Touch: But Can He Play Pinball?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

313 replies to this topic

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

stupid. Most everything is absurd in this thing but the plane crash miracle was just the thing to push me over.

I have no problem suspending belief in an excellent show like Fringe, but this ain't Fringe and there's just nothing holding this mess together for me. KS sounds inexplicably breathless every moment and so earnest, it is cloying.

A little humor people! Another thing Fringe does so well - heart and humor and thrilling stories.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

I've been trying to stick with this show hoping it would get better but then I kept fast-forwarding through scenes and I realized that I was dreading watching it so I guess I'm out.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

The Last Straw

I'm on the verge of bailing, too. I will probably watch next week to see how the custody thing works out, but I've lost interest in the rest of the gibberish.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

LOL, I didn't even make it to that point in the episode. I have found that in order to watch this show I have to do it in parts, and I only watched the first 12 minutes this time.

That was definitely a huge rip-off, though. I got to the Amelia numbers and started thinking, "man, this reminds me of Lost." And then that shot...wow.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I kind of figure if the Twop topic has no posts after the show airs, the show is not going to make it.

It's too bad. With all it's problems, I really like the show. I will be disappointed when they cancel it. I

My same negative comments, as always, revolve around the institute they keep Jake in. Now they have to throw in a sister in law who, after all this time, wants custody of Jake. I was also kind of surprised that the room Jake was sitting in was right by the entrance and the door to the playroom was wide open. I don't think you keep vulnerable people near the front door where anyone who walks in can see them. Additionally, an escape artist like Jake never seems to have anyone watching him. Teller just walked up to him and gave him a key.

I liked the story with the horse though. I didn't think much of the love story.

LegalMary

LegalMary

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

We enjoyed tonight's episode very much. Everything tied together well and in some cases, surprisingly. The only complaint is that turning the care center where Jake lives into some grand conspiracy does not help this show. Rather, in today's awareness of children on the autism spectrum, including various degrees of Asperger's, child development doctors and/or scientists would want to help discover what Jakes actual condition is--not try to take him away from is only living parent.

My family hopes the writers will go in a different direction on that angle, and continue with the beautiful odyssey of 3 or 4 different connections to Jake's "number of the week." I hope Touch stays on air as long as possible.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

The only thing that makes sense to me is if Kiefer Sutherland signed on to this remake of Touched By An Angel to rehabilitate his public image from that of the Torturer of Twenty-four.
But IMDB indicates he's going to be in 24 movie or something, so now I'm guessing he's given up worrying about type casting and is just interested in staying employed.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

The only complaint is that turning the care center where Jake lives into some grand conspiracy does not help this show.

It definitely looks like they're going in that direction, and that SiL is at least somewhat clued in. I don't know. I had this episode on DVR and had to stop it four times before I finally finished it.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I just wish they'd stop manufacturing all these contrived custody challenges. Isn't there enough going on without them?

these1000hills

these1000hills

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

May contain spoilers from the episode. Re: custody Suddenly Clea seems to be "siding" with Martin. Re: gambler storyline I have a hard time believing Martin paying that $1,000 entry fee.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

That's it for me, folks! One less show to DVR. It's too bad. The premise for the show was more interesting than the show.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Re: custody Suddenly Clea seems to be "siding" with Martin.

She keeps flip-flopping. First she's not on Martin's side then she sees all of Jake's numbers so she is and then - through no fault of his own - Martin misses an appointment so she's not and now she is again? She's not very useful to anyone if she won't commit to anything.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I have a hard time believing Martin paying that $1,000 entry fee.

I thought the same thing, then remembered that his wife left him money. How else could he continually be skipping work without being concerned about losing his job.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I still like this show, but mostly because I like how they end up tying everything together. But they need to spend a little more time researching how things work in everyday life so the rest of the show makes sense. Oh, and quit trying to turn it into Lost 2.0.

We enjoyed tonight's episode very much. Everything tied together well and in some cases, surprisingly.

I couldn't figure out how the Italian guy coming to America for romance tied to the rest of the episode - other than the blogger walking behind Martin at one point. I don't know how the numbers related to her - or to the Australian either, for that matter. He needed the Australian guy to let him know how to save the professor (which was this week's "mission"). The other missions were to find romance for the blogger and/or the Italian and for the Aussie to realize that his dad's buddy should have the ranch. But what did Jake or Martin's frantic running around do that helped their causes?

