Touch: But Can He Play Pinball?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

313 replies to this topic

Snow Child

Snow Child

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

I have to say I loved it. When Keifer yelled "Dammit!" I mentally added "Chloe" to it.

Even though everyone knew that the pictures of the deceased daughter were going to show up on the jumbotron, I still cried. I am so easily manipulated emotionally.

Titus was awesome. His connection was the most "gotcha" to me. Good stuff.

Thought it was cool that the show will pick up again on March 19, so in essence, one day after this episode's timeline.

paigow

paigow

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

That was a good pilot. Maybe it's Mel Gibson that answered the last phone call.

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

It was better than Alcatraz, I'll give it that. And it was good to see Keifer again, and the reveal about the fireman and the lottery ticket was pretty cool. Still, it bogged down some and a few plot points fell a little flat. I'm gonna forgo the rant about how some things really are random and can't be predicted without huge amounts of unobtainable data. Magic brain, fine.

Why did nobody keep the pink phone? It worked everywhere and apparently had magical battery life (unless the picture-takers were also passing along the charger).

I too found it a little odd that New York apparently has such vast resources that they step in with a kid who seems to be just fine. They took the kid away so they can do ... what? Treat his 'autism'? Far as I know there isn't a treatment for this. Keep a better eye on him? They sure didn't do that.

Aren't the bomber guys gonna be pissed? And know exactly where to find their would-be vest boy?

Agreed re: Titus Welliver - anything with him in it is automatically better.

MagniFicent

MagniFicent

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 2:01 AM

Why did nobody keep the pink phone? It worked everywhere and apparently had magical battery life (unless the picture-takers were also passing along the charger).

Seriously! If you're a good person, I think you'd try to return the phone to it's original owner...and if you're a bad person...hey, free phone! The only explanation I can think of is that most guys don't want a girly pink phone with what appeared to be Hello Kitty stickers on it.

Edited by MagniFicent, Jan 26, 2012 @ 2:30 AM.

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

Liked the connection to the kid when Danny Glover offered Keifer a bottle of orange soda at the house! Middle East story with comedian-stove-stealing teenager just didn't fit in the "story". I was afriad he was going to say something like... "A terrorist walks into a bar..." Had me shaking my head when he just pulled the phone off the explosive device, and simply removed the battery. In any event... "Jack is back", at least resuming on March 19th!

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

I liked it a lot. Loved how the two storylines reached a conclusion that made all the randomness make sense. This sort of reminds me of Person of Interest, with Jake being like the machine that sees a need. Did Jake deliberately set the oven/singer storyline in motion by distracting his dad from the pink phone?

Not listening to plot holes like the everlasting phone battery or terrorists suddenly forgiving the kid. Lalalala...

Titus Welliver! I kept trying to remember where I'd seen him. The man in black! Once again manipulated by a Jacob.

I rolled my eyes when the Japanese girl mentioned Ando. Really, Kring? Do you really want to remind us about Heroes?

"Dammit!" Welcome back, Jack.

Edited by Haleth, Jan 26, 2012 @ 8:46 AM.

krq

krq

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

a.) Loved this! I am a fan of the movie "Love, Actually", so the disparate storylines all coming together sold me. I also liked "Heroes", even when it jumped the shark.

b.) Although I've seen Titus Welliver in a lot of things, I immediately thought his character was played by Richard Hatch. And now I wonder if the character will end up in jail for not paying the taxes on the lottery winnings.

c.) Agree with everyone who didn't like how easily the kid was taken away.

d.) Ditto on how there would be no way the comedian kid would still be alive.

e.) Did the Englishman at the end give the comedian kid the oven? I know he's in the restaurant supply business.

f.) I am actually glad this won't re-start again until March. I think this has been a fantastic year for TV, and I am getting behind on my TV watching. But I will definitely tune in for this show.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

I'm not sure I like the premise that a kid with autism is really a precious genius watching the numbers of everything. Its a very Hollywood portrayal of a child with a disorder. The kid is of course a genius. He's perfectly silent. He apparently spends his time quietly writing numbers. There's no poop (yeah, hard to believe but a lot of the genius kids with neurological impairment don't toilet train easily) there's no squawking, or flapping. Most kids with a problem severe enough to completely impact speech are not in most other ways going to appear to be normal.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I really enjoyed the first episode. Then again, I have always been a fan of Kiefer in handcuffs. I was a bit dissappointed that we didn't get a bit more in that scene.

I enjoyed how they ended up weaving the various storylines together. What was cool was that the only storyline that Martin knew about was the Firefighter on the phone and the bus. He had no knowledge of how things turned out for the guy who lost the phone, the customer service agent and her music career, or the kid in Iraq. If we are to believe the premise, the kid knew of all these things but no one else does. So in Martin's mind, the kids on that bus were saved, Martin learned more about what happened to his wife, and the firefighter who had felt guilty for the past 10 years had some for of redemption.

