Touch: But Can He Play Pinball?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

313 replies to this topic

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Did high school musical girl at the music festival really get a hold of the phone from the pilot? I thought fake Chris Rock traded it back to the original oven in exchange for an oven?

Maybe he realized what had been happening and decided to continue paying it foward? As long as he had the photos, he didn't really need the phone itself and he clearly had another cell phone he could use.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Did I imagine it or did that social worker actually say something to the effect of "the cow goes moo" to Jake?

I thought Kiefer once told someone that Jake was 10 - still too old for "the cow goes moo" - but also too young for him to have been born before 9/11.

Strange, but I am able to overlook the unbelievability (not a real word, but it'll do) of most of what happens on this show, but there are a a few things that bug me because they don't make sense. Like how is Jake better off in that facility that keeps losing him than he would be at home. Unless the laws in New York are really odd, there is no way the state would take Jake away from his father and put him in that place.

However it doesn't bother me that there are only 2 employees at the care facility, becuase there appears to be only one child to look after.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I guess the powers that be were listening to some viewers' complaints, because we didn't have any "JAAAAKE!" from Kiefer for this episode. (Probably because they didn't have very many scenes together.)

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

I guess the powers that be were listening to some viewers' complaints, because we didn't have any "JAAAAKE!" from Kiefer for this episode. (Probably because they didn't have very many scenes together.)

I was thankful for the reprieve, Shalamar, no matter how short-lived it may be. Without that distraction, though, I'm starting to notice how much frantic rushing around Kiefer is doing, and how utterly intense and desperate he seems to be for much of the time. Hope THAT doesn't start grating on my nerves next! (I've never watched any of his TV stuff, so don't know if that's his style).

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Totally his style. If you haven't seen "24", see if you can find an episode somewhere - it'll seem very familiar. :). "I don't have time to explain, but you have to do exactly what I say NOW. *pant pant*".

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Wondering if in this show Kiefer will ever say "I need a hacksaw." (I get tired of wondering how the various plots are supposed to connect.)

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

This episode upset me twice.

One time was with Clea acting like Martin was being irresponsible missing the meeting or that he was off following Jake's numbers. There was literally nothing he could have done. Someone threatened to shoot him and then he had to go stop a murder and take someone to the hospital. It was pretty pressing and no one could blame him for that. And when Clea was all "This time it was an accident, next time..." There wouldn't be a "next time" because if there was any way for Martin to have been there he would have been. What he went through was completely understandable, not crazy of him, and should be taken into account by the evaluation board. And I don't see why the facility head refused to let the evaluation people come back if they were willing.

Though I do like that they acknowledge that that current place is terrible for him. And I wish Clea would stop pretending she's on Martin's side since she's clearly not.

The other thing I didn't like was the world's least grateful mother. These girls deliver her baby and she won't get in a car with them? Fine, she should be the one who has to wait for the second car. And how in the world did those two girls pass for guys? They clearly sounded female.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

I agree on your first point, Princess Aldrea, but I'm conflicted with your second point. Clea (is that her name?) was so cold to Martin. Ok, so he missed the meeting and yes, he has the history of flaking out or doing stuff that he probably shouldn't be doing during an investigation to see if he should keep Jake. However, this was an instance where he had no say in the matter. He just happened to stumble across all of this BECAUSE his computer got stolen. First, he gets mugged, then held at gunpoint, then when he tries to save this guy's life, the girl trying to kill the guy gets hit by a car trying to run after the guy. Martin did the right thing in taking the girl to the hospital to make sure she was ok. And even though he could have left right then and there, he decided to help her out by accidentally discovering her brother's whereabouts. Now that seems like a good samaritan right there. Clea was being harsh in this whole 'can't reschedule; next time there better not be an emergency like almost getting killed'.

But for the least grateful mother bit, I am conflicted. On the one hand, yeah she's ungrateful and basically abandoning the two girls just because they were women who saved her and her baby's lives. But on the other hand, where they all come from, it must be extremely gender biased and it seems like the women are treated like they are nothing. So this woman probably grew up in an environment like that and didn't want to be scrutinized for having her baby delivered by two women.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

One time was with Clea acting like Martin was being irresponsible missing the meeting or that he was off following Jake's numbers. There was literally nothing he could have done. Someone threatened to shoot him and then he had to go stop a murder and take someone to the hospital. It was pretty pressing and no one could blame him for that. And when Clea was all "This time it was an accident, next time..." There wouldn't be a "next time" because if there was any way for Martin to have been there he would have been. What he went through was completely understandable, not crazy of him, and should be taken into account by the evaluation board. And I don't see why the facility head refused to let the evaluation people come back if they were willing.

