S24 General Gabbery/Speculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

186 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Discuss non-spoiler information in here, which is any information released by the network or producers. Right now there is very little of that but as we get closer to the premiere, there will be more and more and until we have an episode thread, this is where you can talk about the season in general. NO SPOILERS.

Giesela1000

Giesela1000

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I'll kick it off with general info
S24
Feb 15th
The CBS website's short video says
2 tribes
1 beach - the two tribes live in the same area and have to decide how to run things, like whether to share resources or not
Zero Redemption (this was in text, no commentary so I'm only assuming this means no more redemption island)

It's called: Survivor One World

This from wikipedia - no spoiler
Survivor: One World is the twenty-fourth season of the American CBS competitive reality television series Survivor, which will premiere in February 2012. Unlike previous seasons where tribes lived at separate camp sites, the two tribes will be living at the same camp together.[1] While the concept of two tribes living at the same camp also appeared in Survivor: Thailand, Survivor: Palau, and Survivor: Fiji, this is the first time it was employed at the beginning of the game for an indefinite amount of time.

Reality Blurred has the location, and tribe names as put out by Probst. The only new information Probst offered in the preview was the tribe names: Salani and Manono. While Salani is the name of a village, Manono is the name of an island that’s just off the western shore of Upolo, Samoa’s major island—and more importantly, it’s right next to the show’s base camp and other locations.

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Jan 15, 2012 @ 4:48 PM.
Probst released it means not a spoiler and no tags needed.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

New cast announcement up on CBS' website with a video.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Here is an article on one of the contestants:

http://www2.tboextra...surv-ar-348719/

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Cast slideshow.

I can practically FEEL the complete and utter lack of charisma.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Yay! No more Redemption Island! And no returning players, either.

This seems to be breaking with their previous pattern of straight Survivor in the fall, and then the gimmick season in the spring.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Yay! No more Redemption Island! And no returning players, either.

That really is the best news. I hope they realized both of those were killing the show. I'm actually looking forward to this season.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

I will rearrange the sections this evening. Until then, feel free to discuss cast here.

kjgriffy

kjgriffy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

First thought - Wow thats a young cast! 9 of 16 in thier 20's. That make me a little nervous because I feel game play takes a back seat to showmances and post-Survivor career opportunities with younger players.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Looks like a recent Survivor cast. Hopefully they found some useful people.

Jaen the Glad

Jaen the Glad

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

In the video Jeff says something like "They're all good looking." Young and good looking. Well, a season where they can't vote off all the eye candy, that should please a few!

WolfMarauder

WolfMarauder

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Almost certainly my least favorite cast since Fiji, based on first impressions.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Here is an article on the upcoming season.

Linky

From that article:

The way hidden immunity idols are played will also be different in season 24. This time, there will be two idols hidden at the camp — one for each tribe — but finding your tribe’s idol does not guarantee your safety. Instead, as Probst explains, “When you find the idol, you can’t use it for yourself. You have to give it to someone from the other tribe.”

Different ...

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Greg needs to do some plastic surgery on his moobies.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

If anyone wants to start threads for the individual contestants, feel free.

Paron Xanthis

Paron Xanthis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

The one thing I'm really worried about this season is the challenges, especially since it looks like the tribes will be divided by sex. Will Probst make sure every challenge is man-friendly so he can get as many of his precious alpha-males as he can to the merge? Or will it be more like Amazon and Vanuatu, both of which had mostly gender-neutral challenges prior to the tribal swaps? I'm hoping for the latter, frankly.

skeb

skeb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Nobody named Hantz! I'm in!

baha0007

baha0007

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

The one thing I'm really worried about this season is the challenges, especially since it looks like the tribes will be divided by sex. Will Probst make sure every challenge is man-friendly so he can get as many of his precious alpha-males as he can to the merge? Or will it be more like Amazon and Vanuatu, both of which had mostly gender-neutral challenges prior to the tribal swaps? I'm hoping for the latter, frankly.

I see we are following the men win = rigged, women win = fair and balanced school of thought.

On every single reality show I've ever watched (judged or competitive), Men vs Women always ALWAYS follows the same format.

Host "Its a battle of the sexes !"

Female team <squeals>
2-3 confessionals from Male Team : "Heall yeah ! We gone win every single challenge !"

Female teams wins the first challenge.

Sigh. Who finds this format entertaining really ? Who (other than a few contestants forced to give out soundbites) STILL thinks women cannot beat men in a challenge ? Why are we repeatedly subjected to this idiocy ?

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Why are we repeatedly subjected to this idiocy?

If by "this idiocy", you just mean the "weak little girls can never beat big strong men...oh, but then they do!" routine, I agree. But the gender-segregated seasons have led to some really interesting dynamics, in my opinion. As well as he did with the women too, Chris Daugherty was some kind of savant at stroking male egos, and we'd never have seen that if he hadn't been on a segregated season. If Amazon hadn't been gender-segregated at the start, I might have had to see the "strategic mastermind" Rob Cesternino that everybody else saw, and not the "immature horny idiot who, after some time of being on an all-male tribe, is so excited to finally be around some boobs that he turns into a boob himself" that I did see.

I can't see how this twist affects gameplay in any ways that aren't great.

First thought - Wow thats a young cast! 9 of 16 in thier 20's. That make me a little nervous because I feel game play takes a back seat to showmances and post-Survivor career opportunities with younger players.

