S12: Clay Aiken

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

207 replies to this topic

robroy

robroy

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

FWIW- I think both Clay and Lisa were going to stay in their stylistic wheelhouse on this task. Even if Dayanna had been more assertive/better at setting a theme- those two are well aware of their strengths and were going to stay with them.

One of my friends is from Benson, NC- about 40 minutes from where I think Clay grew up- and remembers him pre-Idol. He always performed in various summer theater/50s review type programs and appareently killed. If you remember him on Idol- he only sang one post 1970 cover to any decent affect. His wheelhouse is a simple arrangement and a big voice. Just as Arsenio pointed out that Aubrey's is an mainstream R&B type style.

So I think part of Clay's frustration was knowing what would suit him- doo-woppish ballad with broadway type dance line and wanting to put his best foot forward. Some of the things he's tacitly accepted the last couple of eps really disappoint me but I completely think he was stonewalling on music for his own benefit. And I'm okay with that. It gave him the ability to say a style was set and point out that in that style he absolutely delivered. Similarly Lisa works fine as a 40s style present in a 50s review of a 60s sound (credit to whoever called that out.)

If they had gone contempory in the least those two would have been fish out of water.

operasinger

operasinger

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Clay addressed the issue of hippies being late 60's in his blog and that it didn't jibe with the Franki Valley sound that Dayana ultimately chose. That being said, I think that they may have been better off doing a hippie vibe since a lot of RV owners are ageing baby boomers who would have been teenagers during that time. As to Clay's tacitly accepting Lisa's behaviour towards Dayana, the editing surely makes us think that, however, I suspect that any footage of Clay either defending Dayana or calling Lisa out was cut for the "story" and "drama." Clay also did say in the BR that while he often didn't agree with how Lisa stated her position, he agreed with what she was saying as it pertained to this particular task. Ultimately, I agree that Dayana was wrong to be PM on this task.

Edited by operasinger, May 2, 2012 @ 8:35 AM.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

She was supposed to do the brand messaging and the print work. It is a big reason why they lost. She's a moron.

Did I miss it, the part where they say that the brand messaging was the BIG reason that they lost? The shrieking from the harpy Lisa was hard to decipher what the hell was going on?

Oh, yeah, Clay was an giant douche this week, well, a couple of other weeks too, but this really highlight what a true dick looks like.

eraser

eraser

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Did I miss it, the part where they say that the brand messaging was the BIG reason that they lost?

Nobody is talking about how Dayana wasted too much of the day on the brand messaging, making them 2 hours late to rehearsal. The dancers, choreographer and backup singers were all waiting for them to show up.

Clay had 30 minutes to decide on choreography, staging and who sang what parts and to add insult to injury, Dayana kept interrupting him with stupidass suggestions, wasting what little time they had left.

Clay had every right to lose his temper when she kept getting in the way. Stupid b*tch wouldn't shut up and back off.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Stupid b*tch wouldn't shut up and back off.

Hey, this isn't a thread about "names Lisa Lampenelli calls other women"!

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Nobody is talking about how Dayana wasted too much of the day on the brand messaging, making them 2 hours late to rehearsal. The dancers, choreographer and backup singers were all waiting for them to show up.

So then, did I miss that part about branding was the MAJOR reason they lost? Because it was said that there was great energy, but the style of music was boring/off and VERY safe, the same thing Clay claimed it wouldn't be.

So to be fired: Clay/Lisa, who came up with the music style.

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

They never said the music was boring or wrong, they loved the song, they loved Clay's voice, they loved the costumes and the performance. What they thought was lacking was brand messaging and the song was safe. Not that safe is a bad thing.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

Not that safe is a bad thing.

