Season 14 General Gabbery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1041 replies to this topic

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Looks like the order as of now is:

2. Katherine & Mark
5. Donald & Peta
7. William & Cheryl
8. Roshon & Chelsie
9. Maria & Derek
10. Gavin & Karina

Sucks that Katherine is dancing 2nd. Hopefully she still delivers and gets great scores. Don't know why Gavin is last, as he is the one contestant that is sort of DOA after his back to back weeks in the bottom 2.

Not surprised William is near the end again. TPTB just do not wanna put him even in the middle it seems. Ratings, smatings, the guy has to start getting more variation in the lineup, it's just not fair.

simba12

simba12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

Somehow I think Katherine and her significant performance background -- and highly underrated dance experience-- will be just fine no matter where they place her in the lineup.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

If William is going 7th, I'd say that that counts as going near the middle. He's closer to the middle (positions 5 and 6) than to the end.

The judges will probably be drooling over him regardless, though. Sigh.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

1. Sherri & Val, Tango
2. Katherine & Mark, Paso Doble
3. Jaleel & Kym, Tango
4. Melissa & Maks, Paso Doble
5. Donald & Peta, Paso Doble
6. Gladys & Tristan, Tango
7. William & Cheryl, Jive
8. Roshon & Chelsie, Viennese Waltz
9. Maria & Derek, Tango
10. Gavin & Karina, Tango

I think this is the rest of the order, and dances to be danced.
They are giving Gavin as much of a boost as they can with the pimp spot, although following what is bound to be a strong Tango from Derek will not be easy. Gladys will have the top spot in the second hour.
Sherri appears to be the cannon-fodder.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Somehow I think Katherine and her significant performance background -- and highly underrated dance experience-- will be just fine no matter where they place her in the lineup.

Exactly. Especially since she's done a variation of a Paso before. She's not in any danger. These judges are itching to give her a 30. That's probably going to happen tonight.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Maybe, after awarding the KMark's Paso Doble their first perfect score, those that follow will pale in comparison, and the judges can legitimately award them lower scores?

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

What exactly shows that the judges are itching to give her a perfect score? If anything Len won't because he has consistently marked them a point lower than the other 2 judges.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

Len almost always marks a point lower than Carrie Ann and Bruno. It's nothing new. I swear it's scripted, it's just that expected. Sometimes he deviates, but not very often. Bruno and Carrie-Ann really are gagging to get out the 10 paddles again, they are always quick to whip them out. Be it for Katherine or their pet hunk William--those paddles will re-appear very soon.

scorpia

scorpia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Derek is either working his partners too hard or Maria has some kind of pre-existing condition. Should a healthy woman in her 20's (30's???) be breaking ribs and having stress fractures? These are the kinds of injuries one gets from over exertion. Can she be putting herself throught that much already? Does she have osteoporosis or something?

It all seems very strange to me that she has this many injuries. Amen to everyone who has said she needs to bow out if she is legitimately injured.

JanGator

JanGator

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Brought this from another thread - it's Tom Bergeron's tweet from about an hour ago and it's a bit intriguing:

WTF? Online voting has shifted all night. This one will make your jaws drop. DWTS Results @ 9/8 C on ABC.

I suppose this could mean a couple of different things, depending upon whether they're starting the "dance-off" shenanigans this week or next week. Is he saying the Bottom Two (or at least one couple in the BT) will shock us, or is the elimination already decided?

willmore

willmore

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Obviously she's lacking calcium. Derek hinted that in an interview with afterbuzztv. Maria managed to drop over 40 pounds dieting and exercising.
http://today.msnbc.m...went-size-size/

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

*groan* I hate those kinds of tweets. I would interpret it to mean the B2 is shocking, which to me means Katherine, William, Sherri or maybe Maria must be in the bottom. Maybe Donald, but I'd find that incredible. So, maybe that's true. Oh, who knows. Just not Gladys!

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

I wonder if viewer votes for Jaleel maybe took a nose dive from what they were prior to last week. Between the rumors of the incident with Kym to his ridiculous and odd behavior over the dance, I bet he's losing fans by the droves, whereas I imagine he had a lot of viewer support and votes the first few weeks.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

*groan* I hate those kinds of tweets. I would interpret it to mean the B2 is shocking, which to me means Katherine, William, Sherri or maybe Maria must be in the bottom. Maybe Donald, but I'd find that incredible. So, maybe that's true. Oh, who knows. Just not Gladys!

Fearless prediction: Gladys ain't going anywhere. Firstly, the person with the lowest score being eliminated wouldn't be shocking, it would be predictable, and secondly, Tristan has power-voters on his side. They got Nancy Grace to 5th last season, remember, several times beating the judges' points spread to do so.

