Nolan Ross: Popped Collar Prince

• Please log in to reply

115 replies to this topic

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

I'd even prefer Nolan with Victoria before Ash.

Gabriel Mann has stated in at least one interview that he thinks that putting Nolan and Victoria in scenes together (not in a romantic sense) could be gold. He said he would love to see their interactions and he seems to really want that. As we've seen before, Victoria is so uncomfortable with Declan in "social" situations, so I can only imagine what would happen if it were her and Nolan. I think her and Nolan together would be hilarious. You know Nolan would go out of his way to make Victoria want to bolt out of the nearest exit just to escape his "Nolan-ness." Gabe seems to really love the people he is working with and loves playing Nolan. It is so obvious from his interviews, his interactions with his cast members at various events, and his twitter, that he is having a blast. He is so awesome on this show.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

I'm actually looking forward to seeing them do something with Nolan/Ashley. Loved their scenes during the last show and I think it might be the start of something - not sure what. On the other hand the whole Ashley/Conrad thing is an even more intriguing possibility.

Nolan and Victoria or Nolan and Charlotte eek. Please show don't go there. I can't see Nolan handling a woman like Victoria. He can't even handle Amanda.

Edited by angelita100, Mar 7, 2012 @ 2:20 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

Gabriel Mann has a point. I'd love to see some more scenes between Nolan and Victoria. It has the potential of an interesting friendship of sorts. Romantically, I don't really see it though.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Video of Gabe's full interview on Ellen:

http://www.dailymoti...mar-02-2012_fun

Edited by atyleung, Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:30 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Brilliant. I did laugh at him describing the show as crack and wanting Nolan to sleep with all of the cast. The man's got an excellent sense of humour.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

"Absolution" hit home that Nolan really has a big heart, even when it gets trampled on by the people he cares about. He could so easily become hardened like Emanda, but he keeps trying and doesn't give up hope that someday those people will love him back. *tear*

Nolan/Gabriel Mann is going to be a bigger fan favorite than ever after this last episode.

Edited by atyleung, May 3, 2012 @ 7:57 PM.

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Nolan becomes more awesome each episode. He was actually trying to help David right up until the man's murder. Loved his protective instincts towards his aunt - and Emily and the Porters.

I want him. :)

Edited by Bkwrm, May 3, 2012 @ 8:17 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

Nolan just keeps getting better and better. Emily, Jack and Carole are lucky to have him in their corner.

Edited by darkestboy, May 5, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Guh. Nolan needs that leather jacket and that hair in every episode. Puh-lease!?

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

Glory you thought Nolan's hair c2002 was bad? What about c2002 Jack's mullet? Now that was bad hair!

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

No. I thought it was great. Looking good, Nolan!

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

With the flashback, now I wonder when and why Nolan started his colorful preppy, blonde look.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

Video of Gabe's full interview on Ellen:

http://www.dailymoti...mar-02-2012_fun

That video definitely made my morning. I love Nolan. He really stepped it up these past few episodes. I just spent a few minutes reading Gabriel Mann's IMBD page, and it's amazing how many roles I've seen him in before and yet I didn't recognize him. He has a nice chameleon quality. Also, I have to say, some of his modeling shots are hawt!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Loved Nolan in the finale and I loved the closeness him and Emily have as well. I mean in the sense that she is starting to accept him as her friend/ally rather than an inconvenience.

Also, kudos to him having the sense to backup that harddrive as well.

DeLux

DeLux

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

I don't really understand these choices, and I was wondering what you guys think of them:

On the one hand, the other characters on the show reject Nolan repeatedly, it's stressed that he has a hard time maintaining connections to friends and family, it took almost the whole season and numerous huge gifts/gestures for other characters to even tolerate his presence (ex: Jack)...basically, within the world of the show, Nolan is very unlikable.

*However,* he's written and played as a very sympathetic character. He is nice and (relatively) genuine with the other characters, smart, and rich. Even though he's styled as the "ugly character" (that hair!), they didn't choose some super unattractive actor, they chose a tall, muscular/slim guy who doesn't have any crazy terrible/weird thing going on in the face -- aka, someone who is relatively conventionally attractive. Basically, for the audience, Nolan is very likable.

Many of the other characters (ex: Charlotte) are portrayed in the opposite way -- very likeable within the world of the show, but not especially slanted to appeal to the audience (we're really supposed to like Charlotte the pill-popping, crying, ignorant, fabulously-wealthy-by-birth teen?). Even Emily is a play on that, where the other characters like her, even if it's not in their best interest (ex: Ashley, Jack, Nolan), and even though we the audience are exposed to pretty dark/disturbing things about her.

