Oprah's Next Chapter: Saving OWN from Folding Completely

• Please log in to reply

784 replies to this topic

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

I watched the Letterman one and it was pretty intersting. I wish they would have gone into some more stuff about what Dave's job is like. One of the most interesting part in Bill Carter's War for Late Night book was when he talked about how Letterman invented or at least popularized a ton of the bits that every latenight host does. Things like going to a McDonalds and working the drive through or just going out and talking to people (or sending someone funny you work for to do the same thing). He used to do that kind of stuff all the time. But as the book explained as he got older, he had less time (because of family) and energy to do those kinds of bits so the show evolved, so that most of it takes place in the studio with him usually just sitting at his desk. It would have been interesting to hear him talk about how the show has changed over the years because of him getting older (I mean a guy in his 30's doing a late night show is a lot different than a guy in his 60's).

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

I don't think Dave wants to remind people that he's getting older ...

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

It seems through the interview Armstrong has practiced lying as much as he has practiced doping...very hard to believe anything he says regarding all the details and the regret is that he got caught. I thought Oprah was particularly focused and pointed during the interview...she did a great job and she looks great.

Edited by SpringTulips, Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:06 PM.

Placard

Placard

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

I'm terribly disappointed with the Armstrong interview. Oprah's interviewing skills were fairly rusty or so it seemed and the interview lacked heavy hitting questions. All in all I thought it was boring. Maybe it was due to the interminable breaks which seemed to last longer than the conversations in between. Had it not been for all of the breaks there would be no need for a second part. In my opinion Lance lucked out. Did he just sit there and lie through the whole thing because it was so easy? It just seemed off key to me. Certainly not worth the time.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

Oprah's interviewing skills were fairly rusty or so it seemed

I believe she used a style to get info out there without putting him in defensive shut down mode. My favorite part was when she listened to his explanation of how his cancer battle contributed to his "win at all cost attitude" and Oprah interjected "But you were doping before you had cancer" Lance could only respond..well, oh yeah...

Edited by SpringTulips, Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:19 PM.

bannana

bannana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

I'm terribly disappointed with the Armstrong interview. Oprah's interviewing skills were fairly rusty or so it seemed and the interview lacked heavy hitting questions.

She got him to admit all in the first minute. Then she explored the "how could he rationalize". She challenged him on many points, such as, if he knew the masseuse was a good person and telling the truth, then why did he sue her -- one of many questions I wanted her to ask.

Lance obvi wanted to bare his soul and saw Oprah as the perfect person to confess to. I think she did a nice job of asking the Qs we all wondered about. She did not need to go aggressive, he was already compliant. It was almost like she was his therapist!

I actually don't get why he is doing this. All of his titles are stripped etc, he could live life well, and away from the spotlight but apparently he needs to self flagellate.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

He's doing the interview/confession as part of rebuilding his image....which in my personal opinion is beyond repair. I think, he and his handlers are stupid enough to think if he just fesses up eventually people will forgive him and he can return to LiveStrong so he can get money. He's facing a bunch of lawsuits from people and orgs. I believe one British newspaper is looking to recoup $500,000 that they had to pay Lance after they lost a libel lawsuit he filed against them some years ago. I think the Tour de France people are looking to get back whatever winnings they awarded as well but I'm not entirely sure about that. I also read on CNN that Lance was banned from doing triathlons (something he did as a teen before cycling and what he occupied himself with after he retired) and if he confesses under oath the lifetime ban could be dropped to 8 years. So basically I don't believe one bit that he's doing this just for the sake of confessing and sincerely apologizing to the people he's hurt.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Jan 18, 2013 @ 12:56 AM.

Placard

Placard

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

PoeticJustice32:

Your post is more informative and interesting than Oprah's interview.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 1:45 AM

He's doing the interview/confession as part of rebuilding his image....

Yes, that seemed to be the goal, and it is quite laughable. I laughed even more when he suggested his being on some sort of official panel regarding sports doping.

And Part 1 was enough of Lance Armstrong for me. I would only watch Part 2 if Sheryl Crow were to appear and give an honest talk (just my imagination).

Edited by SpringTulips, Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:19 AM.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:14 AM

I actually don't get why he is doing this. All of his titles are stripped etc, he could live life well, and away from the spotlight but apparently he needs to self flagellate.

Does anyone think that maybe the great and powerful Oprah paid him for the interview?

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 2:33 AM

I thought Oprah, for the most part, was terrific. (A lot of people in the media thought so too).

She wasn't there to bolster his image or rehabilitate him.

She made him look bad.

He came across as a sociopath.

I think this interview is going to destroy what's left of his reputation.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 4:28 AM

I am also thinking of the segment, dont remember all the details, where he talks about how he says all these horrific names about a woman but never says she is fat...I can imagine what Oprah was thinking and that got interesting

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

Does anyone think that maybe the great and powerful Oprah paid him for the interview?

Absolutely not. I'm sure she did a happy dance when she got the interview; but it HE much more than she needs something from the public, even though she needs help for her network. And he thought he'd get a warm fuzzy hug from her when he made his "big" confession, instead, she landed tons of jabs to the core this evening.

