Oprah's Next Chapter: Saving OWN from Folding Completely

• Please log in to reply

784 replies to this topic

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Oprah KILLS me with this. Either she's cutting the person off, finishing their sentences or interrupting with a story about herself. It's so annoying.

Absolutely! A few months ago, she had Sarah Ban Breathnach (of Simple Abundance fame) on her show for a follow-up. Sarah had gone from being a freelance writer and mom to being a media superstar to ending up where she is today: broke and fat. (She has gained a LOT of weight). I was dying to hear her story, but mostly the episode was about OPRAH's insights into Sarah's situation. I had the feeling that Sarah disagreed with a lot of Oprah's comments or had differing opinions but was afraid to lose Oprah's support. So she sucked it in and nodded, "Oh, YES, Oprah! You are so right!"

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

It doesn't deserve it's own thread, but are there any comments on the Favorite Things show? I enjoyed the first hour showing the preparation and lead-up (the artistic director was like Hugh Jackman lite) but the show itself was almost too toned down. I was grateful for the lack of audience hysterics but the favorite things went by too fast -- I wanted to see more of them. Not sure why because I never buy anything she's pushing.

There's no pleasing me, apparently.

Edited by lordonia, Nov 19, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I was looking for the thread as well, I suppose it could go under Pop Culture shows, but you are right, it didn't deserve one. I hated the lead up part, but then I hated the Behind the Scenes shows, I hate the fake drama, and in this episode the fake enthusiasm of Oprah. I don't know why she said she wanted to do another of these shows because she hardly seemed into at all, maybe because it really has gone past her favourite things. She just seemed bored having to approve other people's picks. If I had to hear her say "that's faaaantastic one more time" I would have thrown something at my TV. She really seemed like she was phoning it in. It got a little better once she was with the spouses but that part went by so fast. I think Oprah has been separated from regualr people too long and it shows.

and really do you think people care if it is a surprise or not, as long as they are getting their stuff.

And was Oprah mad at Gayle, because she let her be portrayed as a big, fat, pig. I know she likes to eat....but that was too much.

And it was too much how they went on and on how they have to "present" everything to Oprah, like she would go batshit if there wasn't enough Christmas trees in the room.

I guess I can't be pleased, that whole show rubbed me the wrong way. (I have something to say about the spouse with the cast on her arm but it probably isn't nice.)

Edited by Blackie, Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

Bieber is her biggest interview since Michael Jackson? The kid who goes on the View and rides scooters and shit with Hasselebeck? He's not exactly elusive.

I quit pretty quickly into this one. The big giggle moment for me was when Bieber ordered french fries and O got a salad. Then talked about loving the french fries, but acted like she's some svelte gal. You're not, Oprah.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

The big giggle moment for me was when Bieber ordered french fries and O got a salad. Then talked about loving the french fries, but acted like she's some svelte gal. You're not, Oprah.

OMG, BlueSapphies, I swear I was coming here to post *just* about the french fries because that was my favourite part of the entire interview. You shoulda stuck around because it was all about the fries, LOL.

So, she orders him the fries because she says they are the best fries ever, and she orders herself the salad. Just as they get to talking, the server shows up and places the food down in front of them and Oprah is so obviously distracted by the fries being there, you could totally see it. Justin takes one to taste and then Oprah says she's going to eat her beets, but ahhh, what the hell, I'm gonna just reach on over and take one of your fries. Then you see her eating some more of them during the rest of the interview but never the salad. She says something to Justin about them again later in the interview, so he takes another one to be polite but says he doesn't want to talk with his mouth full. No worries, Justin, Oprah has no problems doing it. I was seriously giggling because it was more about Oprah & the fries than it was about Oprah & Justin. Hee. Perhaps having the interview in her favourite restaurant wasn't such a great idea ..

Poor Oprah and all of her food issues. That is one part of her life that she is just never going to get a handle on, ever.

