Ink Master

• Please log in to reply

1454 replies to this topic

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

I saw her YouTube discussion of the issue, and I would have liked to hear Jamie's defense.

I read the email he sent to her about it, it was lame. Basically he said he looked at a lot of images for Inspiration and must of copied it by accident.

Edited by fifty8th, Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:44 PM.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens more than people think. There are only so many ways you can design dragons, or sacred hearts, or whatever.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

There do seem to be way too many similarities to her design for it to be a coincidence. I do, however, think that her claim that using hearts for the glow on the eye is her signature thing and no one else can do it is silly. I'm pretty sure Lisa Frank was doing it before her.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

It's not that surprising that Baby was chosen to come back: she had been eliminated like 15 minutes before, so the feeling that she deserved a second chance was strong. Especially when you consider that Sebastian basically took her spot and crapped all over it with a terrible attitude. I'm glad he didn't make the F2, although it really should have been a decision made by the judges. That awful tattoo (in terms of subject/client) was done for nothing in the end.

I knew Steve would win because he had been better than Sarah during the whole competition, on top of being a man, but I'm glad that she was top 2 and earned the respect of the judges and got to show her stuff. I was really impressed with a lot of things she did during the competition.

Regarding the controversy with Jamie: I mean, his "phoenix" is 90% the same as that woman's peacocks, so really, he shouldn't pretend that he didn't copy them. It's a thing to have one design element similar, but those birds are practically identical. That being said, I do believe that he never meant harm, although that's a problem in and of itself.

And that live finale was a pure, utter trainwreck. Everyone was extremely nervous, the sound was out of whack, nobody could articulate or say their lines, the fight with the pin up client was scripted as hell and looked straight out of Maury Povitch and that crazy ass client of Nick's was even more full of shit. The way they had all those people stand there on stage was awkward as hell as well. And the fan voting element was pure bullshit. Reveal the winner live if you have to, and then do a rehearsed Reunion show like everyone else, don't try to reinvent the wheel, Spike.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Turned to the channel, saw it was the finale and found out I missed the episode before it. Change the channel and wait for the repeat of that episode at 11:00 so I don't get spoiled any further. Change the channel at 11:01 and get spoiled by the winner.

What a suckily produced live show.

And also, this show should be renamed from "Ink Master" to "Kiss-Up to the Judges Master." If they did, then I agree with Steve's win.

Not watching next season, what a waste of time.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I talked about not remembering Sebastian's designs, but I can't remember Steve's, either. I remember the busted heroin addict he did for the priest, but that's it. Honestly, I think this cast was only half as talented as last season's.

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

My chief problem with Tatu Baby returning next season is that I just don't think she's going to show us anything that we haven't already seen. She made it through most of the season and during that time, we got a clear sense of her as a tattooist, both her strengths and her weaknesses. We can argue that she should have been in the finale over Sebastian, but she wasn't going to have a realistic shot of winning and her performance over the course of the seasons was uneven at best. She had some really nice peices, but she also had some serious messes. Is she really going to make some major improvements between now and the start of next season where we're going to get some real surprises in regards to her technique and artistic outlook? I just don't see it happening.

If she had been cut early in the season, where it can be argued that we didn't have a chance to see what she could do, I would understand wanting to bring her back. But I get no sense that she was cut too early or that she was done in by a circumstance out of her control. Besides the leopard (and no, that wasn't a jaguar going by the shape of the head and the pattern of the rosettes) and the Yoda, most of her work was middle of the road at best. And as a personality, she didn't bring much to the show. I would much rather watch Clint, spoiled child that he was, or Sarah's temper getting the better of her than Baby who's sole contribution seemed to be how tightly she could squeeze herself into a corset top.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

I don't mind that Baby is coming back. I liked her, and I think she really shined during a few challenges. I wouldn't want to watch Clint in a million years, because the head tats distract me, and he acts like a whiny little asshole. The only other person I'd want in Baby's place is Jamie, but what can ya do?

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

In fairness to Baby (and some of the others) I think one of her issues was that she had to adapt to the shorter timeframes. Once she did, her pieces got markedly better, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her do better on average next season. I also expect her to study American Traditional and Japanese for the challenges, since those were her weaknesses. I definitely think she could be good.

MrsODemus

MrsODemus

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Chris Nunez looked.. distracting during the whole thing. With that little mustache, and the way his hair was styled. All I could think of was a very bad person from the 1940's. :( I hate to even compare anyone to that person, but the look screamed it. He looked just awful.

hatchetgirl

hatchetgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

I thought it was ridiculous that Sebastian was eliminated from the finale only due to the votes of the public through the season. So that poor woman had a piece of crap tattoo on her back only to not even have that tattoo get a vote from the judges at all! How is that right or fair?

I'm very disappointed with Jamie plagarizing that work. How sad. He was one of my favorites. Not anymore!

BessieLimpet

BessieLimpet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

I know this is petty and nitpicky as hell but I've got one thing to say to pretty much every person on this show....

It's a piCture, not a pitcher that you use in your line of work.

