Ink Master

• Please log in to reply

1456 replies to this topic

chonies

chonies

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 2:58 PM

My biggest shock of the evening was that Kyle really was threatening Nunez. I thought it was totally staged all along, and was also surprised that it was used a million times in trailers. As stunned as I was, I was also rolling my eyes really hard at Melissa's overly earnest concern for Kyle. It gave a rash of secondhand embarrassment.

Sausage will probably win, but agreed with the whining. I also think his "as a new man of faith" dodge on the gargoyle tattoo was stupid. Gargoyles weren't meant to be demonic (generally) and there could be many layers of meaning. Ugh. 

I officially hate everyone this season, possibly excepting Matti because he seems to stay under the radar. Everyone else is whiny or drama queeny. 

Art123Guy

Art123Guy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

They often show them using laptops to find sources. The X-men challenge was totally all based on film stills or promo headshots. So when is it doing your research and when is it actual tracing?

Doing research would consist of looking at a bunch of references then drawing it. The more references you use, the more original the drawing is and looks. Tracing it would be putting tracing paper over the reference and, well, tracing it. Tracing is obviously easier and faster, however still not perfect. You could give 10 people the same photo to trace and you'd get 10 different tracings of various skill levels.

Didn't everyone complain about Joshua not being an artist last season? Maybe it wasn't that he was a tracer (Chasing Amy reference), but that he could only copy references. And I don't mean that as a slam either.

Richness

Richness

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

Bitch Master continues to disappoint. At least the fight previews weren't a misdirection. While both Kyle and Nunez need to get over themselves,  I side with Kyle in their argument. And while not-so-Gentle Jay may be right about some men just need to fight it out, I really don't like seeing that as the outcome of any situation.

Anyway, I agree with the losing and winning tattoos. That werewolf was just a confusing mess. Scott's was a bit wonky as well, but I at least respect him for giving the customer what he wanted. In that regard, Sausage seemed to steer the customer away from a bad choice just like the judges are always advocating.

Unfortunately, I lost some of my admiration for Sausage in this episode. They all need to quit bitching about being given a bad tattoo or canvas. It's part of the game. If you want to impress, do an outstanding job under adverse circumstances. The Scott/Mattie alliance vs Halo vs Sausage aspect of this is sort of amusing.

The previews make it look like if Jay can't win with talent, he's going to try and win by discrediting someone else. Hope he's the one that goes home if that's the case.

chonies

chonies

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 4:53 PM

I think Kyle and Nunez were just talking past each other. Nuñez seemed to be trying to give Kyle a Hank Hill-style "baby want a dirt bottle?" pep speech, and Kyle just might not roll that way. Nuñez was wrong to try to do the negative motivational speech [and multiple times, at that], and Kyle was wrong to go after Nuñez. I personally can't choose a side in this one, in part because Kyle was being obtuse from the beginning, and last season, where he said that the judges are the enemy, and that it's like a war. Constantly thinking of the judges as an adversary was  definitely the wrong approach because it led him down the path to an undesirable conclusion. 

Relatedly, I know Kyle was neatly excised from the show and is listed on Wikipedia as disqualified, but part of me is still wondering if this was a set up. The stubborn, bored, part of me. 

ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 5:00 PM

Aren't most of the inktestants saying that Kyle is a conspiracy theorist, which really can't be easy to be around for some people. He could be like that in real life because Kyle has shown that he's rather difficult to talk to. Even when given helpful advice from people like Scott and Sausage he still becomes difficult. I think if Kyle actually blocked out what Nunez said and paid more attention to Peck and Navarro who don't do the favoritism and maybe talked to the inktestants who tried to help him with helpful advice he might have been better off. Kyle kept concentrating more on the negative and didn't think of positive ways to deal with the criticism and show it in his work. 

I mean the tattoo I liked of his was that kitty he did on that woman's lower leg in one of the flash challenges. Only one that stood out to me because it was so pretty.

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 7:36 PM

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Kyle one of the main people giving Tattoo Baby a hard time for not sucking it up last year when she was given a second chance?  If this is true, then she looks like Rambo at this point, because she definitely handled the pressure much better then he did.  I know Nunez was picking on him, but that is still no excuse for physically attacking somebody.

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 8:19 PM

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Kyle one of the main people giving Tattoo Baby a hard time for not sucking it up last year when she was given a second chance?  If this is true, then she looks like Rambo at this point, because she definitely handled the pressure much better then he did.

I think everybody gave Tatu Baby shit for that, but yeah, I agree that she handled things a hell of a lot better than Kyle did.  I still think Nunez is an arrogant asshole, but Kyle had crazy eyes when he charged at him and he did not do himself or his business any favors.  I agree with Halo; Kyle was just plain in the wrong, no matter what Nunez said.

