Oprah's Next Chapter: Saving OWN from Folding Completely

• Please log in to reply

784 replies to this topic

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

Does Jamie Foxx really warrant a two-part interview? I thought she pretty much covered everything in the first hour. What else is there to talk about?

Did anyone catch the 2nd part of this interview and is it worth watching? I forgot to watch it but don't feel like I missed anything because I agree with the above -- she covered everything in the first hour, did she not? What else is there? Or is it an hour with the daughter who was introduced at the end of part one? Let me guess -- is she an aspiring actress and/or singer?

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

Don't have OWN but it sounds like Oprah is slowly morphing into her old self/position. Heard she fired up another book club and did favorite things over the holidays. There's nothing new under the sun, right?

Always had the impression she believed OWN would provide semi-retirement because everything on air, even w/o her appearance and/or the endless reruns, would be touched by the Oprah magic fairy dust, lol.

Edited by gazerguy, Jan 2, 2013 @ 7:29 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Did anyone catch the 2nd part of this interview and is it worth watching? I forgot to watch it but don't feel like I missed anything because I agree with the above -- she covered everything in the first hour, did she not? What else is there? Or is it an hour with the daughter who was introduced at the end of part one? Let me guess -- is she an aspiring actress and/or singer?

The second hour talked a lot more about Django Unchained. And there was quite a bit of discussion with Jamie's daughter about what kind of father/man he is. No, the daughter isn't an actress or singer. She's a college student.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

Thanks so much for the reply, Turkish, I appreciate it. I will keep my eyes open for it then since I really liked the first part and his daughter seems like a lovely, poised young woman so it's probably worth catching for me.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

There was an article in paper this morning about this upcoming OWN show, All My Babies Mamas. This bogles my mind.

Edited by may2, Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:56 PM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

That's for Oxygen, not OWN. Oprah is no longer involved with Oxygen.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Well, I love Letterman, so I was really looking forward to this, so I don't have much of anything negative to say about the show (for once).

Oprah didn't bother me. She interrupted, yes, but I guess she just does that because thinks her guest is going to trail off. I understood both point of views regarding Oprah and Dave's feud, which is too harsh a word but whatever. Dave's audience at the time probably did not cross over with Oprah's at all, so I get how he felt like he had to make fun of her while treat her as a guest at the time.

Dave shouldn't have apologized to Donald Trump though, I think Dave's reasoning that anyone smart enough to get rich must not be dumb enough to be racist is faulty. Trump is a racist, and I bet a lot of millionaires are. I thought Dave's description of depression was touching and compassionate for those of us who suffer from it. I'd love to see a study between sense of humor and depression.

Even the metal straws weren't distracting since they actually fit in the cup!

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

I agree w/ all of the above post. Loved the interview with Dave. I thought he was candid & introspective, which you know he hated! I believe he was genuinely sorry for what Oprah explained as the her side of the beginning of 'the feud'. Glad to hear he is working on being a better man post affair-gate than just continuing on, screwing around. I think Oprah was more respectful in the interview in that she wasn't constantly interrupting & putting words in his mouth. She let him think about his answer & gave time to fully answer.

I love Dave & thought it was a great interview.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

I loved both interviews.
Jaimie Foxx's daughter is adorable.
Only thing I didn't get with Dave (I never watch Jay), was his psycho analysis of Jay. I just didn't think he should have gone there.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

I enjoyed the Dave interview, too. The one thing that sticks out the most in my mind this morning is --
"I barked at you?" "Really." "I barked."
She did *not* like it when he said that. hee.

Only thing I didn't get with Dave (I never watch Jay), was his psycho analysis of Jay. I just didn't think he should have gone there.

What he said about Jay was a lot nicer than what I've heard other people say about him. It is no secret that he is one of the most disliked people in the business.

Edited by Cementhead, Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:35 AM.

