S9 - Sarah Grueneberg

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

53 replies to this topic

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

How has she not has a thread before now - am I just not seeing it?

I know there was a lot of back and forth last week (BBQ wars) about whether or not Sarah was an outright bitch or simply suffering an illness and being mistreated. It also seems that this week that same type of behavior has continued, with no illness to blame it on. Now, with plenty of time for introspection, she's Tweeting about how much she loves Beverly and the shortribs, but also re-tweeting other people complaining that Beverly won and/or blaming Beverly for ruining Lindsay's dish.

What I wanted to start this for was the ongoing conversation in this week's epi thread that goes back to referencing the crying for her grandparents, and the crying over sausage, and Keith's lower GI via bus, and the screaming at Lindsay while being a complete bitch to Beverly, too. Is she self-destructing from the pressure, or is this just a special snowflake melting in a non-coddling environment? She was a bit overshadowed during the first half of the season, but in retrospect, she got plenty of drama-centric camera time despite not being the center of the A plot each week.

She seems to have the same disconnect we've seen before this season, where the horrible things coming directly out of her mouth, unedited, in sync with her lip movement as she says it, are still somehow a "trick of editing".

Additional links for her:
Facebook (shocker, Heather is top of the friends list when I clicked)
Spiaggia

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Beverly, my olives...

Beverly... Beverly... Beverly...

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Never thought I'd say this, but...

Worse than Heather.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

I think she has some of the best credentials among this season's cheftestants but man she and the editing monkeys are making her very unsympathetic even when her food is good. Additionally, she is doing some interesting things with Italian food but as said by many not doing anything else very much.

softshoes

softshoes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Beverly, my olives...

Beverly... Beverly... Beverly...

Coke meet keyboard. Well done!

DoxieMama

DoxieMama

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Sarah is so condescending when she's being a bitch, and fake such as when she was giving Lindsey completely undeserved praise. That's worse to me than Heather's bullying style.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

What an unpleasant person.

Never thought I'd say this, but...

Worse than Heather.

I think she absorbed Heather and became her.

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Now, with plenty of time for introspection, she's Tweeting about how much she loves Beverly and the shortribs, but also re-tweeting other people complaining that Beverly won and/or blaming Beverly for ruining Lindsay's dish.

Yeah, I think that's the Twitter version of the non-apologetic apology. Sarah is sorry that she's coming off so badly but not sorry for the way she behaved.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Sarah: over-react much?
I swear once a week I see SG with a wildly OTT expression/reaction.
for example in week9 after the QF, Padma announces that...surprise! This week were gonna cook Texas...BBQ!!!
The expression Sarah has on her face after that announcement is usually seen only on an airport tarmac, when one's spouse has returned from an overseas tour of duty in the military.

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

from Beverly's thread

I would also be interested to know what Tony Mantuano and Michelle Bernstein think too. On her twitter Sarah posted (or whatever it's called on Twitter -I'm old) " Those who mind don't count, those who count don't mind." I would really love to know the truth, because this season is just too manipulated for my viewing enjoyment, (how dare they!)

What if Tony Mantuano ran into an old buddy in Chicago. They began discussing Top Chef:

TM: I'm so upset with Sarah - she's being mean to Beverly. I think I will fire her.
OB: I had to work with Beverly. Poor Sarah. Beverly is not a team player, and she's really slow.
TM: Oh good, then I won't fire Sarah.

It would be very presumptuous of Sarah to speak for Tony Mantuano. So I wouldn't assume that her re-tweeting something means Tony doesn't mind how she behaved. Sarah did send Tony a tweet reminding him that he knows the "real" her. That looked like damage control, to me.

As far as Beverly is concerned, I doubt Tony gives a rat's ass about her. Why should he? Beverly isn't his chef, Sarah is. And Sarah is looking foolish on national TV. That puts Tony in an awkward position.

