Daniel Grayson: Former Party Boy

• Please log in to reply

67 replies to this topic

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

I think there's more going on with this too. Keep in mind that we never actually SAW Conrad's confession or Daniel's reaction to it, we just have Emanda's word that he told him everything. Plus, it's too strange for him to do a complete 180; we saw how horrified and disgusted he was about Victoria having him beat up and Thuggo being the scapegoat.

But I won't lie: I was disappointed...although it wouldn't have made sense for him to blurt out the truth on the news without any concrete proof of the conspiracy except Conrad's confession.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

We know what Conrad told him. Emanda heard everything and really, why would she be lying about what she heard? Her expression during the TV interview said everything. I agree with upghread, Daniel has always been a weak character, tossed from one parent to another like ping pong ball. I am not surprised that he's taken the path of least resistance in this. I can even understand it : David Clark is dead and his daughter is an arsonist, who may or may not have killed Tyler to frame him, Daniel. There's nobody left to save in this story and shame and disgrace on his family are the only gains of the 'truth'. Heck, there's no gaurantee that his beloved fiancee will be willing to stand by him if the truth comes out. It's one thing to believe he didn't kill his snakelike exfriend. It's another thing for her to commit to a life of ostracization by marrying into the Graysons after the truth comes out. Then there's Jack, waiting in the wings....

I don't think Daniel is eveil and will suddenly start arranging for people to blackmailed and killed, but he's weak and it's a slippery slope... Conrad didn't start out evil, did he? But he let his conscience die in stages and so will Daniel....

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

I wonder what Emily expected - for him to announce on television that David Clarke (the hated terrorist accomplice) was innocent and his father was guilty? What PROOF did he have? He (likely) knows Conrad and Victoria enough to know how they handle people who cross them now.

Not to mention, what would this do to Charlotte in her fragile state?

I wonder (I doubt it, but I wonder) if he has his own plans - to oust his father?

It would be interesting to see him working on HIS agenda while Emily works on hers.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:02 AM

The onus on Daniel isn't to prove anything. He's not the police or the district attorney. The onus on him was to tell the truth of Conrad's confession, and judging from Emanda's expectations, that confession was detailed enough to have been very damning for the Graysons. Conrad and Grayson Global are already being investigated.

Emanda wanted Daniel to man-up. He keeps talking about wanting to be his own man. He raised a stink when she didn't ditch her engagement party to go scrounge with him in Paris. But now that he has a genuine reason to cut ties with his family... he chooses the comfy life and lets an innocent man's name continue to be besmirched and his daughter's life remain in ruins. He's willing to let his sister continue to believe that she is carrying the blood of a domestic terrorist in her veins. If he cared at all about her fragile state, he'd exonerate her father so the poor girl will stop seeing herself as a monster's child. What an a-hole. Right now, Daniel is about the most disgusting person on the show to me and I'm sure Emanda is cursing herself for not letting him rot in jail.

Yes, maybe Emanda will leave him instead of tarnishing her name with his own. Or maybe she'll fall in love with him for finally growing a spine. But that shouldn't stop him from doing the right thing.

Yes, he may not be evil now but he's weak and sometimes that's worse because it means that unlike some evil people who really believe that their actions are justified, he knows what he's doing is wrong but he'll still go ahead and do it anyway.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Add me to the group that doesn't buy this complete 180. I know the writers wanted Daniel to go to the dark side, but there must of been several other more believable ways of going about it than this. Daniel has always been quick to shun a parent whenever he finds out about any previous misdeed, so the idea of him fully embracing Conrad after learning of the family's history of laundering, unintentional terrorism and MURDER just doesn't gel with his past self. At this point I'm just hoping to be surprised by the writers with an angle beyond the obvious Darth Daniel or secret Revenger Daniel.

mystique101

mystique101

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Exactly, I don't buy it either and if this is their idea of paving the way for Jack and Emily there are many ways they can do that. They've practically been hitting it over our heads like a sledgehammer about their great childhood connection since the beginning (insert rme gif here btw).

