Season 14 General Gabbery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1041 replies to this topic

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I think that Maks' fanbase probably has the biggest online presence, but Derek tends to always win those "vote for the pros" thingies, and I think he probably has a bigger, more casual, fanbase. I think that Maks' fanbase is probably more devoted, but it wouldn't surprise me if Derek's is more wide-ranging.

Yup, I agree with that. Whenever I talk to casual fans about the show (which, granted, is a pretty small sample set) they almost always mention Derek first and Cheryl second. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest to hear that he has the broadest fan base and greatest recongition among casual fans.

BTW, Midnight Train to Georgia was recorded after GK & the Pips had left Motown, but maybe their Motown hits If I Were Your Woman or Neither One of Us could work for a rumba.

I doubt the show will get that specific, if that David Cook song counts for Rock Week they will certainly you 'Midnight Train' for Motown Week. I loved it when it was used last time.

Zelda Gilroy

Zelda Gilroy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

The woman holding William's son was Elizabeth, the child's mother. There is a paparazzi photo of William and Elizabeth leaving a restaurant holding hands. William wouldn't answer questions though.
Maria must be dying of jealousy that someone got injured while she couldn't manage to hurt her chin!
About theme weeks favoring certain contestants- could be true but Latin week didn't favor William. He had a tango which is very far from his Afro-Carribean culture. Katherine's dance training is in tap and "song and dance," so a Broadway theme would likely suit her better than classical. Motown obviously favors Gladys. They can't send Gladys Knight home for Motown week!

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Melissa and Maks are dancing to "Ooo Baby Baby" by The Miracles this week.

bannana

bannana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

So then maybe William and Cheryl are an item after all. She does call him "baby" all the time.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

Press Release > (ABC) DwtS Season April 23rd Performance and April 24th Results Shows

MONDAY APRIL 23RD
[This week] presents a Motown special with live performances from Motown legends Smokey Robinson, The Temptations and Martha Reeves throughout the evening. The legends kick off the show, performing an unforgettable live Motown medley accompanied by the Troupe. Each artist will perform with the talented "DWTS" band and musical director Harold Wheeler before each of the remaining eight couples begin their competitive dance. During a special performance with dancers Anna Trebunskaya and Val Chmerkovskiy, Smokey Robinson will perform his No.1 hit song, "Tears of a Clown." Human Nature [will be] performing some of Motown's most popular hits throughout the evening. And to finish the show we will feature a special Motown Dance Marathon, where the couples will be showing off their classic dance moves from the Motown era,

TUESDAY APRIL 24TH
Best-selling R&B group of all-time Boyz II Men returns to the ballroom with an incredible performance of their latest single, "One More Dance". Their performance will be accompanied by Dmitry Chaplin and Anna Trebunskaya.

The show will open with an amazing number from the Troupe, Val Chmerkovskiy, Peta Murgatroyd, Louis Van Amstel and Snejana Petrova, featuring a medley of Motown hit songs.

"AT&T's Spotlight Performance" spotlights the beautiful story of Michaela DePrince.

"Macy's Stars of Dance" performance is the long awaited television debut of the hottest new contemporary dance company in America, Shaping Sound. The dance performance is choreographed by and features Travis Wall, Nick Lazzarini and Teddy Forance. The performance is a special preview of the following week's Classical theme with an arrangement recorded by Aston, a classical group from Sydney, Australia.

Edited by ByTheWay, Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:57 PM.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

"Macy's Stars of Dance" performance is the long awaited television debut of the hottest new contemporary dance company in America, Shaping Sound. The dance performance is choreographed by and features Travis Wall, Nick Lazzarini and Teddy Forance. The performance is a special preview of the following week's Classical theme with an arrangement recorded by Aston, a classical group from Sydney, Australia.

I predict lots of angst and flexed feet. If there are girl dancers in the number, add granny panties to that.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

And to finish the show we will feature a special Motown Dance Marathon, where the couples will be showing off their classic dance moves from the Motown era,

So, is the Marathon just a renamed Group Dance, or will it have some point-awarding capability?

There are rumors that this week will be a double elimination week. The Press Release seems clear there will be only one couple leaving, unless you could squeak a double elimination in-between these lines:
The Dance Duel continues, and this week the bottom two couples will dance the Jive to the same song at the same time as the judges decide who the next eliminated couple will be, TUESDAY, APRIL 24.
and:
By Tuesday evening’s end, one couple will be eliminated, as determined by a combination of the judges’ scores and viewers’ votes on dances performed on Monday’s performance show.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

If they intend on doing team dances next week there needs to be 6 couples and if theres only one elimination, it'll be 7. They did 7 couples for team dances on season 9 but it was a mess as the team with 4 couples lost because there was just too many people to be completely in sync.

