Dallas: An 80s Classic is Brought Back

• Please log in to reply

3794 replies to this topic

Happyshooter

Happyshooter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

I just saw the extended ad for the show starting summer 12. Bobby and JR seem to anchor the show, with JR being chair bound. The rest of the cast looks to be pretty standard TNT pretty mid-20s.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

A few months back I was poking around the net and came across the Dallas site. I can not believe they are bringing the show back. Good luck to them. I wasted five years of my life following Dallas in the early eighties.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Looks like Linda Grey, Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaly are back also

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

I am looking forward to this. I watched Dallas, Dynasty (which was called "Denver Clan" in Germany) and Falcon Crest as a child. I remember we got all the episodes much later than the original air dates. I had to wait like forever to find out who shot JR.

All those formative years spent watching badly dubbed American nighttime soaps. Good times.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

I am looking forward to this. I watched Dallas, Dynasty (which was called "Denver Clan" in Germany) and Falcon Crest as a child. I remember we got all the episodes much later than the original air dates. I had to wait like forever to find out who shot JR.

All those formative years spent watching badly dubbed American nighttime soaps. Good times.

The first four years of Falcon Crest were gold. My Ana Alicia oh how I was in love with that woman and her looks.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Did the fact that they were in the oil industry figure into the original series? Or was it just a background for how they became so rich?

You wonder if the oil industry connections or being rich in economically difficult times will play well right now.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Don't soap operas and other escapist fare usually do pretty well in difficult economic times? Gives people something fluffy and shallow to take their mind off their real life troubles. And you can't underestimate the trashy allure of big money, big everything Texas.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Did the fact that they were in the oil industry figure into the original series?

Yes. For the most part, this show was about how J.R. Ewing, wheeled, dealed, and cheated his enemies/adversaries over oil deals. The industry wasn't just background.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Dallas was all through my formative years! The first ep aired while I was learning to cook in the smallest kitchen in one of the cooler nightclubs on Long Island! The TV was B&W, and it was difficult to change the channels, so I just kept it on, and got into it when I realized that JR was Major Nelson, and he was having an affair with Ginger! By the time the 'Who Shot JR?" plot played out I was behind the bar working and we had the color TVs in the place tuned to the show!
I didn't REALLY get hooked on the Ewing clan until Knots Landing, though. Somehow, that always seemed to be the better show, despite Dallas being more 'opulent'.
The strangest storylines involved Lucy. She was having an affair in the early shows with someone who would later turn out to be a relative, and, since this was before HBO and incest being the flavor of the month, either the writers forgot the connection or hoped the viewers would once the reveal came. At another point, Lucy was 'discovered' as a potential top model, despite the actress's height, and, of course, every other character had to buy into it.
Hope this turns out to be good!

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I didn't REALLY get hooked on the Ewing clan until Knots Landing, though. Somehow, that always seemed to be the better show, despite Dallas being more 'opulent'.

Not for me. I don't think Dallas got really into the wealth of the characters until after Jock died.

The first few years, was all about family, the in-fighting, the romance and struggles of marriage, not just between Bobby and Pam (who I always rooted for), and the disgusting way JR treated SueEllen.

The strangest storylines involved Lucy. She was having an affair in the early shows with someone who would later turn out to be a relative, and, since this was before HBO and incest being the flavor of the month, either the writers forgot the connection or hoped the viewers would once the reveal came

I'd call it disgusting as opposed to strange. Then again, the unofficial first season was just a four parter. I don't think the showrunners were even thinking about making Ray, the Ranch Foreman, ex-boyfriend of Pamela Barnes Ewing, a bastard Ewing himself when this first aired. I don't think the writers forgot the connection, but expected the viewers to not remember. Stupid Writers.

Hope this turns out to be good!

Like I posted in the original Dallas thread, I have very, very, VERY low expectations, and the few trailers I've seen? Do not convince me that this show will even come close to the original. The casting choices for Christopher and John Ross are atrocious.

Patrick Duffy, Larry Hagman and Linda Gray are the only reasons I'm going to tune into this attempt at a "reboot."

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Do not convince me that this show will even come close to the original. The casting choices for Christopher and John Ross are atrocious.