It's not hard imagining a hypothetical situation to illustrate that. What if Tony was hosting viewing parties for TC:TX. Spiaggia hosted viewing parties when Tony was on TCM, so it wouldn't be unusual if they did the same for Sarah and TC:TX.

Just imagine Tony Mantuano mingling with his guests as Sarah backstabs a chef at the very first JT.
Or Tony chitchatting with his guests as Sarah has a screaming & crying fit over sausage.
Or Tony smiling at his guests as Sarah conveniently relapses & abandons her BBQ team for the second time.
Or Tony toasting his guests as Sarah talks to her RW teammates in a condescending sing-songy voice.

I don't expect Tony Mantuano to fire Sarah, but she hasn't represented herself - or Tony - well at all.

Rubygal

Rubygal

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I was trying to be funny.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

I don't expect Tony Mantuano to fire Sarah, but she hasn't represented herself - or Tony - well at all.

Yea i sincerely doubt anything you see on Top Chef would really impact somebody's employment in real life. I just wish some of these people would acknowledge that they come across so obnoxiously. It'd go a long way.

Sarah just seems really emotional, and she flies off the handle very easily...I think she confuses good leadership with yelling. She actually appears a very skilled chef but she just pisses me off.

Edited by TryDelta, Jan 16, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I just wish some of these people would acknowledge that they come across so obnoxiously. It'd go a long way.

It would help a lot, but I don't see it happening. They seem to be victim-blaming or editor-blaming, which I think makes them look worse.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.
manners

Cookie Hoarder

Cookie Hoarder

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Yea i sincerely doubt anything you see on Top Chef would really impact somebody's employment in real life. I just wish some of these people would acknowledge that they come across so obnoxiously. It'd go a long way.

It depends on how you define "impact". I agree that it's doubtful that someone would be fired for poor behavior on TC, but if you come across as a horrible person then viewers may decide not to eat at your restaurant or to eat at a nearby competitor's.

I don't think Sarah is anywhere near that level of viewer hatred yet. She hasn't been as bad as Heather, and nobody this season compares to Season 2's crew of bullies.

Maleren

Maleren

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

I agree Heather is a nasty bully and I'm glad she's gone. I can't stand Sarah. With a passion, I cannot stand her. Every time she speaks it's like nails on a chalkboard and the way she looks while talking, the smile like a horse, nothing but gums. I will be so glad when she gets sent home. This is probably the worst season of Top Chef so far. There really is no one likeable on this season. I miss Carla, she is my all time favorite.

anacara

anacara

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Did she really start off the episode saying she thought Lindsay should have won the last challenge? What is her damage?!

ETA

From the episode thread:

I thought that Sarah "undercooked the risotto again!" actually supports her contention that it was not a mistake and she was in facted trained to do risotto that way

Yeah, this is the same as one person's al dente pasta is another's undercooked pasta and where exactly the line is.

I would totally believe that except that from what they've shown, it doesn't appear to have come out the same each time. The first time, the guest judge said it was undercooked. The second time it was great and got her high marks. The third time it was deep fried so who knows how the risotto itself came out. And then in this episode, Tom said it was undercooked. I can't imagine it was really underdone. If it had been, I don't think the lamb hearts would have saved her. They were nitpicking. And that's why I think she probably did undercook it a bit.

Edited by anacara, Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:03 AM.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Sarah absolutely said that Lindsay should have won for RW causing me to wonder what she would say now that all of us have seen Lindsay in the kitchen ragging on Bev while she touched and tasted all the food and guests waited unattended to be seated and for the next course. I do not care how bad Bev was behind the scenes, neither Lindsay or Sarah had their full attention on their own tasks because they were so busy nagging Bev. Instead of going on about Lindsay and Bev, Sarah should be thanking the guys for having worse food.

I do think that Sarah is one of the ones to beat but only if she stops playing mean girl and sticks to cooking-preferably something not Italian in the next few episodes. It is Top Chef not Top Risotto or Top Italian.

disagree

disagree

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

No way on Earth will I go back to Spiaggia while she is chef.

