Leave It to Bryan

• Please log in to reply

40 replies to this topic

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Bryan Baeumler's new show, people pitch to him what they want done in their home and he picks which project depending on their funds and what should be done first.

http://www.hgtv.ca/leaveittobryan/

In the first episode, the homeowners wanted their kitchen done but he decides to do the (rotted out) porch and roof. In the second he does the basement rec room.

Bryan can come to my house and do whatever he wants so I love it. He is so down to earth and funny!

(edit to add link)

Edited by millk, Jan 6, 2012 @ 7:46 PM.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Hooray! I love that guy. HGTV could be all Bryan, all the time as far as I'm concerned. I always learn something watching his shows, unlike *Mike Holmes* cough.

Unfortunately, I can't stand Bryan's wife, so I'm hoping she's not involved in this one...

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

She isn't in this series but they've done a House of Bryan 2 where they build a new cottage.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I really like the set up of this show. The "fake out" bit they kinda do where the people come home not knowing what they are working on doesn't even annoy me. (the one where they had the toilet out by the road but turns out they were doing the kitchen was hilarious)

I don't think I'll ever tire of Bryan.

Catri

Catri

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I like the show, I like Bryan generally, but I would not want him to do my kitchen. It seems that he uses cheap, flat-pack, assemble-yourself kitchen cabinets and they come out looking like exactly that. I know people are on budgets, but a kitchen is a big, expensive reno and not something most people will replace in a few years so I think it's worth it to spend a little more on good quality cabinets. They mentioned in last night's show that they went with laminate counter tops because there wasn't time to have stone ones made, so maybe that's why they go with the lesser quality boxes too, but I still don't like it.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Season 2 started last night. Bryan is just a very likable guy, I could watch him do just about anything.

Oh and for those in the US, House of Bryan 2 has fully aired. It was okay but if you don't enjoy Sarah, you aren't going to like this.

(do you think we should have the thread title changed to reflect all Bryan shows?)

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I like this show quite well, better than Disaster DIY which still wasn't too bad a show.

He should not allow Sarah on any show...I don't like her at all.

I agree that all his shows could be in one thread.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

House of Bryan 3 is in the can and you can own House of Bryan 1. He posted on facebook that with #4 baby on her way they wanted more space.

http://www.realtor.c...Key=-1113452154

http://www.thestar.c...-are-on-the-way (about the move and the latest Leave It To Bryan episodes)

Edited by millk, Sep 6, 2012 @ 8:39 PM.

Catri

Catri

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

His wife is my absolute least favourite thing on an otherwise interesting build show. I'm disappointed that we'll be subjected to her again.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Someone mentioned this show on the Disaster DIY thread, and I taped one.
It was the guy who really wanted a panic room. For the zombie apocalypse. Really, I think.
'Twas a fun episode, and I like the premise that Bryan gets to choose which space to do.
Will look for more of this.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

I like it. It seems that Bryan looks around and tries to pick what will be the most important thing the house needs as opposed to what the HO's want. So he takes the time to figure out if fixing this room properly now will save them having to redo the entire end of the house later; or if for the budget/skills involved, it's better to do that room now, and save the other room for the family.

As for using flat pack cabinets, I suspect that's a budget issue. In the end, the HO's are funding most of the reno, and he generally has to work within those limits, while still doing it right. Which is part of the reason he will sometime skip a kitchen reno that's really needed; because the HO's budget won't let them do it right.

(By the way, HGTV.ca's next Handyman Challenge show is starting soon. Bryan is judging it this year again, along with Scott and a 3rd judge I didn't recognize. First time Mike isn't involved I think).

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

The show today was at a cottage by a beautiful lake, and Bryan chose to do the walkout basement, which faced the lake.
Like that he picked it over the kitchen.
The wife was either one of those irritating people who play to the stereotype with "I want what I want, damn the cost," or was told to do it for the show.
They both ended up happy with it, and it fit into the budget they had.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

I'm glad that they've started airing this show in the U.S. It's ok but I preferred Disaster DIY because Bryan is so good at teaching homeowners. They don't let the homeowners do much on Leave It to Bryan.

There have been some very annoying homeowners. They finally got a fun couple and Bryan did their kitchen. The lady did a little demo but Bryan was impatient and took away her tools. It was strange because he was always a great teacher on Disaster DIY. The kitchen came out great with new cabinets and a tiled floor.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 6, 2013 @ 12:41 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

I prefer Bryan on Disaster DIY, because I love to see him interact with the homeowners, but I enjoy this one also.
On the one on the other day, it seemed to be time constraints as well as budget, on the cabinets.  There was an awkward place and the carpenter made some for there, but they were otherwise out-of-the-box cabinets.