Quality

Quality

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 7:48 AM

Sausage will probably win, but agreed with the whining. I also think his "as a new man of faith" dodge on the gargoyle tattoo was stupid. Gargoyles weren't meant to be demonic (generally) and there could be many layers of meaning. Ugh.

His objection was to the idea of having to tattoo anything dark or demonic on himself if the canvas bailed.

chonies

chonies

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 8:08 AM

His objection was to the idea of having to tattoo anything dark or demonic on himself if the canvas bailed.

Right, but I think the general art history explanation of gargoyles is that they're not really demonic, and I thought his objection was overwrought and imprecise. Specifically at face value, I thought his objection to the gargoyles showed a gap in his knowledge about art.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:29 PM

Rob Zombie didn't say anything about Scott's "Black Sunday" tattoo.

Well, considering the show is edited, maybe he did -- and that's why Jay started paying attention to how Scott (if that's who he accuses of being a tracer) creates his "art".  They could have edited it out because they didn't want to get rid of Scott without generating some drama first.  *shrug*  We'll see what next week brings.

Edited by DementedDaisy, Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:30 PM.

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:49 PM

Gentle Jay freaks me out.  He's like a wild-eyed member of ZZ Top.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 5:54 AM

And while not-so-Gentle Jay may be right about some men just need to fight it out, I really don't like seeing that as the outcome of any situation.

My new name for him is "Psycho Jay".  It fits, right?

Gentle Jay freaks me out.  He's like a wild-eyed member of ZZ Top.

If someone in ZZ Top beat people to death with his bare hands, sure.

I think everybody gave Tatu Baby shit for that, but yeah, I agree that she handled things a hell of a lot better than Kyle did.  I still think Nunez is an arrogant asshole, but Kyle had crazy eyes when he charged at him and he did not do himself or his business any favors.  I agree with Halo; Kyle was just plain in the wrong, no matter what Nunez said.

It's a tough situation to call sides on, I'd say, when both sides are occupied by pieces of shit in human form.  Kyle is a hypocritical jackass (because yes, he did pick on Baby for the same thing), as well as delusional and mean.  Nunez is arrogant, self-important and clearly likes the sense of power being a judge gives him.  In other words, they're both kind of disgusting.

BobH

BobH

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

Yeah, I think I'm done with the show. They're continually amping up everything I least liked about it, and it's pretty obvious from how they hyped it in previews that the producers thought the Kyle/Nunez "fight" was the greatest thing that could happen. I'm almost dreading what happens if they bring Kyle back for the finale

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 1:37 PM

Yeah, I think I'm done with the show. They're continually amping up everything I least liked about it, and it's pretty obvious from how they hyped it in previews that the producers thought the Kyle/Nunez "fight" was the greatest thing that could happen. I'm almost dreading what happens if they bring Kyle back for the finale

Yeah, I'm with you.  The only reason I keep watching at this point is Dave Navarro; I developed a crush on him in junior high, and it never really went away.  If we could put Dave on Best Ink, that would be the perfect solution.

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 2:29 PM

I still like seeing the tattoos, but then, I only watch the intro and picking the skins, then FF to judging. The show is tolerable that way and sometimes the judges stumble their way into making a semi-interesting point about style or technique.

I don't exactly have a crush on Dave, but he is the best thing about the show.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

Aren't most of the inktestants saying that Kyle is a conspiracy theorist, which really can't be easy to be around for some people. He could be like that in real life because Kyle has shown that he's rather difficult to talk to. Even when given helpful advice from people like Scott and Sausage he still becomes difficult. I think if Kyle actually blocked out what Nunez said and paid more attention to Peck and Navarro who don't do the favoritism and maybe talked to the inktestants who tried to help him with helpful advice he might have been better off. Kyle kept concentrating more on the negative and didn't think of positive ways to deal with the criticism and show it in his work. 

Kyle is always talking about manning up and how important this is for his family. Well guess what Kyle, when presented with an asshole, turn the other cheek. Being a man does not mean picking fights, and acting like a bitch because you think everyone's against you. He's been whining about Nunez the entire show, dude, get over it and move on. He really should've taken Scott's advice when he said Kyle should stop worrying about what other people are doing and focus on his own work. Seriously, Kyle sabotaged himself the entire sgow. He let people get in his head, and clearly he is too iimmature to handle any kind of pressure or more than moderate criticism, good riddance.

And anyone on this show complaing about the judges is an idiot, they knew exactly what they were getting into, especially Kyle. 

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 7:05 PM

Kind of funny to think that it was Kyle who screamed at Ashley for being a whiner way back in the first episode.  Not that she wasn't a whiner, but yeah, still funny.

Edited by BiteMeBilly, Apr 19, 2014 @ 7:06 PM.