Edited by Cementhead, Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:59 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I so wanted the little Bieb to ask Oprah when she was going to get married when she started scolding him about getting married young. I bet she would have choked on a fry.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

Please someone tell me what show will be Oprah going shopping in an actual department store for the first time. I saw a clip of it on a talk show tonight and have to see it!! She is singing and squealing going up and down an escalator in awe of a real actual store. She could not remember the last time she was in a store. I have hunted and can not find reference to it. Considering she has a video of her own store that was at Harpo and I guess she has Justin in a RL store I can not make sense of how she could be that fall removed from the world.
hope this is not OT but I have searched everywhere.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

It was for the favorite things special. I'm sure they are replaying it often before Christmas so you can see it.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Please someone tell me what show will be Oprah going shopping in an actual department store for the first time. I saw a clip of it on a talk show tonight and have to see it!! She is singing and squealing going up and down an escalator in awe of a real actual store. She could not remember the last time she was in a store.

I remember her shopping with her bbf Gayle during their big cross country road adventure. When they pulled into the nearest accomodations when on the lonely road, Oprah, just couldn't accept the motel's choice of linens. She convinced her bff that they just had to go get some finer stuff. I think it was a Bed Bath Beyond that they ended up in and Oprah was filmed just amazed at the selection. Similar to a few years later where she had her first experience at a Costco warehouse club.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

Thanks Morbs so she actually shops for her favorite things? I remember the amazement of Costco which might be understandable not having been in one but I saw online the video of her picking every litle aspect to the Harpo store so that is a store, and the Ralph lauren is a store and then there was the giant camp store in Yosemite.

Edited by athousandclowns, Dec 2, 2012 @ 3:01 AM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

If Justin Bieber is the next Michael Jackson, the end must be coming soon enough. **ugghhh**

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

I also remember Oprah being at Target for some decorating feature on her show -- she was amazed that throw pillows were $19 or whatever. And they were decent looking with nice fabric!!

I can easily believe that Oprah hasn't been in a department store for ages; why would she need to? But to have completely forgotten what a department store is like? So much so that the whole thing surprises her? Come on, Oprah. No one can live in that big of an opaque bubble.

Edited by lordonia, Dec 2, 2012 @ 2:57 PM.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Oprah has so many of her own shows on OWN that (god forbid) if anything happened to her the network would have to fold. You'd think she'd be working harder at creating shows without her for longevity of the network but maybe her ego won't allow it.

I don't know why she said she wanted to do another of these shows because she hardly seemed into at all, maybe because it really has gone past her favourite things. She just seemed bored having to approve other people's picks.

This! I always enjoyed favorite things but this was so disappointing. Most of the 2 hours was spent on her which meant the actual FS giving part felt rushed & crammed. Had to laugh when she started her name dropping. When she mentioned staying at David Copperfield's home (when introducing the spa set) you could see some of them rolling their eyes & mocking her.

I didn't like how she treated the man the way she kept poking fun at him. When she asked him about being a stay at home father (as if it was something completely odd) I liked how he threw it back saying its no different than being a stay at home mother.

And it was too much how they went on and on how they have to "present" everything to Oprah, like she would go batshit if there wasn't enough Christmas trees in the room.

I couldn't believe they went to that expense. All those trees & decorations were just ridiculous. You'd think they would be trying to keep costs down.

Then you see her eating some more of them during the rest of the interview but never the salad.

I bet she darted home & had her chef make her a big ass bowl of fries because of that.

Edited by curbed, Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:23 PM.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Oprah has so many of her own shows on OWN that (god forbid) if anything happened to her the network would have to fold. You'd think she'd be working harder at creating shows without her for longevity of the network but maybe her ego won't allow it.

I think she's trying to do just that - the problem is that shows do poorly when she's not on them, save Sweetie Pie's. She's keeping her face out there to keep OWN afloat.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

When I watched the interview with Steven Spielberg last night, I actually thought Oprah had finally learned to stop interrupting people she interviews. Nope. I watched because I wanted to hear what Daniel Day-Lewis had to say--since he's so very private and doesn't normally do the talk show circuit.

But the bitch couldnt' let the man finish his sentences. Finished it for him--answered the question she was asking for him, as he pointed out--well, you just answered it. Bugged the crap out of me.

I saw Lincoln. I loved it. But I don't see the movie as a gift or prayer or whatever the fuck Oprah meant when she kept saying that.