Every damn one of them said pitcher and it drove me up the damn wall.

Just had to get that off my chest.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

And, lastly, am I the only one that thinks it's strange that the guy that didn't win Season 1 is the one that got a show on Spike and was referenced on the show last night? Shouldn't the guy that won be the one that gets TV appearances and mentions?

Tommy seemed to be the fan favorite, and that's what you base future offers on. Tommy was going to get people to tune in; Shane was not.

Sara tried to talk all of her canvases into changing their tattoo into what she wanted.

Sarah talked people out of things that were too big or complex for the time frame. She didn't completely ignore them as human beings. She talked them into black/gray over color and the like; she didn't essentially say, "Fuck you, I don't care that I'm ruining your entire body with this shit."

And that is why Sebastian is a complete and utter piece of shit. I don't care that the canvas signed up for the show. To me, saying that someone signed up so it's okay that they get mutilated by some no-talent hack is really off-base. Sebastian has proven he has no respect for the people he works on. He did that more than once over the course of the season. People sign up knowing that they will get something done in a too-short time frame. They know it will have to meet some competition guidelines. But I don't blame anyone for not knowing the show would put them in the hands of a sadistic hack like Sebastian. And that is what Sebastian is--a sadistic piece of shit. From his earlier comments about intentionally trying to hurt someone to his refusal to take any input at all or consider this human being in the slightest. He's walking garbage, and there's no excuse for that. I'm not going to excuse that kind of behavior in an effort to provide cover for some lowbrow reality TV show.

He is hot, I grant you, but I'm sure he's teeming with sexually transmitted diseases, or whatever the kids call them nowadays.

I'm not even sure I think the PPoD is all that hot anymore. He's a stereotype of bad boy, and it's grown thin.

As for the kids, I think the P.C. term is sexually transmitted infection these days. Can't call it a "disease", because it might be traumatizing, I guess. Heh.

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Sarah talked people out of things that were too big or complex for the time frame. She didn't completely ignore them as human beings. She talked them into black/gray over color and the like; she didn't essentially say, "Fuck you, I don't care that I'm ruining your entire body with this shit."

Sarah did what any good, professional, responsible artist does when a client presents them with an unworkable or unreasonable request. Tells them their options, gives them choices and works on the design until both are satisfied. She had some difficult clients who either wanted things that could not be accomplished within the time limitations to her satisfaction (like the tool who wanted the bacon landscape) or who's idea would need signifigant tweeking to fit in with the challenge theme (Japanese). She never outright dismissed a client and worked very hard to give them as close to what they wanted as she possibly could. While not all of her tattoos were prefect, she didn't butcher someone the way Sebastian did, and she didn't totally fuck up a tattoo beyond any chance of being fixed (the way Clint's Japanese drago was such a total mess).

In the real world when a client presents an idea about what they want, the artist has the freedom to allow as much time as needed to complete the job in question, or to reject the client outright. Sarah didn't have that luxury. She had to accept whatever canvas she was assigned, work within the time allowance and fulfill the focus of that week's challenge requirement. She still managed to pretty much give every person she tattooed what they wanted. That is the mark of a real pro despite not having the years in the business that Steve or Sebastian boasted.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

I do remember Sara trying to talk the one client out of getting a wolf and getting a different animal, and recall her doing the same kind of thing to other clients as well. In a real tattoo shop, the artist certainly has the responsiblity and the ability to tell the client what can and cannot be done in specific time frames etc, but in this show specific challenges are set up and must be completed. If Sara has a problem with working within these parameters, this is not the show for her to appear on.

Never thought I would be defending Sebastian, but: he completed all of the same challenges as every one else. In the Star Wars challenge he did the requested Star Wars character, in the portrait challenge he did the required portrait. The only time he did what he wanted was in the finale where the artists were given the freedom of doing what they wanted. Now, I wouldn't want that on my back, but the person volunteered to have anything the artist wanted tattooed. If Sara and Steve had the freedom to do different things based on their judgement, strengths, time contraints etc, then Sebastian has to be afforded the same freedom.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Maddingcrowd: Never thought I would be defending Sebastian, but...

Same here. I was no fan of Sebastian throughout the show, but he was trying to win $100,000, and that woman was dumb enough to sign up for a large tattoo over which she had no control. The whole point of that final challenge was that, unlike all previous ones, he didn't have to take her opinions into consideration at all. The way I see it, it wasn't him being a jerk; he was doing precisely what the challenge intended. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Steve or Sarah would have been much more accommodating had their canvases objected (and given the way this show is edited, they might very well have had issues and we just didn't get to see that). That woman got a very expensive lesson in not being an idiot just to get herself on tv. I don't feel sorry for her in the least.

In Sebastian's position, I wouldn't hamstring myself with 100k on the line just because the producers or whoever game me a canvas whose tastes were so different from mine. And frankly, that's exactly who I blame most--whoever on the show assigned that woman to him. They should have had a decent idea of each artist's style by then, and they could have assigned her to Sarah instead. Either Sebastian surprised them by going way outside of his wheel house, or they were hoping for a situation like this so they could show "moar drama!"

