Revolution: Did YOU Say You Want One? I Sure Didn't

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

60 replies to this topic

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Or Alternate Title: Revolution? I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

No snark? I was looking forward to snark. Too boring even for snark?

bannana

bannana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I caught about 4 minutes, Ty what his name doing something about peanut butter on dvds and, shock of all shocks, using baby oil to get those pesky price labels off of the bottom of your brand new casserole dish. Then I saw two sisters with a weight problem who are presumably going to lose weight on the show.

I cannot imagine anyone watching this dreck, but as a lifelong OLTL'er I will admit I am bitter.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Well, let's see. We have Ty "totally annoying always has been always will be" Pennington, two women who equate a creepy pasted on smile with personality, and Tim Gunn - who seems like a lovely man, but really doesn't light up the room with personality. I see no hope.

The two girls who are losing weight, well, they did look nice in their new clothes. But their weight loss (while good and a healthy rate to be losing weight) was not enough yet to make that a huge deal about it.

And the woman who loved/hated her curves?? Oh. My. God. I have never seen such a terrible wardrobe makeover! Her hips looked twice as large as before! The top didn't fit, was much too tight. I, too, believe that larger women can and should wear fitted clothing - but they still need to FIT! Her hair and makeup looked nice, though. I hope they gave her a gift card and not the clothes she had on!

Won't bother again, what were they thinking?

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

I watched about half of it - I felt like I was watching a bad infomercial. I really hated that exercise coach. I'd have walked out during his "motivational" speech to those women ("You're going to die! And let me be over-dramatic about it while you're here, trying to lose weight and exercising!")

To put it succinctly: Blech!

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

The show is all over the place, one segment features basic cleaning tips and then the next folks wanting to lose weight. What a total mess.

ABC might as well call it a day give the time back to the affiliates if this is what they plan on putting on. It's unbelievable that they spent nearly a year tweaking this show and that was the best they could come up with? This is worse than The Chew, at least on that show you can gawk at the yummy looking food.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

And the woman who loved/hated her curves?? Oh. My. God. I have never seen such a terrible wardrobe makeover! Her hips looked twice as large as before! The top didn't fit, was much too tight. I, too, believe that larger women can and should wear fitted clothing - but they still need to FIT! Her hair and makeup looked nice, though. I hope they gave her a gift card and not the clothes she had on!

I thought the woman might be a plant. She had a complete personality change along with hair and make-up. She was also very camera savvy, looking at Tim and then back at the camera. She's probably an on-air person somewhere. Very pretty.

Ty's the one who needs a makeover, some sort of polish. He will always look trashy to me.--rode hard, put away wet. I enjoyed his look and personality when he was a carpenter on HGTV, but his little soul patch is so outdated. Also, he has a microphone and we're watching television. He strains when he tries to "project" and it just turns into yelling with veins popping out on his neck.

I'm embarrassed for Tim Gunn. The two women are nonentities and should just go back to their private lives and professions. The exercise guy can't be real. Tim's a gem on Project Runway and he should leave it at that--other attempts haven't worked out.

weedgrl

weedgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

Canceled, or at least it should be!

whydoiwatchtv

whydoiwatchtv

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

What a terrible show. I haven't watched Ty or Tim's shows and I have no idea who the other people are but I am embarrassed for Tim. He seems so out of place with the rest of these morons.

The exercise guy was making me cringe with his stupid pushing of Ty's legs. As he's doing it he says something like "don't do this unless you are in the right position because you will hurt your lower back." Wonderful advice there! I know a lot about lower back exercises and things that you should not do and he did not explain that correctly. His crappy motivational talk with the sisters was equally cringe worthy.

Just a wreck of a show. We have one person telling you about bad exercises, someone talks over him to tell you about your bad fashion while the last person tells you what color to make your wall. Just ugh.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Ty is aging kind of poorly--he looks rough. He used to be such a young hottie on Trading Spaces. He is not smooth enough to be the main presenter/host.

I am not sure Tim is going to be great at this--when he had his makeover show, I always thought he had a very set style in his head for women and it didn't involve women with weight issues. He is a very nice, encouraging person, but I think his ideal look is that NYC little black dress, classic trench, white shirt and pants look...and I wonder how many women actually dress like that.

Everyone is a little stiff and shiny right now--they will settle in but I am not sure how this long story arc of following people over months is going to work yet. How long ago did they begin filming to have stories ready for the start?