I think/hope he means William. Maybe Sherri or Jaleel. Very outside chance it could be Katherine. The overnight online vote shift thing is intruiging, making me think teams with overseas fan bases are involved in that shift... I dunno. Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

JanGator

JanGator

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Fearless prediction: Gladys ain't going anywhere.

Second fearless prediction: Neither is Gavin, if it's a straight-out elimination. Like you said, I'm expecting a "shocker" in the likes of Sherri, Jaleel or William. And that's the order of my preference - Sherri needs to get off my screen now, Jaleel is a tool and William is very rehearsed in his jokes (although he still seems like a decent guy, so I'll take him over the other two). If it's Katherine, I'll be pissed - she's pretty likeable and I've enjoyed her dancing, and she has actually made Mark tolerable this season.

But what I think will happen is they'll have a Bottom Two - one couple will be expected while the other will be one of the surprises. Then they'll have the dance-off and the judges will save the supposedly better of the couples.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

According to the after the show videos, the dance-off starts next week, not this week.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Tristan has power-voters on his side. They got Nancy Grace to 5th last season, remember, several times beating the judges' points spread to do so.

The power and effect of pro's fanbases is always suspect. In this case, it's impossible to prove that Nancy got 5th based on Tristan's fanbase. She's quite popular in her own right and we have no way of knowing how many votes she got or where they came from. However, I do agree based on Tom's tweet that Gladys will stay. The person in last on the judges leaderboard leaving would not be a shock

I suppose this could mean a couple of different things, depending upon whether they're starting the "dance-off" shenanigans this week or next week. Is he saying the Bottom Two (or at least one couple in the BT) will shock us, or is the elimination already decided?

Elimination is already decided. The dance-off starts next week.

My prediction is be Jaleel, Katherine, or Roshon. I'll agree that it's probably anyone but Gladys or Gavin. Melissa's name has been thrown around a lot as a possible elimination, so maybe she's safe too. If it is a perceived front runner who goes home, I'll be very entertained if the judges save twist is introduced a week too late to help.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I would be devastated if Katherine left tonight. I'm just hoping it's either Jaleel or an exaggerated shock like Sherri, Gavin, or Gladys. Even Melissa.

I remember Tom tweeted about a shocking bottom 2 in season 10, when it was Shannen and Pam. Neither would win but I guess it was more shocking that Buzz and Kate avoided the bottom 2.

Now I'm gonna be nervous for the next 5 hours. Great, just freaking great.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Just some thoughts - if Katherine has been doing poorly in the votecount, it would be embarrassing for her to be saved repeatedly in the dance-off, maybe even a sort of humiliation, and so they decided to risk this happening, thus the 24 last night, which is low for her. I'm not sure they'd care about anybody else getting in such a fix - they've announced a real Bottom 2 twice, with Gavin in it, so they sure don't care if his feelings are hurt. But she's a stranger in a strange land - and so lovely and genteel and all that - I'm just thinking it might be her.

She's a bit reserved and posh for American tastes, perhaps? A bit cold? Maria's so down to earth and fun - and her poor bones and Derek's just so beloved etc etc. The guys are all-American, and in a way, would Roshon be "jaw dropping"? I guess Donald or William would but somehow, I think their fanbases are stronger than Katherine's.

But if they're calling Jaleel a "shocker" then I feel I've been fooled - that's no shocker. It's almost a shocker that people are still voting for him in the same numbers they would have, without the bad press, if you ask me. And I don't see how Sherri could be a shocker when she had 2nd lowest scores. That OFTEN happens because being on the very bottom spurs fans to vote more, and it's the next up that gets the axe.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I think in the context of the show, Jaleel is a shocker because he tied for top score on week 1.

To the public and the fans, we know his days are numbered and he did only score 2 points off the bottom.

In all of it, Katherine would be the shock to end all shocks. I'm talking like Sabrina Bryan shocking. Fanbase aside, I don't think we've ever seen the overall leader leave in the 4th week, especially even more so that 6 couples placed below her.

I wonder if her UK fans are voting online. That could help, I'm sure as she's a very big star there.

JanGator

JanGator

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

[Kqtherine]'s a bit reserved and posh for American tastes, perhaps? A bit cold?

Posh maybe, but I don't see her as cold at all. She seems kind of sweet, actually. A girl-next-door, but the British version.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

I get what you're saying, JanGator - and it's even sort of my thinking. It's BECAUSE she's so sweet, that it would be embarrassing not just for her, but for the show and the US in general, to treat such a "lady" that way. Though they sure don't mind being harsh with Miss Knight, a national treasure, for heaven's sake.

But anyway, I've seen some comments elsewhere on the 'net that she's "fake" so I guess that's where I got the "cold" thing from. To Americans, I think, there may be an off-putting effect from someone with such refined manners and posh speech. Even Mel B suffered from being quite different than the "type" we're used to seeing.

