The Firm: Because NBC Thinks It's 1993

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

94 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Two-hour premiere tonight on NBC:

Based on the blockbuster feature film and best-selling novel by world-renowned author John Grisham ("The Pelican Brief," "The Client"), "The Firm" continues the story of attorney Mitchell McDeere and his family 10 years after the events of the film and novel. As a young associate, McDeere brought down the prestigious Memphis law firm of Bendini, Lambert & Locke, which operated as a front for the Chicago mob -- and his life was never the same. After a difficult decade, which included a stay in the Federal Witness Protection program, Mitch and his family now emerge from isolation to reclaim their lives and their future -- only to find that past dangers are still lurking and new threats are everywhere. "The Firm" is produced by Entertainment One in association with Sony Pictures Television and Paramount Pictures. The executive producers are Grisham, Lukas Reiter ("Law & Order," "Boston Legal"), John Morayniss ("Haven," "Hung"), Michael Rosenberg ("Hung," "Skins") and Noreen Halpern ("Rookie Blue," "Hung").
Starring:
Josh Lucas, Callum Keith Rennie, Molly Parker, Natasha Calis and Juliette Lewis

Ah, remember the 90's? When unemployment was in the fives, and Tom Cruise & NBC was on top? NBC sure does. Despite the failure of Prime Suspect, they're plowing ahead with this nostalgia product no one was clamoring for.
TV Line review.

Whisperia

Whisperia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Cool, I was wondering if there was a thread.

Critical reception seems to be lukewarm at best at this point. I'll be watching, but only because of Callum Keith Rennie and Molly Parker. Love them both. It doesn't seem like the type of show that I'm generally into, so I'm not expecting much going into it. I'm not sure how the concept makes for a long-term TV show, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

What's bizarre is its not even a remake. Its a SEQUEL (one nobody asked for). Except the actors are all different, and the main character has apparently gone away for 10 years, but still bumps into the scummiest possible murdering lawyers possible.

PezGirl04

PezGirl04

Video Archivist

• Interests:Jericho, Rome, The Tudors, CSI, True Blood, Days of Our Lives

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Im totally looking forward to this show! I love when shows go off of books, but I hate it when they don't follow the book too well (I'm looking at you, A&E, and your Bag of Bones!!) but with this premise, they don't have to stick to a book.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I can't get past the idea that he is supposed to be so smart, yet manages to get caught up in not one but two evil law firms that are bent on murder and mayhem. How the hell does this keep happening to him? Why can't he just work at some small, unassuming, non-profit?

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

How the hell does this keep happening to him?

LOL. I'll tune in just to see how they address this preposterous issue. I do like the idea of Juliet Lewis in the Holly Hunter role. That might be enjoyable.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

I guess that judge forgot that defendants are presumed innocent because that ruling he gave about whether that kid was going to be tried as an adult sure made it sound like he was convinced of his guilt.

But, I thought it was entertaining enough. I'll continue to watch - I don't have anything better to watch Thursdays at 10.

top six

top six

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

I knew it wouldn't be good from the reviews, but I watched anyway. I am a huge fan of the book and the movie.

It's awful. Actually, the premise wasn't that bad, well, until the end when, yes, it turned out that Mitch has joined another law firm that was seemingly friendly, but in actuality is corrupt in an as-yet-unspecified way. And he apparently joined this firm without conducting any sort of due diligence, and taking just 1 day to decide, which is a solid plan because as we all know law firms are always exactly what they appear to be on the outside.

I think there is going to be the conspiracy plot, but also he is going to have individual cases every week. A lot of absurdity this week, including when he went to the funeral of the victim in a case where he was defending the murderer.

I also don't think Josh Lucas is very good, unfortunately.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 9, 2012 @ 7:31 PM.
Unnecessary spoiler tags

swifferoo

swifferoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Who plays the wife? She's rather homely for a network drama, no?

