Emily Thorne: The Girl With the Infinity Tattoo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

49 replies to this topic

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I think it's fitting that the first character thread topic on the new Revenge forum on TWOP should be Emily Thorne, aka Amanda Clark, aka Emanda, aka Batmanda, aka The Girl with the Infinity Tattoo, and any other nickname we can come up for her.

So what do we think of Emanda these days? Love her? Hate her? Personally, I've been on Team Emanda since Day 1. Sure, she's a sociopath and capable of God knows what else, but so far, everyone she's taken down from the corrupt prosecuter to that scumbag author deserved what as coming to them.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

I kinda like her best as a complete psycho willing to go scorched earth on anyone who she feels deserves it and accepts that she isn't the good guy. Her father was the good guy; she's the avenging angel.

I am enjoying her apparent moments of conflict. It's hard to completely stone cold. However, I don't want to see her falter because of it. She can see Daniel as more than a tool to break Victoria. But I want her to still be willing to break him too if necessary to plan.

On the other hand, her reaction to the Charlotte reveal may jar some things loose. That could be interesting.

Oy! I'm all over the place.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Personally, I'm just dying to see her physically kick some non-sparring ass. I know it's not her MO, but TPTB didn't show us her martial arts training for nothing, or at least I hope.

Perfect thread title.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

Considering Emily's penchant for pyromania, could we retitle the thread:

Emily Thorne: The Girl With the Infinity Tattoo Who Played With Fire

And then obviously add the Hornet's Nest when the time comes :)

Justine2003

Justine2003

Fanatic

• Interests:Mad Men, most HBO shows (incl. Entourage, Big Love), Weeds, The Office, 30 Rock, The United States of Tara, American Idol

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Personally, I'm just dying to see her physically kick some non-sparring ass. I know it's not her MO, but TPTB didn't show us her martial arts training for nothing, or at least I hope.

She attacked Nolan in the pilot episode. I had actually forgotten about it, but just watched that ep again the other day. It was after he first realized who she was (after the Graysons' party) and he walked into her house. She threw him down and pretty much warned him that she could break his windpipe.

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

• Interests:Books, historical, fantastical, mysteries, the works. <br /><br />Good tv. <br /><br />Finding my way.

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

I just don't get why Queen V would put a 9 year old in an institution, it seemed like tremendous overkill. In many ways, it seems far too much when she could have gotten Amanda out of the country with a nice family in the English countryside or in Italy, where the girl would grow up happy. It seems amazing that Emanda was created by Victoria, and yet, I don't get why.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I mostly like Emanda, and if not for the Jack stuff, would like her WAY more. I feel for her in the flashbacks a lot, though, and I also have some hopes for her relationship with Charlotte.
But when she's being a magnificent manipulator I can't help but adore the character. A scheming protagonist is such a rarity, so every takedown feels just delicious.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

I will say that while the acting buzz for this show tends to focus on Madeleine Stowe (who is indeed great), I think EVC does a great job with what is really a very tough character to play. She has to balance Emanda's closed-off nature with not making her too unlikeable, and generally does it well. She also has to find ways to make Emanda's real emotions noticeable when most of the time she's around others she's just acting.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Personally, I think she's a female version of Dexter Morgan, minus the killing. There's something about Emily/Amanda that's Dark Passenger like in her interactions with people. It can make for slightly uncomfortable but interesting viewing. Plus EVC's acting has improved for the better with this show.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I don't think Emanda's straight up sociopathic. She may try to be, but she still does have some empathy - she's just learned to ignore it.

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

I just don't get why Queen V would put a 9 year old in an institution, it seemed like tremendous overkill.

Victoria knew Amanda saw her take David's computer; and wanted to make sure she would never be in a position to testify; or be believed if she did. "Oh, she spent YEARS in a mental institution! Poor, deluded girl!"
She simply didn't CARE about her "lover's" child. Victoria isn't capable of caring about anyone but herself. And so she created her own worst enemy.

I love seeing a heroine who isn't soft deep down under her hard shell. Sure, there are moments of doubt, but in the end, she has a plan and the people who destroyed her and her father are going down.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I haven't seen much if any empathy from her. She didn't feel any for Lydia. She just didn't want to get blamed. She's in constant manipulation mode with Daniel so I can't say I've seen it there. She cares about a few things: her dad, her revenge, the dog, Jack and maybe Nolan. But even right now I think she'd toss Nolan over. It's not a true friendship. She doesn't give a damn even about RealEmily who would probably do anything for her.

The glimpses of a real human person is so rare so I love those moments.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Emily's definitely a bit more different for a female protagonist though on network TV. She's capable of pretty horrendous things but we're still supposed to sympathise with her actions.

Edited by darkestboy, Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:07 AM.

dersankt

dersankt

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

I have to disagree about Emanda being able to toss Nolan over -- after all, her wealth is tied to his success as a businessman. Would be quite difficult to off him and not see her wealth crater a bit. The father tied them in together right from the beginning as if he kinda predicted this may happen and Nolan is the voice of empathy.

