Season 9 Changes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

88 replies to this topic

ggersten

ggersten

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Time to start a thread on the new changes - rumored and actual -
Here's Nigel talking about some things....NIgel on Season 9 Changes and Twitch
If you don't watch, he says no decisions yet - but the dancers will have to prep and dance for a week, so the bottom dancers will still dance for a week - and then the bottom 3 is announced and judges will eliminate based on the prior week, the vote and the current week - and maybe add in a dance for your life.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I chuckled cynically at Nigel saying that he liked how the celebrity guest judges judge performance because he and Mary "can judge technique". I'm amazed to learn this news and look forward to seeing some proof of said hidden talent.

imthatguy

imthatguy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Though the season will undergo changes, it looks like we need to get ready for another glut of contemporary dancers in season 9. He's back to the HH dancers=no formal training nonsense.:

Nigel, SYCYCD NYC auditions

Nigel: "We want the dancers to transfer across all styles....it just works out that contemporary dancers actually are better dancers than hip hop dancers because hip hop dancers only do one style....yada yada."

Quite an odd statement, given how "successful" his contemporary winner was at "transferring over" to hiphop and ballroom.

ggersten

ggersten

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Vegas Baby
So, Nigel says there's a "major major" change coming - one that will make audiences "gasp" and at the same time wonder why this change had not happened before.
Any ideas?

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Yeah, I think he is putting a "spin" on a change to make it seem exciting. What is gasp!worthy to a producer doesn't necessarily translate as the same for us viewers.

He did say he was keeping the group routines and will have guest dancers from time to time, so that is good news.

I liked when Lil C call the auditioners "the litter" (in order for the show to get the pick of the litter). :-)

And Cat Deeley made a great crack about "SYTYCD spawn".

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

With Vegas Week over and the show debuting in a month, does anyone know of a site that has any validity re: who made it through Vegas Week or is the security that much stronger than, say, American Idol (during which the Top 24 is usually available pretty soon after Green Mile).

I actually have vested interest this year LOL. (No, not my kid who has two left feet.)

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

We want the dancers to transfer across all styles....it just works out that contemporary dancers actually are better dancers than hip hop dancers because hip hop dancers only do one style....yada yada.

That is such BS., but I'd expect no less from Nigel.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

So, Nigel says there's a "major major" change coming - one that will make audiences "gasp" and at the same time wonder why this change had not happened before.
Any ideas?

I would love it if that change is "going back to the old stage" (the one they used for seasons 1-5), but fat chance.

AddictedToTV

AddictedToTV

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

Major change?

To me, the only major change that would cause audiences to wonder why it hasn't happened before would be to change the judging system to a more objective system. Yadda yadda yadda the show would be moving a step closer to Dancing With The Stars with an actual numerical system (they could even split it up and give two scores, one for technique and one for performance), but that would be something at least a little bit different and would force the judges to actually critique instead of giving the "it was fun! you are such a cool person!" comments they've been dealing out in recent seasons.

elixir0219

elixir0219

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

http://dance.blogs.f...format-changes/

Looks like we're only getting a top 18.

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Really detailed report on the changes

http://tvline.com/20...-9-two-winners/

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

from above article:

“We’re looking at three or four new choreographers,”

I really hope they are outside the contemporary world. We need better HH choreographers. And different styles! Hopefully Nigel poached a couple from the Canadian edition, now that it's toast.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I guess two winners, one guy and one girl, was the big gasp worthy change he's talking about. I'm still unsure how I feel about this.

AddictedToTV

AddictedToTV

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

If this had been in effect throughout the show's series, we would have had:

Season 1 winners: Nick Lazzarini and Melody Lacayanga (originally 2nd place)
Season 2 winners: Benji Schwimmer and Donyelle Jones (originally 3rd place)
Season 3 winners: Sabra Johnson and Danny Tidwell (originally 2nd place)
Season 4 winners: Joshua Allen and Katee Sheen (originally 3rd place)
Season 5 winners: Jeanine Mason and Brandon Bryant (originally 2nd place)
Season 6 winners: Russell Ferguson and Kathryn McCormick (originally 3rd place)
Season 7 winners: Lauren Froderman and Kent Boyd (originally 2nd place)
Season 8 winners: Melanie Moore and Marko Germar (originally 3rd place)

So, for half of the time, the outcomes would have changed.

I think the change is good. If anything, the contestants who would have been bumped (Travis S2, Twitch S4, Jakob S6, and Sasha S8) still have the prestige of knowing that they're the second best guy/girl.

Edited by AddictedToTV, May 21, 2012 @ 3:31 PM.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I think that it's simplistic to work it out in that manner. The reason is because some seasons they pushed a boy or a girl or a certain style specifically because there was only 1 winner. I think that if they were not aiming to fit an agenda, a lot of those results would have changed.

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

They should have had better prizes for the second place finish from the beginning. It never made sense that everything went to the winner and all of the other people walked away with nothing, especially since the winner doesn't always take it by a landslide. When I think of people like Danny, Brandon, and Sasha walking away without something extra, it annoys me, especially since the show (aka mysterious sponsor) did that one random gift for Katee in Season 4 because she was the top girl. It was bad form to return to winner takes all after that.

