Literary Allusions in Revenge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Literary Allusions in Revenge

How close is the show to the source material, The Count of Monte Cristo? Discuss.

Meeta

Meeta

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

At least the way it started off, lots of similarities!

You could say that David is Edmond Dantes pre-prison and Emanda is Edmond post-prison... but in some ways, there are parallels between David and Edmond's father. In the book, even though Edmond is the one who is framed and imprisoned, when he gets out, one of the driving factors of his revenge plan is his love for his father; the fact that his father suffered and died rests squarely on the people who conspired against him. As someone said in another thread, David Clarke is "the good guy" and Emanda is the "avenging angel." The combination of a love triangle and business interests as the motivation for the original conspiracy is also true to the book.

The Graysons are definitely the Morcerfs (Conrad = Fernand, Victoria = interpretation of Mercedes where she has betrayed Edmond, Daniel = Albert). The Porters are the Morrells, which makes the Declan and Charlotte romance a parallel to Max and Valentine. (More on this later, maybe, since people keep wondering what purpose "Darlotte" serves in the show.) You could interpret Jack as Morrell, but I like to think with the "love story" between Emanda and Jack, there's also a potential read where Jack is an interpretation of Mercedes as blameless.

Danglars is partially represented by the banker ("Uncle Bill") from one of the early episodes. Villefort is partially represented by the prosecutor (who became a senator). But Conrad Grayson does pick up additional elements of each of the conspirators.

I'm only about 60 chapters into the book (so about halfway, I think), but I am LOVING IT. Finding the connections between the show and the book (both characters and events) is so much fun!

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

You could also say that Victoria is like Mercedes, since she was the lover of Edmond Dantes (David Clarke), and in a way, she did betray him by marrying the man who framed him...even if Mercedes didn't know it at the time. And Victoria does show immense guilt for her actions, in her own self-serving way.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Emanda also seems to represent Haydée who was sold into slavery by Fernand

The show has also given Emanda a similar backstory to Lisbeth Salander .And then alluded to it through Nolan.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I think that besides Mercedes, Victoria also incorporates aspects of Villefort's second wife. She's an evil bitch and is excessively devoted to her son.

I'm so disappointed that they turned Charlotte into Valentine's counterpart.   Valentine is not a very interesting character. The only way they could salvage it would be to bring on a Nortier analog. 

Another reason I'm dissapointed by the direction they took with Charlotte is that they could've just as easily given her Eugénie Danglars' personality, who just so happens to be the most awesome character in the book and always gets shafted in the adaptations.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Jan 19, 2012 @ 3:34 PM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I think that besides Mercedes, Victoria also incorporates aspects of Villefort's second wife. She's an evil bitch and is excessively devoted to her son.

Ooh, forgot about her! Good one!

Since everyone has been complaining about how Sammy the dog is way too old, there may be a literary allusion to Argos the dog from The Odyssey. In the story, Argos was so faithful to Odysseus that the gods kept him alive so that he'd be able to see him again. And when Odysseus comes back to Ithaka disguised as a begger, Argos is the only one to recognize him. That's the first thing I thought of in the pilot when Sammy ran to Emanda.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

I think the whale-cam may be a reference to Moby Dick, which is another book with a character bent on revenge.

Meeta

Meeta

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Danglars is partially represented by the banker ("Uncle Bill") from one of the early episodes. Villefort is partially represented by the prosecutor (who became a senator). But Conrad Grayson does pick up additional elements of each of the conspirators.

OK, so I still think Conrad's character is inspired by partly Fernand, partly Danglars, and partly Villefort -- basically all of the conspirators rolled up into one. And now that I've read the second half of the book, where the wives and families figure into things more, I think Victoria's character is inspired by all of the wives -- and some of the husbands!

I like that Revenge doesn't necessarily go with 1:1 parallels on the characters, but borrows a lot of the themes, and incorporates similar events. I think the decision to use the Hamptons as the modern day equivalent of high-society Paris was totally brilliant!

ETA:

I'm so disappointed that they turned Charlotte into Valentine's counterpart... The only way they could salvage it would be to bring on a Nortier analog.

Ooh! I love this idea.

Edited by Meeta, Jan 23, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

In "Duress", The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway is mentioned. I haven't read the book, but from what I can gather, there aren't many parallels to the show. (Very briefly, it's about the rivalry between two bullfighters.) However, I think the writers were using the title itself to refer to the plot of the show; it's indeed a dangerous summer in the Hamptons!

