Kevin O'Leary's Redemption Inc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16 replies to this topic

Rex Raider

Rex Raider

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Did anyone catch this new Canadian "apprentice" with a twist?
Dragon's Den (And Shark Tank)'s Kevin O'Leary mentors ex-cons (drug dealers, thieves and more...) and offers a chance to win $100,000 towards a business development deal.

I enjoyed the first episode, and really liked the "deal" aspect to the contestant kicked off the show. Take a guaranteed prize and leave, or don't leave and risk not getting anything if you get kicked out again.

It's a shame they damaged the vehicles. Not sure how much of that was made for tv drama.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I watched and think I may get hooked by next week.

I enjoyed the part where Kevin got arrested and had to spend real time in jail. Even though he knew he was going to jail, the police stopped his car and hauled him off giving him the full jail experience. Yikes.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I watched it last night. I really liked that they got real criminals who had actually commited serious crimes and done hard time for them, not like someone who spent a night in jail 10 years ago or someone who was on prohibation. And it showed becuase they were a bit more rough then your typical reality tv contestant.

Also I loved the meeting at the end and I especially loved the exit package which gave the person who got kicked off money for business classes, a new business wardrobe, getting hooked up with a mentor and an electronic bike (and it sounds like each exit package is selected based on the individual). That plus the option to stay to me shows that O'Leary and CBC are actually interested in helping people change their lives and not just running a game show like the apprentice. Although with the option to stay, and some of the other personalities we saw, I get the feeling that we won't be seeing too many more people taking the exit package.

Captains Log

Captains Log

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

Never heard of this show until I found this thread! So excited to check it out! Thanks all! This is why I love TWOP!

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Show of hands, who thinks Ryan fell off whatever wagon he was on?

That was a great episode and I think Kevin was proud of the gang.

PopCultDiva

PopCultDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Ryan fell off and now feels shamed. I know if I said I would fight hard to keep the straight and narrow in such a public manner, as this show, and failed, yeah, I'd be evasive and defensive.

His tone of "you're not my priority" contrasts sharply with the tone of the "team" who are already feeling quite bonded. Mind you, this is a team what could be considered slights are seen a deep betrayal (as evidenced by the reaction to the former corrections officer's "confession").

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I watched it last night. I really liked that they got real criminals who had actually commited serious crimes and done hard time for them, not like someone who spent a night in jail 10 years ago or someone who was on prohibation. And it showed becuase they were a bit more rough then your typical reality tv contestant.

No murderers or rapists, I hope.

I mean I could deal with con men. Or run of the mill thieves. Armed robbery is maybe a lot more iffy, since those folks had to at least be PREPARED to hurt or even kill someone. Drug dealers is a real vague territory depending on what they sold, to whom, and what else what along with it (if they sold to kids for example) Assault... well... again it would have to be situational to how in or out of character it was to them and if substance abuse was involved.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 3:49 AM

No murderers or rapists, I hope.

The bios are here. No rapists or murderers, but there are a few drug traffickers, one armed robber, a thief, a few drug dealers, a couple of women convicted of assault, one guy convicted of securities fraud (who also dealt drugs), and one man who transported illegal weapons. They do seem to be turning over a new leaf, though. (Except maybe Ryan.)

*raises hand*

Edited by The Mad Maple, Feb 1, 2012 @ 3:53 AM.

Captains Log

Captains Log

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Really enjoying this show and this recent episode was the best ever! I love that there's no manufactured drama or producer manipulation, and it genuinely feels like the show and Kevin ACTUALLY do want to help these people! Love love love! More shows like this please!!!!

Yep. Right here. Cya later model-boy!

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

There is only one thing I don't really like about this show. I am not sure if it is because no one at CBC knows how to put together this type of show, or because there isn't really enough conflict, but it has been incredibly obvious in each episode, by about the half way point who is going home.

That's what I figured too. I thought is was hilarious though when they all met with Kevin that everyone else was in professional or at least semi-professional attire and he was wearing short and flip-flops. I also had to laugh a little, even though I probably shouldn't, about how those two guys got seriously injured doing fairly basic soccer exercises.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Ohhh guy didn't take the package. Next week is going to be interesting.

I'm not sure I get the whole "I don't care he was a prison guard but I'm made that he hid it from us" thing they have going on but then, I'm not on reality tv.