The sister-in-law wanting custody is odd. I know firsthand that special needs children can positively effect your life, but I don't think there are many custody battles over 12 year olds that don't speak and run off all the time. It would be different if there were some sign that the kid was neglected, but he is healthy and cared for. I think the SiL just wants Jake to give her the lottery numbers.

previous episode - I know people who have a business whose sole purpose is returning lost luggage. They contract through the airlines. So it probably wouldn't be an airport baggage handler returning the tricycle. And who has a tricycle as part of their luggage?

Re: custody Suddenly Clea seems to be "siding" with Martin.

I think when she witnessed first hand how the magical numbers lead to finding her mother and the missing boy, she had a change of heart.

This show requires so much suspension of belief that a kid who sees how numbers tie multiple lives together across the globe seems like the most realistic thing.

Edited by needschocolate, May 2, 2012 @ 3:05 PM.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

But what did Jake or Martin's frantic running around do that helped their causes?

I wondered that too, but I think the point of the other stories is to demonstrate that the number of the week has a lot more connections throughout the world than just the small part that is Martin's mission. He doesn't even know about most of them; those are just for the audience to see.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I think the point of the other stories is to demonstrate that the number of the week has a lot more connections throughout the world than just the small part that is Martin's mission. He doesn't even know about most of them; those are just for the audience to see.

Starchild, I believe your theory is correct. However, I consider it to be lazy writing. Give me some time and a 3 digit number and I could probably find a bunch of real world stories that involve that number in some way (especially if the 3 digit number can relate to a date or time). That is not special. If the magic number makes a bunch of stories intersect with each other, it is much more interesting. I have seen plenty of examples of lazy writing on this show - things that happen that wouldn't happen that way in the real world but the writer(s) didn't bother to check out the facts. I can over look those for the most part, but at least they could make the stories tie into one another - after all, they are making up the stories.

Edited by needschocolate, May 3, 2012 @ 6:59 PM.

Mutant Enemy

Mutant Enemy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Okay, I know it's contrived. I know it's melodramatic. I even know it's (more than) largely ridiculous. But I am SUCH a sucker for this show. I don't care about Clea and her stuff, the aunt and her stuff, the obviously-in-on-the-big-mystery director chick's stuff. Hell, I didn't even care when Lt. Murtaugh finally got to be too old for that shit. But when the taxi dispatcher actually had someone hear him, the entire episode was made for me.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

Mutant Enemy, I'll mostly cosign your post. I FLOVE this show. Too much to go into now. But...was I the only one who heard a big ass anvil drop last night with regards to Astra Labs?, the company that donated the tablets and for whom the aunt works? Are they somehow the BigBad? Unless they get that pitch perfect, which would be incredibly difficult given how many improbable things they already are trying to balance in any given episode, adding a BigBad to the show will be one spinning plate too many and cause it to crash and burn spectacularly. Although if the director/administrator falls down an elevator shaft or gets a helicopter dropped on her, it might be worth it; I hate that woman and I doubt she has been onscreen more than 5 minutes total for the entire series.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

I enjoy this show, I like how seemingly unrelated plots all come together in the end. I particularly liked the last episode with the two sisters being reunited, and the French one meeting her parents and sister for the very first time. What I didn't really get was why Simrin would run away from the image of her lost daughter on the TV. Wouldn't she have wanted to find her? Or was she just scared?

I actually found the taxi dispatcher to be extremely annoying. He's doing this "Good Morning Vietnaaaaaaammmm" type talking to no one in particular. If I was a passenger in one of those cabs and heard this idiot going on and on about nothing, I'd probably ask the driver to turn it down. Dispatchers should be "#502, pick up at 123 Main street, going to the airport". And nowadays, all of that is done electronically on a screen I think.

I do like the fact that each episode is self contained but with some development in the overall storyline of Jack Bauer and his son. I don't care about a whole lot of it (Clea's mom, the mystery woman in the wheelchair, the aunt, etc) but it is mostly entertaining. I also really like Gugu Mbatha-Raw. She was Jenny on Season 5 of "MI-5", where she played Adam Carter's nanny. She does an extremely convincing American accent. Had I not seen her on MI-5 I would never have known she is English.