I wish Daniel had gone to talk on Charlie Rose. At least there, he wouldn't have been constantly cut off.

Why does she even bother to interview people? It's like she prefers to hear the sound of her own voice and answer the questions she poses.

And I'm glad I dvr'ed it, because I wasn't watching to hear her talk about how it's been almost 30 years since she auditioned for Sophia in The Color Purple, or anything about her. I wanted to hear about Steven. And hear what Daniel Day-Lewis had to say. So annoying. Why can't she just let people answer the questions/finish speaking?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

The movie is a prayer (nope, still just a movie)! And I was wondering how long it would take her to say "weep" .. damn, all the way to the Sally interview, but she said it!

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

And I was wondering how long it would take her to say "weep" .. damn, all the way to the Sally interview, but she said it!

I think she said many variations of 'weep' in the Spielberg and Day-Lewis parts as well. I deleted it after the Daniel Day-Lewis segment.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

When Sally is telling her long, drawn out story as to how she finally landed this role, with the big ending being that both Steven and Daniel called her on the phone and said ... Oprah goes ahead and interrupts before Sally can tell us all what they said. She finally got it out, but only after Oprah jumped in on her and ruined the whole flow of her story.

3 things I noticed the most during this show:

1.) How many times Oprah kept looking down to refer to her blue cards. I have never noticed it being that obvious before. As Steven, Daniel or Sally are looking at her answering her question, she often had her eyes down reading.

2.) Her looking slightly impatient a few times while Daniel was speaking because he wasn't speaking fast enough for her so that she could get to the next question or jump in fast enough to pontificate.

3.) How different her nose looked in those old Color Purple clips ...

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

When Sally is telling her long, drawn out story as to how she finally landed this role, with the big ending being that both Steven and Daniel called her on the phone and said ...

It was almost cute on The View, it was mildly amusing on Katie, now it's the story that won't shut up. Just shut up already Sally.

Now you're verging on the edge of "We really, really don't like you."

You're about to talk yourself out of another Oscar.

Oh, who am I kidding you must have the best PR team in Hollywood. Well, next to Whoopi and Marisa.

Edited by Xingu, Dec 3, 2012 @ 11:36 AM.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

And I'm glad I dvr'ed it, because I wasn't watching to hear her talk about how it's been almost 30 years since she auditioned for Sophia in The Color Purple, or anything about her. I wanted to hear about Steven. And hear what Daniel Day-Lewis had to say. So annoying. Why can't she just let people answer the questions/finish speaking?

Seriously, only Oprah could begin an interview with Steven Spielberg and make the first ten minutes all about her!

It was almost cute on The View, it was mildly amusing on Katie, now it's the story that won't shut up. Just shut up already Sally.

The story was told best, and first, on CBS Sunday Morning, but then again Mo Rocca knows how to conduct an interview. He ended by saying he wanted to see the movie version of how Sally got the part.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

The story was told best, and first, on CBS Sunday Morning, but then again Mo Rocca knows how to conduct an interview. He ended by saying he wanted to see the movie version of how Sally got the part.

Thanks for that. Ya gotta love, Mo. The sad part is is that I'd watch that movie.

Edited by Xingu, Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:51 PM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

I guess O didn't hear the story (or maybe this was taped before Sally went on that tour of telling how she got the part)? But it really bugged me when Sally very honestly said that A-list movies are just not what she gets offered anymore, and then O has to carry on about she can't believe such madness! Come on, you've been in the business forever, O (and you haven't gotten anymore movies yourself) - you know that an older woman doing TV is pretty much frozen out of better stuff.

Oh, and what's with people doing interviews where they don't even live? Sally's wasn't even in that house yet, and Carrie Underwood did her interview from some country cabin instead of whatever mansion she must live in.

Edited by BlueSapphires, Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Carrie Underwood did her interview from some country cabin instead of whatever mansion she must live in.

The cabin is owned by Carrie Underwood & she made that clear in the first few minutes of the interview. It is where she & her husband escape to get away from it all.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Yes, I know it was her cabin, but it was quite small and I wonder how often they actually go there. With busy careers I'm sure they're in their main house more and I would have liked to see where and how they live day to day.

