Oprah's Next Chapter: Saving OWN from Folding Completely

• Please log in to reply

784 replies to this topic

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I liked the Magic Johnson and Arsenio, and Spike interviews, mostly because Oprah let them talk. None of them said anything new or earth shattering, but they were decent enough interviews.

LOVED the Babyface story about him using a fake adult Jimmy Stewart voice to get to interview Michael and the Jackson Five when he was Kenny was just 13. THAT was funny.

As for Spikes sit-down, I wonder if Oprah really would have let him know Tyler had told him about his visit, if he hadn't called her out on it. Or would she have let him answer......seen what he said, and if he told the same version as Tyler, and then either hit him with well "Tyler told me who called".... OR "Tyler told a different story"...OR just in her own head make a note of it and said, "uhmn, right."

The MORE upfront thing to do WOULD have been to say, first, when asking about it..."you know Tyler Perry told me you called him" and see what Spike might have to say about it.

The way she didn't it we'll never know is she would have said she'd already known all about it. The way she did it -- It was clearly a set up question. 

Edited by selhars, Dec 6, 2013 @ 12:15 PM.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

dancingonmyown...you are correct about Beyoncé and why I have always questioned her age.  I did assume she was older when she started, probably because her mama dressed her like she was a grown woman. 

As far as whether Oprah and these folks are really friends...eh, close friends, doubt it.  Friendly enough, sure.  Keep in mind, Oprah has to act like she doesn't know some of the things that she gets as responses to her questions even if she knows the answer or else how would that look?  "Oh, Tina, tell me again how you are tired of touring."  Someone way upthread said that the topics are already pre-planned so I believe the answers are already known too.  Maybe not but Oprah and her team seem to do a lot of research so as to not look like idiots in the interviews.  Does she "over-act" and get jumpy too often, hell yes.  Is she often rude?  Definitely.  Is her ego humongous?  Absolutely.  Do I think she realizes how bad it makes her look?  No.  I don't think in all these years anyone has told her and SHOWN her how terrible she is with that.  I do maintain that when she is with someone she is comfortable with or assumes a friendship with she is calmer and less jumpy.  I haven't watched the Magic Johnson show and I'm interested in how she plays that one.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 10:45 AM

"Where Are They Now"  with Willie Aames, Nicole "Snookie" Polizzi and Nikki Blonsky.

I was really glad to see how Nicole as grown-up and is trying to leave "Snooki" behind her.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

Willie looks alot like Ryan O'Neal. Loved the sweet story about how he met his wife. That was fate.

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 8:36 PM

So, this has morphed into "Oprah Prime" now.  I just watched the Kevin Hart episode and the Pharrell Williams episode is on now.  These stories are riveting, but I notice that lots of Oprah's guests buy into her same "think it, provide the energy, and it manifests" way of thinking.  I think that came from "The Secret?"  Either way... it's interesting how many of these successful people believe this notion and openly espouse it.