I think they played it safe. Maybe too safe. I was most worried about the younger set, but Brewster's a competent enough actress, they seem to play within Metcalfe's limitations, and Gonzalo is playing the simplest role (though they hint at later depths). Obviously, Henderson has the biggest burden, and from what I've seen, they went the low risk route, he's convincing as the young buck trying to make it big, but he doesn't have the screen charisma to be the next J.R. And I see why they went that route because it's a thin line between "love to hate" and just plain hate.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I'd call it disgusting as opposed to strange. Then again, the unofficial first season was just a four parter. I don't think the showrunners were even thinking about making Ray, the Ranch Foreman, ex-boyfriend of Pamela Barnes Ewing, a bastard Ewing himself when this first aired. I don't think the writers forgot the connection, but expected the viewers to not remember. Stupid Writers.

IIRC, Larry Hagman says he pitched the bastard son history to the producers to get Steve Kanaly a good part.

Larry Hagman interview

interview

Edited by thatguy01, Feb 15, 2012 @ 12:17 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

The strangest storylines involved Lucy. She was having an affair in the early shows with someone who would later turn out to be a relative, and, since this was before HBO and incest being the flavor of the month, either the writers forgot the connection or hoped the viewers would once the reveal came

Well seeing that they are both reprising their roles and she is fiftysomething considering how TV has changed I think it will be played up with a kid finding out that grandma was a wild child.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

I think they played it safe. Maybe too safe. I was most worried about the younger set, but Brewster's a competent enough actress, they seem to play within Metcalfe's limitations, and Gonzalo is playing the simplest role (though they hint at later depths). Obviously, Henderson has the biggest burden, and from what I've seen, they went the low risk route, he's convincing as the young buck trying to make it big, but he doesn't have the screen charisma to be the next J.R. And I see why they went that route because it's a thin line between "love to hate" and just plain hate.

Eh. I've seen the previews of what this show will be like and I was NOT impressed.

But, like I said, back in the original Dallas forum, I'm sure I'll be watching to snark on it. I mean, from the last movie, Christopher and John Ross were friends, and the way it's being set up, well, it's like none of it ever happened.

Plus, I can just see now it's going to be Just hate for me; not love to hate. These actors just don't have the gravatas of the actors from the original show, and I know that there are actors out there, who could have been better choices.

Well seeing that they are both reprising their roles and she is fiftysomething considering how TV has changed I think it will be played up with a kid finding out that grandma was a wild child.

Although many are reprising their roles, I doubt that they'll be Part of the show, if that makes sense. I think they're being brought in only to get people to watch, and they'll go away, and the focus will probably be on the young generation. That's how I see it going down anyway.

I mean even the horrid 90210 reboot, brought in characters from the original show, only to decimate those characters.

At least I've got the original for me to watch.

And the word "reboot" is confusing to me for this show--it seems more like a continuation, with the next generation; not trying to redo the original, if that makes sense.

But Larry and Patrick are the ONLY reasons I'm tuning in. J.R., was someone I LOVED to hate, and well, I just plain loved Bobby.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Although many are reprising their roles, I doubt that they'll be Part of the show, if that makes sense. I think they're being brought in only to get people to watch, and they'll go away, and the focus will probably be on the young generation. That's how I see it going down anyway.

I mean even the horrid 90210 reboot, brought in characters from the original show, only to decimate those characters.

I don't know. Larry Hagman is Dallas in a way Jennie Garth was never Beverly Hills 90210. JR (and Bobby and Sue Ellen to a lesser extent) is such a huge part of the brand that he can't really be moved aside or downplayed easily.

I'm scared to even mention but I think it's far more likely that if JR leaves the new show it will be because of Larry's real life health issues than anything to do with the writers and producers.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

I don't know. Larry Hagman is Dallas in a way Jennie Garth was never Beverly Hills 90210. JR (and Bobby and Sue Ellen to a lesser extent) is such a huge part of the brand that he can't really be moved aside or downplayed easily.

True. I should have clarified, that I meant the others reprising their roles, such as Steve Kanaly and Charlene Tilton. You're right, Hagman/J.R. WAS Dallas. Hell, even Bobby; I saw how horrible that season was after he "died." when he came back, I didn't care how they made it happen, and I didn't care that it messed up stuff on Knots Landing. Bobby was BACK! The chemistry between Larry and Patrick was so...great and they played off each other so very well.

I'm scared to even mention but I think it's far more likely that if JR leaves the new show it will be because of Larry's real life health issues than anything to do with the writers and producers.

Same here. Although I think I read in the other forum (in the Soap Opera Thread), that both he and Duffy's roles, aren't going to be dominant. More like supporting. Though I would really like it if they both took on the role that Jock had.

I haven't heard anything more about Hagman's health issues since his statement about having cancer and that it was treatable.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

And the word "reboot" is confusing to me for this show--it seems more like a continuation, with the next generation; not trying to redo the original, if that makes sense.

