Boardwalk DVDs and Other Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4 replies to this topic

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Not sure where to put this, so maybe here? I received my long, long overdue backorder of the BE S1 DVD yesterday- anyone else interested to discuss it? Frankly for starters, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the extras after all that wait time. YMMV.

Edited by Boisvert 8, Jan 14, 2012 @ 3:47 PM.

clancy25

clancy25

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I have the Blue-Ray version and I've only gone through the first two episodes but I'm happy with it so far. Part of that is just being able to go back and watch the episodes with the hindsight of season 2- like the Sopranos and Mad Men you really can start piecing things together from episode to episode/season to season.

There is an interactive episode feature for each episode on the Blue-Ray version that I don't think is on the DVD version. It's similar to what they did on the Rome DVD's (information text and video pop-ups on the history of the period and production info) which is pretty impressive. This feature could make an impact on your opinions if it's not on the DVD version.

I haven't really gotten too deep into the set yet- like I said, just the first two episodes and just the interactive episode feature for the pilot episode so far. Between the regular episode, the interactive feature on each episode, and audio commentaries on 6 of 12 episodes, I could watch each one 2-3 times.

I haven't gotten to the extras, but from the descriptions of them I think they are essentially features that ran on TV in the run-up to the show's premiere. Not necessarily bad, but not new either. I will say though i've gone through the Character Dossier feature on the first disc- I did think it was a nice feature and interested to see how it expands on the remaining discs.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 15, 2012 @ 8:52 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

The character dossiers are great, but the text is a bit too small, and I have to sit a bit closer to the TV than usual to comfortably read it.

Also, the enhanced viewing has a ton of great stuff, but I wish there were less interviews about how awesome everything and everyone on the show is; that gets old really fast. Also, I groan each time Terrance Winter pops up to explain the perfectly obvious about what's going on in different characters' heads.

Ishan

Ishan

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Is there a feature that shows Stuhlbarg and Piazza going to New York speakeasies? Or is that only on the Blu-Ray?

Jesse

Jesse

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 3:13 AM

I haven't gotten to the extras, but from the descriptions of them I think they are essentially features that ran on TV in the run-up to the show's premiere. http://www.frou.info/g.php