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Sarah hasn't represented Spiaggia very well, has she?

It's a shame because Tony Mantuano is a great chef. But, I can't think of any other cheftestant in TC history who has behaved as childishly as Sarah has. Her bizarre OTT reactions to EVERYTHING. Her sucking up to, then joining in with the bullies. Her blatant pouting & histrionics.

She's behaved like a brat all season long. It's very off-putting.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

I can't stand her. Or her teeth.

Chavin

Chavin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

[No way on Earth will I go back to Spiaggia while she is chef.

Word. And not only at Spiaggie, I wouldn't eat ANYWHERE where she is a chef.

I keep thinking back to Carla Hall who would say that she always tries to infuse her food with love, to share with others as what you eat becomes a part of you.

Contrast that to Sarah and her nasty attitude.
There is no way in hell I want to eat any of her food; I don't care how "amazing" it might be.
There are too many culinary choices out in the world and so many great chefs, that I can easy bypass her.

Every.Single.Time.

Edited by Chavin, Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:38 PM.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Is it wrong that I screamed "YES" every time she slid on her skis and landed on her ass?

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

No, it's not wrong! I did the exact same thing. If it's wrong, I don't want to be right. And I really hopes she falls flat on her face during the finale. Go away already!

Maleren

Maleren

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

And Sarah continues to grate on my last nerve. I can't believe how much I dislike her. She is so annoying. All teeth & gums and whiney, screetchy child voice. Ugh.

Chavin

Chavin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

So, tonight we learn that Sarah only completed her Sophomore year of high school, dropping out during her junior year.

Yea, that sounds about right. She acts likes she is mentally and socially stunted in a 15yr old girl mean-girl mentality.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

Sarah has not gotten a very sympathetic portrayal for someone who made it to final two. I find her hard to like even though she has had a few interesting moments as a chef (not many and way too much reliance on Italian but things like her take on a stuffed cabbage roll were interesting-last night's pasta with frozen block on top less so). I hate the mean girl thing and I do think she is immature for someone who is 30 and has a high end job. Both she and Lindsay seemed less confident than Stephanie all season so I could not root for either (and Stephanie could be snarky too but not outright mean) but Sarah did come off as pretty confident compared to Lindsay in last night's episode so I guess she did earn her spot in the final finale.

anacara

anacara

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I can't believe how much she irks me. I ffwd through all her THs because yeah, she's that annoying to me.

From conception her elimination dish made no sense to me. Frozen mousse melting into a sauce? What? That sounds disgusting. Why would I want a lukewarm dish? Even if her concept had turned out the way she wanted, it wouldn't have worked. Maybe if she had baked the cannelloni longer instead of until the middle was just warm? If the plate had been come with one of those, if you like being able to use your hands, do NOT touch the plate warnings? I don't know. It still sounds like a big fail to me, but that might be because I like my hot food to be hot and not I could feed it to a toddler without blowing on it or waiting it to cool.

estellasmom

estellasmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Ugh. I was hoping since we were finally Bev-free and Sarah liked everyone there she wouldn't bother me this episode. And though we didn't get mean girl, we got big phony-emotion, everything's about me girl. Her pouts and sighs when she was called out on her dish were OTT phony, and it seemed that she knew she wasn't going home. And although she tried to sound sad Lindsay was sent home, she was sending out more of a happy for herself vibe than sad to see Lindsay go one. I can't wait for this season to be over, and we're definitely not watching the finale, even if Paul wins, because I can't stand to see her large face on my TV anymore.

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

I was SO hoping Sarah was going home last night. I even thought the finale would be OK if it was between Paul and Lindsey. But noooo..... I'm with whoever said it upthread, I can't stand to look at Sarah any more. Puleez, just go far away.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

If she wins, she's Hosea 2.0 - there for her plotline instead of her skill.