Daniel may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. However I don't see him being A OKAY with everything his father told him and I mean, EVERYTHING without having some sort of reaction other then let's go dad. That's the one characterization they've gotten right about him from the start, he has some decency in him. He would have a problem with this, he would be appalled. Even if he didn't rush to the police station right away to turn his parents in. If he just turns into Conrad Jr then it'll be disappointing and frankly lazy writing and that will make me like this show less.

This is now Daniel slowing going to the dark side, this is him going over a cliff and it makes NO sense unless there's a method to his madness.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

I think the writing on Daniel has been quite consistent. He has always been weak. That is why he has chosen to keep silent and protect his family. The only person who will gain from the truth now is the "real" Amanda Clark. As far as Daniel knows, she is an arsonist and she might even be a killer. Maybe finding out her father was innocent will help Charlotte. But how will she recover from knowing her mother and the man she has known all her life as her father, funded domestic terrorism and allowed an innocent man to die for their sins? Daniel's mother has already poisoned his mind about Emanda. He feels that she is marrying him partly for love but also for the Grayson name. Will she still stand by his side if that name becomes worthless? She says she will see him through anything, but can she see him through this?

Daniel himself has just come out of prison. Does he really want to send his father there? After all, what did Conrad confess to, anyway? Not cold-blooded domestic terrorism. He confessed to a ponzey scheme that accidentally funded terrorism. He confessed that he would have gone to jail if he hadn't used David Clarke, a man that was sleeping with Conrad's wife, as a scapegoat. He confessed that he killed David Clarke in prison to keep his family safe. That he also killed a man a few days ago to save, him Daniel. This is his father talking, not some random stranger. It would take some serious cojones for anyone to snitch on his dad. Daniel is a spoilt sweet brat that has never done a hard day's work in his whole life. That has always had his ruthless father and his creepy mother on hand to save him from the responsibilities of his actions.

I just donít buy that this is some love triangle decision. The show is too smart for that. Daniel has never really been a side on the love triangle. Nolan has far more of a chance at Emandaís heart than Daniel ever did.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

He has always been weak. That is why he has chosen to keep silent and protect his family.

That really hasn't been shown in the writing. Gullible? yes. Weak? I don't see it. Since episode three they've had him standing up to his parents again and again. He's never really been silent or cowering or even that loyal when it comes to ConVic, whether it be Vic's false rape claim and her obvious hatred for Emily or Conrad siding with Tyler and cutting him from his inheritance.

Edited by quangtran, May 4, 2012 @ 4:57 PM.

mystique101

mystique101

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Yep more naive and trusting then anything, whether he's wrong or not he's always said what's on his mind. He's shown vulnerability and foolishness, any maybe some weakness by his drinking. But overall being this weak, cowering guy, nope don't see it, never have. Everyone has their vulnerabilities and Daniel is no different. And not being able to go to to toe with people like Conrad, Victoria and Emily, well I consider that a compliment. C'mon love them or hate them, they're not exactly 'good' people.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Yep more naive and trusting then anything, whether he's wrong or not he's always said what's on his mind. He's shown vulnerability and foolishness, any maybe some weakness by his drinking. But overall being this weak, cowering guy, nope don't see it, never have. Everyone has their vulnerabilities and Daniel is no different. And not being able to go to to toe with people like Conrad, Victoria and Emily, well I consider that a compliment. C'mon love them or hate them, they're not exactly 'good' people.

This is how I've seen him as well. Daniel is not stupid; even having a shit ton of money won't get you into Harvard if you aren't at least a little smart. But he has been naive and and perhaps chosen not to see who his parents really were because he didn't want to know it. I got the impression that the coverup regarding the drunk driving accident was the first time he was really confronted with what his parents were capable of and in that case he was uncomfortable with it, but also scared and let it happen since he could tell himself his ex agree to it. But he began cleaning up his act at that point to avoid ever being in that position again.

I've know lost of people who were sheltered in their up bringing and when they were first put in a position where they had to face reality some chose to hide again, some chose to step up, and more still hid first and then stepped up. It's not easy to make that adjustment. And it seemed like Daniel was on the latter path.