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

Well, actually law firms pretty much are what they appear to be on the outside. Not in TV land, but in the real world.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

I agree. I think lawyers are pretty scuzzy but even I don't think big law firms are sending out hitmen. I'm sure it just isn't worth it to them.

My memory of the movie is fuzzy but IIRC Tom Cruise's version wasn't all that moral himself. This guy is a saint. I kind of don't see any connection between this guy and the guy in the movie if you know what I mean. they could have named him something else but of course I guess they want some familiarity for the audience in hopes of getting people to tune in.

I did NOT buy the resolution of the dad of the victim trying to hire a hit man scenario. NO WAY a lawyer wouldn't have had the guy in jail no matter how much he sympathized.

I liked seeing Juliette Lewis but was a little bored. I do however wonder how the firm fits in with the woman accused of murder. I think my main problem is I don't find the lead compelling. I bet if they'd done this plot with Glen Close like they did in that series where she was a ruthless lawyer that I'd be more intrigued.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

I bet if they'd done this plot with Glen Close like they did in that series where she was a ruthless lawyer that I'd be more intrigued.

Damages. And that's exactly what I thought they were trying to rip off. The idealistic lawyer pulled into a nefarious firm headed by a tough, criminally-inclinded woman, the time jumps. It all screamed Damages.

The guy playing Mitch is nowhere near strong nough to carry a show.

SteveWright

SteveWright

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

My memory of the movie is fuzzy but IIRC Tom Cruise's version wasn't all that moral himself.

Beyond cheating on his wife, he was pretty moral. :) I haven't watched but I will when they reair it, however I would have rather they followed the Film's ending. I know the book has him putting away the mobsters and going into the Witness Protection Plan, but I always preferred how he out thought the mobsters. I think it would have been a bit more compelling (and made much more sense if he thought he could use his own name) if the Mob found his brother and that boat and then decided to take care of him. The don't forget a grudge in 10 years.

Also, if you are a corrupt law firm, why in the world do you hire somebody who brought one down just 10 years ago? Did they address this at all?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I can't get past the idea that he is supposed to be so smart, yet manages to get caught up in not one but two evil law firms that are bent on murder and mayhem.

Don't you know? ALL law firms are evil. ALL of them. This franchise tells us so!

LOL. I'll tune in just to see how they address this preposterous issue.

I'm not watching but my guess would be that they wouldn't even bother.

Also, if you are a corrupt law firm, why in the world do you hire somebody who brought one down just 10 years ago? Did they address this at all?

Do they know who he is, or has he had some fake witness protection background built? (although it seems to me that witness protection makes you change jobs--and hey... that also means even if he was coming OUT of a decade long program he'd have spent the last decade being... I dunno... a grocery store cashier or something and his credentials would be a bit dated)

top six

top six

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Yes it was explained.

Guess I don't need to use Spoiler tags for shows that are aired, and not sure why I did that last night (but spoiler ahead if you haven't watched yet). Basically, the "twist" at the end is that the firm was only hiring him because they want to control his defense of a young woman (whose name escapes me) who he was appointed to defend on murder charges. He met with her at the beginning of the episode, but didn't focus on her defense. So the new corrupt firm has a specific reason for wanting him. We don't know what it is exactly yet, except that if the truth in that case ever comes out, everyone at that firm is going to jail.

I would say it will be interesting to see how this new corrupt firm interacts with his past, and with the mobsters who want to kill him, and if there is any connection between the two, but I doubt I will watch to find out.

Now, I need to get back to my job at a real law firm. I heard a rumor that there is a young idealistic lawyer in town, and obviously we are all brainstorming ways to corrupt him and ruin his life.

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Now, I need to get back to my job at a real law firm. I heard a rumor that there is a young idealistic lawyer in town, and obviously we are all brainstorming ways to corrupt him and ruin his life.