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

The exercise guy was making me cringe with his stupid pushing of Ty's legs. As he's doing it he says something like "don't do this unless you are in the right position because you will hurt your lower back."

I saw this on the first/last time I watched the show. Ty said a couple of times that it was "awkward," and I think he meant the view he had from lying on the floor between the trainer's legs. Perhaps they should change the name of the show to AWKWARD and people would tune in for cringe value.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Why don't they make one big show:

Chewlution

JesseNAngie

JesseNAngie

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I barely made it 10 minutes into this show before I fled in disgust. Do women really need another hour of "experts" telling us everything about us is wrong and we need to change everything about ourselves in order to be happy? I thought women's magazines already cornered that market! rme

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. I meant to record it to check it out yesterday, but forgot, so I did today, and I made it through two segments, and here I am writing about what an utter waste of time and air space it is. Nothing we haven't seen ad nauseum. Nothing that adds to life or knowledge. Oh hey, did you know that bacon bits and crunchy noodles weren't good-for-you salad toppings?!? Yep. Me too. Like King Cat Sam wrote, they could have combined shows and called it "Chewlution". Or they could have called it "Nothing". It would have been more honest.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

It does seem like this show is aimed at fat women, doesn't it? But what is the message? Love yourself (even though you're fat) lose weight (but feel good about your body), emphasize your assets, wear color! (even though you're fat). A weird combination of messages, telling women to both accept themselves and change themselves. You're terrific just the way you are, but here are some ways to improve!

I guess I'm not the target audience. But if I were, I think I'd feel the show was condescending.

And, though the sisters seemed very nice, I'm not convinced that the Biggest Loser/Boot camp approach is the best approach for LASTING change. Didn't we learn from Oprah that losing a lot of weight in a short period of time tends to backfire? Is the show providing weight loss surgery for these women, and just not emphasizing that part of it?

ToukieSmith

ToukieSmith

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

I agree that this show is just an extension of The Chew. It was disjointed and I forced myself to watch it. I like the women who are losing weight and I am looking forward to seeing how they look on Friday (one show day equals one month in real life). I hope they get to wear the clothes that Tim picked out.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

I thought Ty was bordering on homophobic when he wouldn't say anything but, "This is really uncomfortable!" when doing that exercise on the floor with the trainer. We got it - but he kept saying it OVER and OVER again.

Yeah, it's a mess.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

At least with The Chew, you can tell that they probably tape days before the actual airdate or even the day before. Say what you will about The Chew, but the show got much better over time because there's such a short time between the tape date and the actual airshow.

I know someone who went to a Chew taping last week and it was taped a few hours before broadcast. But this format leaves me confused. Based on what I read, this is over a period of 5 MONTHS, condensed into a week. I understand this is about progression over time, but I just don't see the point of this show: it's like smashing together 3-4 reality show concepts into one and hopes that it works.

tantrumette

tantrumette

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Yup, it's like Biggest Loser+What Not to Wear+the original Extreme Makeover+Extreme Makeover Home Ed.+The Doctors+Dr. Phil...did I leave anything out? Let's toss that into this salad too.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Seems what ever daytime show I am watching - 'they are there'

The Chew on The View

The Revolution on The View

Oz on The View

The View on Oz

Revoultion on Oz

So many ways to spin this......Sadly, I'm dizzy.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

I'm kind of surprised this thread wasn't entitled The Revolution Will Be Televised (Except In Llanview, PA).

Seriously, though...if it's really composed of stories/acts taking place over several months, condensing it into five hours or so is certainly doable...but effective? I'm honestly not sure.

lighthouser41

lighthouser41

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

I was so embarrassed for the suave Tim Gunn having to do a bra show that I could not watch.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

The ratings for this show dropped all week from its first show. It also dropped significantly from its lead-in, the Chew and then the ratings increased dramatically for General Hospital. It is also significantly lower than the ratings from the same time last year for One Life to Live.

Cassatt

Cassatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

I watched the show Friday for the first time. I have to say, I got a little verklempt seeing Tim Gunn run up to hug Carla Hall during her first guest segment. It makes me happy that my two favorite Washingtonian ex-Bravo personalities are fond of each other.

I'll keep DVRing it for however long it's on the air just for Tim. I can always fast-forward past the others.

iwunderu

iwunderu

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

I tuned in because I love Tim Gunn on Project Runway. I liked Ty back in his Trading Spaces day before he got so full of himself. Never have liked Extreme Home Makeover.