Mutant Enemy

Mutant Enemy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Renard, I heard the anvil clang as well. I am positive the aunt is up to no good and that she knows more about what's going on with the person in room 6, Jake's numbers, Lt. Murtaugh and Rosalind Shays (thanks so much for that reference!) So I am sure that she's working for Primatech--I mean, Astra Labs and they are going to be the big bads. Le sigh.

blackwing, I understand how the "Good Morning, Vietnam" schtick could be annoying, but I felt for him. It was obvious that the guy was SO lonely and just wanted someone to hear him. I totally agree about Gugu Mbatha-Raw. I loved her as Martha's sister on Doctor Who. She is a beautiful girl and a great actress. I do wish her character would stop flip-flopping, though. She doesn't believe Jack, then she does, then she doesn't again. WTH?

Edited by Mutant Enemy, May 7, 2012 @ 7:00 PM.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

I have to ask - is that huge screen with the live webcam from Tokyo/Paris/wherever real? Does a New York museum actually have that? My daughter is going there next month, and that would be a helluva thing to see.

Another thing - does anyone know if the theme music is available on iTunes, because I REALLY like it. It's haunting and lovely and possibly better than this silly show deserves (although I do like the show and want it to continue).

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I realized during last night's episode, that - despite some flaws - I love this show.

Here is some good news:

http://www.cinemable...lled-42340.html

I didn't think this show would get renewed. I'm happy that it did.

LegalMary

LegalMary

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I also love Touch, and am glad it's been renewed. This best part for me is when all the stories of various people join together AND they all get a happy ending. Life has enough problems; I want to be entertained and that includes a happy ending.

The latest episode was better written and moved the storyline ahead when Jake actually looked directly at his Dad and he touched the diamond dealer as well. The black 13-year old seemed to realize that maybe he just doesn't want to talk, and Dad should just accept that. The diamond dealer said that Kaballah has teachings about certain "just" people in the world. Anyone know if that's real?

Looking forward to next week's episode.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

The story of the 36 righteous people is a true teaching in some types of Judaism. The belief is that, at any given time, there are 36 people on earth who are righteous. They do not know that they are special but if even one of them dies before his/her time, it would signal the beginning of the end of the world. There was a movie or a tv episode or a book recently based on it where the forces of evil were setting out to discover who the 36 were and to kill them in order to force the battle for earth at a time when they felt strong enough to win.

LegalMary

LegalMary

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Thanks for the explanation, HelloooKitty. It's an interesting belief--maybe it's true! I still love this show and hope it comes back in the Fall season.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I still love this show and hope it comes back in the Fall season.

It is coming back for season 2.

Edited by PhPhan, May 22, 2012 @ 8:36 PM.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Is the season finale tomorrow? I didn't particularly care for the last episode. I found it a bit boring and didn't really feel anything at all for the loading dock worker who lost his job or the Israeli/Palestinian couple. I also didn't understand what was going on with the duodecahedrons(?) and what kind of pattern was being formed. The bitchy woman would quickly take some away, Jake would take some away... huh? All i know is that the 25 and 45 were visible.

I wonder what it's like for the child actor. He doesn't get to talk, at all. Except for the voiceovers in the beginning.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I thought the first season was excellent and have enjoyed it immensely.

It's the best feel good show on television. Reminds me a lot of Early Editon.

As far as suspension of belief, almost every show on TV has that quality.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Good call on the finale to get them the heck out of Dodge, which was the antithesis of the finale of The Killing.

surfer

surfer

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Well that would've worked perfectly as a series finale, but I'm glad we're getting a second season.

Liked seeing Randall again and glad that he got his closure. Walt's return and interaction with Jake was also a nice surprise. The storyline with the guy searching for the Reggae musician's brother felt out of place though. And the stuff with the samurai sword was pretty predictable. But Jake holding Martin's hand at the end made me a little misty.

I wonder if they'll stay in California for season 2 or if they'll eventually get back to New York. I guess some of the focus will shift to the search for Amelia which likely means Maria Bello sticks around, which I'm happy about. Won't particularly miss Clea if this is it for that character, but I'm glad she came through in the end after seemingly betraying Martin.