I thought she meant that Martin missed the meeting because he was off running around on a mission based on what Jake "told" him. And since he keeps getting those messages, he will continue to run around, in spite of anything else he is supposed to be doing - like meeting his son's case worker.
But didn't Clea also see and buy into the whole Jake-is-communicating thing? So why is she now treating Martin like he's a complete nutbag for running around?
And doesn't Martin have a job? I know he's a writer, but how does he ever have time to research a story or interview people or, you know, write?

I did like this episode though because all the stories tied into each other pretty well, unlike last week.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

So this woman probably grew up in an environment like that and didn't want to be scrutinized for having her baby delivered by two women.

I don't think that anyone would have any way of knowing that. And furthermore, I don't think the delivering of the baby was the problem but rather that they were dressed as men and were driving a car (if she had never driven before, how did she do that well? I know I didn't do that well my first time behind a wheel. And it must be her first time since she didn't understand the fuel gauge). Her "Allah would have taken care of the baby" was annoying because clearly he did take care of it...by sending the two women she scorned. And since it's not her car, where does she get off making demands about who rides in it? I've decided that the reason they included that was for the father's sake so he'd see what kind of a life the girl staying there would lead and so he planned on letting her go to school in America.

I thought she meant that Martin missed the meeting because he was off running around on a mission based on what Jake "told" him.

I agree that that's what she meant but that's not what happened and Martin didn't really tell her.

And doesn't Martin have a job? I know he's a writer, but how does he ever have time to research a story or interview people or, you know, write?

He used to be a writer. Now he works at the airport.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:36 PM.

Uncle Benzene

Uncle Benzene

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

At the risk of being unintentionally offensive here (though everything I'm about to say is about a fictional character within the context of a scripted tee vee drama... hey, if we can "root for" serial killers and thugs and all manner of other unsavory characters on other shows without having to feel guilty about it...)

I'd like to punch that kid in the face. Please, somebody punch that kid in the face. At your earliest convenience, if you don't mind. What a pain in the ass he is.

(Disclaimer #2: That's not any kind of commentary on autism in real life either, because haven't we been told that Jake is not autistic, just magical?)

They tell us he "can't" communicate verbally, but that strikes me as bullshit. Clearly he understands the English language, as he can understand what other people are saying. Clearly his vocal cords work, as evidenced by that incredibly obnoxious solid-minute-long scream at the end of a previous episode. He just won't speak, for whatever reason. That's just being a pain in the ass.

The incessant walking/running off to parts unknown, causing everyone else anxiety and causing them to have to drop everything and locate him. He clearly understands that it's something he shouldn't do, but he does it anyway. Not to mention the things like sliding down under the table at the restaurant, the juice thing from this ep, that infernal scream. Oh sure, he's magical and "has his reasons." Meh, whatever. Surely he can work his "magic" without being an incorrigible jerk about it and a constant pain in the ass.

Martin said "All I have to do today is be on time." Yeah, and whose fault was it that he wasn't? Jake's. Because Jake decided there was some kind of "mission." And I assume Jake knew all about Martin's meeting, and that all he needed to do that day was to be on time. Doesn't Jake want Martin to successfully keep custody of him?

Oh I know, he doesn't have any control over when the numbers/patterns occur to him. Whatever. Do Jake and Martin ever have just a plain old father/son day? Is Jake ever not just detached and morose? I mean, it's not like the two of them are preventing everything bad that ever happens in the world. Is there never a break? Can he never just blow one of these "revelations" off and just be a non-pain-in-the-ass kid? Or something? Please?

I don't know how Martin does it. Good thing it's just a show.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Ha! I know what you mean. When Jake drew that pattern to get Martin to realize that the number he needed to focus on was '22', I thought to myself, then why not just write down '22', like he's written every other number so far? This 'progress' that Teller referenced is just complicating things unnecessarily. Especially when, as you say, Jake could just talk to Martin and get his message across that much faster.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

When Jake drew that pattern to get Martin to realize that the number he needed to focus on was '22', I thought to myself, then why not just write down '22', like he's written every other number so far?

Was this in the Jake evaluation episode? Because wasn't the pattern he drew the same pattern that got Martin's attention on the donor request sheet?

