S9 - Sarah Grueneberg

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

53 replies to this topic

stinkytofu

stinkytofu

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

Sara is one of the most fake people to compete on Top Chef. I am hard pressed to think of recent cheftestants as fake as she is.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

I cannot decide if it is how she is or how she is portrayed but she comes off as too f*****g stupid, immature and nasty to get excited about her winning so I am hoping Paul takes it all. Sarah shippers need to tell us what is good about her now!

estellasmom

estellasmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Guess what, Sarah? You may have thought that you deserved to win, and the judges made a mistake, but they obviously didn't agree with your entitlement. Along with a vast majority of viewers, might I add. Something like 88 percent, I believe? Please take your fake, bitchy, entitled, mean-girl persona and never invade my TV with your presence again, okay?

sloper96

sloper96

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

Sarah dropped out of high school to start working in kitchens? That explains a lot. People need to stay in school.

So evident that this girl needs to educate herself, grow up and mature as a human being. And not just as a chef.

Smudge

Smudge

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Sarah shippers need to tell us what is good about her now!

Well, Sarah can cook, on a show that is supposedly all about the food, that is an advantage.

Still, I believe that her personality just flat doesn't work on TV, I don't believe she did herself or Tony any big favors with her behavior on the show, and possibly even damaged herself.

It will be interesting to see the post-show spin on her.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I don't believe she did herself or Tony any big favors with her behavior on the show, and possibly even damaged herself.

From today's Chicago Tribune:

But second place on "Top Chef" is no consolation prize. Business at Spiaggia is up nearly 15 percent since the show began in November, said chef/partner Tony Mantuano.

Spiaggia Viewing Party

May be spin, may be any publicity is good publicity.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I have a friend who is doing a mentorship at Spiaggia in preparation for pastry school, and every sous chef, line cook, prep cook, and dishwasher say that she's tough but fair in the kitchen, and a friendly and amiable person to work with.

However, I would agree that she did not come across well on television. It will be interesting to find out more as my friend is there longer!!

seawolff

seawolff

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I have tried to remain silent about her but - ! She totally deserved getting the bozo prize chef for picking his dish over one she liked better. Because she thought it was a message from Heather?! Stupid! If it was made by Heather and wasn't awesome why would you pick it?

Edited by seawolff, Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

However, I would agree that she did not come across well on television. It will be interesting to find out more as my friend is there longer!!

Sort of a "grassy knoll-ish" theory, but....I wonder if the producers went to her and said "look, we want a villain on the show. You've got some aspects of your personality we want you to play up and take over the top in terms of abrasiveness and meaness. In return, we can promise you a lot of camera time"

I can't believe the portrait of her on the show is purely negative editing, but I also find it hard to believe she is as bad as she appears on the show, given what you hear about everyone's professional opinion of her.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Sarah dropped out of high school to start working in kitchens? That explains a lot. People need to stay in school.

How does it explain anything?

Sarah's a bad person because she's a high school drop out?

In contrast to Paul, the ex-drug dealer?

sloper96

sloper96

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I think it exlains her immaturity and some of her ignorant comments. I don't know if Paul still uses drugs. It wasn't part of the show. Her immaturity/ignorance was.

LizaJane

LizaJane

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

What's so strange to me is that as much as I like Paul, I like Sarah too. She seems engaging to me, and I never found her to be fake. I cringed when she was nagging Bev, but I do think that some people are just difficult to work with/around and that Bev may be one of those. That gets you in a closed loop, especially in a hothouse environment like this show.

But: basically, I like her and I find her appealing. My take on her is just so different from most of the others in the thread that it feels like I'm in an alternative universe. I think Paul definitely deserved the win, but I was really glad to see her do well. Couldn't've eaten either meal, though. I don't do: eggs, seafood, or veal. Top Chef food is not for me!

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I'll take the ex-drug dealer Paul over the high school drop-out Sarah any day. Hands down.

smoky

smoky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

After watching this season, I know would NOT want to work for sarah.

Rubygal

Rubygal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

I have worked with people who are a problem within the Department, but other employees, who didn't work with them, didn't know that and thought they were not being treated right. The staff of Top Chef paired Bev with the bullies, twice. Once with Heather, and for RW. It didn't have to be boys against girls. Bev and the meanies were both set up for the sake of "good" television. That is equally rotten to both sides. If someone is trying to win a tough competition, it is stacking the deck against them.

If Sarah's fellow workers think she is O.K., that means a lot to me. She did very well with Tyler, who was definitely a weak link. Paul had such a good track record over the season that it probably would not have been possible to beat him It sounds like she did a great job.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:49 AM

I feel better that her coworkers reportedly like/or respect her as their leader. She treated Tyler like the village idiot and he sort of acted like he was. While Sarah's treatment of him and Bev was hard to watch at times, I did try to remember that in a real busy kitchen, there would not be time for Bev's lack of awareness that she was not working alone or for Tyler's constant questions and poor knife work and butchering. I wonder if Tyler would have lasted for one night in Sarah's or any chef's kitchen if he acted like he did on Top Chef-clueless and incompetent. I still like Bev a little better than Sarah (tv did her no favors) but I wonder if Sarah or another chef would have kicked her off the line if she started working in the middle of their space in a real restaurant on a busy night.
I am anxious to see how everyone but especially Sarah comes off tonight at the reunion.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

From redfin: Sarah is sorry that she's coming off so badly but not sorry for the way she behaved.