So you're going to watch this show for helpful tips? I'm watching for Callum Keith Rennie, nothing more. They better show all 23 episodes, or offer them if they cancel the show.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I'm going to get bored pretty fast if this turns into a case of the week procedural, with only a snippet of progress made on the bigger murder case/corrupt firm arc each week. I also only tuned in to see Callum K Rennie and Tricia Helfer. As far as I am concerned they can get rid of santimonious Mitch and his tedious family and just have Ray doing PI work for Alex.

Edited by Haleth, Jan 9, 2012 @ 4:42 PM.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

As expected, the premiere tanked in the ratings, and is the lowest in-season drama premiere ever on NBC.

Whatever happens, I am sure all 22 episodes will be shot and aired somewhere. The show was initially developed by Sony Pictures for their AXN network internationally, so even if NBC stopped airing this, I think AXN will finish the season and episodes will surface online one way or another.

I just hope that Two and Six shares some scenes soon.

Edited by argrow, Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:54 PM.

top six

top six

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Oh wow, I am a huge BSG fan and didn't even realize that was Tricia Helfer. What is wrong with me??? I did recognize the other Cylon.

That might actually cause me to watch some more.

Haley17

Haley17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I enjoyed the book and the movie so I thought I'd see what the series was like. I was not impressed and I just don't see how this premise could carry a whole season. I also have to laugh at the whole "evil law firm" thing which Mitch appears to have a knack for finding. Most firms, including mine, are decidedly less interesting.

cheer67

cheer67

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

I dunno. I liked it and so did my fiance. I mean, it wasn't the best thing ever, but I did enjoy it. I thought it was interesting to see what happened to them all when the book/movie ended (which were obv. different). I will keep watching. I do not ever watch tv dramas, and haven't in years. But it kept my attention and I plan to watch Thursday.

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

cheer67, I enjoyed it too. It kept my attention and it was entertaining. I also work in law and could nitpick it to death but I was enjoying it too much to bother, to be honest.

I may stand alone but I liked Josh Lucas. I will definitely be watching on Thursday.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

I finished watching it last night (had to record it), and I enjoyed it as well. I will admit, I was predisposed to like it because I LOVE Josh Lucas, but I enjoyed it in addition to him (although two hours of watching him put me in my happy place, I do have to say).

Loved his brother and Juliette Lewis. Not so hot on his wife; she seemed a little blah to me. But I'm definitely in for as long as it lasts (which won't be long because I'm a notorious show killer. My previous victim? Prime Suspect).

Now that the exposition is mostly out of the way, I think the show being in its regular hour format will tighten it up the storylines a little.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

First 2 hours available free on iTunes.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

At least the show did well in Canada.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

argrow:

At least the show did well in Canada.

But of course. It is partly a Canadian production.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

It's all those Canadian actors we're watching for.

Whisperia

Whisperia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

The Canadian ratings may or may not matter. On the one hand, NBC isn't footing the bill for the production of the show by themselves, so they don't have to worry as much about it tanking in the ratings. On the other hand, Combat Hospital found itself in this same situation (did well in Canada, but not so well in the US). ABC pulled out and it wound up getting cancelled altogether. I guess we'll find out how patient NBC wants to be in letting the show find its footing.

I'm on board with the idea that if this show were Callum Keith Rennie and Juliette Lewis doing PI work for Tricia Helfer's shady law firm, they might have something. At least something more entertaining than the premiere was. I love Molly Parker, but I was so bored through all the family stuff. It was just so bland. I kind of hope they they do some retooling. I don't know how far they are into filming. It might be too late for that. In my idealized version of the show, Mitch and Abby would get pushed into the background, and Ray and Tammy would take over as the leads. Just go full on noir, old school Sam Spade with it. The characters might get a bit grating if there's too much of them, though.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

But of course. It is partly a Canadian production.

So is Vancouver filling in for... wherever this show is set? (just like it fills in for every other damn place in the world)

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

WileyCoyote:
So is Vancouver filling in for... wherever this show is set? (just like it fills in for every other damn place in the world)

Vancouver is not. Toronto is.