Lilyhammer: Silvio with a Dragon Tattoo

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Premiering on Netflix in February 2012, and starring Steven Van Zandt as a mob figure who goes into witness protection in Lillehammer, Norway.

Official Site and Trailer.

Looks like they're going for a cross between The Sopranos (obviously) and Fargo, with both a cold-weather location and offbeat (but probably uber-competent) sheriff.

Also, I suspect the Norwegian authorities will be a little unused to the mafia's...uncouthness?

Interesting that after publicly saying (during the extended Sopranos wind-down) he wasn't interested in acting again, Van Zandt comes back in not only a starring role, but playing a Silvio-like gangster at that.

Edited by Raider Duck, Jan 4, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

Silje

Silje

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

The US is actually getting the show before it premieres here in Norway. It was scheduled to start on New Year's Day but it's been postponed (worst-case scenario: it can't be shown in Norway) due to some illegal product placement.

I'm looking forward to the show, the bit in the trailer where he walks after the sheep, "where you goin'?", gets my mood up every time I see it.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

So, I generally liked it. I even laughed out loud a couple of times. Based on the end of episode one, I also like the fact that things won't be plain sailing for Frank/Giovanni w/his new identity. The locals are fun, and not annoying, which was what I'd feared. I did wonder where Giovanni was getting all his money from. Did the FBI set him up with a lot of start-up funds? I wasn't clear on that.

Am not sure if I will watch the rest of the season this weekend, or dole out the episodes here and there.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

I did wonder where Giovanni was getting all his money from. Did the FBI set him up with a lot of start-up funds? I wasn't clear on that.

While the Feds are undoubtedly sending him a monthly allowance, most of the cash he snuck over in his bulletproof vest and then hid in his freezer, William Jefferson-style.

Watched two episodes so far. It's fun. Supposedly David Chase, at one point, was considering Van Zandt to play Tony Soprano in a more comedy-oriented show than what The Sopranos eventually became. It almost feels like we're getting a look at that here. The two obviously left on good terms, because Frank/Johnny is Silvio in all but name, right down to running a nightclub. Chase could probably sue, were he so inclined.

Also, the beginning of Episode One felt like a direct shout-out to the late 70s/early 80s Gambino family: The elderly patriarch (Carlo Gambino) dies, but instead of passing the crown on to the respected street boss (Neil Dellacroce), gives it to his brother-in-law (Paul Castellano), the businessman everyone considers a prissy bean-counter.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

While the Feds are undoubtedly sending him a monthly allowance, most of the cash he snuck over in his bulletproof vest and then hid in his freezer, William Jefferson-style.

Thanks, RaiderDuck. I'd completely forgotten about that.

I'm curious what type of reception the show has gotten in Norway.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

According to Wikipedia, the premiere was watched by a full 1/5 of Norway's entire population.

Polyglot

Polyglot

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

According to Wikipedia, the premiere was watched by a full 1/5 of Norway's entire population.

And the second episode had even more viewers, even if it's on opposite both The Mentalist, and CSI:NY, which are both fairly popular here in Norway.

It's an okay way of passing the time, but I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. It's supposed to be a comedy, but I feel like I'm just sitting there, waiting for something funny to happen, but it never quite does. It's missing something, that last piece of the puzzle, that will make it great. Right now, it's simply not quite there.
But, we're only 2 episodes in, so things may change (for better, or worse...)over the remaining 6 episodes. And there will also be a second season.

starleen

starleen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Really? Not very many comments here. I loved it! Yes, derivative of Sopranos, but such a unique setting--I'll take it! I love the juxtaposition between Frank and the uber cheerful Norwegians. Their social culture fascinates me. I greedily watched all 8 episodes, and I'm hungry for more!

PostModem

PostModem

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I, for one, wanted to wait until I got through all eight episodes before checking other people reactions in order to avoid spoilers.

I liked the show too. Nothing ground breaking and mostly predictable, but fun. It was fairly obvious that the mob would find Frank and that his girlfriend would't put up with his shenanigans for very long, but it was still a fun ride getting there.

