S12: Clay Aiken

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

207 replies to this topic

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

That bit where Trump fires someone else isn't even from this episode.

I'm proud of Clay. He is on MSNBC tonight (The Ed Show) as a spokesman for GLSEN. Again. He also went as their representative last year to speak to congress in order to include LGBT kids in the new anti-bullying in schools bill.

'ED Show' playbook: Thurs., May 10 MSNBC

Tonight, singer/entertainer Clay Aiken, spokesman for the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, explains why the president's remarks make things better for everyone.

I bet Aubrey is going "Hey! What about me!?"

Edited by Travid, May 10, 2012 @ 8:02 PM.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

He is on MSNBC tonight (The Ed Show) as a spokesman for GLSEN. Again. He also went as their representative last year to speak to congress in order to include LGBT kids in the new anti-bullying in schools bill.

I saw that and thought briefly (it's a pretty important topic for me, so briefly) about this show and Audrey's supposedly raising money/being the spokesperson for GLSEN. So it did suprise me he was speaking for that group, given the show.

But I have to say, Clay was really good on Ed's show, so that it's kind of making me root for him, even after the last two weeks. So that I have to say now, go Clay!

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, May 10, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

tv after work

tv after work

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Clay is also going to be on "Face the Nation" tomorrow morning. He's turned into quite an advocate/activist for gay rights, sure has come a loooong way from the wide-eyed kid on American Idol. I can't help but wonder if John Rich and Marlee Matlin still think of him as a follower.

psychohamster

psychohamster

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

I finally got a chance to see the last episode and one thing jumped out at me. I had watched American Idol when Clay came in second, and it always seemed to me that both he and Ruben were happy either way and it was not such a big deal to Clay that he lost. Especially considering how much he outshined Ruben after his win, I got a sense he had moved on. However, maybe it's the editing, but in this episode he seems to have a major chip on his shoulder about coming in second. I mean, here he was, in the final two, with his buddy Arsenio (and I do believe their friendship and affection toward each other is genuine) but instead of being genuinely happy like Arsenio was, he kept talking about how it feels like a deja-vu and how he can't lose this time. I actually felt sorry for him. If it bothers him so much, almost 10 years later, then let him have this win! I don't know how the final task will turn out, but based on their performances up until now, he deserves it more anyway.

operasinger

operasinger

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Clay is also going to be on "Face the Nation" tomorrow morning. He's turned into quite an advocate/activist for gay rights, sure has come a loooong way from the wide-eyed kid on American Idol. I can't help but wonder if John Rich and Marlee Matlin still think of him as a follower.

I watched the "Face the Nation" clip this morning and thought that Clay acquitted himself VERY well. He was calm, stated his opinions intelligently and clearly and didn't engage with the creep from Family Research (BTW - what exactly IS "natural law"?). I think that Clay (especially after his appearance on "Face the Nation") has quite a bit of gravitas and I find it interesting that John Rich (who hasn't appeared on a major political talk show and probably never will), in his homophobic assholishness, tried to get a dig into Clay by calling him a "follower" and not a "leader." I also thought that Clay's answer was perfect when Trump asked him about it. Too bad that Trump's ego can't allow someone to get a fully formed thought out before interrupting them.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

This is quite a big week for Clay Aiken. First he releases his first interesting song in years, then he's on Meet the Press to discuss gay marriage, and now he's in yet another Final Two with elements that harken back to Ruben Studdard.

I hope he wins this time. I think he's very much the better player.

Koffee Kup

Koffee Kup

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

didn't engage with the creep from Family Research (BTW - what exactly IS "natural law"?)

I found this posted elsewhere about natural law and creepy Family Research guy needs to be educated.

Natural law has nothing to do with nature. It's the idea that all people are born with certain inalienable rights that cannot be interfered with by governments. Natural law is the basis for the Declaration of Independence. Natural law supports civil rights including rights for LGBT people.

Edited by Koffee Kup, May 15, 2012 @ 10:14 AM.

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I like his politics far better than his singing (which sounds silly to me, as does his current new song). So, I'd be happy for him to stick to talking on the topic of gay rights. I could actually enjoy supporting him on that.

As for CA, he tries hard to act patient, but it's not his natural state. I didn't disagree w/ his POVs about running the project, just his haughty attitude.

Edited by SunFun, May 15, 2012 @ 11:40 AM.

operasinger

operasinger

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

As for CA, he tries hard to act patient, but it's not his natural state. I didn't disagree w/ his POVs about running the project, just his haughty attitude.

I don't agree. I think Clay has a great deal of patience. I felt that he showed a great deal of patience on Face the Nation.

I also think that what some see as "haughty" I see as not suffering fools gladly and frustration. Clay has a rather clipped and staccato speech pattern which can be misread as "haughty."

Edited by operasinger, May 15, 2012 @ 1:22 PM.

