The Mortified Sessions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

19 replies to this topic

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Dave sits down for interviews with stars and brings along boxes containing their childhood memorablia. His working theory seems to be that if you haul out old stuff that they saved, you'll elicit either tears or funny lines, which doesn't always work out as planned. There are plenty of old photos featuring the hideous clothing of whatever decade they grew up in, along with juicy readings from long forgotten diaries. Sometimes the celebrities will even volunteer a song or two. Personally, I think the awkward early prom photos are my favorites, especially when accompanied by reminiscences of what that particular dance was like and what their date's name was.

I figure Dave got into this by delving far too deeply into his own early years.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Seriously? Not one other person watches this show?

I'm really liking it and looking forward to each new episode. The absolute best one was when they had an entire hour of Ricky Schroeder reducing himself to tears every five minutes and having to walk off camera for extended periods to compose himself. That was priceless. And unscripted, because the look on Dave's face every time Ricky ran off was certainly beyond his acting ability as host.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I watch it, but don't have anything to post about, save for I wonder how they decide who's interesting enough to get a full episode to him/herself, and who has to share.

Also, I think Jennifer Grey is a little crazy.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

I'm curious now. Out of all the combatants, why is Jennifer a little crazier than any of the others? I would probably nominate her father if he had been on.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

• Interests:I think there's something degrading about having a wife for a rival. If you fail, it's humiliating; if you succeed, it's commonplace.-Christopher Hampton, paraphrased

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

I watch it, but don't have anything to post about, save for I wonder how they decide who's interesting enough to get a full episode to him/herself, and who has to share.

I'm not sure, either, braggtastic, but Ricky Schroeder got his own episode and it was frustrating as hell to watch him keep breaking down and walking away every five minutes. I had the thought, "God damn it, pull yourself together!" I mean, come now: they show him a photo of himself as a boy, cry, walk away. He comes back 30 minutes later (!), and now that the host knows he can make RS break down, "Okay, now take a long look at this picture, and tell me what you feel." RS, breaks down, walks away again. This happened about four times, only once or twice did RS stay there to collect himself.

So, I submit that Ricky Schroeder is a little crazier than Jennifer Grey.

Cheryl Hines, who admitted she spit in a date's drink, so they'd "share germs", is a really poor runner-up in the crazy contest, just by what's revealed on this show.( WTF, btw??)

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Seriously? Not one other person watches this show?

I watch! I just didn't see this thread.

I'm really looking forward to the next one -- Bryan Cranston and Danny Pudi.

I've basically liked all of them -- Oh, but I did FF thru Monique's. I just don't care about her. I thought Eric Stonestreet's was very interesting. My favorite was Megan Mullaly and Nick Swanson's. That was fun and hilarious. Ricky Schroeder's was kind of strange. Besides he's tendency to cry a lot, he seemed stiff or lacking a sense of fun. Something like that.

I do enjoy this show, but who is the host? I've never seen him before.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I am not familiar with this show. I don't even know where to look - what channel and or time it is on.

I get a lot of channels but it just might not be offered in Canada.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

It's on the Sundance Channel. The show is repeated several times during the week (different eps), but the new eps airs Monday night. Here's their website.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Thanks. Nope not available in Canada - well Eastern parts. Maybe out West.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

My favorite was Megan Mullaly and Nick Swanson's.

Ooo, that was insane. They just riffed so well off each other. Then I couldn't quite understand what the bit about the age difference was, and I still don't know how many years apart they are. I would adore having dinner with those two in real life.

I also liked Leah Thompson, even if she did tear up a bit towards the end. She was just sooo sincere, but I found that oddly endearing while still coming off pretty humorously. I mean, the poor girl had planned her life around being a ballerina for god's sake.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Oopsie. I conflated Nick Offerman and Ron Swanson to get Nick Swanson. Anywho...

Megan is 12 years older than Nick.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I didn't realize it before, but I now offically love Danny Pudi. What a hell of a story and what a charming storyteller! Who knew he thinks of himself as Polish? Plus I felt his explanation of being a child of immigrant parents and grandparents was spot on, right down to the Polish folk dancing lessons and rap ditty. He seemed so very relaxed and spontaneous while spouting squirrelly intimate questions he's asked himself. Excellent interview -- one of my favorites.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

That was excellent. It was interesting hearing how growing up people always assumed he and his siblings were adopted. Seems like they all handled it fine. Loved his Polish rap. Loved his stories about acting out in school. Sucking his own toes!

And Bryan Cranston. Who knew he had been such a horndog.

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

And Bryan Cranston. Who knew he had been such a horndog.

It was the Days of Free Love, baabeee! Did anyone else think Dave was just a trifle jealous? Bryan put a nice comic spin on his years of indiscriminate behavior with a soupcon of self-mockery.

RoisterDoister

RoisterDoister

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I liked the one with Gillian Jacobs from Community. She's such a beautiful woman - who would have guessed she was such a nerd in school? I was a big nerd, too, so I'm not judging!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Didn't this show used to be an hour? Now it's a half hour and with commercials and repeated teasers they show going into commercials removed, it's probably ten minutes per participant when they split a show. To me that's not nearly enough time. They need to show more items and really delve into them. I'm a dedicated listener of WTF & know that Maron has a huge amount of things from his past. I guess they were in his backyard, but I wanted them to be in his garage, because it's supposedly chock full of his belonging.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I think it was always a half-hour.

I don't like when they do two people in one show.

I really enjoyed Gillian's segment. Marc Maron seemed a bit at odds with the host. Maybe that's how he is in his standup, but I felt like they weren't really in sync as to when he was joking or serious. Interesting guy, though.

pigapoo

pigapoo

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I'm a dedicated listener of WTF & know that Maron has a huge amount of things from his past. I guess they were in his backyard, but I wanted them to be in his garage, because it's supposedly chock full of his belonging.

Too bad he didn't get a full show. Here's someone with an interesting childhood and life, who's self-aware, taken his knocks and gained some wisdom from it. He's also funny. And he gets a measly fifteen minutes.

Gillian Jacobs was great too. What an awesome dork she was! She's another one who should have gotten a full show.

Then we had a full show of Busy Phillips, who just came across as a typical attention-starved actress. She alluded to some sort of sexual assault as a teen, but most of her issues seemed to be standard teenage girl angst. Its not like she was listening to Supreme Court sessions. Honestly, I felt sorry for her mother. She seemed like kind of an asshole as a teen, without any reason to be one.

Edited by pigapoo, Oct 18, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

Marc Maron seemed a bit at odds with the host. Maybe that's how he is in his standup, but I felt like they weren't really in sync as to when he was joking or serious. Interesting guy, though.

That's how he is in life.

If you want to see Marc's garage you can see it in (and his house) in Morgan Spurlock's A Day in the Life on Hulu.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

Just watched the ep with Tig Notaro and Jason Ritter. Tig should have had the whole half hour to herself. She's had an interesting life, and she talks about it intelligently.

I thought Jason was ok. He seems like a nice guy. The biggest thing I took away from his segment is that he looks like both his father and mother. Ever since I became aware of him I noticed -- like everyone else -- how much he looked like his dad, but esp seeing pictures from his youth, I see his mother's features so clearly.