Ink Master

• Please log in to reply

1428 replies to this topic

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

I'm trying to figure out why the current roster is there at all. Every one of them has been called out for really bad tattoo work.

But.

I have no idea why. I wouldn't know a "bad" tattoo, that is, one that Dave Navarro and Co. says is bad. I know that jailhouse tattoos are really hideous, those done with a safety pin and no time. My ex-husband has one that looks like someone doodled on his arm with a marker. I know that's shit.

Kay Kutta's tattoo from the first episode, the skull and crown, actually looked kind of neat, but he was in the bottom, and I was lost as to why. He's an asshole, I get that, but are they worried that it will fade without an outline? (BTW, I totally get why the girl was sent home. She splattered herself with ink, then misspelled the tattoo. I understood completely.) Also, why did the guy who cut his customer not at least end up on the chopping block? He. CUT. his. customer. That could lead to potential infection for both the client and the artist, and that's not okay.

That being said, I didn't know why Mike went home in episode two. The customer wanted a dog; he got a dog. It looked almost photo realistic, and it did look like the drawing Mike and the client agreed on. I would have sent the guy home who just put a lighthouse scene around the circular wave tattoo.

ITA with the idea that they need to take the client's opinion into consideration. Just sitting in judgement, and being sanctimonious isn't impressing me. The drama between the contestants, and the work they produce, is what keeps me tuning in.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

I wonder what some of the clients think when they're sitting at home watching these episodes and having their tattoos picked apart by the judges.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Also, why did the guy who cut his customer not at least end up on the chopping block? He. CUT. his. customer. That could lead to potential infection for both the client and the artist, and that's not okay.

It looked like that the splatter-ink girl also cut her client on the close-up of her tattoo. LOL That she got cut before the round that she said was her specialty, the cover-up. Hopefully she gave her client a free cover-up for that misspell of Corinthians.

I wonder what some of the clients think when they're sitting at home watching these episodes and having their tattoos picked apart by the judges.

Especially that guy who was super happy about his dragon tattoo only to have it pointed out that both of the wings are coming from the same side of the dragon, one of them coming out from the neck. I wonder if they do offer any removal services to the canvases. Also, this is my first season of the show -- do they always interview the canvases or was that bird-of-paradise lady the only one to do so? "I know it's his $100,000 but this is my life!"

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

It's a shame prison guy is such a cocky bastard. He seems to have some instinct for art, but he needs training to put it together the right way. When he was working on his flash challenge in the second one, I kept thinking he's in the right area, wrong specialty.

We've gone from 2 women to 3. Maybe next season we can just get one, but one that can actually perform.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

It looked like that the splatter-ink girl also cut her client on the close-up of her tattoo. LOL That she got cut before the round that she said was her specialty, the cover-up. Hopefully she gave her client a free cover-up for that misspell of Corinthians.

I wish C.J. (I think that was her name) had been able to stay for a couple of episodes. I give her a lot of credit because she had enough self-awareness to say during her final confessional "I just ruined my career on national TV".

Stimpson

Stimpson

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

*sigh* Only two episodes in, and I already miss Tommy Helm. Man, I had the biggest crush on that guy.

I'm about to make your day then. His new show comes on right after Ink Master.

http://www.spike.com...ttoo-nightmares

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Wait... did the VO say that these are sixteen of the BEST tattoo artists in the country?

I'm trying to figure out why the current roster is there at all. Every one of them has been called out for really bad tattoo work.

I also really don't get this. I can only figure (but am too lazy to look it up) that people apply to be on the show and are deemed worthy based upon what they submit...? Does anyone know? I have several tattoos, and while none have been done by "world-famous" artists, they were done by the best in my area, and look hella better than what some of these people are turning out.

I know you can't trust the editing but I couldn't believe how they were all laughing at each other at judging. They were all pretty dick-ish. They need to come to the boards to get some of that snarkishness out.

I have a short memory when it comes to last season, but it seems like then, there was less constant shit-talking in the house and ugly looks and laughing at each other during judging. I want to see the artistry, not the made-up drama. I do realize it's largely editing, but I could really, really do without it. If I wanted to watch that kind of tripe, I'd tune into the Real Housewives or Basketball Wives.

Edited by wematanye, Oct 14, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

I have a short memory when it comes to last season, but it seems like then, there was less constant shit-talking in the house and ugly looks and laughing at each other during judging. I want to see the artistry, not the made-up drama. I do realize it's largely editing, but I could really, really do without it.

