Jane By Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

216 replies to this topic

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

What is SLAT?

The ever horrible (The)Secret Life of the American Teenager.

diamondheadguy

diamondheadguy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Not overt, but just one of those remove the glasses, take down the hair "Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!" moments.

naneki78...anyone who makes a Blinded Me With Science reference can sit at my table at lunch anytime.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

In case anyone cares, here are spoilers for the first three episodes

Spoiler

Seems like Jane is still a Mary Sue where everyone who meets her is infatuated with her.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

http://www.tvfanatic...direct-episode/

Spoiler

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Sigh. Yes Jane is a Mary Sue that everybody wants. It's bad when you hate the lead character on a show.

Spoiler
After that I'm 98% sure that I'm done with this show. They took the best part, IMO Billy and Lulu, and ruined them for an infatuation with Jane that was never apparent to me. The writers must have realized this as they had to have Billy's convict brother exposition to the audience that Billy was in love with Jane and not just the best friend that she took way too much advantage of.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Wow. Shuddering a bit at that casting spoiler from Humbugged. That doesn't sound good, IMO. I think we will be getting a lot of overwrought and predictable stuff, especially with a 4 episode cap pushing an endgame.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Season 1 Episode 11 Synopsis

Spoiler

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Lulu is no longer a regular but will be guest starring in at least one episode; everyone else is back as a regular.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I'll be watching for Ben and Rita. As long as the show keeps them together, I'm probably hooked. They're adorable.

Billy is adorable as well, but I'm unnerved by that idiotic turn toward the romantic with Jane.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

I've barely seen any promotion for the show's comeback, and the only 30 second ad I've seen has also been for the DVD set. And I watch lots of ABC Family and have seen several different ads for Pretty Little Liars, Melissa and Joey, Bunheads and Baby Daddy.

I don't watch the network 24/7, however, so . . . am I wrong? Is the network advertising the show in a significant way and I'm missing it somehow?

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

I agree. Almost no promotion for this show, especially compared to the other returning shows. This signifies to me that unless Jane gets spectacular ratings (which it won't get) these will be the final 8 episodes of this series. Much like Make It or Break it, the 8 episodes instead of 10 means they were willing to let them wrap up the show but not willing to give them the full 10 to do it. I'm willing to bet that the creator won't wrap it up properly like they should either.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Lulu isn't listed as a regular in the next batch of episodes? Well, that sucks big time because hers and Billy's romance is the best thing on the show so far. It just started airing over here and I was really excited that they managed to make her non-bitchy for a change. I don't think I will even bother to watch the rest of the show.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

I agree that there's NO promotion, but would you really stunt cast the mother if you were just going to kill the show?

Spoiler

This show is like Entourage for tweens and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I agree that there's NO promotion, but would you really stunt cast the mother if you were just going to kill the show?

Teri probably has some sort of deal with ABC and seeing as ABC Family is part of ABC.... It also probably he lped that they let her direct an episode. The show runner wants another season so she's going all out. I don't think that it will help as Teri is not in the fan demo that this show needs in order to get an additional season. Like I said before, If ABC Family had any sort of faith in this show it would have gotten a 10 episode order not 8. The only other shows to ever get 8 instead of at least 10 were Make It or Break It and The Lying Game. Both were on the bubble and were lucky to get 8 more episodes instead of being outright cancelled like Chloe King was. Granted Chloe's ratings were abysmal. Make It or Break It was cancelled and I'm sure that The Lying Game will follow as will Jane. No show has ever picked up more viewers after the first half of a season has run except for The Secret Life. I really don't see Jane doing it, viewership will go down,thus there will be no second season. Bunheads looks like it will do well and I'm sure the network has numerous other shows in development.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

Teri is the mother? I thought for certain that it was Gray i.e. Andie M's character.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I'm finally seeing an ad for the show on ABC Family. And Teri Hatcher is prominently featured, even though she doesn't arrive for several weeks.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Teri Hatcher

YUCK!

Seriously, never saw her in anything other than those lousy T-mobile commercials and DH and honestly, the woman cannot.act. I hate this stunt casting so much. The spoilers don't really have me on the edge of my seat waiting for new epis at all. Bummer, was a cute show. I didn't even mind the whole Mary Sue-ishness of the lead but having Billy be in love with her was dumb and TH for that part? Even worse. Bummer.

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Just saw tonight's new episode, much to my surprise. If my DVR wasn't set to record new episodes I would have missed it! Not that it was a terribly interesting episode.