The only real problem I see with the show in the long term is how all of the activity to address the numbers is going to mess with Martin's job. If all of his wifes money was put into a trust fund for Jake then Martin has to work. Not too many jobs are going to be sympathetic to "I have to go, my mute kid gave me a new phone number and I have to go track down how I am connected to this person"

In some ways, it reminds me of Quantum Leap. Instead of Sam jumping into different peoples bodies to fix things, Martin has to go to them and figure out what the problem is and fix it.

I am going to be annoyed if Jake starts speaking really soon or becomes more touchy. I can see that happening over time but it should take time and it there should be problems along the way. And if the Social Worker becomes Chloe I am going to be really annoyed.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I liked the show. Half way through, I decided I was going to recorded it. I was disappointed to learn that it won't be back until March.

The only thing that irritated me was the taking the kid away part. Someone else was watching the kid every time he got away. How was that the dad's fault? He even got away from the center who took the kid away. Kiefer should have been pissed. He should have been pissed at all the care givers.

I can suspend disbelief for the rest. I knew, once the guy mentioned - early in the show - that he was in restaurant supplies, that he would get the kid and oven. Although, I just thought he would offer it just to get his phone back. The twist was more interesting.

I liked Crossing Jordan, so I have hopes for this show. I'm going to give it a chance. I just hope it doesn't turn into a Ghost Whisperer type show with someone like Melinda who butted into places where it was really none of her business. That really bugged me. It looks like it could potentially be a Touched By An Angel, do gooder show. I hope it's better than that.

secretk

secretk

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

I liked the Pilot too.
The kid actor is really good in portraying autist.
It reminds also of Six Degrees and the idea that we're all connected somehow, but I like this show more.
Somehow I think that the social worker will be Chloe and I really don't want that.
Also I'm not sure that I want to see the kid talking or touching. He hasn't done that for 10 years, it won't be natural to start doing it now.

On the other hand, I know what is the feeling for the father. A friend's kid is something like that - he doesn't talk at all, he doesn't want ot meet people or to be touched and to leave the house without his parents. He's still young, but it's frustrating, because it appears that he lives in his own world.

I agree that there were some points that didn't make much sense - like how they took the kid or how the kid ran away in the night from the social care. Wasn't there a doorman?

I cried when the father saw his daughter's pictures in the wall. I don't cry usually during movies, but this was really touching.

I will wait till March to see the next episodes. So far I like it.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

You guys have most of the references that I was thinking about would have been in the pitch; I didn't think of Early Edition and don't really understand Lost but I wasn't a huge follower. I'd also add Grand Canyon, especially because of the Danny Glover connection. I think Quantum Leap is a really good one but also troubling because if you think head to what the end game for the series might be: will the son eventually "come out" of his world to talk and touch or will we be ramped up to a big epiphany that never comes and we just head off on another "solve the puzzle" adventure?

There obviously isn't a rush since the next episode isn't until March but if you HAVE to know/see the ending now, you can get a free copy on iTunes; I know that Fox used to have a 8 day delay before they uploaded new episodes to their website for online viewing.

I just hope they keep the show "pure" and don't introduce some BigBad that wants to exploit and/or kill the kid and Keifer. And definitely no "House" crossover episode!!!! But "Fringe" could be fun although that has the possibility of Nina and Massive Dynamic as the BigBad.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I loved it. It was great to see Kiefer back and in such a different role. Although, he always seems to he in a hurry. :)

I also couldn't understand how the kid constantly got away and how they blamed that on his father. A little contrived to me.

I think this is reminding more of Tru Calling where the heroine had to figure out how to save someone with little or no information. And instead of it being just being Tru to figure it out, it's Dad and son teaming up.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

The only real problem I see with the show in the long term is how all of the activity to address the numbers is going to mess with Martin's job. If all of his wifes money was put into a trust fund for Jake then Martin has to work. Not too many jobs are going to be sympathetic to "I have to go, my mute kid gave me a new phone number and I have to go track down how I am connected to this person"

I wondered about that too, and I'm going to assume (probably not wise) that Titus Welliver's character actually does give Martin the lottery money or some of it at least so money won't be an issue.

shortpplfedup

shortpplfedup

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

I loved it. What really resonated was the emotional beats. I could handwave the science/premise/whatever, because that's not important. Why it worked for me was that I could really feel the father's hurt, anger and frustration, and his desperation to connect with his son, in any way he could, which went a long way toward answering the questions of why he would believe Danny Glover, why he would be convinced that his son was special, why he would take the leap of faith and just dive into this whole crazy mess. There was a tiny beat, when he was talking to Jake before the cell phones went off, and he said something like 'the doctors say you'll be bigger than me, how's that gonna work?' and he was proud and sad and freaked out all at the same time...Kiefer's acting is very good, which is great for the show because his performance has to carry it.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