Klavier81

Klavier81

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I agree, Tasya. How many times did he say, "It would be nice to have a girl winner" in S3? It would be interesting, with this new system, if the highest placing guy is actually in fourth or fifth place - or vice versa. I don't think the contrast would be that extreme, but it could happen.

Speaking of changes, I have mixed feelings about cutting the results shows. I mean, most of the time I would only watch part of that episode anyway. However, I really liked the group dance(s).
Since they were prerecorded anyway, I wonder if they'll continue doing that so the dancers aren't as worn out. Also, I guess it will be more like S1 when they didn't have quite as drawn out of an elimination sequence.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I think it's about time they had a male and female winner, it's something I've wanted since i started watching. Don't like that they're cutting it down from 20 to 18 though.

goseaward

goseaward

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 6:09 AM

I'm trying to figure out how they're going to do the finale this year. If we have people sticking around a week after they would've been eliminated, it seems like there are three options:

1 - We'll lose four dancers one week (the two who are eliminated at the end, and then two more eliminated before the next show begins)
2 - We'll have six contestants in the finale, only four of whom will actually be eligible to be voted on, which would kill any chance of seeing the last 2 girls and last 2 guys dance together
3 - We'll have a week without voting

Which do people think is most likely?

thebends

thebends

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

I have no idea what they're going to do. I just saw this season's schedule. It's ridiculous. They're actually two episodes short. They should've just started with 16 or 18 instead of 20.

June 27th - Meet the top 20
July 4th - OFF
July 11th - Top 20 perform?
July 18th - Top 20 perform (2 voted off)?
July 25th - Top 18 perform (2 voted off)?
August 1st - OFF
August 8th - OFF
August 15th - Top 16 perform (2 voted off)?
August 22nd - Top 14 perform (2 voted off)?
August 29th - Top 12 perform (2 voted off)?
September 5th - Top 10 perform (2 voted off)?
September 11th (switches to Tuesday) - Top 8 perform (2 voted off)?
September 18th - FINALE (6 left who haven't done their final performances yet)?

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

I thought one of the changes was that they were starting with a top 18 instead of a top 20.

thebends

thebends

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

They should have done that, but I guess they changed their minds. Everyone recently has said top 20. And Travis mentioned working with the top 10 girls.

fiatluxury

fiatluxury

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

and the other thing Nigel said was they are crowning a top boy and top gull, yes? so the 6 at the end makes sense, kind of...but we don't spend much time with the top 10. that's a lot of days off - good for the dancers, maybe. bad for the show?

Xinamarie

Xinamarie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

It is a lot of days off, but not many people will watch on July 4th, and I'd imagine that SYTYCD will not pull much of an audience during the Olympics. So the breaks make sense to me.

Pogo Possum

Pogo Possum

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Another big change this season: it's The Year without an Ashley

Okay, S4 didn't have one, either, but all the rest did. :-)

OrangeGuy63

OrangeGuy63

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Another big change this season: it's The Year without an Ashley

Okay, S4 didn't have one, either, but all the rest did. :-)

And S4 made up for that by having a Chelsie and a Chelsea, and a Courtney and a Kourtni.

The only thing more confusing was SYTYCD Australia S3, which had three girls in the Top 20 named Jess, Jessie, and Jessica.

thebends

thebends

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Now THAT was a mess. RIP SYTYCD Australia. :(

AudyGal0516

AudyGal0516

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 6:10 AM

So I'm assuming we won't get results until the end of the show? Since the dances will already be done for the week, if someone's partner gets voted off at the beginning of the show, that wouldn't work. Correct?

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

I think the dancers find out before they get their new dance (ie: Thursday or Friday after the performance show)...and then the new partners (if there are any) and old get their new dance & we'll see them perform the following Wednesday. Also, I think we'll find out the results at the beginning of the show (possibly pre-taped?).

Edited by OnceSane, Jul 15, 2012 @ 4:07 PM.

AddictedToTV

AddictedToTV

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

I think the dancers find out before they get their new dance (ie: Thursday or Friday after the performance show)...and then the new partners (if there are any) and old get their new dance & we'll see them perform the following Wednesday. Also, I think we'll find out the results at the beginning of the show (possibly pre-taped?).

No, based on what Nigel said:

-The Top 20 couples will perform again. No dancer knows how America voted (because obviously if they did, they may not perform as well as they would have).

-After the partner duets, the judges announce which three guys and three girls placed in the bottom from last weeks vote. They are up for elimination.

-The six dancers will perform solos.

-The judges will take into account their duet last week, their duet this week, and their solo, and will make a decision.

Then, America will vote after the show on the remaining contestants. And once again, next week, all 16 will dance without knowing their fate, the in-danger contestants will then be announced, dance solos, and then the judges will make a decision.

Edited by AddictedToTV, Jul 15, 2012 @ 5:04 PM.