Starstruck

Starstruck

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

I disagree that he shouldn't have gone "there" with the Jay Leno situation. I have found the whole Late Night feud drama fascinating for a long time. I think the psychoanalytic comments were simply Dave trying to understand what it is about Jay that he finds troubling, rather than simply bashing on him. I watched Oprah for many years and I remember Oprah went through a period of buddying up with Jay. Since Oprah has embraced a dialogue with Dave it seems like, and I don't really want to say she takes Dave's "side", but when Oprah and Dave talk, they connect intellectually. She can't really achieve that in an interview with Jay.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

I loved both interviews.
Jaimie Foxx's daughter is adorable.

Actually I sort of thought of it as a compliment. That he thought Leno is a great commedian and that he never understood why he (Leno) was insecure. I have no use for Leno, but Dave seemed unfazed by their rivalry.

I thought it was a great interview and one day I'd love for him to write a book about his life.

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

It is no secret that (Jay) is one of the most disliked people in the business.

I worked at a university that brought in a lot of guest speakers and Jay was one of the nicest. He was pleasant to all the students, the staff and the audience. Trust me, there have been a LOT of celebrities who were miserable to work with (paging Mr. Bill Cosby ... )

Some of the dislike may have stemmed from the Leno/Letterman fiasco or simple jealousy. But no one works harder than Jay.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:16 PM

I enjoyed the Dave interview, too. The one thing that sticks out the most in my mind this morning is --
"I barked at you?" "Really." "I barked."
She did *not* like it when he said that. hee.

Boy she really did not like that at all. Ha! I didn't understand why after all this time and all the publicity around Oprah and Dave "making up" years ago with her appearing on his show and him on hers she felt the need to bring it all up again only this time with the *real* thing she was offended about that she never told him until now.

If she kept that to herself all through the big public makeups then why feel the need to dredge it up now? I don't usually watch this show but at that point Oprah seemed like the same old Oprah to me - needing to make it about herself. Clearly the women never forgets any slight.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:24 PM

And she already said before she didn't want to his show because she felt like he was making fun of her, so it wasn't anything new anyways.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

I really enjoyed the interview with Dave as well-I discovered him when he was doing the groundbreaking, soon cancelled, NBC morning show. I think Dave's brilliant and it's nice to see him comfortable with himself and happy with his life. Oprah was respectful, and let Dave express himself without too much interruption.
Back in 1989, I saw Jay Leno at Wittenburg University in Ohio, and he was hilarious; original and topical in his humor. But after what he did, undercutting Dave to get the Tonight Show, when he KNEW it was Dave's dream, (also Johnny's preference) that Dave get the Tonight show-I haven't felt the same way about the man since.For all I know, he's a nice guy, but I prefer Dave, and always will.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 2:46 AM

Dave made it sound as if the only reason he didn't get the Tonight Show is because producers didn't (or wouldn't) talk to Johnny. If everyone knew Johnny wanted Dave, how is that even possible?

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 4:00 AM

Boy she really did not like that at all. Ha! I didn't understand why after all this time and all the publicity around Oprah and Dave "making up" years ago with her appearing on his show and him on hers she felt the need to bring it all up again only this time with the *real* thing she was offended about that she never told him until now.

Once again, Oprah needed to be right, yet being the one to say "no apology needed", when that is exactly what she wanted to hear.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 7:24 AM

The segment about the "feud" was weird, why would Oprah drag that up again?

But seriously would Dave have not remembered that he had all read "done" Oprah in Chicago before, even if he didn't realize that she felt bad after it.
The whole story is weird and really who cares!

Also I was waiting for him to make a crack about her saying he had "done" her in Chicago, she even said it twice.

I haven't seen Dave for ages, what is with the weird glasses and white socks?
Oprah's "acting" in the superbowl commercial was so bad.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

The segment about the "feud" was weird, why would Oprah drag that up again?

But seriously would Dave have not remembered that he had all read "done" Oprah in Chicago before, even if he didn't realize that she felt bad after it.
The whole story is weird and really who cares!

Also I was waiting for him to make a crack about her saying he had "done" her in Chicago, she even said it twice.

I haven't seen Dave for ages, what is with the weird glasses and white socks?
Oprah's "acting" in the superbowl commercial was so bad.