So taking initiative would be growth for Daniel, but not completely inconsistent with his characterization. Whereas being totally Team Evil would be completely out of the blue in my opinion.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Not weak = scared, weak = spineless. Sure, Daniel won't cower from his parents who've indulged him all his life. But he'll cower from the law when he's facing drunk driving charges. He's not weak because he's afraid his parents will kill him if he exposes them. Daniel is the one person that won't be touched if he decides to blow the whistle on his family. I'm not even sure Charlotte has that kind of immunity. Daniel is weak because he won't want to face the consequences of what the scandal and disgrace will do to his family and himself as a Grayson.

Book smarts is not the same as "street" smarts or common sense smarts.

Daniel has good "intentions" but that's all they've ever been, "intentions". When in a bad spot, he takes the path of least resistance.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I think it's too soon to tell what Daniel intends to do which is why I'm reserving judgment. Yes book smart is distinct from commonsense, but any smart shows the ability to gain smarts in another area. My point is that the guy isn't dumb and he could be, if he has the will to do so, learning from what's going on around him.

I'm sure at least part of his motivation is that he doesn't want to lose the money and prestige he's grown up in, but that isn't necessary his only or even primary motivation. But if you've never been without resources, it isn't inherently greedy to freeze at the prospect of giving it all up. It is possible that Daniel has decided to go along to get along where Grayson Global and his father are concerned, it just seems like a bigger leap that he can get on board with murder and destruction of lives than that he's trying to find a different solution to ending it.

This show has duped us before regarding motives and actions, for instance Nolan's interactions with Tyler. The principle distinction there seemed to be that we knew more about Nolan (and liked him better as a collective) making us more willing to question the face value interpretation.

Edited by RachelKM, May 4, 2012 @ 7:03 PM.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Whatever happens, it will be very interesting to see how all this plays out. I can't wait to see exactly what long-term plan Emanda has in mind that requires her marrying into the Graysons. And now that Daniel has a target on his forehead, it will be even more fascinating to watch Revenge.

I wonder... now that Daniel knows the truth, will he try to reach out to Amanda Clarke i.e. Amily?

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

I wonder... now that Daniel knows the truth, will he try to reach out to Amanda Clarke i.e. Amily?

The first time Daniel encountered Amily, he treated her like dirt. The girl hadn't ever done anything to him but he acted like if she inherited the terrorism genes from her father.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Delurking with my verdict on Daniel: I like him, for now. He is still a pawn, whether it's his parents or Emanda's doing. If Daniel was psychic and knew all along who Emanda was, what she's done, why she's doing it and what she's capable of, I would find him way less sympathetic. What happened to David Clarke was not Daniel's fault. He may have been a jerk to Emanda when he met her in college re David but as far as he knew, IIRC, he had no reason to believe otherwise.

Given Emanda's true identity and true intentions, her claim that Daniel could have come clean during the TV interview was hypocritical, IMO. Emanda has had numerous opportunities to be honest with both Daniel and her half-sister Charlotte much sooner than that, but she's taken none of them. Daniel's far from perfect, but Emanda and his folks have done much more and much worse that he doesn't even know about. Re Daniel's willingness to take over grayson Industries, my unspoiled spec on that is that while it could be genuine, knowing this show, it could just as easily be a long con.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Now that I am re-watching the show, I have to admit that Daniel Grayson surviving the season was the worst thing to ever happen. I can safely say that I have never been so disappointed by a fake-out ever. And what made matters worse was that the more relevant they tried to make him, the worse he became. Now that I've rewatched the earlier episodes, I don't understand why I was supposed to find it shocking that he turned out to be such a creep. He starts out as the ass-hole who wants Emily to feel sorry for him because he is trapped in a tower of wealth and privilege, who makes wrapping his girlfriend's spine around a tree into one more sob story about himself. What a creep. There is nothing about his journey to evil that is unexpected in the least. But what is worse is that he is now the biggest tool in the story with none of the charisma or smarts of his parents and it's horrifying to imagine the ways the show will try to make him relevant in season 2. If they resurrect Daniel/Emily, I might just roll over and die.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

I know a lot of people don't like him but I like him. He's shown some growth this season, bursting into the mental health place with court papers to free his sister, attempting to manipulate his mother, etc.