And, it makes me exceptionally happy that he is not going to get the absolution to get back sponsorships and eligibilty to compete as he thought by doing this interview; instead, even more will see him for the self-involved jackass, unrelenting bully that he is.

Edited by pennben, Jan 18, 2013 @ 6:11 AM.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

where he talks about how he says all these horrific names about a woman but never says she is fat...I can imagine what Oprah was thinking and that got interesting

Wow when he said that he really thought he was funny. What a sociopath! The look on Oprah's face was awesome, she shut that right down.
I thought Oprah did a good job, but definately she looks like she is caring more about doing a good interview then making him look good. Seems to me she doesn't give a shit about him. It seemed to me that he was hoping she would try to understand his "flawed person" more, but she seems to understand he is a sociopath and is asking the questons to highlight it.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:34 AM

where he talks about how he says all these horrific names about a woman but never says she is fat...I can imagine what Oprah was thinking and that got interesting.

Wow when he said that he really thought he was funny. What a sociopath! The look on Oprah's face was awesome, she shut that right down.

My mouth literally dropped open at that point. First, because he thought it was a valid thing to say, & second, because I thought Oprah was going to incinerate him when the words left his lips. And rightly so if she had.

I thought it was a great interview, in fact, possibly Oprah's best interview ever. She asked tough, pointed questions, allowed him time to answer, & asked follow ups. I am looking forward to seeing part 2.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

He's doing the interview/confession as part of rebuilding his image....which in my personal opinion is beyond repair. I think, he and his handlers are stupid enough to think if he just fesses up eventually people will forgive him and he can return to LiveStrong so he can get money.

I wanted to watch the episode but it looked like for some reason the Oprah network in Canada on our cable provider didn't have it. As far as the confessions go I wonder if there is a possible tell all book deal in the works? I mean that would make him probably a ton of money (which would help him with the potential lawsuits). Plus if there is a book in the works, he needs to stay in the public eye as long as possible so people haven't moved on to the next scandal by the time it comes out. Which would explain why he goes on Oprah.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

I wanted to watch the episode but it looked like for some reason the Oprah network in Canada on our cable provider didn't have it.

For what it's worth, I am in SW Ontario with Bell and was able to watch it. As for the interview itself, I agree with everything that has been already said. And Oprah really got her shit together for this interview because she knows how much is riding it on it for her and her network. No interruptions or pontifications. It would be great if this version of Oprah showed up for all of her interviews.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

I thought Oprah did a good job because she socked it to him without actually slamming him. I was glad that she asked him those yes, no questions straight up.

I don't know about him being a sociopath because some behaviors just are, not every bad behavior has to be diagnosed or is a pathology. He came across to me as one of those people who have been told since childhood that they are wonderful, have very few faults and that they deserve everything good in the world. It chilled me when he said something like he'd do anything to survive/to win, because I know so many people like that. I got the sense that he was a prick before he had cancer, after cancer he became a bigger prick and then when he became famous, he became an insufferable prick.

He's doing the interview/confession as part of rebuilding his image....which in my personal opinion is beyond repair.

I'm not so sure of that, as Gore Vidal once said, "We live in the United States of Amnesia." I live in NYC and there are some people HERE who think that people are not still suffering due to Hurricane Sandy.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

PoeticJustice32:

Your post is more informative and interesting than Oprah's interview.

Thanks. I'm oddly fascinated with stories like these. Yesterday I actually forgot about the Armstrong interview because I was preoccupied with the Manti Te'O/dead girlfriend hoax. It just amazes me how people (especially in the public eye) think they can lie, cheat and scheme and then actually get away with it.

I'm glad people for the most part are satisfied with Oprah's handling of Lance. For a while it seemed like she was going soft. If anyone deserved the hammer to be dropped on them its him. And its not even so much about the cheating, but the way he went about covering up his lies by destroying other people's lives and livelihoods. That's the thing that's unforgivable to me.

mona kane

mona kane

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

where he talks about how he says all these horrific names about a woman but never says she is fat...I can imagine what Oprah was thinking and that got interesting

He basically admitted he called the woman a whore, but that was ok because he didn't call her a fat whore. He's a clueless asshole. I loved Oprah's WTF face after he said that.

I don't think I can sit through any more of Lance Armstrong. He can go away now.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

I wanted to watch the episode but it looked like for some reason the Oprah network in Canada on our cable provider didn't have it.

OWN streamed it live on its website for the world to see. (Obviously, because it's a global story.) They'll stream it tonight.

You can watch part 1 here on youtube (in multiple parts). http://www.youtube.c...ewsPoliticsNow3

No way! I mean, perhaps money changes hands for morning show interviews in the form of licensing fees.

But I don't think it happens with somebody like Oprah. It would look really bad.

I thought Oprah did a good job, but definately she looks like she is caring more about doing a good interview then making him look good. Seems to me she doesn't give a shit about him. It seemed to me that he was hoping she would try to understand his "flawed person" more, but she seems to understand he is a sociopath and is asking the questons to highlight it.