They agree on a lot of things; but, not everything. It's good for Emanda to have the voice of dissent every now and then, lest her plans unravel too much.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

I didn't mean kill him or anything. I mean something similar as what she did before and blew up whatever he was doing with Tyler. If he's in her way, she'll move him out.

bahamut1987

bahamut1987

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 5:27 AM

I have to disagree about Emanda being able to toss Nolan over -- after all, her wealth is tied to his success as a businessman. Would be quite difficult to off him and not see her wealth crater a bit.

The writers could take that route, but they could just as easily have had Emily divest the majority of her NolCorp holdings and diversify into businesses and investments in every corner of the globe. It's been seven or eight years since she received her father's inheritance, and she's been shown to be both intelligent and knowledgeable enough to do so and increase her wealth dramatically at the same time. She'd then be immune to fluctuations in a single market, much less having her fate tied to the fortunes of a single company. The Count found thirteen million francs in Spada's gold beneath Monte Cristo, and listed eighty million in funds and assets when he prepared his will, so the precedent is there for this eventuality.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be too tied to the notion that Emily could not turn on Nolan cruelly and drastically.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Oh, I could see Emily turning on Nolan, I just rather she didn't. I'd like to see her show some loyalty to someone. Nolan seems as good as anyone, doesn't he?

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Nolan's company is David's too in a way. So even if Emily didn't care about Nolan's fate, I think she'd care that the company David helped to create survived.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Emanda could definitely turn on Nolan if he got in her way but I also think that even her feelings for Jack are limited. Her love for her father and her hatred of Victoria are everything to her. In an ideal world, she would like to see Jack, Nolan and maybe even Charlotte end up happy but that's very secondary to her. Part of the fun of the series will be in seeing if someone can actually get her to truly care about something as much as she does Revenge!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Nolan certainly cares for her but again, their dynamic is so wonderful, I really wouldn't want it to go beyond that sibling vibe they have.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Nice to see Emanda show a conscience in this episode. Too bad it blew up in her face anyway.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Did it ever. But it worked out for her plans in the end which I don't think she was all that upset about. Can't wait to see how she regroups.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

She is such a delicious character. They are all great, even the dumb hunky guys. I hope to see her crack sometime, to really show regret or question herself. I'd also like to see her suffer some real consequences, like maybe at the end it is all done and Jack is ready to ride off into the sunset but she can't or won't or somehow screws up her happiness.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I think why Emily is so good because we don't have that many leading female characters we're supposed to root be as deliberately grey area as Emily and it's awesome to watch. Also Emily Van Camp has been a bloody revelation in this show. The writers are really utilising her talents on this show.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I loved pre-Emily Amanda in last night's episode. Was surprised that she was so slutty in the beginning, but considering all that she'd been through, it's natural she'd be just as much as a hot mess as Amily.

The meltdown at the end, as she realized that she and her father's lives were ruined by those people and she spent all those years hating her father and would never have the chance to tell him otherwise was fantastic. We rarely get to see her unleash all her emotions like that. Give EVC an Emmy!

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

I agree Spartan Girl. The episode didn't move the plot much, but it gave a lot of insight into Emanda and Nolan that we didn't previously have and the acting by everything was wonderful.

I found it realistic that Amanda would exit juvie without any direction and a whole lot of anger and self loathing which would make it fairly inevitable that she would be a self-destructive mess. So of course the only thing she was doing was acting out and using her bottomless bank account to expedite her own destruction. And really, how does a kid like that even register the thought of having billions of dollars all of the sudden?

Edited by RachelKM, May 10, 2012 @ 1:51 PM.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

• Interests:Sci-Fi TV shows and films, Sci-Fi books such as Star Trek and Star Wars, reading Sci-Fi fanfic and BtVS fanfic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Well, Spartan Girl, i'd say the other factor that put Amanda (at this stage she was still Amanda Clarke) on her current path and realising just how ruthless the conspirators were, was the murder of that accountant (it's know wonder the poor guy had turned into a lush with what he knew).

Edited by Tweeky, May 11, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

I found it fascinating that this whole revenge quest actually saved Emanda's life by giving it purpose without it she would have no place to put the anger. They really showed why Emanda needs to do this, and what happens if she doesn't have something or someone to work that rage against.

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I found it fascinating that this whole revenge quest actually saved Emanda's life by giving it purpose without it she would have no place to put the anger. They really showed why Emanda needs to do this, and what happens if she doesn't have something or someone to work that rage against

It's interesting that it gave her purpose and stopped her from self-destructing. And yet, I think the most interesting story is what will happen to Emanda once she exacts her revenge. 9 year old Amanda might have grown up to live happily ever but I don't think that this Emanda will ever be content with happy-ever-after.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

I think we needed an episode that showed us where Emily's thirst for vengeance first started because it did seem she was on a self-destructive path before channeling her rage into taking the Graysons down.