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

We'll agree to disagree. Clay has a history of haughtiness and impatience (going back to HS days), so I don't give him a pass because of his speech pattern. As for "Face the Nation", the setting demands proper patience, and Clay's not stupid.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Face the Nation and Celebrity Apprentice are two different animals entirely. On Face the Nation, he just has to present his views, hear the views of others, and then restate why he believes his view is the better one than theirs. Sure he could get angry, esp. if the other guy is a hateful moron. But he knows it's best in this situation to keep his cool and present his views in a civilized manner. On Celebrity Apprentice, there are time constraints, there are multiple people talking and arguing over the best way to achieve a common goal. There's the stress of the unknown ("Will Trump/ the Clients like this?") and much sleep deprivation. Losing his cool on CA is fairly understandable. And he hasn't been as ugly about it as Lisa was. He's made snarky little comments about his opponents' in his Talking Heads (but that's also to be expected given the nature of the show)

All that said... I'm still rooting for Arsenio (who also has lost his cool on CA). I guess Arsenio's just more my generation. I never really got Clay. He always seemed Barry Manilow, Jr. in his vocal stylings. And I never got all the oohs and ahhs over his singing on CA. Would have much rather Dee Snider have more chances to tear it up (again- that's probably a generational thing with me)

tv after work

tv after work

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

orionlion - go to ITunes and download 'Luck Be a Lady Tonight' - it's a duet between Dee and Clay on Dee's new album "Dee Does Broadway" and, even though I'm not into heavy metal, it's a delight. And if you like Dee, you'll probabaly really enjoy the whole CD.

Am glad Clay and Arsenio are the final two on CA. My bet is Clay for the win, but either is actually fine with me.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Comparing Clay to other singers is off-topic. This isn't a singing competition.

And talking about whether or not everyone likes Clay is boards-on-boards, so please don't do that.

Here's what is on topic: Clay's actions on Celebrity Apprentice. If you're not talking about that, you're off topic.

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

Since I didn't attend high school with Clay, I have no basis upon which to judge whether or not he was haughty as a kid. Although not traveling in Clay's circle, all I know is what I see of him on the public stage and in the ensuing years, he seems to have carried himself well.

If he were exhibiting haughty behavior on CA, he would have shoved Dayana aside on the Jingle task and taken the PM spot. Instead, to his misfortune, he stepped aside resulting in his only meltdown due to Dayana's mishandling of the task.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Clay walks a fine line between being confident, arrogant, and a childish know-it-all. Actually, I think he is a little bit of each.

Still, he "minds his manners" and watches his speech along the way.

He has a pleasant air about him on the surface, but just underneath, he's shrewd and a bit bitchy.

He's a real character who makes for good entertainment on a show like CA.

tv after work

tv after work

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

The same can be said for a lot of people I know. It's good to see that he's just a normal person like everybody else. :)

Edited by tv after work, May 16, 2012 @ 8:27 PM.

Caty

Caty

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

I wish we were privy to more than what was shown of Clay's interview with John Rich. When John was nagging Clay about his having playing it safe and not stepping up, I could just see something rise up inside Clay which he gently subdued. He could have shredded Rich verbally apart like confetti with his sharp wit but he held back. He hasn't caused scandal or made any enemies during CA nor since. Clay is going to take the crown easily, no problem. There is no way Arsenio can defeat him.

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

@johnrich

I'm calling @clayaiken as the winner tonight on C.Apprentice. Should be fun to watch!

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

That tweet looks so good!!!!

heydude08

heydude08

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

Hated to see Clay lose this one. I think he outplayed Arsenio but Trump probably wanted to choose a minority player!

grownup

grownup

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Clay IS a minority though...

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

My guess is that he thought Arsenio would bring in more $ making the decision easy. When Clay brought in double, he had to resort to BS to name who he wanted. This has nothing to do with who was more qualified and everything to do with who Trump wanted.

RentEmSpoons

RentEmSpoons

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

I think he outplayed Arsenio but Trump probably wanted to choose a minority player!

Like when Holly Robinson Peete beat Bret Michaels. Oh, wait...

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Like when Holly Robinson Peete beat Bret Michaels. Oh, wait...

The only reason Brett Michaels won was because he didn't die.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Topic, please.

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Still in shock that Clay was robbed.

Andy Denhart of Reality Blurred wtote a great article.

Kiermar

Kiermar

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

LOVED that blog, Travid, especially this part:

But here’s why Clay wins, in all other senses of the term: He didn’t care about his old image, nor creating a new one. He was just himself, and while it wasn’t a brand-new persona, it was surprising.

As a result, he transcended the image of the sweet, shy singer/runner-up who has a rabid fan base of middle-aged women, some of whom would jump on any perceived slight and protect their guy (some of them still do that). He’s still an amazing singer and someone who cares a great deal about others and his charity, but he also isn’t pandering to anyone.

The big surprise is that the actual person who emerged is funny, intelligent, competent, and committed—and not afraid to do or say things that could possibly alienate some fans. He didn’t shy away from conflict during the season, embraced being controlling during the final task, and earned the respect of his fellow teammates because and/or despite that. He was, above all else, honest and genuine.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

I loved it to. And what I loved most is that he painted a wonderful picture of Clay without having to tear down Arsenio. It's nice to see something positive from someone who hasn't always been that way in the past.