There was a lot of shit-talking last season. In fact, Heather Sinn talked about how they were forced to sit around without sleep until they said nasty things about each other and the work. She hated it, and gave some really negative interviews about the show after she left. Al Fliction (did I really just type that stupid name?) talked heaps of shit, and stirred up a lot of drama. Shane talked a lot of shit about everyone. So, yeah, there was tons of it going on last season. These shows think that's' why people watch. Maybe that's why some people watch, but I hate it.

*sigh* Only two episodes in, and I already miss Tommy Helm. Man, I had the biggest crush on that guy.

Still pissed that he didn't win. I mean, really pissed.

Edited by BDArizona, Oct 15, 2012 @ 1:22 AM.

Poindexter

Poindexter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

My mother had a tattoo done by Jamie before he opened his shop. The tattoo itself is inconsequential to his talent as an artist, since we went in with something very specific in mind, but it was executed well. I wouldn't hesitate to have one done by him, or to go to his shop. My first tattoo was done there as was two of my sister's. Before we went to him we asked several friends that we trusted for their opinions and they all said to go to him. I hope he doesn't disappoint on the show! So far, he and Sebastian seem to be pretty level headed. Unlike Kay Kutta and Clint. Although I did laugh at Clint saying "I win!" when he was talking about hiding his model.

(To clarify, as it sounds like my family is covered in tattoos--my very religious grandmother got her tattoo when she was 65 and my mom, sister and I followed suit. All of our tattoos are small, but well loved. Strangely, no men in the family have one.)

Edited by Poindexter, Oct 15, 2012 @ 8:07 PM.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Squee! Thanks, Stimpson! :)

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

Next week is going to be intense:

Tattoos!

Phoenixes!

Fire!

Vaginas!

I can't wait...

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Next week is going to be intense:

Tattoos!

Phoenixes!

Fire!

Vaginas!

I can't wait...

This show is generally so anti-vagina, that will be interesting.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

Me too! *Gives the highest of fives* Did you have a chance to check out Tattoo Nightmares? What I saw before falling asleep was pretty cool and quite funny. I'm not sure which category the show falls into though. Hopefully a thread will be opened so we can discuss.

Ok, I'm going to need Kay Kutta to stop acting like this show is Survivor. I get that there's much smack talk and all, but there really isn't a psychological game to this show. Every artist is actually competing against themself and they seem to have enough of a challenge getting lines and shading right to stand in front of the judges and defend their work. All that bluster is not necessary at all.

If I were the other contestants, if I chose to respond at all it would be, "Yes, you're in my head. You're the best." in the dryest possible tone I could muster.

Edited by iggystar, Oct 17, 2012 @ 7:53 AM.

kestrelle

kestrelle

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I think the reason that the quality is subpar is because these tattoo artists have to be able to take "11 weeks" (probably more like 2-3) of unpaid time off to come compete for $100K. Most good tattoo artists I know (in the DC area) are making client appointments 3 months out or are so full they aren't taking clients any more. Shutting down like that isn't feasible, even if the exposure is worth it.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

As much as I dislike his personality and attitude and pretty much every word out of his mouth, I have to admit that Kay Kutta did win the straight line hair clipping Flash Challenge last night, the same as he did last week with the body painting. I hate the new twist that winning it gives him so much power.

Those were some ugly ass eagles. Shouldn't a classic eagle be Tattoo 101, regardless of whether it's 'old school' style or not?

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

What is the problem with these American Classic tattoos. I seem to remember last season most everyone bombed on this challenge. None of the tats impressed me so I'm glad there was no winner. They ranged from mediocre to terrible. Kay Kutta stop bragging about your ho-hum work. You didn't stink big whoop.

Richness

Richness

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I want to really enjoy this show, but the outrageous smack talk and personalities make it almost impossible.

Kay Kutta is just Al Fliction 2.0, and needs to go ASAP. I had to laugh when the old guy chose Kay, and he turned out to be a virgin. While I don't know if the canvas was reading the room and chose Kay to try and put him in his place with all the posturing, I don't think I would do something like that with something as semi-permanent as a tattoo.

I also thought Clint Cummings was going to be the biggest jerk there, but he's turned into a whiny baby that cries cause nothing ever goes his way. They both need to shut up and grow up.

I'm sticking with the show for the competition and critique of the work. However, Olliver's toothpick still annoys.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Kay Kutta has quickly moved up my list of most hated reality show contestants. What an asshole. I know there's going to be some game playing but he has sunk to new lows. I want him gone ASAP which means he'll be around awhile. Ugh. So you can cut hair - go be a barber!

I'm sticking with the show for the competition and critique of the work. However, Olliver's toothpick still annoys.

