OH SIT!: Extreme Musical Chairs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

19 replies to this topic

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Premieres Later This Season on The CW

OH SIT! is a fun, high-stakes, high-octane musical chairs competition, in which 20 thrill-seeking daredevils race head to head through five physically demanding, obstacle course-style eliminations as they each compete to claim a chair, to the sounds of a live band. At the end of the hour, only one contestant will be left sitting triumphant to seize the cash prize. A host and premiere date for OH SIT!, as well as more details, will be announced at a later date.

I have a feeling Mario Lopez is going to be the host of this; this seems right up his alley.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Premieres August 15th at 8:00 PM ET

OH SIT!, a fun, high-stakes, high-octane musical chairs competition, kicks off the action on Wednesday, August 15 (8:00-9:00 p.m.). Hosted by Jamie Kennedy (“The Ghost Whisperer”) and actress/television host Jessi Cruickshank (“MTV Live”), OH SIT! will see 12 thrill-seeking daredevils racing head to head through five physically demanding, obstacle course-style eliminations as they each compete to claim a chair, to the sounds of a live band. At the end of the hour, only one contestant will be left sitting triumphant to seize the cash prize. Adding to the fun, Tanika Ray (“Extra”) will be in the trenches with the contestants both on and off the track and will add color commentary from the sidelines as the action unfolds.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

So did anybody watch this last night? I changed channels after about 15 minutes. It's one thing to watch people on an obstacle course, it's something else to watch them pushing and shoving (and hurting) each other. Not my cup of tea. I did think the hosts did a good job, considering what they had to work with.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading (especially mysteries & autobiographies), acting, swimming, listening to music, the Internet

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

I watched it. I liked the hosts but that was about it. Major problems for me were:

1. The crowd is so loud, the band is drowned out.

2. For me, the course is hard to follow.

3. You shouldn't be allowed to physically touch anybody, period. However, I'm ok with manipulating a bridge to make someone fall off.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Before the final round, was it really necessary to have a segment where the band just played a song? In a game show about musical chairs, to have a segment with no chairs is just blatant padding.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

futurechemist, I believe the song that's played without the racing is performed by the featured band, (not the house band "F.O.S."), probably to promote whatever new song they're pushing. Sort of like a performance by a band in the middle of the results show of "American Idol" or "America's Got Talent"...it's just the show's way of getting some recognized names on their program, while giving the musicians a way to plug their newest endeavor.

I agree with Bigwheels1971: there should be no pushing, pulling or hitting of other contestants allowed. Also, I believe if we had an overhead view, the obsticles would be easier to see; as it is now, shoddy and frenetic camera work makes it all but impossible to spot who's ahead in the game. The two Hosts and On The Scene Reporter Lady do appropriately snarky jobs.

Anyone got any idea what the house band's name means? "F O S"... "Oh Sit" must be the last two letters, but the first?

Edited by A Boston Gal, Aug 17, 2012 @ 11:50 AM.

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Anyone got any idea what the house band's name means? "F O S"... "Oh Sit" must be the last two letters, but the first?

Full of Sit?

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! Has to be, marnyh! Better than P.O.S., I suppose...

riding the ho train

riding the ho train

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I was watching because the lady host is Jessi Cruickshank from MTV Canada. She used to host The Hills Aftershow and snark on LC and company. She also did a daily pop culture show with Dan Levy. I miss their chemistry on tv.

This is just like wipeout musical chairs/roller derby.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I watched because of Jessi, too. Unfortunately, she's not enough to make me watch again.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

I was watching because the lady host is Jessi Cruickshank from MTV Canada. She used to host The Hills Aftershow and snark on LC and company. She also did a daily pop culture show with Dan Levy. I miss their chemistry on tv.

This is just like wipeout musical chairs/roller derby.

This is my first experience with her, but I LOVE her.

Jamie Kennedy seems like an unfunny poseur next to her. She's got far better timing and delivery of this ridiculous material than he does. He sounds bored. She fakes being "engaged" by all of this FAR better.

The second episode sold me on this show--even the shoving and fighting. The obstacles ARE kind of too compressed to see what's going on--and the camera angles not great for that either, however. If there's somehow a second season of this I think the solution is to take this outdoors, and make the circle much bigger. Forget the live crowd--Wipeout does just fine without one. Or put them to one side, on raised bleachers or something so they can be further away.

The musicians can stay, that's part of the schtick.

Another tweak I'd do is gender based. The men clearly dominate the women (yes, I know a woman won the 2nd episode but there were odd circumstances with all the rules disqualifications and medical eliminations with male contestants), so fix that by having all male contests and all female ones each alternate episode. Heck, milk that idea further and maybe every few episodes do a theme based show with casting ("Playboy model special", "NFL player special", "Reality Show Stars", etc.) I know some people hate episodes like that, but I think it helps build an audience.

BTW: These musical guests have so far been pretty odd, even if amusing. But they appear to be seriously upping their game with bookings. Jessi tweets:

#onedirection on #ohsit. OMG I just sat myself.

Full of Sit?

Exactly. Per http://blog.muchmusi...-with-much-com/

Edited by Kromm, Aug 27, 2012 @ 3:45 AM.

peanutbunny

peanutbunny

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Just catching this tonight, and am laughing. It's a combination of musical chairs, Temple Run, MXC, and Double Dare. Not too crazy about the pushing/shoving/pulling, but I'm still laughing. The names they give the contestants are pretty funny, as well.

I agree that if they had an overhead cam, it'd be easier to follow. Not sure I'll remember to watch, but I'm laughing tonight.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

It's kind of kitschy and totally ripping off Wipeout with the contestants getting nicknames for the duration. But I kind of wish they'd replace Jamie Kennedy. Dude just sounds so defeated all the time, and every time they cut to him he looks like he's about to kill everyone in the studio and/or himself. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who so clearly doesn't want to be doing his job before.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

Yeah, that seems to be the common theme: its SO noticeable that Jamie K is at best, phoning it in, and at worst, probably needs to go into forced retirement around now. If Jessi C. wasn't bringing it rather fearlessly and completely, then the show would be unwatchable.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who so clearly doesn't want to be doing his job before.

James Franco hosting the Oscars?

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading (especially mysteries & autobiographies), acting, swimming, listening to music, the Internet

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

I'm a bit late to the party but I find the rules to OS confusing. In a recent episode, a female contestant was pushed from the side and she flew off the obsticle and hit the (padded) wall, but still, I was surprised she wasn't hurt more. Yet, the pusher wasn't dinged, even though a rule says an intention to harm gets you booted. I'm not saying that he wanted to hurt her but what did he think would happen?

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

It must be a judgement call on whether or not injury was "intended". Whatever the case, the legal waivers to be on this show must go on for pages.

I wonder if the two hosts do their commentary after the race is run. Think about it: they never address the contestants directly, and you don't see any of the action behind them when they are being filmed. Hmmm....

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

It must be a judgement call on whether or not injury was "intended". Whatever the case, the legal waivers to be on this show must go on for pages.

I wonder if the two hosts do their commentary after the race is run. Think about it: they never address the contestants directly, and you don't see any of the action behind them when they are being filmed. Hmmm....

If you mean "are they doing the same thing as Wipeout", I think, yes. They're a bit less obvious about it though.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I wonder if the two hosts do their commentary after the race is run.

Yep.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

It's baaaaaaack....!

New obsticles, chair island finale lots tougher, new refs, Jessi's now a funny brunette, instead of a funny redhead.