AllieP

AllieP

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Sebastian went way outside his normal lack of style in the final tattoo. I have had issue with him, however, since the "turn up the machine" comment. As a responsible tattooer, I would never even THINK to do that.

lyssla

lyssla

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

I thought the live format for the finale was a train wreck, but the viewer vote element actually worked out pretty well (aside from Sebastian's poor canvas getting that giant horror tattoo for nothing). Having the vote eliminate one of the contestants, as opposed to crowning the winner (a la Face Off), left the ultimate decision up to the judges, who are better equipped to judge the tattoos due to their expertise in the subject matter and their ability to view the tattoos at a level of detail that the audience cannot.

I also thought it was pretty clever to have the elimination based on having the fewest cumulative audience votes for each week's best tattoo. Looking at who received the fewest, rather than most, votes, and tallying votes throughout the season reduced the skew as far as popularity votes and added a "track record" element.

In any event was pretty gratifying to see Sebastian, who made it to the finale merely by not being the worst each week. When I think of him I immediately think of his awful yellow pinup girl (about as sexy as a blistering sore), his awful attitude towards his canvases, and not much else.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 12:18 PM

New episodes start the 16th.  

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

My chief problem with Tatu Baby returning next season is that I just don't think she's going to show us anything that we haven't already seen.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a whole lot more of her... if you know what I mean.

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

So I just marathoned through a ton of episodes on hulu (I'm up to Holy Ink). This show is very addictive. Can someone please explain to me why Sarah is often (if not always) the one who explains the concept/technique they are testing when they go to a confessional? What I mean is that after the judges explain the theme, they cut to a confessional where Sarah explains gradation, contrast, etc. Why is it always her?

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

I'm watching a rerun of last season and have made it through the Blowing Chunks episode, before the new season starts later tonight.

First, I've never watched this show before, so my initial thoughts are: I HATE to see anyone with a toothpick, straw, piece of grass, etc. hanging out of their mouth with the power of a million suns, so Oliver Peck just makes me ill with frustration at wanting to reach through my tv to yank his metal stick out of his mouth/lip, wherever it's embedded, it looks so stupid and hillbilly; second, Dave Navarro brings some old rocker pretty for me; Third, not familiar with Chris Nunez before this show, but he's quite hot to me. 

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 1:09 AM

I thought it was pretty obvious as a third-party observer that those weren't real inmates. 

I wasn't particularly impressed with anyone's work. I didn't think the tattoo from the guy who was sent home was as bad as they were saying, though.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 1:42 AM

Man, they were harsh on the cover-ups, weren't they? And I thought Maddie's was the worst tattoo of the night. The castle was just all kinds of wonky and the dragon was completely muddled.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 5:59 AM

Agree w/ the above. The guy who went home - his tattoo wasn't NEARLY as bad as Maddie's! I couldn't even tell what was going on there. At least I knew that was supposed to be a gorilla, funky tongue and all. I never like the judging on this show.

Not sure who I LIKE yet. I wasn't super impressed with anyone.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 6:29 AM

I wasn't really blown away by anyone either. I'm not sure if that's because of the sheer number of contestants right now or if that's because no one did anything really amazing this week.

I hated the bullshit of them claiming that they were letting the contestants go into a prison and tattoo prisoners. That was really lame.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

At least I knew that was supposed to be a gorilla

I guess it was good he went home then, because it was supposed to be a baboon!

:-)

I thought the "being flexible" part of the flash challenge was that they would have to do the tattoo through the bars...that would have been fun!

Question for any tattoo pros out there - the red in all those single needle tattoos - was that blood/bruising? Or part of the tattoo?

Also, the thing with the crybaby and his one machine - is that because you need one for each color you want to use? Or different needle sizes? I know nothing about the actual mechanics of the process.

Edited by eliza422, Jul 17, 2013 @ 9:34 AM.

seric26

seric26

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

Well, we may not know who's good yet, but I was fine with the Hipster Nerd (those glasses can't be real) going home. He tried for shading on that baboon, but he lost all form to do it. Joshua is definitely already the villain of the season.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Dave Navarro brings some old rocker pretty for me

Right? I'm sure he's a walking venereal disease, but damn if he's not ridiculously hot--ridiculous and hot. And since the boys here are lusting after Tatu Baby, I'm happy to say there's plenty of eye candy for the ladies this season. I can't put names to faces yet, but there are many hot tattoo boys. ::sighs, fans self::

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

I actually liked Frank's portfolio quite a bit, and I think he performed better than Maddie, but that baboon was jacked.  It's a shame, because he seems like a talented guy, and it would have been nice to have someone with an American traditional background around for that challenge for a change.  Oh, well.

I don't have much else to say, except that Mystical Mike is a crybaby, and that I hope we get a likable winner this season...but I'm not holding my breath.  This show has conditioned me to expect a douche to take the crown. 

Edited by BiteMeBilly, Jul 17, 2013 @ 3:58 PM.