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Yes, right, mind you at the time I had that thought, Teller was looking at that pattern and told Martin that Jake wants him to see '22'. By the way, what exactly was going on with Teller in that scene? He was seeing something in his head, where that pattern came out into 3D space for him, wasn't he? I guess Teller was one of these kids too. And his line to his daughter, about other kids, is hinting at a larger mythology, no?

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Okay, I was watching a show on Hulu and an ad for this show popped up.

Dear Tim Kring, if you want me to take a look at your new series you should try really, really hard not to feature people flipping out over a mysterious sequence of numbers in the promo that will remind me strongly of Lost and associate my seething anger toward that program with your own.

charles wayne

charles wayne

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

The man had Exodus 22:22 tattooed on his chest. And Keifer said "Exodus 22:22". But then he looked up Exodus 22:4. What's up with that? Did they decide they liked 22:4 better than 22:22, but it was too late to re-film, so they just hoped we wouldn't notice?

He was on the 4th floor, so all they had to do was a voice-over of Keifer saying "Exodus 22:4", so we knew he put the 22 from the boy with the 4 for the floor.

Best line of the night: "How did I know E was bad? They should have picked a more threatening letter!"

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Although I'm still wondering how someone who doesn't understand a gas gauge can drive. I mean, wouldn't that be something you learned before somehow illicitly and illegally teaching yourself to drive? The running out of gas plot was really lame. They should have had her get a flat or something.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

And weren't they in some type of luxury car? I would think it would have one of those fancy gauges that actually warn you that you only have so many miles before empty. Or if not, even my ten-year old Hyundai has a gas warning light. If she can't figure that out, maybe she shouldn't be driving a car.

For all the contrivances and utter absurdities in this show, it's little details like this that tend to bug me. Like, the pregnant woman refusing to ride with the girls because they were so immoral breaking the rules like that. Wouldn't having the other girls along be a much better option than riding alone with a unrelated male? I thought that was against the rules too. (Then again, she didn't seem to have a problem flagging down two unrelated "males".) Did I miss what she was doing out there walking down that road anyway?

The engraving on the ring bugged me in one of the prior episodes too. Who the heck engraves their own ring in secret anyway? I can understand surprising someone by getting their ring inscribed, but if you're gonna do your own why not tell your husband so he's not wondering why your ring is missing or better yet, why not do both of your rings together since it means something to both of you? Maybe it's just me.

Uncle Benzene, I hate to admit, but I kinda want to punch Jake too. I think I would enjoy this show so much more if Keifer was unscrambling the ramblings of that one homeless guy (loved him as Chuck on Supernatural) instead of following Jake around screaming his name.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

I can understand surprising someone by getting their ring inscribed, but if you're gonna do your own why not tell your husband so he's not wondering why your ring is missing or better yet, why not do both of your rings together since it means something to both of you? Maybe it's just me.

Martin wasn't wondering why the ring was missing. He didn't notice since he wasn't in the country at the time and hadn't been for awhile. That's probably why she didn't have his ring engraved. And I think she'd rather surprise him when he came home instead of telling him all about it on the phone.

eastercat

eastercat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:39 AM

And weren't they in some type of luxury car? I would think it would have one of those fancy gauges that actually warn you that you only have so many miles before empty. Or if not, even my ten-year old Hyundai has a gas warning light. If she can't figure that out, maybe she shouldn't be driving a car.

I chalked it up to the young woman never having driven. If you've never driven, would you think about things like how much gas is in the car or what an empty fuel light means?

For all the contrivances and utter absurdities in this show, it's little details like this that tend to bug me. Like, the pregnant woman refusing to ride with the girls because they were so immoral breaking the rules like that. Wouldn't having the other girls along be a much better option than riding alone with a unrelated male? I thought that was against the rules too. (Then again, she didn't seem to have a problem flagging down two unrelated "males".)

Now the woman refusing to ride with the women makes sense, but not so much riding with complete strangers. However, I don't understand the intricacies of her culture either. Maybe it's considered normal for a stranger to help another human out in a time of crisis.
I missed why the pregnant woman was walking, but I figured it was to get groceries, an appointment or some other task. Either way, it was a convenient plot device.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

I do believe that in Islam there are restrictions for single woman being alone with men who aren't related. That's one link:
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/146441
I just don't buy that she'd choose men over women in this situation. I think it's pretty clear which could lead to more trouble for her.

