I kept think that if he’s going to treat he differently (which it seems he will) then he might as well tell her why – I can’t imagine that would hurt more than just thinking your dad just suddenly decided he hated you for no apparent reason (YMMV, of course).

Are we done with Amily now? Her departure felt a little abrupt (unless, of course, she is coming back later in the season).

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

What a FANTASTIC episode. I mean wow - everything worked. We got answers to questions that came up within the episode. And the ending...I mean EVC's facial reaction to what Daniel was saying was so...so...perfect. Wow.

Oh yeah - We have our own forum!!! Whoo...

Crede

Crede

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

If I had a nickel for every time a primetime tv show trotted out the same ol tried and true "rich Hamptonite queen has a passionate affair with a man who would later be framed in a massive terrorist conspiracy only to later claim the love child was borne out of rape and not love" cliche,.... well.. I'd have a nickel.

Magsi2

Magsi2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Did he say QV was Victoria Harper? Is that a reference to anything we should recognize? Also LOVED Daniels comment that they needed to talk about Emanda always disappearing and not being there when he wakes up.

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

I have to give Emily VanCamp a lot of credit. She's playing this perfectly. Her facial expressions in that last scene? Perfect.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I'm really interested to see how Charlotte plays into this long-term. I've come to really like her, even if the Declan stuff has generally been a distraction, and now she's got a passport into the actual main story. The scene where she shows up distraught at Emily's was really good, with Emily seeming genuinely taken aback at how upset she was and how she didn't understand what was going on.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Charlotte's gonna be a big player down the road...you can feel it.

When Conrad told QV that she was gonna be that "pennyless bitch" before he married her...I actually clapped at the television.

I'm a grown ass man and I clapped at the tv. For that alone this is the best thing on tv right now.

Btw, was that real emotion when Daniel proposed to her? She seemed to get lost in that hug...

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I'm a grown ass man and I clapped at the tv. For that alone this is the best thing on tv right now.

Btw, was that real emotion when Daniel proposed to her? She seemed to get lost in that hug...

I am right there with you. EVC was acting her ass off tonight. From the first two minutes, the acceptance of the proposal, BSing Amily, watching over the busted up Jack. To the bitch your ass is mine look at the end.

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

I didn't see her lost in the hug, to me she seemed like she hadn't lost sight of her goal and marrying Daniel is all just part of her plan. She did after all learn about Conrad's stipulation on Daniel's trustfund from Ashley and then fed him the coy line that she wouldn't move in with him in NYC till they were married. I don't think she would even be surprised at how quickly the proposal happened because she's the one instigating it.

Did I hear her right that she was pushing for a June wedding? I thought episode 1 was on Memorial Day, so has it been less than a month? I'm confused.