S9 - Grayson Schmitz: Kitchen Literalist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

29 replies to this topic

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Wow no one has a forum on her? One of my favorite contestants.

Loved that she is still in this even though that tool Tyler Stone almost got her eliminated in the first round.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Grayson seems like a class act. Her decency and refusal to belittle the outcast and willingness to stand up to bullies make her someone to root for.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

I absolutely agree...class act and funny as hell. I hope she goes much further in the competition and I really hope she has great success in her career. She seems like good people.

Edited by pennben, Jan 12, 2012 @ 4:29 AM.

GogumaGirl

GogumaGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 3:50 AM

Wow, this thread was made AFTER Restaurant Wars? I guess most of what needed to be said was in the episode threads, but still!

Admittedly, I thought the reason she'd go far in the beginning was because she's pretty gorgeous with her hair down. But after all of these episodes, I feel that she's a genuinely professional (granted, with decent sleep), confident, witty, and talented chef.

I would be perfectly happy to see her win.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by GogumaGirl, Jan 12, 2012 @ 3:51 AM.

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

I do not know if I want to see her win or come close based on her food (great on RW but otherwise middling), but I hope she stays until near the end for her great tv personality-she is very entertaining. I also think she stands up for what she believes without being a bitch like, for instance, Heather, Sarah, and Lindsay; or a shrinking violet like Bev. I think I have to throw her some fan favorite votes.

ClumsyGal

ClumsyGal

Couch Potato

• Interests:I like...stuff

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Grayson is awesome...I've been crushing on her hard since the first episode when she got shafted when that kid butchered the pork loin.

Her comments last week were laugh out loud funny...and she doesn't take any guff from the mean girls who are kicking hapless Bev around.

Last night solidified her status as a cool chick with a ton of talent. She should have won last night and yet she still managed to be happy for Bev.

I would like to see her go all the way.

Easily this seasons most AWESOME chef.

Celsh

Celsh

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I'm betting, based off of the rankings, that Grayson has a high shot of winning Fan Favorite if the people who are padding Malibu Chris' rank die down due to his early elimination.

Rich1230

Rich1230

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

Watching her defend Beverly was like sex in my eyes.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Grayson definitely seems like a sweetheart, and the peach and bacon combo in the salad she made for RW sounded awesome. My initial impression of her was that she seemed a little green, but she's really hung on longer than I expected. I'd love to see her in the F3 with Paul and Ed (or Nyesha if she comes back from Last Chance Kitchen).

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Joining in the Grayson love! I've never been a pavlova fan, but DANG! Greyson's Schaum Torte with Champagne Berries made me hungry. Hope she goes really far.

kfried, she does seem green at times. Actually, I think she might be the youngest chef left, agewise anyway.

ETA: 'cuz I should know how to spell her name!

Edited by redfin4, Jan 13, 2012 @ 3:29 PM.

Betelnut

Betelnut

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

Yes, Grayson showed a lot of integrity during RW. She is a very likable person. But as a chef...I just can't get over the huge slab of meat she put on the plate during the Tribute challenge. That was just..nasty and unimaginative.

ETA: I loved her frog song.

Edited by Betelnut, Jan 13, 2012 @ 7:45 PM.

snake juice

snake juice

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Classy, beautiful, talented, and amazing name. Love, basically.

I just can't get over the huge slab of meat she put on the plate during the Tribute challenge.

I respectfully disagree!

Edited by snake juice, Jan 14, 2012 @ 1:06 PM.

DoxieMama

DoxieMama

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Easily the most likable reality contestant in recent memory! Grayson seems like someone you'd want to kick back and have a beer with. She seems to be showing what she can really do now chef-wise. I do think she's stumbled a few times, but I tend to believe it's a little bit of nerves getting to her. She seemed a little riled up with the mean girl activity this past week and it clearly brought out a competitive edge with her. Go Grayson!

Figgy Glaze

Figgy Glaze

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I have liked Grayson from the very beginning, for many reasons. That being said, I do find her a wee bit odd! Sometimes I think her brain processes things in an unusual way...like when she interpreted the instructions to mean make a dish exactly like one she ate growing up, and she served that huge steak and didn't do anything creative with it. Also, she made the "sex in the mouth" comment to Tom and it seemed like a pretty embarrassing moment, like she did not have the usual filter. Then she sang the entire frog song from camp instead of just a little bit of it to give the idea, like she couldn't stop herself once she got going...then she was cutting blueberries in half while her teammates were yelling at her...I have learned a lot in recent years about people who are highly functional but still somewhere on an autistic spectrum, and I wonder if that is an issue with Grayson.

It does not change my feelings about her, because the seasons that got ruined (2 and 6) did so because no one stood up to the bullies and called them on their cruelty when it was happening. Grayson will do that. She has a lot of integrity. Lindsay was trying to draw her into the anti-Bev camp by complaining about how that overly complicated fish dish turned out, and Grayson was not having it at all.

Edited by Figgy Glaze, Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:21 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I do not believe that Grayson is on an autism spectrum. At all. I find nothing odd about her behavior (ok, the full plate steak was a major screwup). Only Sarah was frustrated on the blueberries, as Grayson wasn't doing what Sarah wanted, Grayson had a specific reason doing so in extracting juices for her dessert; sometimes one is loose with the tongue after pulling an allnighter and says things that are hysterical to them in the moment, and yet might not be 8 hours of sleep later, and the frog song was hysterical! Sometimes I'll sing an old camp song (after a couple of beers) when prompted.