Homo_Sapien

Homo_Sapien

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

It didn't take long for Kring to snap the suspension of disbelief to the point of no return.
The real estate agent guy wakes up in the middle of a field, realizes he survived a jumbo jet plane crash, then *walks* back to some town in order to go back to work. How would anyone go unnoticed at a crash site - on foot? Aren't flights monitored more closely than that?

Also Keifer and Social Services woman should have let someone know they were going into the building. It's one thing to try to stop a demolition by breaking into the building with people watching. Sneaking into the building with no one watching is just stupid.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

I chalked it up to the young woman never having driven. If you've never driven, would you think about things like how much gas is in the car or what an empty fuel light means?

I remember when I first got behind the wheel of the car. It did not go nearly as smoothly as this girl's first attempt in which she managed to drive so skillfully that her friend and the pregnant woman both thought she was a boy and no one pulled her over. I was wondering if she'd ever left the country and learned to drive there but that wouldn't explain not knowing about the gas.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

It didn't take long for Kring to snap the suspension of disbelief to the point of no return.
The real estate agent guy wakes up in the middle of a field, realizes he survived a jumbo jet plane crash, then *walks* back to some town in order to go back to work. How would anyone go unnoticed at a crash site - on foot? Aren't flights monitored more closely than that?

Exactly. My friend thought he must be dreaming. I thought maybe he was dead and a ghost. Then people saw him and I expected them to say "Hey you OK? Weren't you on that plane?". And he was bleeding that whole time and never noticed, not even in his down time? Crazy. The show is going for the emotional resolutions, which is fine, but I can't help but LOL at some of it.

Homo_Sapien

Homo_Sapien

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I know magic numbers kid sets Keifer on missions to save kidnapped kids, reunite lost siblings, rescue kittens, etc. But how about trying to prevent/warn people about an airliner that is destined to crash ?!
Talk about warped priorities... (and still no winning lottery numbers yet ? )

Edited by Homo_Sapien, Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:08 PM.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I'm bailing out I'm afraid. I was bored, not excited or even bothered. I don't care about the how and why anymore. Sorry Kring, Keifer and Gugu, it's not going to work out between us - it's not me, it's you.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I know magic numbers kid sets Keifer on missions to save kidnapped kids, reunite lost siblings, rescue kittens, etc. But how about trying to prevent/warn people about an airliner that is destined to crash ?!
Talk about warped priorities

I'm afraid all those people had to die to save that one little boy in the park. Who only had a cold, wasn't in any immediate danger, and would probably have been found soon anyway. I guess he's going to grow up and cure cancer or something.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Hey, who can blame Jake for being on the side of scared kids? And don't forget that the crash was also necessary so dissatisfied real estate guy could posthumously father the child of high-powered career woman who doesn't have her priorities straight. The social politics of the episode do leave a lot to be desired. But a lot of TV says that keeping parents and kids united and happy is more important than world peace, curing cancer, or preventing jets from crashing.

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

For me, the problem with this show is that it asks me to care about people I've never met before and will never see again. There's a lot of random people in the middle of the show that I just don't have an interest in. The thing is, that's the whole premise of the show (random people coming together and changing each other lives). So if you don't like that, there's not a whole lot there for you. I'm hanging on as a viewer because I do find the father/son parts interesting, it is kind of cool at the very end to see how everyone was connected, and apparently there is some underlying mythology that is unfolding slooooowly. I'm still watching, but this is not one of my favorites.

Edited by DebB, Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:03 PM.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]

Talk about warped priorities... (and still no winning lottery numbers yet ? )

[/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]We can speculate that the writers are possible fans of Dr. Who and Quantum Leap. Fans of Dr. Who know that there are fixed points in time. The plane had to crash and can't be changed. Fans of Quantum leap know that Sam helped changed the lives of regular people. This is kind of the same thing. Martin running around making changes in the lives of random people. [/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked this episode. I have no problem suspending belief with most of it. Although, I had to work pretty hard to come up with a scenario of the only survivor of a plane crash going back to work like nothing happened. Mostly because the first responders took too long to get to the scene of the crash. The man was unconscious for who knows how long and nobody is there. The rest was a matter of quantum physics and muscle relaxers. [/font]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]I think the forced story line of institutionalizing the kid allows me to forgive any other ridiculous story lines that they come up with. The stories might be better if they let the kid out and Martin just followed him around the city. Now it looks like we're going to get into some episodes where nefarious people are after the kid and his numbers. I don't know if this show needs a plot of evil. [/font]