Where was Fergie interviewed?

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

I guess O didn't hear the story (or maybe this was taped before Sally went on that tour of telling how she got the part)? But it really bugged me when Sally very honestly said that A-list movies are just not what she gets offered anymore, and then O has to carry on about she can't believe such madness! Come on, you've been in the business forever, O (and you haven't gotten anymore movies yourself) - you know that an older woman doing TV is pretty much frozen out of better stuff.

I may be confused, but I just don't get it. Sally has chosen to take roles like in Brothers & Sisters. For which she was paid pretty well. O chose to cast herself in Beloved, which failed miserably. Yet older women like Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Sigourney Weaver, Glenn Close, Jessica Lange, Jane Fonda et. al. are all doing pretty well.

Edited by Xingu, Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:15 AM.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

All Sally was saying was that if you're an established film actress and you decide to do TV, you lose some of your luster as a film actress, you're no longer on the A-list. That's just the way it is, Oprah should realize that. Since Glenn Close and Jessica Lange did TV shows you haven't seen them on the silver screen. (Glenn Close produced Albert Knobbs, a movie she starred in.) Jane Fonda took a 20 year sabbatical from movie making. Sigourney Weaver hasn't had a lead role in a film in decades. Judi Dench relied heavily on London stagework and British TV before hitting it big in Mrs Brown in 1997. Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren are it when it comes to women of a certain age playing lead roles.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

With cable television and the high quality of television now, I bet it has a lot more to do with Sally's age and the lack of roles and tons of competition than Brothers & Sisters. Sally's from the generation when there was much more of a distinction between TV and film actors, I think that has died out considerably. And IMO, Sally Field doesn't come close to having the range of Meryl or Helen.

Lincoln is such a snoozefest to me. Daniel Day-Lewis is wonderful, but impression acting is so boring to me. I'd much rather watch a Ken Burns' documentary about Lincoln than watch it recreated.

Edited by Morbs, Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:58 PM.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

I really enjoyed last night's episode with Kerri Washington, Shonda Rhimes and Judy Smith. My favorite segment was Kerri's, she was really firing on all cylinders especially talking about the transition from her character in Django Unchained and Olivia Pope on Scandal.

That's an interesting side to the tv vs movie actress. Kerri Washington has been in some seriously acclaimed movies, decided to do television and is being successful at both. Yea, she doesn't have the age factor playing against her but it's still interesting.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Dec 10, 2012 @ 11:37 AM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I was more interested in Judy Smith, but obviously she must remain private about her career so probably didn't have much she could say. But I'd love an in depth interview with her that got into the media and how to respond to situations.

I'm glad Shondra was honest about Katherine Heigl but didn't get too specific or nasty. Heigl is attached a T.V pilot now because her film career was destroyed by her personality and public image; she should have called Judy Smith.

Edited by Morbs, Dec 10, 2012 @ 1:28 PM.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

This is only the second interview I've seen with Judy Smith and she always comes off as so guarded and calculated in a way that's not surprising considering her line of work. That said, I was hoping Oprah might get her to react to the crazy things Olivia Pope is involved in. I wasn't hoping for much but I would have found it charming if she laughed about how even her career needs to be spiced up for TV.

As for the Heigl controversy, didn't she say that after the season when she was having ghost sex? I just remember at the time I thought there was a double-standard to the controversy considering that Heigl was in a plot that every Grey's fan I knew positively hated at the time and how people bitch that past Emmy winners shouldn't put their name back into consideration when they know there's a chance they might win on Emmy voter inertia and there are more deserving performances that year. Suddenly an actor doesn't enter the Emmy race in a year when fans were hating her story and its just awful. Her statement wasn't even close to vicious, she just said she didn't think her story warranted trying to get an Emmy.

Honestly, it's the kind of thing where I wonder if Judy Smith came up with the furor to get people to stop talking about how this was the season fans were turning against Grey's. I get why Shonda might have felt hurt, but the gossip rags reacted like she drew a mustache on a picture of Wendy Pepper's daughter.