Dave has always worn white socks although back in the NBC days they were more like tube socks. He also has lots of different glasses he wears so I guess those are the ones he had that day.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

It is no secret that (Jay) is one of the most disliked people in the business.

I worked at a university that brought in a lot of guest speakers and Jay was one of the nicest. He was pleasant to all the students, the staff and the audience. Trust me, there have been a LOT of celebrities who were miserable to work with (paging Mr. Bill Cosby ... )

Some of the dislike may have stemmed from the Leno/Letterman fiasco or simple jealousy. But no one works harder than Jay.

That's great to hear & I don't doubt any of it but I was specifically referring to his reputation in 'show business,' where many of his fellow comedians have made no secret of their dislike of the man. He has a real 'snake in the grass' reputation; burned a lot of bridges and pissed a lot of people off. It was a few years back during the Conan debacle when I can remember a lot of them coming out with their own stories about the man.

And I am jealous of your former job where you got to meet celebrities! That is so cool. And I am not surprised to hear that about Cosby, sadly.

Edited by Cementhead, Jan 8, 2013 @ 11:16 AM.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

I really enjoyed the Dave interview also and to see him in a serious conversation. I too do not like the yellowed glasses, grey or silver would look great on him. I read many moons ago that those socks are a light light grey that he wears.
Yeah Leno is a hard worker, he did a company party I went to(and I thought at the time why would he do this?) and I went to a taping but understand Dave saying he is insecure. He seems he has to keep working non stop and says he eats all his meals standing over a sink. Not impressed.

Comics do have a secret society of sorts and can be very supportive of each other, but I get the feeling Leno would sell his mother for a gig.

Edited by athousandclowns, Jan 9, 2013 @ 1:03 PM.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Dave made it sound as if the only reason he didn't get the Tonight Show is because producers didn't (or wouldn't) talk to Johnny. If everyone knew Johnny wanted Dave, how is that even possible?

It's because Jay's manager at the time planted a story about him taking over the Tonight Show when Johnny hadn't even announced he was retiring. He did that during the network up front (think that's what it's called) after the story came out. I think Johnny just decided just to wash his hands of the whole thing. That and Kushnik practically forced them to name Leno as replacement because they were talking to other networks about Jay starting his own show elsewhere. He was the permanent guest host when Johnny was off (and he took off two days a week plus his vacation.) The suits thought they'd be able to keep both but CBS made Dave an extremely lucrative offer so he walked once Leno was name as the replacement. Read Bill Carter's book The Late Shift. It was an eye opener about the whole situation. He also wrote a book about what happened when Conan got and lost the Tonight Show. Leno's a weasel at least in my opinion.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Yes, and Jay tried to play all "what, who me? I had nothing to do with it" and put the blame on Kushnik for the whole thing."Weasel" is a good description. Maybe a friendly weasel, but a weasel nonetheless.
Regarding Dave's fashion choices-he looks good in suits, but I sort of miss the NBC days of Dave wearing sport jackets, khaki pants and running shoes. And don't forget the polo shirts with the upturned collar he'd wear when he'd do bits out in the street.Which looks kind of dirty after I typed it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

Dave's socks aren't white, they're grey. They may be cashmere, they look really soft.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

GQ had an article recently that said there aren't many rules for men's socks anymore, as long as their tone matches the shirt.

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

It was interesting to see how Oprah handled the questions about Jay since she and Jay are such good friends. From my perspective, Dave's the one who's the neurotic, insecure asshole. Always zinging people and putting them down to get the almighty laugh. Can't stand him.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Old network page here, so true, so true...

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 8:11 AM

So do you think Oprah is going to go after Lance A. like she did James Frey? Lance was on her show lying his lies. Or is Oprah going to be part of his image re-make? Should be interesting.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

So do you think Oprah is going to go after Lance A. like she did James Frey? Lance was on her show lying his lies. Or is Oprah going to be part of his image re-make? Should be interesting.

I have a sinking feeling she'll throw softball (no pun intended) questions at him. I really don't think she'll give him the third degree at all. James Frey embarrassed her on a personal level, Lance has not, even though I think he's a jerk and I always have.