There were two teams, one has to lose and one has to win. The one that is more exciting would win, regardless of what an individual thinks how exciting it was, the executive (also, I think Trump/producer) made that decision. So if being safe is not good, it HAS to be bad because only one team can win.

psychohamster

psychohamster

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

One team was "safe" and the other was "too edgy". They BOTH missed the mark in this regard, and as these two cancel each other out, it is unlikely that this is why Forte lost. The executives didn't like Dayana rushing the stage with no microphone, and the marketing that she was responsible for. When DJ observed their fight, he landed squarely on the side of Lisa and Clay in that argument. Dayana was fired on her own merits, not because of anything Clay or Lisa did.

clotilde

clotilde

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

I have to laugh at the Good Sam discussions...here and at other boards. The "father knows best" logo just screams edgy and not safe. :::grin::: The exec sits there with that bobble head and says "edgy." CMSU. I mean, really.

eta:

One team was "safe" and the other was "too edgy".

The only thing edgy was whether or not Aubrey's breasts would fall out. Maybe the edgy was Arsenio rapping which worked really well with the rest of that hot mess. Not.

Edited by clotilde, May 4, 2012 @ 11:23 AM.

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Maybe the edgy was Arsenio rapping which worked really well with the rest of that hot mess.

Oh come on now. You know that bobble headed mascot is all urban and shit. The boomers are all dieing to get down and shake their pom poms to that beat.

JH1982

JH1982

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

I liked the Forte presentation much better. It looked more professional. Aubrey's was a hot mess. If Dayanna would have dressed as part of the presentation, had a mic on, given a shout out to Good Sam and wrapped up the ending of the presentation with any kind of energy, I think Forte would have won. Instead, she comes out without a mic, dressed in a baggy sweater and no one could even hear what she was saying. It sucked all of the energy right out of the great presentation that the audience had just viewed.

Clay's voice kills me.

Hamhock96

Hamhock96

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

The language divide and the cultural divide were further complicated by the age divide. I wondered if Dayana wasn't speaking a slang she's heard from younger people. Anyway, the genres were so completely mixed, it's hard to know how a non-American, even one educated in the culture, would have made sense of the presentation. I noted in the show thread that live radio hailed to the forties. My Hit Parade was broadcast on televisionin the early fifties and that's mostly what Clay's team looked like. I don't recall women in groups dressed like Raggedy Ann. They wore beautiful prom gowns in that part of the sixties. It was confusing as a genre piece. It was a clever piece of pastiche, but the only sixties it conveyed was the dull part of Grease, which had, in the good part, greasers who were mimicking Marlon Brando and James Dean from the fifties. That cultural melting pot is hard for anyone born later than, say 1955, but the entire acceptance of the piece as sixties is ridiculous.

Why radio? Why not television or even webcast? Television would have been more appropriate for the era they supposedly chose. The microphones were from the forties and the hairdos -- well it did not make sense as "sixties," just a pastiche of familiarity like the flag and the anthem with the only hint of sex in Clay's performance, alpha male with beautiful women echoing his every word. Yeah, that part was early sixties.

Edited by Hamhock96, May 5, 2012 @ 11:37 AM.

hatchlynn

hatchlynn

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

Its his EARLIER comments about her, which set the tone. In the Talking Heads, we heard him clearly draw comparisons between her and the Special Ed. kids he's worked with. Oh sure, he didn't say that directly, but it was definitely implied.

He didn't say it directly, neither did he say it at all.
I've seen this mentioned about 100 times now but repetition does not make it true.

We learn patience any one of a million ways- Clay's way was by teaching.
He used the example of teaching as the genesis of his patience.
That's the only reference he made to teaching- that it taught him how to be a patient man.
Often we infer random things because of something in our own history but that does not mean that he implied anything.
I heard it as an example of how he learned to be patient then a comment about drawing on that patience.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

I think by now we've all read the transcript of what Clay said. Some people interpreted it as Clay saying he has a lot of patience, and that's what he needs to deal with Dayana. Some people interpreted it as Clay comparing Dayana to someone with special needs.

UNLESS YOU ARE CLAY, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHICH INTERPRETATION IS CORRECT.

So let's drop it unless you have a link to an interview where Clay clarified his statement further.

Starstruck

Starstruck

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Anybody else think Clay is the next one to get canned?