That was also why he said they couldn't get natural stone for the countertops.
We've had more House of Bryan repeats recently, but Sarah really spoils those.
Do we know why they moved house so soon after they built?

Catri

Catri

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

Apparently they moved because they had another baby and need more room.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

Thanks Catri.
That house was huge, but I guess they didn't have many bedrooms.

Wonder if it was still as colorless when they left.  As I recall, it was light green everywhere.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

They have 4 kids now.

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 7:48 AM

From the kitchens I call recall I think they were decent.  The cabinets may have been stock but I recall nice back splashes and crown and base trim, which really add a lot to a kitchen.  The only thing I would really care with my own cabinet is that they have the anti-slam features and you seem to be able to get those in stock cabinets now, some stock cabinets even have full wood boxes so I think they can provide the ease of access and price point while still being nice.  There are lots of nice non-stone counter tops these days, I don't think stone is a must have in every kitchen, some people want a nice kitchen and cannot afford stone.  I wouldn't keep a poor layout, lighting, etc. just to get stone.  You can always add stone later.  I would rather move forward with a reno and leave the stone off than live with a non-functioning kitchen for years longer to save money.

I do hope the homeowners are allowed to give different budgets per each room renovating a washroom should not be done with a budget the person wanted for a kitchen.  I have liked that it doesn't seem like Bryan over renovates the houses for their size and possibily area as many of the houses shown are just average houses and he does seem to have decent taste unlike Mike who often has wierd taste and who I have seem insult home owner choices when their's seemed nicer.

The only think I don't like about Bryan and the show is that he talks about guy's "man card" and acts like women don't need to know anything about their home renos beyond the pretty stuff.  As woman who does home renos as a hobby (my own home), I can lay tile, plumb, wire, etc. (to code) and it offends me when people act like those are man jobs and woman should cook, clean and raise babies.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

The new season has started up here now.

Homeowners can say what budget they want for each room. I suspect behind the scenes they are saying "I have 30k for kitchen, but 20k for bathroom and 10k for basement to work with." and that's taken into consideration with what Bryan does. 

I haven't finished watching the ep I just recorded, but man, that was a shock the home owners got; almost literally. They hired a contractor to redo their kitchen a year before, and called Bryan in to (in the end) renovate the mudroom off the kitchen. Bryan discovered that the contractor didn't pull permits, the electrical subcontractor clipped the lock on the meter and didn't get the panel work inspected. Basically the kitchen's electrical work had to be redone and inspected. (with the local utility suing the contractor and electrical sub for the hacking they did). The mudroom itself had been built poorly to begin with, and had to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

I get the feeling that while on camera, Bryan acts surprised by some of the Pandorra's boxes he opens up, I suspect that he suspects some of them ahead of time, and that influences the choice he makes. He'll sometimes pick a project because it'll give him the access to the true problem in the house. Last season he picked a similar mudroom project for the Homeowners because he'd noticed the brickwork was beginning to fail above it; and he basically had to rebuild the entire back wall of the house due to what they uncovered.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

It was nice seeing Adam again helping with the kitchen reno. He was totally different this time. There was no joking around or acting clumsy. I always assumed he was a reality show plant on House of Bryan. It's very common to include an eager apprentice in Reality shows. The writers can craft a lot of stories around that bumbling newbie character. Adam was also on one episode of Disaster DIY trying and failing to build outdoor steps down a hill to the river. Adam is apparently now a real member of Bryan's construction company. He seemed like a seasoned pro in this new episode. I hope Adam appears frequently on Leave It to Bryan?

Gosh that homeowner's wife was annoying. She was so determined to get new stainless appliances even though the budget was gone.  She was just as selfish and full of herself as Sarah Baeumler. Haven't these people heard of saving for the luxuries they want? Get the reno paid for and buy the silly stainless crap a year later. It's not going to kill them to use their old stove and fridge. The new appliances are easy to install later.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:16 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

She was just as selfish and full of herself as Sarah Baeumler.

You nailed it there!
I think Adam really is his apprentice, and first met Bryan at the wakeboarding cottage edition.  I gather he was new at this when he had those convoluted stairs, but in house building ones, I think most of the screw ups were for the show.

It did look like she didn't get granite, but I didn't hear what it was.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

I wondered how long it would take before Bryan uncovered something serious. That moldy basement reminded me of a Holmes episode. They even had to bring in a remediation team to deal with it. Bryan was blaming the grading in the backyard patio area. But I never did see them bulldoze and regrade the backyard. They applied some foundation waterproofing and that was about it.