However, the freakiest thing was that, at the exact moment that the kid's cellphone rings at the climax of the show in Baghdad, my own cellphone made it's startup noise as it rebooted. This means something

(hums Twilight Zone theme song)--Maybe you were meant to be in show biz! Seriously, that would freak me out, too

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Why it worked for me was that I could really feel the father's hurt, anger and frustration, and his desperation to connect with his son, in any way he could, which went a long way toward answering the questions of why he would believe Danny Glover, why he would be convinced that his son was special, why he would take the leap of faith and just dive into this whole crazy mess.

There were just too many coincidences for it all to be happenstance. Plus Danny Glover described his son to a T. I don't think it's a coincidence, though, that his son hugged him for the first time. I wonder if that was part of what he was waiting for, for his dad to climb up on top of that tower and get him. It wasn't enough for Dad to believe him, he had to demonstrate it.

The thing that impressed me the most in this episode was the social worker. At first I thought she was a complete bitch, but then she really did try to interact with father and son. When faced with something remarkable, she didn't try to dismiss it. The boy knew her mother's old phone number and mysteriously got it to show up on her cell phone. So many other shows would have her dismiss it. She believed it the first time she was confronted with that little miracle.

I just hope to see the fireman guy again. I want to see his reaction when he realizes the guy he was feuding with and the child he thought should be in a cage were the very people he wanted to redeem himself with.

I really didn't expect this show to hit me on the emotional level it did. It reminds me of Tru Calling, Early Edition, and The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I just can really get behind a show that demonstrates how people are connected, and that sacrifice and good choices can really make a difference in the world. I'm rooting for this little show so hard.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

It was good hearing Keifer yell "dammit!" and I loved the pilot. I only worry about the longetivity of the series. A pilot is something the show's creators spend a lot of time thinking about but on a weekly basis would they be able to deliver amazing connections? There is a story to be mined about the spouse's rich family, the care worker's beliefs and Glover's conspiracy theories but in order to keep this exciting Keifer will have to end up preventing crimes and terrorists more often and that ground is already being covered by Person of Interest. But I'm curious, really curious.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Future Easy Drinking Game if you want to get blotto:
Take a drink every time Kiefer says, "I know this is going to sound crazy...."

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Watchable, but highly derivative, and it often felt forced. And since I've never been a fan of 24, and only moderately like Kiefer Sutherland (30 minutes into the pilot, he still had the same angsty expression on his face), i'm not too sure i'll be back for more than a couple episodes.

Also, it doesn't help that I have absolutely no faith in Kring to pull off such a premise in the long run.

Edited by Kaoteek, Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:33 PM.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

• Interests:Child welfare and social reform

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

I'm not sure I like the premise that a kid with autism is really a precious genius watching the numbers of everything. Its a very Hollywood portrayal of a child with a disorder. The kid is of course a genius. He's perfectly silent. He apparently spends his time quietly writing numbers. There's no poop (yeah, hard to believe but a lot of the genius kids with neurological impairment don't toilet train easily) there's no squawking, or flapping. Most kids with a problem severe enough to completely impact speech are not in most other ways going to appear to be normal.

But I'm thinking -- maybe -- that the child is not autistic at all. Instead, I think we're meant to understand that he's an extraordinary person with supernatural powers. His gifts are locked inside his head, and the challenge for him is communicating what he's seeing or feeling at any given moment. His autism diagnosis is wrong. I don't know, but that's what I came away with after the pilot.

The plotline with the social worker removing the child under those particular circumstances was ridiculous, but it didn't bother me because I knew it was for the story only. On a shallow note, I was just happy to see a young, pretty <a href="http://www.buddytv.c...batha-raw.aspx" target="_blank">actor</a> playing a social worker because my profession is not often depicted in such a manner.

And while I agree that the last hug between father and son was not a love-hug at all, but rather a grab for the cel, I still didn't like how the child was directed to connect visually with his dad in some light of recognition. Whether it's interpreted as a recognition of love or just a recognition that the cel was within reach, I thought it wasn't true to the way the boy's character had been portrayed so far.

In addition to all the other shows mentioned that seem to remind me of Touch, I'd like to add a specific ongoing interaction from the late, great Rubicon. When I watched the scenes with Kiefer and Danny Glover, I felt all deja vu-ie. Kept thinking, I've seen this before, haven't I? Then I remembered Will Travers visiting <a href="http://www.amctv.com...st/ed-bancroft" target="_blank">Ed Bancroft</a> in his home on a regular basis, consulting, learning, and listening to Bancroft's inspired thinking and/or lunacy. Strong parallels, I think.