Edited by pennben, Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:07 PM.

whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I gotta agree with pennben on this one. I don't see anything in Grayson's affect or behavior that would indicate anything on the autism spectrum. After the "Sex in the mouth" comment, she rolled her eyes at herself self-humorously and called herself a dummy...she got it, all right, and knew that it was a goofy thing to say. I definitely don't think refusing to screw up her own dish so that she "set up the line" (aka, help Sara with her set up) is an indication of austism.

And, heh, if you're gonna sing that frog song on camera, yeah, I think you have to sing it all the way to the punch line. :D

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

I have liked Grayson from the very beginning, for many reasons. That being said, I do find her a wee bit odd! Sometimes I think her brain processes things in an unusual way...like when she interpreted the instructions to mean make a dish exactly like one she ate growing up, and she served that huge steak and didn't do anything creative with it. Also, she made the "sex in the mouth" comment to Tom and it seemed like a pretty embarrassing moment, like she did not have the usual filter. Then she sang the entire frog song from camp instead of just a little bit of it to give the idea, like she couldn't stop herself once she got going...then she was cutting blueberries in half while her teammates were yelling at her...I have learned a lot in recent years about people who are highly functional but still somewhere on an autistic spectrum, and I wonder if that is an issue with Grayson.

I also do not think Grayson is on an autism spectrum. Her explanation for that was totally reasonable. She said that, I believe it was during the all nighter BBQ challenge, that when she is extremely tired, she has no filter.

If I am correct, the song happened during the interstitial. Where they often show funny things that happen. I thought it was not just funny, but it made me love Grayson even more.

I think the teammates harping about the blueberries, was only Sarah. My guess was that Grayson was going to do it her way, not Sarah's, probably because she knew from experience that it's better that way. Funny how Sarah had no problem with Lindsay's complicated dish, yet wouldn't stop harping about keeping it simple to Grayson, and Beverly. My guess is, she was also just trying to get goad Sarah.

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I don't know about the Autism Spectrum, either. Awesome Spectrum, maybe? LOL! Her 'sex in the mouth' comment was cringey but mostly funny, I think. Tom looked surprised, but he didn't seem offended and her teammates didn't seem too worried about it. Definitely not as bad as accidently foaming a judge.

As for cutting the blueberries instead of helping Sarah, I think it was necessary, even if Sarah didn't think so. There weren't many elements to Grayson's dessert and the champagne soaked berries were a major component. They had to be perfect. Also, I think the berries had to be split, to soak up the champagne faster and sliced berries look better than smashed ones.

Chinchilla Fur

Chinchilla Fur

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Awesome Spectrum, indeed!! I loved watching her call Tom out last night. "Like a MEATBALL? Right."

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I think she's an interesting and watchable person. But as a chef (or even a cook) she leaves a lot to be desired. She seems to go boring a lot (with her FOOD, not herself), and loses the plot a lot.

She gets along with everyone despite that though.

Kind of the opposite of Bev in a way--who's seemingly socially inept but a great cook (don't know how good a CHEF Bev is, since that also involves ordering people around).

Edited by WileyCoyote, Feb 2, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

moved to Beverly's thread

Kind of the opposite of Bev in a way--who's seemingly socially inept but a great cook (don't know how good a CHEF Bev is, since that also involves ordering people around).

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Apropos of nothing - I was startled when she was hugging Chris Moro goodbye to see how gray her roots were. She's only 28! That really is some premature graying.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Leaves with the title intact, I think, of my favorite Top Chef Cheftestant ever (well, unless she wins Last Chance Kitchen).

Real and relatable in a way these reality show people almost never seem to be. I never got the impression for even a second of her whole run on the show that she was being anyone but her real self--this goofy delightful spaz. Who yes--screws up. A LOT.

So in the end, she didn't deserve a finalist position--if this was based on being the best Chef and not likeability. But the fun totally went out of the show, I bet, with her likely departure (other than maybe Ed, who seems to have his moments).

Edited by WileyCoyote, Feb 2, 2012 @ 8:40 PM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

Definitely one of my favorites ever as well. Goofy and good-natured, which is a pretty rare combo in TC. Sorry to see her go, and would really love to see her make it back, but I don't think that's going to happen.

ibmjones

ibmjones

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Two things I found disturbingly hilarious about her.

- She gets more incoherent and vulgar as the season goes on (to the point that almost every other sentence was an expletive).

- She is the first contestant that I remember that manage to get Tom to swear - twice.

aquamarine9

aquamarine9

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

In this dismal, bland season, Grayson was the only highlight. Sorry to see the adorable goofball go.

runningman

runningman

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

Easy-going, funny, goofy, gorgeous, and with personality to burn. Grayson is my pick for fan favorite. Not just of this season, but probably for the entire run of the show. Ahead of Kevin Gillespie and Angelo Sosa.

littledonnie

littledonnie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Sir Mix-A-Lot would appreciate her.

smoky

smoky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I'm surprised Grayson did not win fan favorite. She was all kinds of awesome and entertaining this season.

kat12345

kat12345

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Just saw Grayson on an old episode of Cash Cab. I kept trying to place that familiar look and voice, and finally had to rewind to hear her name. She looked great and won $500 (along with 2 friends).