Thinking about this more. There is something innately Canadian about this show. 2 contestants get hurt filming the show and they essentially walk it off. If it had been anywhere else in the world they would have been dying and suing production for a million bucks.

Also, they let the contestants go home instead of holing them up at the Royal York or someplace. That is how Ryan fell off the wagon, the weren't under the camera 24/7.

I hope Kevin can get this on a US network since it has the extra twist of the take it or leave it deal but it would lose something with a stricter production (and probably have to bump the prize to a million clear)

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

So, this fell off the radar. I actually wasn't home for the final challenge so I had to look up who won, Alia, and she has her business up and running.

Watching the follow up show. It seems like Kevin really wants all of these people to go far. Laughed at the search for Aaron.

We were right about Ryan falling off his wagon while filming. He says he is working in finance RESPs now, can you do that with a record?

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

So, this fell off the radar. I actually wasn't home for the final challenge so I had to look up who won, Alia, and she has her business up and running.

In the final episode it seemed pretty obvious (like pretty much every other episode) what the outcome was going to be (Alia winning). Her business was the most straight forward, plus it was the one where the 100 grand would easily get it going (buys her a truck and equipment and she can run it out of her home) and the kind of thing where it would be easy to scale it up and expand once it starts getting successful (just hire people and buy more trucks). Plus having lived in Prince George and the local media would love the whole story about how she won a national reality show and she would get ton of free exposure. And the people in the town would love that kind of story, when I lived there it was a few years after the movie Reindeer Games was filmed, and still everyone I met had a story about how they met or saw Ben Affleck one time. Having your driveway plowed by the woman who won Redemption Inc would be something people would talk about.

As far as the other two, Ryan's idea was good, but he wasn't as confident in it, and there was way more risk involved and like Jim said he would probably burn up the money really quick. As for Sam, I am still not really sure what his business was and how it would make money. Plus I am no accountant but I sure there are probably some weird legal rules around spinning a not-for-profit charity into a for profit business.

He says he is working in finance RESPs now, can you do that with a record?

It doesn't surprise me that much. I mean basically he is probably just pimping out mutual funds for one of the major investment companies. My wife was looking for work a few years ago, and she got a call from one of those places and they will hire anyone, give you training, then you are pretty much an independant contractor working on your own signing up people and making commissions. What surprised me more was the fact that someone who has a record was allowed to own a pawn shop. It seems like the opportunity for illegal activities there (buying/selling stolen goods) would be higher there.

Laughed at the search for Aaron.

That was funny. The thing that surprised me though was that the Leslie guy did not participate. I would think that the terms of their contract would have required them to be available for a follow-up show. Speaking of which I do wonder if there will be another season and if so will it be like the difference between the first season of Survivor and subsequent seasons, where now people know how to play the game and there will be more actual gameplay (donít take risks, donít screw up obvious stuff, show up).

kbdid

kbdid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

http://www.thestar.c...rime-spree?bn=1

not good

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

And the show did so much for him, way beyond anything they did for the others besides Alia.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I just finished watching this series on the CBC website. I really wanted to like it, but I just found that these ex-cons (or current cons in at least one case) irritated me. They just had such an attitude, like the world owed them something. They reminded me of a bunch of children. And I don't recall one of them expressing any true remorse for any of their crimes. The woman who won spent all of her air time making excuses for what she did, like that makes it all okay. What a horrible representation of Canada!

cjames

cjames

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

http://www.thestar.c...rime-spree?bn=1

not good

I didn't see what everyone else saw in Brian. He could talk his way through things but when he had trouble in the individual challenges because he couldn't think of himself it was obvious to me that he couldn't run a business. He also came across to me as a bit of a loser. A nice guy, sure, but with serious self-confidence problems and not too much in the way of smarts (either street- or book-smarts).

Getting drunk out of his mind and breaking into cars and houses was a stupid thing to do. Since he was supposed to start work the following Monday, I'm guessing that he went out for farewell drinks on the weekend which he couldn't handle. If I was the person who'd hired him there's no way that I'd want him coming to work for me after that ridiculous behaviour. In my mind, he's already had his second chance and I wouldn't be inclined to give him more chances. After all, how would his employer know that he wouldn't do something this stupid again?