7-14: "46 Minutes" 2012.01.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

70 replies to this topic

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

My only hope is that Ted's line of "It wasn't two weeks" means Lily's dad leaves after one week because he realizes he's pissing off his daughter, though I can just about guarantee it won't.

At first I thought this was a hint that Lily's dad, like Marshall's, was going to die unexpectedly within the two weeks.

But since Future Ted says his Lights Out game was a hit, he obviously has more time than that (since he has to develop and market the game and that'd take way longer than two weeks).

Naybob

Naybob

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I'm sorry to see what appears to be a lot of disgruntled former fans. I personally don't find such a hard line between the early seasons and now, Just the usual tonal shifts most series go through by the 6th-7th seasons. It's also pretty normal at that point to feel a kind of fatigue with a show you've been following for it's whole run. It's certainly happened to me with other shows, but I might be more immune with HIMYM because I only started watching last year with syndication.

Many sitcoms get a bit cartoony by the 7th season. More self-referential, doing wilder things with the characters just to keep an element of surprise. They've got some of that going on here, to be sure, but they've stayed more consistent than many shows do by this point.

For what it's worth, the common cry of "when is he ever going to meet the mother already?" coupled with the common feeling that the series is over when that happens, seems contradictory. I thought the show was more about the road to that event, but a lot of people want to put the pedal to the metal and race to get there. I don't feel like they're padding the story out so much as they started it further back than we might have thought. They don't have some the same problems many shows would have by now - losing key cast members and forcing bigger changes to the formula. Look at how M*A*S*H dragged out a real historical event like a war that took less than 2 years and made it last 11 years, and a few major cast changes along the way.

A movie with this same premise would likely be self-contained and get to the finish within 2 hours, but I thought the idea of this show was to really examine the period leading up to the meeting, not the meeting itself. Frankly, that's bound to disappoint many viewers just with the casting alone. I'm happy just to be taking the ride still.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Naybob, I think the problem is that most viewers believe that we would have been introduced to the mother a long time ago, but the creators just want to prolong the story. We understand the premise, but it seems as if we are being toyed with.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Which is fine with me since all of last season was about him being an architect and of course, Zoe.

Except that would seem to imply, at least to me, that GNB Tower, a huge modern skyscraper in Manhattan actually went up in less than a year. Otherwise why is Ted not involved with the construction?

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Hopefully, we'll meet her before Ted does, because I really think it's Barney's half sister Carly, in which case maybe Barney's wife will ask her to be a part of her bridal party.

I'm not so sure about this. I think the Mother has to get to Barney's wedding somehow through Cindy (the Mother's roomate, played by Rachel Bilson). Otherwise I think it would just seem like way too big of a coincidence that Ted was dating his future wife's roomate

carrier76

carrier76

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

Am I insane? What happened to Robin saying she's pregnant? I'm wondering if our DVR failed to tape an episode or something. I remember that episode, when Robin tells Barney, "I'm pregnant!" and it was never referenced again--unless we missed an episode. So confused!

ETA--never mind. Recaps are helpful!

Topic: this show was boring as hell. Except the Russian stuff.

Edited by carrier76, Jan 28, 2012 @ 12:12 PM.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Topic: this show was boring as hell. Except the Russian stuff.

Your last sentence was so random and hilarious. :D

etagloh

etagloh

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

Then they just shit all over that by making him hang around the house and annoy the hell out of Lily and Marshall.

Yep. It's one part pure generic formula (annoying parent) and one part backing the HIMYM truck over six seasons, where the one-dimensional characters (Mickey this time, Sandy last) clearly have more value to the writers than the ones that the show has supposedly invested in, and as a result, the ensemble reverts to caricature. I watched this and 'Tailgate' together -- and mostly liked 'Tailgate' (a Bays/Thomas credit) but this one (Gregor/Mand, hired in 2010, and who did 'Legendaddy') was just woeful.

tracyb

tracyb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

I'm with NYGAL -- I've always hated Chris Elliott and his work on this show is no exception.

I always figured that his success was due to the fact that his father was a genius. However, that doesn't really work very well with children of other geniuses.

Never been a fan either. But his daughter is funny on SNL. Maybe it skips a generation, like diabetes.

Did anyone else wonder why Lily & Marshall didn't set up their bed in the Master Bedroom rather than her dad's old room?

Yes. Very much.

Edited by tracyb, Feb 6, 2012 @ 2:33 PM.

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I really don't get all the Chris Elliot hate but I guess he's someone you either love or hate. Personally, I thought that "Get a Life" was a work of genius, way ahead of its time (for example, "South Park" borrowed a lot from it) and much like the original "Star Trek", too good for TV, or at least, the TV of the time. Also, believe it or not, at the beginning, it actually used to beat "Seinfeld" in the ratings.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I can see why people dislike Chris Elliot, but I'm pretty neutral on him. I've enjoyed him in something things; in HIMYM I could take him or leave him. I agree that he's kind of "creepy", but he owns that, and for better or worse I think it's part of the reason why he gets roles.

In fact his character on HIMYM could be a more grown-up version of his character on Everybody Loves Raymond