Edited by Phred62, Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:29 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Just saw tonight's new episode, much to my surprise. If my DVR wasn't set to record new episodes I would have missed it! Not that it was a terribly interesting episode.

Right? I had no idea it was on tonight. The episode was ok. But really I think I enjoyed it mostly for the Ben and Rita stuff. Also Billy walking in on Rita trying to make breakfast was cliche, but funny.

I will say that they withdrew Billy and Jane crap as much as possible under the circumstances. But they put it out there and it can never be totally fixed.

I like the new guy. But please Show, do not have him fall for Jane. Not only is he also too old for her, but the show has played that card too much already. Jane is cute, but she isn't an f'ing unicorn.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:34 AM

I agree with the show being seriously kept under the radar. I didn't see not one promo for it's return, I don't think that's the greatest sign considering all the promos I see for Bunheads and PLL.

Anyway I liked the episode. I actually don't hate Billy and Jane together any more, I think it must have been seeing Lulu and Nick actually together as a couple. It kind of disgusted me that they both tried to get back with Jane and Billy respectively while still together. I think I was way more irritated by the fact that Billy took it all back and the fact that in these kinds of situations, the friend can't see that the other friend is obviously into exploring something more relationship wise. If Jane didn't want to go there she wouldn't have kept asking you about it, Billy. I know it's supposed to be angsty or whatever but it could be solved with a honest two minute conversation.

I'm glad that Jane sees that a relationship with Jeremy would be ill advised and I am still down on him because he obviously is still ok to let India take the fall for his misdeeds. I really missed her and I am glad that she has the upper hand with Gray for once. I would like to see her and Jane be frenemies once again, maybe once Jane finds out that Inida was actually telling the truth about her innocence.

The new guy is ok but I am so distracted by how alike Jane, Gray, and Eli look. Eli looks more like Jane's brother than Ben does. I agree with hoping that Eli is not going to be another love interest for Jane.

Am I the only one still bothered by Jane's need to change her clothes before work? They look exactly like her school clothes. Why not save herself the time and pick one or the other?

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Am I the only one still bothered by Jane's need to change her clothes before work? They look exactly like her school clothes. Why not save herself the time and pick one or the other?

I agree that it is stupid in that the work clothes are only marginally more dressy and absolutely no more quirky and noticeable on a teenager at school than her school clothes. However, in the hierarchy of ridiculous conceits of this show, it ranks relatively low for me.

Forgot to mention how pleased I was to see India. She is awesome and I want for her to find out it was Jermey that was the mole so she knows he left her twisting in the wind. DICK. I forgot how much that pissed me off until you mentioned it again blugirlami21.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Your welcome? Lol, yeah, in this episode he acted like nothing happened. He doesn't even seem to feel bad that India got fired but that's not really so surprising considering how he treated her during their "relationship."

LadyErin

LadyErin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

yeah, in this episode he acted like nothing happened. He doesn't even seem to feel bad that India got fired but that's not really so surprising considering how he treated her during their "relationship."

Jeremy DOESN'T feel bad, imo. He didn't quit being the mole because of guilt, if that had been the case eh would have quit the minute India was gone. He quit after realizing that he loved the business again (after seeing it through Jane's eyes). It was all about him. So I think you're right on target with this!

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

I agree with the show being seriously kept under the radar. I didn't see not one promo for it's return, I don't think that's the greatest sign considering all the promos I see for Bunheads and PLL.

I didn't know either and likely why I just watched it on Hulu.

I have to say I think I am out. It seemed like they just pulled the same thing they did last year. Jane being in a predicament because they have to rush around hiding things -- enough already.

I am already starting to watch and wondering how Billy does it. I mean he is in high school and his only *friend* is like a ghost. She is never around for him, and if he wants to talk it is always about that stupid job. God I am bored with it... how does Billy maintain an interest? I don't know that I see how they maintain a friendship because it seems they have nothing in common anymore.

Ben and Rita are adorable but even they got dragged into Jane *hi jinks* this week. I kind of liked them having their own story last season.

I don't like Eli and I do think he is a love interest and that annoys me.

LadyErin

LadyErin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I know a lot of people dislike Jane on this board, but I enjoy the character. She screws up, she doesn't always do the right thing but at the end of the day, she's a decent person (although a little self-absorbed). So while men seem to just magically think she's hot stuff, she's still interesting and not-perfect, so I enjoy her.

