Jasmijn

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

I think it was the season finale last week Curious

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

Curious5 - there are no new episodes tonight - they're airing a 2 hour Naked and Afraid and some show called Dude, You're Screwed.  The description for next week's episode :

"Of Moose and Men"

Atz and Atz Lee must swim their horses across a cold lake and contend with bad weather and illness before they reach the hunting grounds for bull moose; Eve gathers mushrooms, while Eivin hunts clams; Chatlotte and Otto must say goodbye to a friend.

I know which scene I'll be ff'ing through.

It was hard for me to watch the porcupine quill extraction scenes last week, especially the one where the horse is thrashing around - that was scary.  I'm glad it ended with a scene where it was ridiculously easy to pull quills from a suckling calf.  I also felt really bad for Eve losing so much of her crop to pests; all her hard work down the drain and now she's short on veggies, which are probably more important to her now that she's pregnant.

Jasmijn - I'm so glad you're enjoying this show.  We seem to have the same tastes in reality programs.  :-)

Diane M

Diane M

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

Thanks for your sleuthing, Lopethina.  So Jane has a job away from the homestead.  I wonder if Atz Lee does also. 

Jasmijn

Jasmijn

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

Oh cool, so next week a new episode!! i thought it was the finale!! 

Walnutqueen, Yes we do indeed, i would be very happy if you can reccomend me some more good reality programs ;-)

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

Jasmijn - check your messages - I sent you a pm.

Jasmijn

Jasmijn

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

WOW, I did not even know i could receive PMs here lol ;-)

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

It seems that each family does their own hunting or raising of livestock. Does Eve share the fruits of her garden with all of them or just her husband and his parents?  She acted as if lots of people were relying on her. 

Jasmijn

Jasmijn

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

What i understood is they also grow on a commercial base a bit! buuutt since im dutch and watch without subtitles, i can be mistaken sometimes a bit here and there!! I always wonder how Otto can have a commercial business with just 35 cows to be honoust! here farms that small do not exist anymore....

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

Jasmijn, I think the businesses Otto might  own would not be farm related.  Since he is so good  in mechanics, I could see a repair shop, or a hardware store.  Even a craft store since they never say anything about the other uses they have for their cow and bear skins, the horns, bear teeth.  With long winter months I could image they are into arts and crafts. Homer is a great tourist town and local artists would be big sellers.  Just guessing though.

I'm wondering if the Jane  who is a school nurse would be an aunt or cousin. I can't imagine traveling so many miles every day to get to the school.  Since Otto and Atz have 6 sisters, there must be someone else with the name.

Jasmijn

Jasmijn

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Thanks, Curiouse, I was already thinking it was so strange to have a commercial cow business with just 35 cows! But what you say makes sense! In regards to Jane, that's also a interesting thought! They never spoke about her profession in the episodes, did they? They just recently brought up the death of her father. I must say, I do like Jane a lot. She seems very funny to me and very outspoken—more a tomboy than Eve, for example.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 12, 2013 @ 7:12 PM.
Readability

Diane M

Diane M

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Isn't the homestead just 10 miles from Homer?  Not too far to commute for a job.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

At first that is what I thought but then googled the school location and it looks like it is northwest of Homer. It looks like 10 miles but you have to take Sterling Highway as the only road so it is really 30 miles from Homer and then another 10 miles to the homestead.  40 miles one way.

Come to think about it  - have we seen any cars or trucks on the property?  Wagons and tractors but no cars.  They have to have vehicles.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Well - I sure need glasses!  I saw the  porcupine quills in the dog and it did not register.  Now the  dog Otto had died.  Sorry.  I don't remember  the dog being shown in  previous shows.  That that story line was a bit over the top though,

Diane M

Diane M

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

I love this show, I really do, but I have to remind myself that a lot of it is staged.  For instance, how likely was it that Jerry died when the camera crew were at the homestead?  And they just happened to be there when the porcupine shot its quills at Jerry and the horse and calf?  And I know the Kilchers like to hunt and get their meat for winter, but it isn't like they can't take a quick trip into Homer for some hamburger or pork chops if their freezer is bare.  I don't believe they want to viewers to know just how close they are to civilization.  That said, I do enjoy the show and I like all the Kilchers.  They're good people.

ChesterhillGirl

ChesterhillGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

I agree, Diane M, that the producers are trying to make the Kilchers look like they are on the far edges of civilization!  All the drama about having to go on horseback to Caribou lake, and then swim the horses over to the moose hunting ground, and then packing the meat on the horses to go home.  Just last night on another Alaska program about real estate, a couple was looking at homes on Caribou lake and the RE agent kept emphasizing how easy it was to get to Homer, and how short the commute was (these people worked in Homer and wanted to live rustically).

Was sorry to see that Jerry had passed away;  I always feel sad about pet deaths.  But I had to smile grimly when one of the moose hunters (not Kilchers) said that the large moose around his homestead had been disappearing so he had to hunt in deeper wilderness.  It doesn't take a lot of hunting to take out all the older, larger animals.  He didn't appear to have much self-awareness.

tobeannounced

tobeannounced

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

I love this show, I really do, but I have to remind myself that a lot of it is staged.  For instance, how likely was it that Jerry died when the camera crew were at the homestead?  And they just happened to be there when the porcupine shot its quills at Jerry and the horse and calf?

Oh, lord, I hope they wouldn't stage scenes where animals are harmed.  If they tied that poor horse up just for a reenactment, I would never watch this show again. I just can't imagine they would do that when they seem to have such love and affection for their animals.