I wanted to watch the first day and recorded it. I didn't watch all week and then Friday got the opportunity to watch live. I just deleted the episode off of my DVR without watching.

This show brings a whole new level of suckage to TeeVee! I agree with the others that it is a mashup of shows that is all wrong. Add in that mashup The Doctors. They are horrible enough on their own without someone trying to be a low rent version.

I still stand by my suggestion that they would do better to re-air in order AMC and OLTL episodes in those time slots.

DebbieM

DebbieM

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

This show brings a whole new level of suckage to TeeVee!

Well said. I really was willing to give it a chance, but I was horrified at how bad it is. And I don't think there's any way to turn it around. I like Tim Gunn, but this is the wrong setting for him. And none of the others are likeable or interesting. That one woman (not the blonde) annoys me a LOT. For what reason I don't know, but I'm not sticking around to find out. It will be truly shocking if this show doesn't crash and burn within months if not sooner.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I thought the Harris sisters had cured cancer with all the hoopla. Hugging, crying, screaming. I haven't seen that kind of hysteria since the Beatles came to America. Great, they lost weight and got some pretty dresses. Why the hell were the co-hosts peeing themselves with glee? And what IS the deal with the timing? So they knew that the show was a go at least 5 months ago, and starting filming these weight loss segments? I guess they're capitalizing on the popularity of The Biggest Loser, etc. by doing these transformations in a short time.

I think I could enjoy this show with a different panel of hosts. They all sort of bug me - they're not terribly likable people, are they?

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

• Interests:Facebook: Jaclyn Holland-Strauss
    Twitter: JaclynHStrauss or Flirtycatherine
    My website is for those who are interested in blogs on pop culture, religion, philosophy, health, humour, politics, etc. I have polls, information on the Illuminati, tv shows, etc. I also have tips on how to improve your writing, along with tips for how to do better in school. There are also samples of my own writing.I hope you enjoy!

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

Even the name for this show is stupid. The word revolution means returning something to its original state. A makeover is like an anti-revolution.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

And what IS the deal with the timing? So they knew that the show was a go at least 5 months ago, and starting filming these weight loss segments? I guess they're capitalizing on the popularity of The Biggest Loser, etc. by doing these transformations in a short time.

That is confusing, isn't it? It's like Monday, we're introduced to two sisters who are overweight, and five days later they've lost a bunch of weight and are rewarded with new clothes. Five months is a pretty short time to lose that much weight (without surgery), and collapsing it into five DAYS gives a kind of weird message.
They actually started taping this show five months ago, huh? You'd think it would be better.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

Lord love a duck this show is bad. I thought I felt bad about how muzzled Tim has become on PR, but here he just looks outright silly. He's all stiff and blue pinstripe next to 3 non descript tv-host-bots and hyper Ty Pennington. Last week they had him on a treadmill! IN. HIS. SUIT. I cringed for him.

I actually like The Chew. I liked Carla, Mario & Clinton before they were on this show. I'm not the biggest Micheal Symon fan, but he's growing on me and I can tolerate Daphne. Once they stopped cooking at breakneck speed, they gelled as a team and have a certain measure of chemistry. These people on The Revolution wouldn't even be in the same room together if it wasn't for this show. As for their weekly makeover, hasn't this been done to death and run it's course on Extreme Makeovers? I find that portion in particular completely condescending and annoying. This is like some weird hybrid of The Doctor's /The Chew and Extreme Makeover, but it's like someone took the worst parts of each show.

Tim I hope the money is good because it's really starting to feel like you'll sell yourself to the highest bidder.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

This was never going to work, if only because no network needs three versions of the same show. At least The Chew could be viewed as a legitimate spin-off of The View. You have a similar host format, but a focus on food, which is different for daytime TV. Looking at the ratings (which are to be expected), it's certainly not blowing anyone away or touching View/OLTL level, so why add a THIRD show which is only going to dilute the brand even more? And they're stretching themselves so thin to make something interesting happen. It's just hopeless. No way people will view three talk shows with the same format, it's too much.

I think Katie at least has a shot because it's a different type of show to add with their lineup. The smartest move for ABC would've been a lineup of The View, The Chew, Katie and OLTL. It's a varied lineup which would improve it's chances of success and while only one soap is left, I truly believe AMC earned it's cancellation and so has GH. People argue that ABC made decisions to kill those shows, but it didn't stop OLTL from doing well. We also have seen moments of greatness from GH and AMC, I think it was just laziness from the people in charge, especially the Executive Producers of those shows.