Plus if they don't do a double elimination at some point, they'll either have 4 couples in the finals, or have to go an extra week to Week 11, which they've only done on season 8.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Well, if the elimination is supposed to be a surprise, I think it's possible they wouldn't mention it in the press release. I guess though I would expect for them to tease a shocking twist if they were planning a surprise elimination. It's all very strange.

I also find the 'Motown Marathon' very strange. Since when are our pros experts in Motown? Gladys might be the closest thing we have to a professional Motwon dancer on the show. She didn't dance with the Pips, but she says she used to learn all of their routines.

The last two marthons turned out to be glorified jives. Hopefully, this will also end up being a familiar style, because I would hate for anyone to leave a ballroom dancing show for not being able to dance Motown.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

With apologies to fans of Jack W, I am feeling very happy about his early elimination because it has been giving me a LOT of great Anna T dancing with other professionals. I couldn't really ask for more! (and welcome back Dmitry!)

Travis Wall has certainly learned how to market himself. I'm happy that we'll get to see Teddy Forance dance. (and I'll enjoy Nick L dancing IF he isn't allowed to talk on screen.)

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

So the order so far is:
1. Maria and Derek
5. Donald and Peta
8. William and Cheryl

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Okay really freaking William and Cheryl going towards the end again? Well let's get ready for a 30 tonight from them. I'm hoping that Katherine and Mark are atleast going 6th or 7th tonight. Also hopefully Maria and Derek don't end up the dance-off for performing first.

Well here's my pre-dance predictions for tonight

Katherine & Mark- Samba: With her Jive Katherine has shown that she can handle the fast, upbeat dances. Hopefully with the right song could definitely keep her back on top. 27-30.

William & Cheryl- Rumba: He did impress me with the Argentine Tango. I think he'll do well with this dance considering the women usually do all the work. I can definitely see Bruno and Carrie Ann getting carried away with this dance. Score: 26-28.

Donald & Petra- Foxtrot: I think this would be a great dance for Donald, Like always I expect his dance to be a crowd pleaser. Score: 25-27.

Maria & Derek- Foxtrot: Derek knows how to choreography some great foxtrot routines. Maria has excelled better with the ballroom dances than Latin. I would say she could possibly get a 10 tonight but she's going first so who knows. Score: 26-28.

Roshon & Chelsie- Rumba: This dance could go one of two ways for him. Hopefully he does well with this dance. He's seems to be relax and fluid with his movement on the ballroom and slower dances. He'll definitely be in the middle of the pack. Score: 25-27.

Jaleel & Kym- Cha-Cha-Cha: This will be the dance to bring him back. After the last couple of weeks of being in the moddle of the back and having to face the dance off I think he'll do well with this. Score: 26-28.

Melissa & Maks- Viennese Waltz: This could finally be the breakthrough dance for Melissa. If she doesn't get lost in the choreography than she will definitely she her highest scores of the season. Score: 25-27.

Gladys & Tristan- Rumba: I had originally thought they were dancing the jive tonight but thank god they are doing the rumba. I think Gladys would be able to bring the sensuality needed for this dance. Also with her not doing any concerts this week would definitely help them. I can see her scoring 23-25.

Motown Marathon Rankings:

1. Roshon & Chelsie
2. Katherine & Mark
3. Donald & Petra
4. Maria & Derek
5. William & Cheryl
6. Jaleel & Kym
7. Gladys & Tristan (She could possibly be higher, we'll see)
8. Melissa & Maks

Edited by Try Again, Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:01 PM.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I've seen Gladys & Tristan listed as doing the jive in a number of places, but don't know where that got its start. I do know they were on one of the entertainment shows (I think it was ET) commenting on Dick Clark's passing, and they were shown rehearsing a rumba.

Isn't jive the Dance Duel dance? Maybe that's where "Gladys is doing the jive" came from -- people assuming she'll have to dance the duel.

Edited by designing1, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:17 AM.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Rumor has it that 'Motown' = chacha for the marathon. Also, Melissa and Maks are dancing 6th.

If there are special guest singers for the evening, I guess that effected the dance order. Also, tonight might be the night you wouldn't want to dance last becasue it leaves less time to prepare for the marathon.

As much as I want someone to break the curse of dancing first, I would kind of like to see the curse stick around this week. Particularly, it would be amazing to see the Maria in a dance off with a better dancer, and watch the judges try and find a way to save their pet, Derek. I doubt I'll be so lucky.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

designing1, I got that information from Wikipedia (not the most reliable source). I'm hoping that she's not doing the Jive tonight, that would definitely not be a good look for her at all.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

The updated list:

1. Maria and Derek
3. Roshon and Chelsie
5. Donald and Peta
6. Melissa and Maks
8. William and Cheryl

Jaleel's dance is actually the Cha-cha-cha not the Quickstep, according to his tweets.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

I think all this has been tweeted or put on a fanbase site:

Dancing first: Maria, Foxtrot, Martha Reeves (Jimmy Mack?)
3rd: Roshon, Rumba, Smokey Robinson
4th: Katherine, Samba
5th: Donald, Foxtrot
6th: Melissa, Viennese Waltz, Smokey Robinson's "Ooh Baby Baby"
8th: William, Rumba

Kym tweeted that she couldn't wait for us to see her and Jaleel's Cha Cha.