Edited by tobeannounced, Dec 17, 2013 @ 9:36 AM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Otto and Charlotte do show a lot of caring for their animals, so I don't think they'd ever do that.

I'm not ashamed to admit I bawled like a baby when Jerry died, and my heart went out to Otto, Charlotte and August.  I did not appreciate the lingering shots of the dead dog, and had to look away.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

I  might have misunderstood buty I think the dog died during the night and what we saw was a deceased dog with eyes open. 

On staging, my guess is that they have a cameraman at each homestead.  If something happens, the cameraman is alerted and follows the people to the crisis. A little like the cop shows where they only show the crime or arrest - not the long hours in the car patrolling.

I was a bit uncomfortable about the grave site.  Yep, I would have cried but it seemed to be a bit overdone. 

Atz Lee is driving me crazy - don't care for his explanations.  Isn't he the idiot that never got enough wood for the winter the first year and ran out of food.  Oh and got sick because he didn't have enough vegetables.  Now he's an expert?

It didn't sound like Atz Lee was going to share the moose meat with their buddy.  Referred to the fact both families would have full freezers.  I would have guessed it would have been split three ways.

The theme that they'd starve without meat for the winter or veggies - over played.  I guess if they were more clear about trips to town it would ruin the theme they are running for the show.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 2:57 PM

Well, last night's episode was a lot better than last week; I only had to ff through the chicken killing scene.  :-)

It was cool watching Otto and Charlotte working together to build his shed.  I'm always amazed to see how much one man and woman can accomplish, and Otto seems to be able to do just about everything.

My favorite part had to be Atz and his horses.  There were some excellent scenes of going places no machines can take you, and the scenes with the colt he was training were pure gold.  I was grinning with pure joy watching that colt's antics with the herd; he was just as cute kicking up his heels as he was stomping in frustration upon being put in time out (tied to a stump!).

Jasmijn

Jasmijn

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

Just saw the episode online, so gonna watch it on streams any moment :-)

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

I have to agree Walnutqueen - last night was the best so far.  I noticed that the format has definitely changed.  Otto was talking directly to the camera and seemed to be sharing more good info.  The building of the shed - so called - was a bit crazy.  Could not believe how they were putting on the roof.  It did work in the end though.  But no sides?  I don't see much protection at this point as the wind can easily whip the snow into the shed from any side. 

I agree with my DH Otto was smart to bleed the lines as he did for the air bubbles.  Think my husband will remember that little trick.

I was surprised that they only have 4 - 5 chicks each Spring.  With  30 chickens that just doesn't make sense.  Heck, if they worry about cost, they could just leave the chicks run around in a large area and they could grow up with little feed.  They could be butchering 30 to 50 chickens every fall for trading or bartering.

The whole show was excellent.  Atz losing his horse and crossing the river was excellent.  I did wonder about the cameramen.  They must have had horses up there to film so they filmed him wading across as they rode?  All's fair in war and tv shows, though.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 3:52 PM

I was surprised that they only have 4 - 5 chicks each Spring.  With  30 chickens that just doesn't make sense.  Heck, if they worry about cost, they could just leave the chicks run around in a large area and they could grow up with little feed.  They could be butchering 30 to 50 chickens every fall for trading or bartering.

I think maybe there are far too many predators for the chicks to be in anything but a well fortified cage, and that means they have to keep the population down (or build a chicken enclosure the scale of Otto's "shed").  With the long winters, it may not be economical.

njcritgirl

njcritgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 8:06 AM

I wonder why Janes Facebook has her name as "Spruce Tip".  Unique.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 5:53 PM

I checked out the Discovery live cam of the homesite.  Sorry but so far it's boring.  I did find a link there about Atz and Jewel writing the theme song for the show and a video as they performed it.  Obviously they were doing a show.  She said Atz Lee had called to say they  were going to sign a TV contract but she thought it was for a TV since Atz Lee didn't have a television there. 

swansong68

swansong68

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

I really enjoyed the latest episode. I loved the adventures of Otto and Eivin! Except for the making of the duck call. Ewwwww. I love that Otto duct tapes his pants. I pretty much love everything Otto does!

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 1:53 PM

swansong68 - Otto and Eiven are my favorites, too.  I think Eiven will be a great dad, because he's had such a wonderful teacher in Otto.  Now I don't know if Otto's always been so genial, but he certainly has passed on a lot of knowledge to Eiven, and they seem to share a real affection for each other.  It would be interesting to follow Eiven's family and see how they deal with their world inevitably changing.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2014 @ 11:11 AM

The deer hunt was interesting - hard to watch the deer dead but since most of us eat food from the grocery store we just don't see the reality of our food.  It looked like they didn't bring the hides back with them.  That would be surprising.  I think I'd grab as much as I could.  About 40 lbs per deer would just be getting the main sections.  They would use the hides - sell as is - we do - or tan them.  The legs and other parts would work for stews and bones for the dogs and chickens.

I wonder if we just didn't see the total trip back.  They could have used the inflatable boat to haul the rest of the deer back.  There is a lot more than 40 lbs  of meat per deer.

swansong68

swansong68

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

I do believe that Otto duct tapes all his clothes!

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

Eiven knits his own hats. Wow. If he wasn't already married, I'd go to Alaska to nap him was wondering who made his hats.

Finley is one cute baby.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 12:39 PM

Eiven is a true Renaissance Man.  I love the fact that he tries to live a thoughtful and conscientious life.  If only I'd met a man like him when I was young ...