For me, the best players tend to be smart men in their 30s---Hatch, Heidik, Kwon, Cole, Daugherty. They're young and in shape enough to either run challenges or provide for the tribe, while being savvy enough about the world to be able to manipulate others, and also to benefit from the Alpha Male stereotypes. Adding in the qualification of "professional" - which describes three of the five above, and maybe four if having sex for money is a profession - and disqualifying the lawyer, because lawyers on this show (Fiji Alex, Andrew Savage) are always dicks, I give you your winner: Michael Jefferson.

Edited by Yogurt Baron, Jan 19, 2012 @ 7:42 PM.

bleacherbum153

bleacherbum153

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

Considering that, almost by default, most of the early boots are women, starting with men vs women guarantees that we will end up at the merge with closer to even numbers by gender than we do in most seasons.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Yogurt Baron - That was my thought as well. Even Russell came close to the same result, if he hadn't been quite so mean to some of the jurors. I liked his interview the best too.

I expect there will be at least one balancing type challenge. They always seemed to do those when its male v. female tribes.

baha0007

baha0007

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

I expect there will be at least one balancing type challenge. They always seemed to do those when its male v. female tribes.

Yup, 'balance beams' will the 'puzzle pieces' of this season, as they are in every men vs women challenge, ever.

Yogurt Baron, I take your point - however my view would be exactly the opposite, in that both Amazon and Vanuatu forced the emergence of the kind of player we never see otherwise - i.e. the woman who has to take charge of her tribe (Deena, Ami) since there isn't a guy to hide behind. Now I know that there have been other women who have played hard - Sophie and Parvati most recently, but their stories were completely subsumed by Coach/Russell.
This however is unlikely to happen on this season, as the tribes living together will probably result in - again - a couple of guys taking charge, and the women comfortably falling into the comfortable 'UTR' role.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 5:18 AM

Well, I for one am pumped. I'm happy to see the Probst-less challenges and am LOLing that he teases that some contestants will fill the annoying host role who says all the things like, "WHOOPS! Looks like he dropped his coconuts!" Whoo hoo and no more Redemption Island (though Jeff says it's not dead-dead boooo).

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Things I like about this season:

No returning contestants!

No Redemption Island!

The two tribes living together. I think this will eliminate situations were the jury ends up "judging" finalists they've only lived with for a week or so.

I'm also very curious about the new HII rules. Does the person who finds the HII have to turn it over to someone on the other tribe (and if so, how soon after they find it), or is more a matter of simply not being allowed to play it yourself or give it to someone on your own tribe?

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

I'm happy to see the Probst-less challenges

I just found out about this. I don't know - it was kind of an awkward, weird mess when they tried it in Samoa.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I'm conflicted about Probst-less challenges. I liked the early season challenges, when he didn't do the bitchy play-by-play. He was still there, though. I'd like to see a return to that. I don't see that happening, though. I don't know if ever he'll let go his love for bitching at women and "lesser" men, so maybe it's for the best.

ManscapeThis

ManscapeThis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Based on that EW story, I'm excited about this season. The changes and twists seem, far more than RI or returning cast members, to be aimed at making the game more interesting without blunting the stakes or giving unfair advantage.

I'm of two minds about the pretty, pretty cast. On one hand...yes, eye candy is nice. Especially in HD. On the other hand...I wish they would cast for personality and smarts primarily, with looks being a more distant priority.

My prediction is that Nina, the ex-cop, goes early. Former law officers don't tend to fare well in this environment; they're really bossy and don't suffer fools easily or patiently. Which means the fools vote them out!

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I just found out about this. I don't know - it was kind of an awkward, weird mess when they tried it in Samoa.

I feel the same way, but I think there's going to be one good thing about them, though - it sounds like they're happening at the camp itself, which pretty much means they're going to have to be inventive ideas in order for players to do them with minimal props. And encouraging new ideas can only be good in the wake of the past few seasons, especially if it means they finally give up on their fucking domino tower/card house challenge crutch. Seriously, the first time we saw it was Gabon, and how many times have we seen it since? At least four, IIRC (Gabon final challenge, HvV immunity, RI duel, SP final episode, possibly Nicaragua but I'm fuzzy there).

If they're going to shamelessly recycle old ideas, they could at least recycle ones we haven't seen so many times. That's part of the reason the hexagonal strategy game worked - yes, it's been present since the first season (remember when Rudy won it?), but we've only seen it a couple of times since (Marquesas loved one visit and Guatemala auction episode are the only other times I can remember).

Edited by SnideAsides, Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 3:21 AM

I think this is going to be a nice return to form in terms of the overall structure of the show. No Redemption Island? Great. Reward Challenges? Great. No Hantzes? Great.

The One World twist seems harmless enough in that once everyone is subjected to it, they have to immediately adapt and nobody will get "screwed" by it. It's better than the other thematic twists in other seasons. The worst case scenario is that nothing different happens, but I think a few people may take the bait and try to use the shared living conditions to their advantage.

Not sold on the young and attractive cast. I'm sure one or two of them are real contenders, but the rest will be "They'll underestimate my intelligence because of my gorgeous looks! I quit!" Stupid sexy cast.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

I watched about 15 minutes of the TV Guide Channel preview, got annoyed, and deleted it from my DVR. Some of the personalities are going to grate, no surprise there. I just couldn't take 45 minutes of listening to Probst sell the season.

I'm also very curious about the new HII rules. Does the person who finds the HII have to turn it over to someone on the other tribe (and if so, how soon after they find it), or is more a matter of simply not being allowed to play it yourself or give it to someone on your own tribe?

Jeff said that if a member of the opposite tribe finds the other tribes immunity idol they have to give it a member of the other tribe before the next tribal council. It could cause some interesting conversations and game play. Do you give it to someone you want to ally with or do you give it to the weakest person on the other tribe to keep them in the game and hinder the other tribe?