Why is Nolan portrayed as someone no one within the show can like, but as both the show's moral compass and someone the audience is clearly supposed to root for, if not the audience's within-show stand in? What is the show is trying to say by characterizing him that way?

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I can see why Jack wasn't inclined to like him, since he bought all the houses in his family's neighborhood, and then in a seemingly vulture-like way, bought his boat. And as for the Graysons, etc., I thought it wasn't that they found him unlikeable for being a jerk/rude/evil/whatever, but just that they didn't want to be around him because he was eccentric and therefore annoying and perhaps unclassy.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

I think at the start, maybe Jack had good cause to be wary of Nolan but it's been nice to see Jack actually warm to Nolan because the guy doesn't seem to have any friends himself and Nolan's a pretty awesome mate to have.

banzaicherokee

banzaicherokee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I thought the Grayson's didn't like Nolan because he was 'new money' and they came from 'old money'. Or at least Conrad did.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

I thought the Grayson's didn't like Nolan because he was 'new money' and they came from 'old money'. Or at least Conrad did.

I never got the feeling that the Graysons didn't like him, just that they think he's odd and don't relate well to him. Nolan's social awkwardness often comes out as obnoxious behavior. People don't know what to do with him and think he's weird, but he has too much money to ignore.

Also, are the Graysons really "old money?" I thought that Conrad's father started the company and while successful, didn't Conrad take it to the top? I recall Conrad saying that he was one who put the "Global" in Grayson Global.

Edited by Limabean, Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:17 AM.

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Maybe they sense the utter contempt Nolan has for them. Which makes me wonder why he built a house in the Hamptons in the first place - before Amanda became Emily.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

In the hopes that Amanda may return. It's also because of the Graysons that Nolan's own aunt was placed in danger too, so his resentment for them is pretty justified in that matter.

Icanseeformiles

Icanseeformiles

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Nolan is my favorite character in the show. When I recently re-watched the first several episodes (I had missed the pilot when I first started watching last season) this was confirmed even more. I think he's the best character on TV, and I'll be surprised if Gabriel Mann isn't nominated for an Emmy, and I won't be at all surprised if he wins the Emmy.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

I'll be shocked if he doesn't.

It's nice to have a strong, well written bisexual character on television because even now it is still kind of a rarity and Nolan's been an absolute highlight every single week.

Icanseeformiles

Icanseeformiles

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Well, darkestboy, it's too bad "Revenge" got snubbed by the Emmy TPTB and Gabriel wasn't nominated, especially since depending on what happens with the show, it could turn out to have been his only chance to win with this character.

Nolan definitely wasn't a character from "your grandmother's soap opera" last season and I found that really refreshing and intriguing.

Edited by Icanseeformiles, Jul 25, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Screw the Emmys, though there's always next year if Gabriel/the show is lucky.

I'm currently doing a rewatch of Season 1 because it's airing on Irish TV. Last episode I watched was Duress.

Icanseeformiles

Icanseeformiles

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 4:29 AM

darkestboy, I don't want to give you spoilers, but I think you should cherish the awesomeness that was season 1. I myself, am done with this show. It was nice chatting with you for the brief time that we got to.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

darkestboy, I don't want to give you spoilers, but I think you should cherish the awesomeness that was season 1. I myself, am done with this show. It was nice chatting with you for the brief time that we got to.

Unfortunately, Icanseeformiles, we can guess by your tone what the spoiler is and I, for one, am starting to panic...Nolan?!!

BTW, one of my least favorite things about this show is that they release too many dang spoilers!! People are already addicted to Revenge, why do the showrunners, Mike Kelley, and the cast (even Gabe) feel like they always have to open their big mouths to keep us interested?! (In fact, it's the opposite...Revenge is the kind of show that has the most impact when you go along for the ride and watch things unfold.)

Edited by atyleung, Jul 31, 2012 @ 10:30 PM.

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Now that I look back, I think Nolan moved to the Hamptons because;

A) "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" - they killed David, and would have killed his aunt, he wants to keep tabs,
B) he likes that he can buy and sell people who look down on him,
C) he wants to and can afford it,
D) he thought that Amanda/Emily might show up.

Edited by Bkwrm, Aug 7, 2012 @ 5:51 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

All of those reasons seem pretty valid to me.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

It's too bad GM didn't get an Emmy nomination. He deserves it but a show like Revenge usually doesn't get nominations.