I don't think that couple ever fully understood how dangerous black mold can be. Once mold allergies start, they can give people problems for the rest of their lives.  Cleaning up the mold helps a lot, but the person still has a mold allergy that can easily act up.

DIY started airing the Bryan House - Cottage this weekend.  Geez that's some cottage.  I'm not surprised. Anything he builds for Sarah has to be huge and elaborate. He gave Sarah a 25k budget just to decorate a cottage. Every weekend lake cabin I've ever used had second hand furniture, old appliances, and a couple dented pots & cast iron skillet.  But, Sarah gets all new stuff.  It must be nice having lots of money.  Glad Bryan stood up for himself and insisted on buying that lake property where he grew up.

Edited by aceplace57, Oct 7, 2013 @ 8:26 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

I just happened to find the cottage show, because DIY had been running the first house build one, and it isn't some I care to rewatch often.

In the first cottage one, I liked Sarah better, but by the second one, she back to form.

The thing about the $25K furniture budget was that Bryan set it AFTER he said that the new bedroom/laundry room addition would cost $50k, and would come out of the furniture budget, thus the $25 was what was left.

And I agree.  Who'd want a $700 chair where you come in muddy, sandy, and/or wet.

These are places for old furniture to come to die, and none of the other cottages he's done have looked elaborate.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

The fake reno choices are getting annoying. I just watched the episode with the two sisters and the little house. The bathroom obviously had a very recent reno, with a brand new sink and faucet. Looked like slate tiles on the floor. It seemed unbelievable anyone would touch that new bathroom when the kitchen looked like a war zone. The cabinets didn't even have doors on them. Tiles peeling up off the floor. It was so obvious that was the room originally planned for a reno.

One of these days I keep expecting real life to intrude into one of these shows. Sorry people but all you have is a nice bare room, but we totally rewired the electrical and redid the plumbing. You can always get the room sheetrocked and hang cabinets later. Enjoy your bare studded room and please smile for the HGTV cameras!

That will never happen of course. Somehow, magically no matter what they find wrong the room gets done with nice shiny stainless appliances and a huge stainless range hood. I guess they wring money out of the homeowners and then HGTV kicks in with donations and free work.

I admit that was some of the worst electrical I've ever seen. That would even give Frank on HOH a shock.  Burned aluminum wires in the wall. A subpanel buried in the wall and behind the plaster. Unbelievable.  I'm really surprised the city didn't make them totally rewire the entire house. If the kitchen was that badly framed and wired, the other rooms couldn't have been much better.

Edited by aceplace57, Oct 10, 2013 @ 11:51 PM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

IIRC, there has been an ep or two where Bryan has had to rewire the whole house based on what they discover. Usually it's a scene where he tells the HO's the news, tells them they need more money to do it, and it'll be done next scene. Since they only have 30 minutes to work with in show, we don't see as much of the side effects as we do on Holmes' shows. 

And while Bryan does seem to try his best to get what the HO's want, there are times when he can't get what they really really want. There was an ep recently where, IIRC, they discovered the load bearing walls weren't bearing the load, they had to retro in some more pillars, and because of that, they ended up reusing teh HO's old appliance instead of getting new. The kitchen still looked good, but the HO's were disappointed to not get the upgraded stuff in the end. 

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

I saw the next two in the cottage build, and the cottage looks like what you'd get if you told Ty Pennington to build a rustic cottage.
I'm assuming that have generators, but something that large looks like it would take a LOT of power.

Bryan said, in passing, maybe we'll sell the house, and I thought I read that they did.

Is this cottage their regular home now?  Is it really only accessible by boat, or is there a long way around where you can get there by road?

I felt sorry for Rebecca, because I think Bryan put her in that position.  I can't blame Sarah (much as I'd like to) for wanting to make decisions on her own home.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

Bryan's building another house for them and it's being filmed for a House of Bryan Season 3 - In The Sticks. They're moving out of the city to the country.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

There is a way to get there on land I think. While building they had a base camp at Bryan's parents cottage and went back and forth on 4 wheelers.

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 6:54 PM

I'm watching an older episode of Leave It To Bryan with a couple that had a mold problem in their basement  If all the homeowners are like the woman in this episode, I won't be watching it again.  She went nuts because they had to remove some ugly concrete steps to clean up the basement problem.  If I were Bryan I would have wished her luck and then left her and her moldy basement alone.  Why do TPTB on these shows think we like to watch irritating people like this?  

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

I want them to replay the one with the guy who wanted a panic room, but I haven't seen that one listed.

The people on Disaster DIY are more fun to watch.