I did love the pilot, and it made me think back to how much I loved Lost, especially in those first couple of seasons. It's been a long time since I've looked forward to a series starting.

Edited by sleekandchic, Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:17 PM.

MistressBlot

MistressBlot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Kiefer, so good to see you. Even if you're no longer the guy who could gank ya with a kitten.

It was better than Alcatraz, I'll give it that.

A million, billion times better than Alcatraz, that pitiful splash of seagull guano.

But I'm thinking -- maybe -- that the child is not autistic at all. Instead, I think we're meant to understand that he's an extraordinary person with supernatural powers.

Agreed. It will be nice if they make that point as the show goes forward.

Unlikely as it may seem, I was reminded of the novel A Confederacy of Dunces, whose plot depends ultimately on the divergent plot threads of a lot of wildly different people coming together at just the right time to set all their problems aright. Add in 21st century sparkly stuff, it's still just as pleasurable to watch the strings all pull together. I hope it can keep afloat. Hell, I'm grateful for the one great season of Heroes. If Kring can cough up one great season of this, it'll be enough for me.

The shots from the cemetery were stunning. It was a good-looking show overall.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Then I remembered Will Travers visiting Ed Bancroft in his home on a regular basis, consulting, learning, and listening to Bancroft's inspired thinking and/or lunacy. Strong parallels, I think.

OMG! That's it! I had a similar thought but didn't make the connection. Oh, how I miss Rubicon. *sigh* Truxton Spangler...how cool was that name!

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

But I'm thinking -- maybe -- that the child is not autistic at all. Instead, I think we're meant to understand that he's an extraordinary person with supernatural powers. His gifts are locked inside his head, and the challenge for him is communicating what he's seeing or feeling at any given moment. His autism diagnosis is wrong. I don't know, but that's what I came away with after the pilot.

Oh I think that's where the plot is going as well. I just, and I may be overreacting/being too fussy but, if its *not* autism, then it is really irresponsible to call it autism. And the gifts locked in his head and his genius status.... That is pretty typical wishful thinking about kids with this kind of impairment.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I could have sworn Danny Glover's character said that Jake's diagnosis as autistic was incorrect, just like the other children he referred to. Darn, I'm going to have to watch this again and find out.

forumfish

forumfish

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I'll have to re-watch, too, but I believe Martin was doing an online search for "mutism" (not "autism") when he found Danny Glover's web site.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I felt about this show like I did about the Lost finale: emotionally satisfying but logical WTF. I get the kid is supposed to be some savant who can see patterns and connections, but I can see connections too if the same number keeps popping up. Having the fireman's badge be 318, the bus be 318, the fireman being on the phone at 3:18 on 3/18 and the bus wreck on 3/18 would take someone control events, not someone who cna see patterns in nature. A despite the warm n fuzzy feel of the Hello Kitty phone story, it had nothing to do with the kid or his abilities.

I'll keep watching for now but there's only so long I can take such baffling logic. I'll definately have to watch Kiefer help Mike Novak out.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

I could have sworn Danny Glover's character said that Jake's diagnosis as autistic was incorrect, just like the other children he referred to. Darn, I'm going to have to watch this again and find out.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, and I think Martin was searching for "misdiagnosed mutism," or something to that effect. But I think it's a case where Jake's (that was his name, right?) apparent autism-spectrum disorder is essentially his Bruce Wayne disguise (although the "disguise" is the misdiagnosis and is applied by others, not by him), and his inner self where he sees the magnificent golden thread that connects everything is the true him.

Edited by MarkHB, Jan 27, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Thank you, Maverick, for describing exactly what my problem is with the show.
Another baffling bit was: Why didn't the singer's friend just upload it YouTube? Even if he had some sort of faith in the magical fate that seems to be the show's schtick, it shouldn't have angered the Fates too much if he'd uploaded it before sending it off into the winds of chance, perhaps to be used as a detonator.

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

despite the warm n fuzzy feel of the Hello Kitty phone story, it had nothing to do with the kid or his abilities.

I said the same thing to Mrs. Pootel and she pointed out that it did, albeit tenuously. Jack finds the pink phone and is about to arrange to send it back when he gets a call about his son climbing the tower. Jack puts the phone down on the luggage rack and off it goes. A tiny connection to be sure, but there.

I think I'd have found the story about the guy with the dead kid more touch were it not for two things. First, the reveal of the pictures on the jumbotron was telegraphed like a marching band coming down 5th avenue. Second, why did simply seeing the pictures of his kid again change anything? Presumably he'd looked at the pictures dozens of times, but just one more time brings him healing catharsis? The actor did a good job there but I do like a bit of logic with my heart-stringing.

While I'm here, why did he need the phone itself back at all? Why not just ask Jack to email the pictures to him?

Edited by henriPootel, Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.