Having most of the dialog be subtitled didn't bug me as much as I thought it would either, though I did have to pay more direct attention than I do for most other shows.

Also, I'm totally digging in Arne and I was glad when they didn't kill him off.

starleen

starleen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Loving Torgier and Jan. Really, all of them. The police lady and her baking! The "prison", the troll amusement park. Hee! Can't wait to see Jan at his new job! And are we sure those twins are Giovanni's?

fayster

fayster

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Count me in. We're through 5 episodes and enjoying it. The fish-out-of-water angle is enough right now to make it humorous. It starts to veer towards over-the-top but then comes back, at least so far. We've just seen the end of Geir which was unexpected and not sure where it will go from there. Loved Johnny/VZ singing at the end of this episode. He's a lot easier to like than Tony Soprano but no angel. Supporting cast is enjoyable.

It's not like I have so many shows to watch that I can't squeeze this one in. And the advantage of the sub-titles is that my somewhat hearing-impaired spouse never asks me "what'd they say?" Given the choice between this and the Swedish-inspired "The Killing", this one wins hands-down.

The question is how to discuss it in this forum when it comes out all at once? There's not that week-long lag time to chew the fat, speculate on the minute details or gaps in the writing. Hmmm...maybe that's a good thing?

mike3121

mike3121

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Great show but yes it's in between funny and serious. Because of that I feel it may fall flat. I'm originally from Michigan (lot's of snow and ice). I really like the forest scenes when they were looking for the wolf. Reminded me of Michigan when I was a kid. All the shades of blue. Now I live in the Pacific North West. Lot's of beautiful scenery but no snow.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

Season Two is currently filming. Paul Kaye from Game of Thrones is joining the cast.

Hal9000

Hal9000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 9:00 AM

On twitter, Maureen Van Zandt mentioned she will be in an episode os S2.

Silje

Silje

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

The second season will start streaming on Netflix December 13. The article also have a trailer for the new season that may be a bit NSFW.   

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

Three episodes into Season Two: The Godfather-like opening to Episode 1 was a riot, as was the intro to Ep 3 (with the motorized wheelchair). It's getting more Sopranos-like with the musical outros and whatnot, which leads me to suspect SVZ had input this time around.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

Show seems to have been overshadowed by House of Cards and other Netflix original series.

But it's a more lighthearted show with Sopranos-like characters?

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Yeah ... this show is tedious ... but 104 was the bomb ... lots of good laughs at the expense of a socially "ideal" culture.

Speaking of "The Midwife," I wonder if Gyp Rosetti read Giovanni Hendrickson's primer on women.  Poor old Gyp was short-sheeted.

Johnny is an apt and non-bullshitting mentor to Jonas ... oopha!!!

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

105:  Oh snap ... they killed off Gear Elvis ... and just as he was settling in with the darling LewShawna.

They were so cute walking arm in arm together down the street.

Dang girl ... laughing so hard when she threw that pu~n~o!!!

PostModem

PostModem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

I'm working my way through a re-watch of season 2 and I like it as much or even a bit more than season 1.

I thought it was interesting that they both followed a kind of three act progression (Season 1: Frank acclimating to Norway, Geir thinking Frank is a terrorist, the Mafia finding Frank in Lilyhammer; Season 2: The British Gangsters, the Bieber-Heist and then finally closing out the Mafia storyline).

I was glad to see that Arne and Roy of the Angry Polar Bear Motorcycle Club were still around. Arne, as adorkable as ever and Roy with his slipped disc and "rehab".

I was somewhat disappointed that most of the female characters don't really get to do much, with the exception of the new Chief of Police (and I'll miss Laila who seems to have been shuffled off to be an author). Everyone else is really only around as someone's significant other or mom, which is disappointing. Hell, even the girl twin (who's name I can't remember. Bjorg?) doesn't get nearly as much to do as her brother. Though this isn't surprising for a "gangster" show.

Speaking of women, I really didn't like the Jan/Randi storyline. Jan has always been really creep-tastic and fairly incompetent and due to Frank's connections, mostly gets aways with (accidentally) killing Randi. Sure, he has to leave the country, but we don't actually get to see any real consequences for him. And poor Randi, who actually was a decent person and interesting character, gets bumped off so that Jan can have angst.