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:01 AM

The show was already doing its own story, but after the murder on the beach, I think it's really going to diverge from the book; and it'll be harder to draw parallels.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

The show was already doing its own story, but after the murder on the beach, I think it's really going to diverge from the book; and it'll be harder to draw parallels.

There is a murder and a trial in the book ( and in the 1st film with Robert Donat ) . Later adaptions have skipped it , but the show to some extent is still shadowing the book .

Beautiful Leah

Beautiful Leah

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Did anyone else find Daniel's Face Heel Turn very reminding of de Villefort? Neither of them is a particularly bad person (but not a particularly good one either- I for one never had sympathy for Daniel after he confessed to washing his hands of his ex girlfriend after she was injuried in an accident caused by his drunk driving) until they are faced with the choice between doing the morally right thing or covering up for their father's role in a conspiracy (and therefore also protecting their career and social position) and, well, we all know what they chose. One could even say that, in Daniel's storyline, Emanda has Renèe's role (sweet and innocent- in Daniel's eyes- love interest who tries to inspire him to do the right thing)
I wonder if this means that Daniel will be one of Emanda's main anthagonists in the future...

I definitely agree that Declan and Charlotte= Max and Valentine. In fact, I wonder if , whith Charlotte being involved in a cliffhanger at the end of the season, in S2 they'll follow the fake death storyline (maybe Conrad is worried that The Initiative could target his family and persuades her to fake her death?)

Emanda also seems to represent Haydée who was sold into slavery by Fernand

Good observation! Amily makes me think of her too, with her tragic past and her devotion to Emanda/Edmond (not suggesting that they are "endgame", even if imho they would make a more interesting couple than either does with Jack :P)

Edited by Beautiful Leah, Jun 9, 2012 @ 1:32 PM.

yuggapukka

yuggapukka

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Did anyone else find Daniel's Face Heel Turn very reminding of de Villefort? Neither of them is a particularly bad person (but not a particularly good one either

I do find Daniel, like all characters tends to be an amalgamation of several characters in the book and his reaction to his father's villainy is similar to Albert de Morcerf who reacts to his fathers exposure by being more concerned with protecting family honour than the wrongs his father has committed, consequently earning the enmity of The Count, which leads to a duel, cancelled at the last minute when he apologizes publicly, renouncing his father. I enjoy Daniel, not least because his character, for better or worse often surprises me, I think because he is written as an unknowable blank slate at times. I do wonder whether he will hold firm to his family loyalties or abruptly switch sides again.

I don't think they've exhausted the book as a source of material, which makes me hopeful for the second season. I dread the possibility they will aim for ever expanding concentric rings of conspiracy as opposed to the book which tended towards episodically revealing the deeper rot under surface corruption of the participants in the original conspiracy against Dantes in a way that led to stories that were interrelated but could also stand alone.

Edited by yuggapukka, Aug 2, 2012 @ 8:51 PM.

Beautiful Leah

Beautiful Leah

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I haven't read the book in a while, but wasn't Albert unaware of what Fernand had done to Edmond until the (cancelled) duel?

And I agree that it looks like the show is getting further from the novel inspiration and focusing more on the conspiracy angle...

Edited by Beautiful Leah, Aug 9, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

yuggapukka

yuggapukka

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

but wasn't Albert unaware of what Fernand had done to Edmond until the (cancelled) duel?

Yes, but......

The duel was prompted by the exposure of Fernand's role in betraying Ali Pasha of Yanina, then selling the man's wife and his daughter, Haydee into slavery. Albert, rightly assumed that Edmond was behind the revelations that led to his father's public disgrace (over things he had actually done). It is correct that the duel was cancelled when Albert learned from his mother that his father had directly wronged Edmond, but it is also true that he was relatively unconcerned about the arguably worse things Fernand had done to Haydee and her family, a young woman whom he (Albert) had met and from whom he had an account of the events. I think there is actually a very strong parallel in that instance both between Emily's true background and the wrongs against Haydee as well as the reactions of both Albert and Daniel in putting family honour ahead of being appropriately disgusted. Both also feel they have a responsibility to protect other family members from the consequences of the father's past; Charlotte in Daniel's case, Mercedes in Albert's. There is also a similarity in that both Edmond and Emily lose affection for the young man when he fails to do the right thing.

ETA; I actually found Villefort the worst of the conspirators, both in his contribution to Edmond's imprisonment and his subsequent actions.

Edited by yuggapukka, Aug 9, 2012 @ 6:10 PM.