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

Nope, it's much more dramatic if it's Aubrey versus Clay, since they went up against each other twice with each winning one of them. It makes it more dramatic if they go up again for the 3rd AND FINAL TIME!!! To see who gets the title since they balance each other out with one win.

If anyone is nervous, I think it's Arsenio.

Travid

Travid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

No, Clay is safe, I think he is the only one that is a lock for final 2. Arsenio and Aubrey are in jeopardy.

xphile101

xphile101

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

If you look at the promo for next week, Trump says "You're fired" and looks and points to the right, which indicates Clay, as that was where he was sitting for the final verdict.

However, would they be crazy enough to give it away like that?

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

I don't notice these things but someone said Trump had on a different outfit in the clip and apparantly the show will pick up where it left off.

Edited by angelita100, May 7, 2012 @ 8:48 AM.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

If you look at the promo for next week, Trump says "You're fired" and looks and points to the right, which indicates Clay, as that was where he was sitting for the final verdict.

I immediately thought that too but later I thought it was just a different clip. Then when Clay was tweeting last night, I could have sworn he made a reference to look closely at the previews and he followed it with a sad face. I wonder if he was trying to be funny like Lisa and he did with Aubrey and Arsenio.

link

Edited by Crucial, May 7, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

From the general gab thread:

Clay was a special needs teacher

I'm confused. My understanding is that Clay graduated from college after AI2. When and for how long was he able to be a certified Special Education teacher, managing an actual classroom? I don't feel student-teaching while in college warrants the implication that he was a full-time Sp.Ed. teacher. Same with him privately looking after one child while studying the field. Which is my knowledge of his "teaching" experience.

GBB

GBB

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

Clay was a permanent sub for a special needs classroom when the regular teacher had to leave mid-year. He was the sole teacher for the kids even though he didn't have his degree yet. He also worked directly with a family as a care-giver/teacher for their autistic son for 2 or 3 years while he was in college.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I'm confused. My understanding is that Clay graduated from college after AI2. When and for how long was he able to be a certified Special Education teacher, managing an actual classroom? I don't feel student-teaching while in college warrants the implication that he was a full-time Sp.Ed. teacher. Same with him privately looking after one child while studying the field. Which is my knowledge of his "teaching" experience.

I think the term "teacher" was/is used quite loosely where Clay is concerned .... kind of like a person who teaches pre-school vs. K-12. No education or license required but a teacher for all practical purposes. Clay did teach special needs kids but he didn't have a degree or license.

However, would they be crazy enough to give it away like that?

Trump is wearing a pink tie in last night's episode - the one in which Lisa got the heave-ho. He is wearing a silver tie in the promos. They are showing us teaser footage.

Edited by Jextella, May 7, 2012 @ 8:04 PM.

Koffee Kup

Koffee Kup

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Clay did teach special needs kids but he didn't have a degree or license.

A degree is not required to substitute teach in NC. Whether or not he had either at the time, he was a teacher in a special-ed classroom in an elementary school and he does have a degree in special-ed.

heydude08

heydude08

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

I'd like to see Clay win it all. Some of the things he has done during the show turned me off a bit (being bitchy and laughing at Theresa being bested in the negotiations, are a couple examples) but I think he is pretty sharp, and less irritating than Aubrey!.

COESpiral

COESpiral

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I think Clay's done a great job and I hope he wins it all. If not, I'll be begging for Arsenio to take it. If Aubrey wins, I'll hurl something through my TV. I really, really, *really* can't stand her.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Clay's educational background is off-topic since it has nothing to do with his performance on the show. Drop it, please.

xphile101

xphile101

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

Trump is wearing a pink tie in last night's episode - the one in which Lisa got the heave-ho. He is wearing a silver tie in the promos. They are showing us teaser footage.

I had figured they were doing something like that, however I couldn't get the promo to play on any computer that I attempted yesterday, so I couldn't confirm. Thanks.

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I re-ran the episode, and Trump looks toward his right and then he looks left/front.