I recall her saying in an interview this week that this was her most important interview in terms of global significance.

So she had nothing to gain by being sympathetic.

I mean, this isn't James Frey.

Edited by nowandlater, Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:57 AM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:17 AM

Quite a masterful job on Oprah's part, I thought. I was interested hearing her talk about it beforehand--"We were surprised by the way he presented himself and the way he answered questions." (i.e. what an ass he was--including that "fat joke". Talk about self-absorbed and tone deaf when talking to a woman who has publicly battled her weight for decades!)

She said that, at the break, he asked when it was going to "lighten up" and let him talk about other things, his battle with cancer, what a great guy he is, etc. Even after all the people she's interviewed, she seemed dumbfounded by what a jerk Armstrong was, even while trying to put across a revamped public image.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Any word on the ratings yet? I'm sure they were about as high as OWN could ever hope to achieve even though I did not tune in due to lack of interest in the topic.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

He came across to me as one of those people who have been told since childhood that they are wonderful, have very few faults and that they deserve everything good in the world

If you read the book his mother wrote, you will see where that attitude came from, at least in part.
He is one of the few people I liked less after reading his autobios. If you can't manage to make yourself look good...

I didn't hear anything during the interview that surprised me, other than his utter, as Mona Kane said, clueless asshole-ness. I wonder if he had PR people prep him and this was the best they could get out of him, or if he thought he could just be himself and that would be enough? He just seemed so tone deaf to how he was coming off. I guess he didn't have anyone around with the guts to tell him how he sounds.

I didn't get to hear the entire interview - did he mention anything about how/what he has told his kids and how they are dealing with it all? I am sure the older ones have heard about it from schoolmates since he was banned.

Edited by MittenGirl, Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:49 AM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

Oprah was stonewalled by Lance's slippery mega-weasleness, in part because he knew that interview would become exhibits A, B, C, D, etc. of his upcoming perjury/slander lawsuits. What an unpleasant, arrogant, unrepentant tool. No, it wasn't her best interview, and OWN is shamelessly milking it for all its worth, but it was compelling--reminded me of those old Mike Wallace interviews where you could see the lies evaporating from the subject's pores. Lance should hang it up--he will never regain the golden glow he had when we thought he came by his championships honestly even if he competes in unicycle racing.

Canuck148

Canuck148

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

OWN Canada did air the interview because it was shown here in Manitoba (standard and HD).

It might have helped some viewers if Oprah had given some context to the interview at the outset, before launching into the mock-prosecutor routine. I have followed the Lance saga but not everyone (like those with actual lives) is familiar with the lengths he went to keep the story going - ruining reputations and suing (as Oprah noted) but also having alleged cronies threaten truth-tellers, an example of which was heard in a phone message aired on CNN this week ('I hope you get a baseball bat broken over your head' or words to that effect). I think that aspect is more compelling than his illegal doping. In every other interview, O introduces the subject, prattling on about the subject's claims to fame though, as it is/was with Lance, it's all common knowledge (e.g. Jamie Foxx won an Oscar!) Of course, that would have made this interview even longer and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

For the record, it was his team's massage therapist (Emma O'Reilly) that he supposedly called a "whore" and an "alcoholic." It was the baseball-bat-threatened spouse of a teammate (Betsy Surname-escapes-me) who was on the receiving end of the 'bitch,' but not a 'FAT bitch' comment. Two different victims; same ruse.

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

No interruptions or pontifications. It would be great if this version of Oprah showed up for all of her interviews.

Absolutely. I remember being SO disappointed when she interviewed that Simple Abundance author, Sarah Ban Breathnach, who is now BROKE and had gained at least 60 pounds. Sarah hardly had a chance to talk because Oprah kept hogging the interview. What a disappointment.

Real journalists don't pay for interviews because that would compromise the intergrity of the information. It's the British tabloids that brought in "checkbook journalism" but in most cases, the only time money changes hands in the U.S. is for tabloid exclusives (weddings, baby photos).

Placard

Placard

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

The interview can be viewed on oprah.com (simulcasting own and oprah.com).

starketcher

starketcher

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

I remember Lance being on O's show some years back and the fawning that occurred. Armstrong's mother was there. Frankly, I never liked the guy, was glad when he & Sheryl Crow split (I thought her too good for him)& I'm not at all surprised at the doping. What bothers me is that he rode the doped bike all the way to the bank and has for years...now, he's trying to rebuild his image, which never was much IMHO anyway. I hope he's shunned for years as a cheater & loses all the cash he gained by cheating.

One other thing, as a breast cancer survivor, there is no way I would ever put anything into my body for performance sake! I cannot see how he could knowingly damage his body after cancer. Maybe the money and fake adulation means more than his health??

bannana

bannana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

Yes, it has aired in Western Canada, and part 1 was repeated today immediately prior to part 2.

It might have helped some viewers if Oprah had given some context to the interview at the outset,

Yes, this is a good point Canuck148, I had viewed the documentary and so understood a lot of what she was asking about but before seeing that doc I had no idea.

braggtastic I heard it got 3.2 million viewers and was the second highest rated OWN show, after the Houston interview.