Last season I was hoping he'd get it stuck in his cheek and have to have it surgically removed. I'm still hoping.

I'm still having trouble with their names but no one is really impressing me anyway.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

While I don't know if the canvas was reading the room and chose Kay to try and put him in his place with all the posturing, I don't think I would do something like that with something as semi-permanent as a tattoo.

I took it as his canvas saw that he had won the previous challenge so assumed that he was the best tattoo artist there.

lisah25

lisah25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

Kay Kutta stop bragging about your ho-hum work. You didn't stink big whoop.

Yep, when the best they can say about your work is "You aren't going home", you not all that.

He drives me nuts, I fast forward through all the scenes of them sitting around talking.

I hoped that maybe his canvas knew he was going to be challenge and wanted to make Kay's life a little harder.

And I feel bad for the canvases, knowing the person assigning them to an artist is trying to make bad matches on purpose, just to win.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

Kay Kutta (stupid name - is it a play on Calcutta?) has to be vying for his own reality show or at least trying to get his 15 minutes of shame. If not, what an asshole. I cannot stand him. The more the others react to him, the more he talks. How I wish the others would just not respond to him and ignore his stupid ass.

I enjoy this show to see some good tat work and to hear the assholes get ripped a new one by the judges. I can't wait for the day Kay Kutta is off this show.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

The guy saying it was harder for him because he is black was a big wtf moment for me. Is that true? I would think what matters is skill. If I want a tattoo, I want the best person for the type of tattoo I am getting. I don't care if he is green if he has the skill.

Maleficent

Maleficent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Kay Kutta is a douchebag, but his doucheness doesn't even come close to Al Flicktions assholery douchebag mastery. At least Kay has an inkling of artistic talent, though he lacks greatly in technical skill. Al Flicktion, on the other hand, complete waste of space. I remember the shading challenge he won and he completely scammed the judges on that one. Photographer my ass.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Another season, another group of assholes who disrespect the style of American traditional simply because they can't do it themselves. I don't like Oliver Peck, but I don't blame him for being pissed at these people for screwing up a style of tattooing that the entire industry was built on, then having the nerve to act like it's beneath them and their mad skillz. Fuck that. Having just drawn American traditional on paper, I can tell you it's not as easy as it looks. These people don't have to like it or do it themselves in their own shops, but if they agree to go on a show called "Ink Master", they should brush up on as many different styles as they can, even the ones their grandpas could do (Clint, WTF did that mean, anyway?).

Kay Kutta doesn't anger me, but he is a douchetastic moron. I'm sure he thinks he's making good television, but we've seen his character on various reality shows a million times before; hell, we've seen it on this show before in Al Fliction. Ho-hum, dred man, ho-hum. I won't bat an eye when your boring ass gets booted.

I'm liking Sarah more with each episode. Is she the most talented artist there? No, but it seems like she has her shit together and stands up for herself in a direct, eloquent way. Here's hoping Kay Kutta won't get to her the next episode, because I didn't like the look of the previews.

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I fast forward through all the scenes of them sitting around talking.

lisah25, you aren't alone. I'm so over the smack-talking that I've started fast-forwarding through anything not directly related to the tattoo challenges or judging. I didn't tune in to Ink Master to watch Real World.

tvprime

tvprime

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

I know the show is geared towards men, but will we get a season that doesn't involve painting near naked women? At least they put those challenges early in the season to get them over with. SMH.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Personally, I vote for near-naked women! My wife, however, not as much...

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

The guy saying it was harder for him because he is black was a big wtf moment for me. Is that true? I would think what matters is skill. If I want a tattoo, I want the best person for the type of tattoo I am getting. I don't care if he is green if he has the skill.

This annoyed me, too. To my knowledge, there is no shortage of black tattoo artists. (I have several tattoos, as does my sister--her most recent work was done by a black artist.) I agree that I want a skilled tattooer above all.

BTW, one of my tattoos was done by a woman, and she rocked. We live in North Carolina, not NYC or L.A., either. So, shut up, complaining assholes on the show.

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

Dear Clint: look up the word "irony". Example: when you complain and carry on about your client wanting a head tattoo when you have a head tattoo (a skull-and-crossbones, no less).

I can't stand 90% of the people on this show. It's become total hate-watch for me now.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

I hope Nick's canvas enjoyed the three tattoos that she got because I'm guessing she's not going to be let in to any other parlors now. Sheesh! I don't know what more experience could've done for him because she seemed off the rails. How much does client satisfaction play in the judging? I hope this isn't going to be a new trend. Or was she a plant?

But um...turning up the machine to cause more pain to your client? That dude is not gaining any new customers either.