Men are judged differently - probably because a pretty big majority of the viewers are female, so sex appeal overcomes "foreignness" and besides, a Latino is hardly a foreigner in the US. But a somewhat prissy Englishwoman (or Welsh - to most of us, it hardly registers that there's a difference.) Everybody else I can sort of see how they'd be ok - and it's VERY interesting that Roshon, Maria, and Donald were all scored higher than Katherine. Hmmm. Rather fishy, it seems to me. Her Paso could have been praised and scored higher - no major problems - they DECIDED to downgrade her, imo, and I think there might be a reason. And yet another reason for the dance-off - maybe to keep Derek in the finals - or because you gotta have at least one female in the finals?

ETA It also occurs to me that they may have tried to roughen up her image a bit with that boxing edit but it didn't work. She may still not have gelled with the American public and thus, a 24 was enough to get her out. Sabrina's storyline is similar. She had extremely high scores and then, on her foxtrot, which was fine, but they picked on some little thing and put her down to 8's and gone she was the next night.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:10 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Man, I really wish Tom didn't tweet that. I'd rather be nervous for an hour during the show then 4 hours leading up to the show.

Hate, hate, hate that shocking eliminations seemed to be always reserved for female stars. Sabrina, Audrina, Lil Kim, Brandy. Can't a man finally be a shocking elimination? We have the perfect candidate. Jaleel White.

I'd be even more sad to lose Katherine a week before the dance offs start. The dance off is supposed to protect the better dancers from leaving and her going tonight basically refutes the whole idea of it.

Last season was supposed to be the season of "bad dancers staying/good dancers leaving early". This season was supposed to be about seeing great dancing overrule all.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

Maybe women always have trouble on this show with votes - and Mark may not be able to sustain a woman with weakish appeal on her own. Kristi and Shawn were far more accessible and beloved by the public, who hardly know Katherine Jenkins. Maks used to say a woman could never win. And a woman with HIM hasn't won, or with anybody else besides the golden boys, and even of those two, only Derek has taken an iffy contestant to the endzone.

Even Chelsea Kane required that awful 15-point bonus thing and I don't think the show has the nerve to pull such a stunt again. (I'm discounting Season 1 because it was just an anomaly with only 6 celebs - and Kelly Monaco being chastized so harshly and crying, etc., was like the little engine that could.)

Shoot, I've talked myself into it being Katherine, lol. But it's probably Jaleel and they want to "manage" his reaction by making it so shocking that such a fabulous wonderful person could possibly be eliminated so soon yada yada.

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

First Tom, now Brooke talking about shocking elimination.
https://twitter.com/...772341188898816

It better not be Katherine.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Tom is the king of wording things a specific way. His tweet never mentioned a shocking elimination. Just that "our jaws will drop."

It could mean so much. Gavin isn't in the bottom 2, or he still is, or someone like William or Katherine hit bottom 2 but still safe. Could mean that "fan favorite" Sherri is eliminated.

Jaleel is still a real possibility. I know Dial Idol means nothing for DWTS, but if you look at the raw numbers which is how many votes each contestant got, the program only put out 1.6K votes. Jaleel only got 28 votes compared to others that got over 100. Could just be a sample size of what the votes look like.

Edited by PBGamer89, Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:28 PM.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

I'm thinking it's Jaleel. While it's not shocking from our point of view, the show for whatever reason has been playing dumb about the drama surrounding him. Surely they know that we know about the rumors, but I can see them playing it as if his elimination is "shocking" because, as far as what they've covered on the show, why would everyone suddenly stop voting for Jaleel and his Mickey Mouse? Yep, I'm going with a faked surprise Jaleel booting.

alaspata

alaspata

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

I think the shocking elimination is William. The judges and the show have portrayed William as this mega-hunk, next coming of Gilles, and was one of the very few to get a 10 in week 3 (besides Katherine). But he really did F up his Jive, and it seems that voters don't like when a star who has been technically good in the past has a bad night, especially if there is no personality to fall back on (see: Chynna).

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

The frau won't let him get eliminated yet.

My gut is telling me Jaleel, but my fears are telling me Katherine. Her off night is still better than most of the contestants out there and she shouldn't be penalized for it.

I'm just really tired of great dancers getting the short end of the stick.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

But he really did F up his Jive, and it seems that voters don't like when a star who has been technically good in the past has a bad night,

To me, it's not so much that he had one bad night, but that the judges were still giving him 7s and even an 8 for that mess while Gladys got a 6 when she did not mess up a very difficult routine. I would like the judges to get a message that their unfairness loses the viewers' support for their pets. I hope that others have as little patience for that kind of blatant favoritism as I do. Not that I'm really hoping so much that William will leave (I really hope it's Sherri), but I don't really care if he stays or goes.

I'm really hoping that Tom's comment can be interpreted as Gavin and Gladys definitely get to stay, because jaws would definitely not drop to have the one who was in the bottom two for the last 2 weeks leaving, or the one with last night's lowest score leaving.