What ever happened to Sigrid's older son? He was pretty prominent in season 1, almost an adoptive son to Frank, but was nowhere to be seen this season, not even at the twin's baptism. Did I miss a line where he's discussed being off living with his dad or something?

Edited by PostModem, Dec 22, 2013 @ 2:07 PM.

Mr Basset

Mr Basset

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

Speaking of women, I really didn't like the Jan/Randi storyline. Jan has always been really creep-tastic and fairly incompetent and due to Frank's connections, mostly gets aways with (accidentally) killing Randi. Sure, he has to leave the country, but we don't actually get to see any real consequences for him. And poor Randi, who actually was a decent person and interesting character, gets bumped off so that Jan can have angst.

I think having to move to Iraq is a severely negative consequence and much more than just having to leave the country.

PostModem

PostModem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Perhaps, but we don't actually get to see it (maybe if there is a season three, but I'd be surprised). In fact, his successfully bribing of the official seems to indicate that he'll end up doing rather well, with everything he's learned from Frank.

He gets to take off and apparently hasn't learned anything. The last thing we see him do is enthusiastically chatting up women he doesn't know.

Edited by PostModem, Dec 25, 2013 @ 12:15 PM.

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

Sometimes Sigrid looks just like Drew, especially when she smiles. 

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

Just binged this series coincidentally after re watching my favorite Sopranos episodes. S2E8 (season 2 finale) had many Soprano references..the actual title song, the appearance of Tony Siroco and Maureen Van Zandt among others. I was especially shocked to see "Paulie" playing a priest!

Glad to find this thread...I did a search on Lilyhammer but came up empty handed.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

I`ve watched both seasons and really enjoyed it.  It makes me laugh more than I expected.  I have a Norwegian background so I enjoy that part of the show. 

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

African salad ... harph ... that was funny.

Oh lord ... the lactation fetishist ... "Wait, did you just drink my milk?"

This show has become so laffo.

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

I have a hunch that the new sheriff is some kind of law and order ladyboy freak ... BUT DON'T TELL ME!!!

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

Oh man ... this sounds like so much fun!!!

Khat chewing usually takes place in groups in a social setting. Only a minority frequently chew alone. A session may last for several hours. During this time chewers drink copious amounts of non-alcoholic fluids such as cola, tea and cold water. In a khat chewing session, initially there is an atmosphere of cheerfulness, optimism and a general sense of well-being. After about 2 hours, tension, emotional instability and irritability begin to appear, later leading to feelings of low mood and sluggishness. Chewers tend to leave the session feeling depleted.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

I participated in a Netflix survey, which I assumed would give me an opportunity to tell them it's shitty that they never have any movies I want to watch or even determine what I do watch and enjoy.  Instead, it was roughly 150 questions, coming at it from different directions--It would literally say, "Now for a different sort of question," only it wasn't--trying to find out if I knew what Lilyhammer was, if I watched it, or if I could ever be induced to watch it.  What an odd/interesting exercise I must say.

I hate all mob shows, and equally loathe all those 'edgy' and trendy shows that examine the thrill of middle class white people getting pulled into lives of  crime; Weeds, Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black.  And Kevin Spacey gives me the creeps.  So I had to tell them, nope, don't watch any of your original programming, and yes, I see your damn banner ad for Lilyhammer every time I log on and can you make it go away, like now?  God, I can't even stand Bruce Springsteen, so Van Zandt is off my list too!  When they finally sadly asked, "But whhhhhyyyyy don't you want to watch Lilyhammer?" I got to fill in, Other: "Because it looks stupid." 

Then I felt sort of bad, knowing that hard-working production people's livelihoods rest on that show staying on the air.  So just to warn you faithful viewers, I got a definite sense of panic from the questionnaire and it was aimed at this show.  

FataM

FataM

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2014 @ 6:40 AM

Hello ... hi!!!

Jan just bludgeoned Randi to death.

Hello ... hi!!!

Edited by FataM, Jan 5, 2014 @ 6:41 AM.