Well, TNT certainly isn't using the term "reboot." In fact, they don't even want us to use the term "prime-time soap" but rather "epic family drama" is the preferred nomenclature.

My understanding is that Duffy will almost be in a kind of lead role. Hagman will definitely be supporting, but again that's probably due to health.

I have seen a screener (no credits, no sound effects, the voices sound tinny) of the pilot, but I don't think they're going to "retooled" much from then.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Just a reminder: this thread is for discussing the reboot, not the original. You can discuss your memories of the original here. It’s okay to share some plot information about the previous show if it helps put something on this version in perspective, or to compare the two, while keeping the focus on this show. Thanks!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 1, 2012 @ 3:47 PM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

I wouldn't call the new series a reboot. It's a sequel, if anything: the same characters in a new situation.

Meanwhile, Dallas Fanzine's Facebook page just posted a new set photo. Apparently, Sue Ellen will be running for Governor?!?

Edited by Raider Duck, Feb 2, 2012 @ 3:10 PM.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

You wonder if the oil industry connections or being rich in economically difficult times will play well right now.

Dallas, and other shows like it (Dynasty, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest), all premiered and had their formative seasons during the late 70's and early 80's, which economically speaking was a very bad time, for my money the worst time in my lifetime until the past few years. As it was pointed out in another post, people tend to crave this type of escapist, indulgent entertainment when times are tough.

But regardless of the economic climate, these shows all brought something to the table that made them popular. I am not so sure that a revived Dallas, featuring a geriatric JR and Bobby Ewing is going to cut it. But perhaps they can prove me wrong.

Edited by reggiejax, Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:10 AM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

Dallas, and other shows like it (Dynasty, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest), all premiered and had their formative seasons during the late 70's and early 80's, which economically speaking was a very bad time, for my money the worst time in my lifetime until the past few years. As it was pointed out in another post, people tend to crave this type of escapist, indulgent entertainment when times are tough.

I remember, a show about an independent oil family needing more money when we were pushing our cars to the pump on the odd or even gas rationing days.

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I think this is pretty cool. Dallas was before my time (although I've caught reruns here and there over the years and I've always liked it) but that they're bringing this back by continuing it 20 years later rather than just rebooting it appeals to me, to the point that I've downloaded a few original seasons to check it out.

It's sort of what I hoped 90210 would be rather than what it turned out to actually be. I'm sure the younger folks will be getting the primary attention, which is basically how it should be, but that J.R., Bobby and Sue Ellen are on the cast, with cameos from the likes of Ray and Lucy, is still pretty cool

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

Dallas' Facebook page just posted a timeline thing that functions as a journal of J.R.'s over the past twenty years. Some things of note:

Miss Ellie died in 2001, Clayton in 1999. Apparently the last time J.R. saw her they fought, and he's guilt-ridden over it, becoming more and more withdrawn from the family. It seems clear Bobby, Sue Ellen and Christopher made an effort to keep him part of the family, but he seemed too prideful. He's estranged from the family, John Ross in particular.

It's clear the TV movies do not count. Cliff continued to own Ewing Oil and sold it only a few years ago. J.R. meanwhile is bankrupt. Cliff and J.R. made dueling big investments around the turn of the century: J.R. invested in the XFL and was the owner of a fictional team called the Dallas Revenge. Cliff got in on the ground floor of a little start-up called Google.

It appears as if they're acting like Cally's son is not J.R.'s, probably to uncomplicate the family tree a little bit. My guess is very little of the latter seasons is going to come into play.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Thanks, Jack Malloy!

For everyone else, here's the link (Facebook account required).

Some more observations:

They're massively retconning Elena Ramos into everything. Suddenly she's been best friends with John Ross and Christopher since they were in grade school???

Christopher graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Texas with a BS in Geology.

John Ross dropped out of Texas Tech, and is now wildcatting for oil in the gulf.

James gets a couple of quick mentions. No mention of JR's grandson Jimmy Beaumont or Bobby's son Lucas Wade.

Zero mention of the entire McKay family. Thank goodness.

Jenna is almost totally ignored, but Pam is heavily referred to. Maybe VP will be showing up in Season Two (if there is one)?

Nice handling of the dream season, with an awesome I Dream of Jeannie shout-out.

Edited by Raider Duck, Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Jenna is almost totally ignored, but Pam is heavily referred to. Maybe VP will be showing up in Season Two (if there is one)?