People are guessing either Rumba or Jive for Gladys and Tristan. No verification from them on dance or placement.

The Marathon is a Cha Cha - and the Dance Duel dance is Jive.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

The Marathon is a Cha Cha

Has it been established when the Marathon will happen? Are they doing it tonight or on the results show? Anyone know?

Edited by Sunnyheart, Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:03 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

The Marathon dance is tonight at the very end of the night. So, tonight it seems like the pimp spot couple might be a disadvantage because they will only have a few minutes to change and rest.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Okay really freaking William and Cheryl going towards the end again? Well let's get ready for a 30 tonight from them.

For real. I really expect William to get a 30 because Carrie Ann and Bruno are going to be scoring with their body parts. He'll probably to win the marathon, too, since he's one of the pets. Him or Katherine, just so they can get those extra points.

Edited by superfamous, Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:07 PM.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

I don't understand why people are complaining about the marathon being used to fix the results. I don't remember many complaints when it was pulled at the last minute during S12, obviously because Kirstie Alley couldn't handle it.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

According to Derek, there's been a change of plans. Gladys goes first, Maria will go second.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Derek just tweeted that Gladys and Tristan are first up tonight. And Derek confirmed it's a Rumba!

Edited by Elsa, Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:11 PM.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I suppose they'll play off Gladys getting switched to first as some sort of tribute to her since it's Motown week. At least she'll have time to rest up before the marathon. I'm sure the judges will do everything in their power to get her in the bottom 2 tomorrow, though.

alaspata

alaspata

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

For real. I really expect William to get a 30 because Carrie Ann and Bruno are going to be scoring with their body parts.

I think it will be more like 28 or 29 -- Len will not be scoring with his body parts.

Telenovia

Telenovia

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

I am pretty sure I read recently that the woman they keep showing is William's girlfriend, she is usually in the audience.

Her name is Elizabeth Gutierrez, and she is also an actress. They've been on again/off again repeatedly for years and have two children together. I have no idea whether they're on or off now but according to the gossip press, they're pretty supportive of each other whether or not they're currently together.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

ABC didn't really promote the 20/20 Dwts Behind the Scenes Special tonight. I hope fans didn't forget about it being broadcast. I've already gotten a few answers to stuff I've wondered about for years.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:24 PM.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

I have to say that I have been enjoying season 14 a lot. Season 13 was horrible and there was way too much drama going on and it was uncomfortable to watch. This season has been great because everyone wants to be there, is enjoying themselves and the drama has been toned down a bit. I love everyone except for Melissa and Jaleel. Which is pretty big because normally I'm only able to get into 2 or 3 couples per season. I know that William is not the greatest dancer but I'm ok with him sticking around because I have a total girl crush on Cheryl and her not being on the show would seriously bum me out(even though I think she needs a season off). Donald and Peta are adorable as are Gladys and Tristian. Tom Bergeron continues to make me laugh my ass off and I love Bruno still being as crazy as ever. Tonight episode was fun for me and I loved the rehearsal piece for William and for Donald. If Gladys were to win this season I would be fine with that because I love her and Tristan to pieces. I guess I just cant get too upset about this season and the scoring and such because I really just like the cast and even though its in it's 14th season this show is still my favorite reality show.

ETA: I laughed so hard at the fake fire drill during Williams rehearsal bit. Same goes for Toms Golf commentator voice.

Edited by GoldenWoman, Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:39 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:42 AM

From George P's interviews, the week 7 dance assignments so far:

Viennese Waltz: William/Cheryl, Donald/Peta, Jaleel/Kym
Paso Doble: Maria/Derek

Edited by ByTheWay, Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:42 AM.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I don't understand why people are complaining about the marathon being used to fix the results. I don't remember many complaints when it was pulled at the last minute during S12, obviously because Kirstie Alley couldn't handle it.

toonces464, I think Donald's initial tweet was that the marathon would be on the Tuesday results show in addition to the Dance Duel which would give the judges (and producers) ample opportunity to fix the results. In the past, it's always been on the Monday show. Obviously he mis-tweeted and the marathon was on Monday so that makes it kind of a non-issue. I, for one, have never been a fan of the marathon - I believe that the results are predetermined and it always ticks me off.

It's too bad they canceled the marathon in Kirstie's season. I would have sincerely enjoyed watching Kirstie Alley huff and puff her way through the marathon.