And he always tries to do the right thing. He doesn't always have all of the facts, but his character has some integrity, and you need a few of those on a show like this!

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

If they resurrect Daniel/Emily, I might just roll over and die.

Oh, no, don't hold back. Please tell us how you really feel!
I think Daniel is rather... ridiculous, though. But now that I'm positive the show isn't expecting me to see him as nothing but a rather gullible and pretty young man, I'm beginning to find him more amusing and likeable. I burst into laughter when Conrad told Ashley that Daniel was licking his boots that morning and was clearly up to something. I was (shockingly but) happily surprised to see that Ashley did the honourable thing and stopped spying on Daniel for Conrad. But I was even more surprised when I realized that Daniel knew this, too.

hamlet2508

hamlet2508

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

Daniel has actually shown considerable emotional growth.

Athough he has remained pretty malleable and rather clumsy he compares favourably to Emily who appears to have lost any ounce of compassion.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I wonder how long it'll before Spaniel gets himself and GG into trouble over an idiotic attempt to take control of NolCorp thinking that they have a controlling interest (when they don't) becuse of David Clarke's initial seed-fund founding it.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

All those in favor of changing this thread title to "Daniel Grayson: Prince Oedipus"?

God bless Nolan Ross.

Edited by Spartan Girl, Jan 9, 2013 @ 9:09 AM.

mystique101

mystique101

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:18 AM

Still like him, one of the now few reasons Im still interested in this show. I know they will never let Daniel 'win without someone aka Nolan, Emily, his parents having some ulterior motive but that's okay. I was one of those who thought the change was abrupt but as long as he doesn't get down to the level of his parents and even Emily etc then I welcome this.

Id prefer an in the dark Daniel with some backbone and grey area ambition then someone constantly on the periphery. He's had some great scenes lately. Also liked that he's still in love with Emily, that's always been genuine.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 3:18 AM

Daniel's gotten decently interesting this season. I hate him a little for making Nolan suffer, but then forgive him since he's not boring me to death like last season. Also Daniel has mad chemistry with Nolan (now if only they'd hook up). His one failing is his obsession with Emily. Unless her identity is going to be revealed to him in a timely manner, another go at that relationship is a waste of time.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 3:44 AM

I keep forgetting that Josh Bowman is British until I hear him in an interview.

And I am so dumb, I just found out today. I was like, whoa.

deme70

deme70

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

Unless her identity is going to be revealed to him in a timely manner, another go at that relationship is a waste of time.

Especially considering the distance it ran last season, a called-off engagement due to slight infidelity. Where do you take them on a repeat? Obsessed, is he most certainly. He would be a tad interesting to me if he knew she was playing him.

Edited by deme70, Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:29 PM.

SomeMeddlingKid

SomeMeddlingKid

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 5:34 AM

So now he's complicit in not only covering up David Clarke's framing and murder, but his daughter's framing and murder as well? Daniel could literally not be any lower in my eyes at this point. With all he's said and done, he should be irredeemable in the eyes of Emily by now.

"Your father had David Clarke murdered!"
"Well he must have had a damn good reason for it."

Emily ever genuinely dating Daniel would be akin to vomiting on her father's grave.

Also, Daniel has now violently shoved both Emily and Ashley- I'm surprised more people aren't calling him on this behavior. Are we sure Judge Barnes isn't Daniel's illegitimate father?

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

Well, he does get a little bit of credit for actually showing remorse and disgust for his parents continuing to use other people take the fall for their own crimes. Now if only he'd do something about it...

Branmancan

Branmancan

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

I had no idea that Josh Bowman is British! The things you learn on this forum! He does an amazing American accent, if that's the case.

I also didn't realize how much people hated Daniel. I'm a fan. I think that his character is probably one of the few that I like. Given how crazy his family is, I think he turned out pretty well.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:44 PM

I've enjoyed Daniel this season. He's not totally bad, but he's not a saint either.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 8:10 PM

He shows remorse and disgust one week, but still is quite under their control.  And he's so wishy washy. Seriously, he just gives up control of Grayson to move to Paris.  He's trying to be decent but he's just can be manipulated at every turn.  One of my favorite scenes ever is Aiden calling him a little boy. So true.