Pam is sort of the one (not necessarily dead) past character that you sort of have to mention, considering her import in the show and the fact that she'll probably be treated as Christopher's dead mother even if he never really would have had the chance to get to know her all that well. Plus she's Cliff's sister and everything and he's a recurring character.

I could conceivably see Lucas showing up at some point if only because there's a lot of drama in Bobby's real son showing up to feud with the son he raised. We know Ray's involved in the show to some degree and him being married to Jenna might help tie her to the show (if we see her I kind of hope she'll be played by Morgan Fairchild again considering how creepy Priscilla Pressly looks now) but he's the only branch of the family tree out there that I think we'll be seeing. Minor references to James aside, I don't expect him and Jimmy to be a factor (or even acknowledged in the series), and they've retconned Terrence's paternity to boot. For easiness sake, I also don't expect we'll get a lot of talk about April either, with Bobby's long lost love being simplified to just being Pam. Basically if it didn't happen in the first ten seasons, I don't expect it will matter all that much. They'll keep the bare bones stuff like J.R. losing his company to Cliff and whatnot, but the rest won't factor in.

You know who I'd like to see turn up at some point? Gary. Ted Shackleford's still acting (he's been on The Young and the Restless for a while now) and it'd be a nice way to tie in Knot's Landing viewers. Plus, I always thought Dallas didn't have enough of all three Ewing brothers interacting. They brought on Lucy and Ray in the pilot, I wish they could've had Gary on too.

Edited by Jack Malloy, Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:55 AM.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

That Facebook idea is really clever.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

If Cally's son is not JR's doesn't that make him JR's grandson?" If Christopher is done college age, they could easily bring on the grandson as a bratty teen.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

If Cally's son is not JR's doesn't that make him JR's grandson?" If Christopher is done college age, they could easily bring on the grandson as a bratty teen.

They're not saying Cally's child was really James', but retconning him/her out of existence altogether. As for the bratty teen angle, it wouldn't be anyone referred to on the show previously. Remember that the show's been off the air for 21 years, which means even Jimmy Beaumont would be 22 now, and Lucas Wade would be in his mid-20s. John Ross, Christopher and Elena are all in their early 30s. There was no mention on the Facebook page of any of them having kids, so we can assume they haven't yet.

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Exactly. I'm sure they don't want to risk alienating newer viewers by making the family tree and backstories too complicated and making them think if they didn't watch the first show they won't get it. That's why I think they're pruning the Ewing family tree down to the bare minimum. No Terrence at all (I'm sure Cally's name won't even come up, or if it does it'll be in passing as a nod) and possibly no James, Jimmy or Lucas either. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't make it explicitly clear that Ray is their brother (although I'm sure they wouldn't retcon that) when he cameos in the pilot just because it's a further complication to the simple family tree they're creating: Two feuding brothers, each with a son who continue the feud.

There's going to be three groups of people watching this: People who've never seen any of Dallas, people who casually watched and were aware of Dallas tuning in out of curiosity, and die-hards who still remember all the characters and stories who have real investment in the Ewings. Of those, I'd say the third group is the smallest. The first group won't know or care anything about certain characters appearing or still existing, the second group is probably satisfied by J.R., Bobby and Sue Ellen still being a part of it, only the third group will even be on the look out for people like Terrence or James or Jimmy. Frankly for me, the fact that they're also including Cliff, Lucy and Ray was more than I expected.

Edited by Jack Malloy, Mar 3, 2012 @ 5:50 PM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

There's going to be three groups of people watching this: People who've never seen any of Dallas, people who casually watched and were aware of Dallas tuning in out of curiosity, and die-hards who still remember all the characters and stories who have real investment in the Ewings. Of those, I'd say the third group is the smallest.

That's why the heavy emphasis on the John Ross/Christopher/Elena triangle. JR Returns was set up as a pilot for a new series and/or string of TV movies, but other than a ham-handed attempt to set up Christopher with his cousin Pamela Cooper(!), there was little groundwork laid for the next generation (it didn't help that while Chris Demetral made an acceptable Christopher, Omri Katz was lifeless as John Ross). The CBS suits rightfully felt the youngsters would soon be shoved aside for JR, Bobby, Sue Ellen and Cliff, and we'd just had thirteen seasons of that.

Other than Bobby (by PD's own admission) playing the Jock role this time around and Sue Ellen's apparent run for Governor, the old crew will be kept to supplemental storylines only. They won't be absent, but just as the old series was not about Jock and Miss Ellie, the new series won't be about JR, Bobby and Sue Ellen. Time will tell if the viewers buy it or not.