Yes, yes, yes. I live in Chicago and so I expected to root FOR Sarah and Heather and Chris Jones. By the end of this show, however, there are no words for how little I care about these two girls. Sarah's crying because she never said or did the things she's on camera saying and doing? The woman is denying things that things happened while we're watching them happen in front of all of us. I understand about editing creating certain biases, but this kind of denial is ridiculous. "I never said that." Millions of people just saw and heard you say that! Then carrying denial into absurdity and beyond: she flat out denied telling Emeril to F off. Tom Colicchio just shook his head and looked amazed and embarassed -- obviously, it DID happen, and then Emeril speaks up to make it clear that it did happen. She still keeps denying, but morphs her denial into this: I didn't do it, but if I did do it I didn't mean it, and if I did mean it it's only because I was under such pressure and because Emeril has been hard on me all season. WTF? This is the wifebeater defense, ladies and gentlemen.

Captains Log

Captains Log

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

If Sarah's fellow workers think she is O.K., that means a lot to me.

I feel better that her coworkers reportedly like/or respect her as their leader.

IMO I wouldn't look to Sarah's subordinates for an honest assessment of her character. The way she is, she would surely retaliate in the most petty and hurtful way to anyone who said anything negative about her that she had any control over.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

It does seem like she wanted to deny saying it, but then realized that it might be on video and she was about to get caught with her pants down. Then she started crying to distract everyone from what she actually did.

anacara

anacara

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

When Andy first asked if she had told a judge to eff off, I thought he was, I don't know, not making it up exactly, but had somehow taken a "leave me alone!" and turned it into that.

And then Sarah went on her "no, I didn't!"

And they showed Tom's reaction face.

And then Sarah continued with "I don't remember doing it! I wouldn't do it! This is so mean! I love you, Emeril! You're my cooking idol!"

And Emeril, whom I never really liked until this show, was just lovely and told her that he loved her food.

Yeah. I believe she said it. I can understand how she might have said that to Emeril on that night, because she must have been exhausted and she must have been crushed, but to not own up to it and just flat out say, "Chef, I am so sorry I behaved like an ass. I was exhausted and stressed and just so hugely disappointed but that in no way excuses that coming out of my mouth"? Actually, she should have apologized as soon as she had a chance to gather herself.

Edited by anacara, Mar 9, 2012 @ 7:49 AM.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:26 AM

Chef, I am so sorry I behaved like an ass. I was exhausted and stressed and just so hugely disappointed but that in no way excuses that coming out of my mouth"?

Just like Ed did when they brought up his behavior toward Sarah during the BBQ challenge. Own it! Say you are sorry! Move on!

tuckerwolf

tuckerwolf

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

I was annoyed when Sarah basically accused Bev of tripping her on the ski slopes... Bev was trying to get out of the way and she didn't know how to ski around her as she was struggling to get up. It's not her fault that Sarah was poor at this sport.

I was amused that Bev did better at shooting even though Sarah was bragging about how she had actual experiences with guns (this is karma :))

This may be the editting of the show, but I doubt it based on past behaviors, but she rolled her eyes at the JT whenever Bev got a compliment and smiled whenever Bev got critized. Such poor sportsmanship with this and all her other behaviors- she only apologizes because people don't like her for it, if people were not upset at her cruelty then she would gloat about all the mean things she had done.
And Bev probably knows she's not genuine with her apology, but just wants to move on from it, because even with Bev's lack of certain social skills, Sarah's acting and attitude is very apparent.

Giving Bev grief about the blender incident even though Bev was about to move and you told her it was ok? Everything is recorded, being contradictory is going to get picked up on.

I am so glad that Paul beat her (yes, she's a good chef, but I am glad there was someone better)

While Tyler is an ass- and she did do well with talking to him and about him TO HIS FACE, but why would she talk about him behind his back when you know he's going to hear about it on national television later. It just seems stupid. She could have said "Since my other sous chefs are more experienced, I want Tyler to do some of the more precise stuff and still be involved." Honest about not liking his lack of experience, but not bitchy. How does she forget that these episodes are aired?

I really wonder if at her restaurant she smack talks about employees she doesn't like, but because of the lack of camera's she's not caught. Or if she passive aggressively bullies whoever doesn't fit her mold into leaving.

Edited by tuckerwolf, Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:58 AM.

tuckerwolf

tuckerwolf

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

And she thinks she's the queen of Italian food just because she went over there for a little while- every time italian food's in the mix she thinks she has it in the bag- and gets offended each time her rissotto is called out for being undercooked- don't you know judges? She's the expert.

And calling Bev unoriginal for her use of asian style? How many times has Sarah done something italian- specifically, ravioli, risotto, or sausage (ok, not specifically italian, but she does it a few times on the show) Way more redundant than short ribs (which actually got good reviews)

AriAU

AriAU

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

I was at baggage claim at O'Hare Airport recently and saw Tony Mantuano. I walked over to get an autograph for my son and I told him that, like good Chicagoans, we were pulling for Sarah (a little white lie when trying to get an autograph is ok, right). he was very friendly and gracious and he thanked me for saying that and then said,"If you wait here a minute you will meet her" and sure enough she and the rest of their group walked up behind us-they had been in NY at some cooking demonstration. She was very nice and also signed for my son.
First of all, she is pretty short, especially next to Tony, who is a big guy. 2nd of all, she was very polite and friendly, altho not as friendly as Tony, who talked to us for awhile. Lastly, I don't think any of this stuff hurt her relationship with Tony at all based on what I saw.