I think that really showed today when she didn't interrupt Billy with the new girl (who I like way more than Lu already). She went to her brother who sat alone instead, and I thought that was a cool best-friend thing to do.

breck

breck

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

So long as the cooling of the Ben/Rita relationship is merely temporary, tonight's episode was dramatically better than last week's exasperatingly weak effort. I like the new relationship interests that the writers appear to be planning for Jane and Billy. Throughout the original run, I found India to be one of the more complex and interesting characters ... much more interesting than the one note Gray. Thus, I am glad to see that she will apparently be the main foil for Jane ... in this role, India brings much more to the table than Lulu.

LadyErin

LadyErin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

I found India to be one of the more complex and interesting characters ... much more interesting than the one note Gray.

I agree. I found her very compelling in this episode too.

I definitely think today's ep was way faster-paced and better than last week's. I hope next week is just as fast paced, and it looks like it might be.

Some thoughts about the whole show

I absolutely love Ben. His talk with Billy was wonderful, and Billy really needed to hear it. I wish Billy could just move in with them and they could be a little family. I love him with Rita, and I was crushed when she broke up with him. I get why she did it, but poor Ben :( I hope they get back together soon.

I like Eli, the actor is cute and he seems to know how to act- bonus! I like him as an interest for Jane more than Jeremy, certainly.

India coming back for revenge is awesome, but her not wanting revenge against Jeremy is fishy. I hope she's lying, and she really wants to take him down too, for not standing up for her more.

I still love the Billy/Jane friendship and possibility of it being something more, but I ma glad they are taking the romance out for now and rebooting it. If the show continued they can eventually go there. It is way too early, imo, and if they started it now then it would take the satisfaction of getting it, I want their connection to be slow and meaningful.

As a whole, this episode was good and I enjoyed the pacing. I hope they can keep it up. I also hope they advertise it a little more.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I still love the Billy/Jane friendship and possibility of it being something more, but I ma glad they are taking the romance out for now and rebooting it. If the show continued they can eventually go there. It is way too early, imo, and if they started it now then it would take the satisfaction of getting it, I want their connection to be slow and meaningful.

Unfortunately for them, by stupidly going there in the mid-season finale, they lost some viewers, at least they lost me and considering they weren't exactly getting Pretty Little Liars or even Secret Life numbers in the first place, not looking too good for them at all. Of course, Make It or Break It hung around a lot longer than I thought it would so you never know.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

I was really irked by everyone during this episode, even or should I say especially Jane, which never happens. She really bothered me with her level of selfishness. If this was the first time that she let fame or her work come before friends and family I think I would give her a pass like I usually do but this isn't her first time at the rodeo. She more than anyone should know that Billy is having a more than usual hard time of it. She said she missed him but she never pushes hard enough to get pass the walls that he has put up to show it or have him acknowledge her effort.

I am so irritated that Eli is into Jane too. This is turning into a bad reverse harem anime. Jane is beautiful but to have four guys all want her one after the other and concurrently is a bit much. It's just beyond belief at this point.

I was not happy with the Billy/Jane romance at first but you can't introduce it out of nowhere, let us stew about it during the winter and then act like it didn't happen. Don't even get me started on this convenient new, just Billy's type kind of girl that happened to be in the right place at the right time. Billy sucks too.

India got on my nerves too. You're not mad at the guy who made you lose your dream job but at the girl who actually had your back a time or two? Gray I understand but to want to get revenge on Jane and Gray is so juvenile. I also feel like it's beneath her at this point. She has a great new job, obviously the respect that she deserves there as well and she's willing to give all that up to get back at people who are basically working under you at the moment? I wish I could say that I know Jeremy will be the bigger person and not try to save his own ass but we all know that's not true.

Last but not least Rita. Rita has bothered me for quite a while to be honest. I never liked that she was so embarrassed by Ben's interest in her. By the two of them being known as a couple to the everyday public. I could understand her not wanting her colleagues to know but I can't even see her really wanting the people outside of work knowing. She was so uncomfortable during the cemetery movie, it was hard to watch. How slow are they supposed to be going? How much slower can their relationship move? I think they are cute sometimes but I would rather Ben be with someone who would welcome a grand gesture rather than hide it away.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I hated tonight's episode *so much* that I found myself actually pausing the show, so I could fast forward without having to listen to it.. I just knew within minutes of Billy & Ben discussing the secret party that her work people would realize/be told that 'today' was her birthday and do something causing her miss their party. It went down hill from there and then even though I knew TH was going to show up, I actually hated it more than I thought I would. Though at least TH is looking more her age here but that is about the nicest thing I can say about her, still can't act, that's for sure.

I watched the entire first season in over the course of a few days and found it charming. I cant stand this season so far.