Oprah's Next Chapter: Saving OWN from Folding Completely

• Please log in to reply

784 replies to this topic

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Watched the premiere with the Steven Tyler episode when it re-ran at midnight (after watching the Giants glorious thrashing of Dallas). I've always been a huge Aerosmith/Tyler fan, so I'm biased, but I loved it. Loved seeing him at his beautiful house on Lake Sunnapee. He supposedly recently got engaged to Erin Brady, who is reportedly unliked by his family. I didn't care for her. Loved watching Steven take Oprah deep into the woods to sit on the moss. I do think he freaked Oprah out a bit when he told her he connected with her before ever meeting her- the look on her face when they were in the car was priceless.

All in all, I liked the new format & seeing the little bits behind the scenes as well. I'll be DVRing this series.

watchinginRI

watchinginRI

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

I enjoyed watching this show, and set my DVR to record the series.

Good to see Oprah returning to what she does best, instead of those preachy "life lessons."

Will likely skip the Joel Osteen episode, though. Did I mention "preachy'" is not my thing?

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

wallybear, I didn't even think to tape it; maybe I should give it a try, if there's a repeat.

Love the title to the thread!

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

I didn't think I'd say this but I was glad to see Oprah back, (just because her last season was mostly so bad). But I don't like Anderson show and Dr Oz is getting as bad as Dr Phil, so there is something about Oprah.

I'm glad Oprah called both Steven and his daughter out on things that they said that were contradicting what they said in their books.

And seriously, yuk! who wants to have sex with an aging, druggy, Hep C pos rock star? (I know he's clean now but back when he wasn't)

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Aaaaand, she's back...
That wasn't much of a retirement from TV. Was the plan always that she would be in new content on OWN, or is this truly an effort to garner some heat for her channel?

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

OK, there's something really superficial that I want to know -- how did Steven Tyler's nose get shorter? Like, is he lying less?

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

There is so much that can be done with this channel, and I hope someone is smart enough to see that. I'm still waiting for the return of the show on miracles with new episodes.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 3:56 AM

I had to LOL when Oprah came walking down the driveway with two huge bushels of flowers. What was she thinking bringing two? He was rambling on & you knew she just wanted to set them down & be done with them. This is above & beyond better than her ego trip show Lifeclass. I enjoyed seeing his home & hearing his stories about it.

The network stress must be bad. Oprah looked like she has added even more weight on. Unless I missed it, I didn't see Sheri Salata's name in the credits. I guess now that Lifeclass is done O has her only working on OWN.

Edited by curbed, Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:33 AM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Ha, yeah.. the flowers. She brought that from her own garden? In California? How much did she have to pay to ship out her own fresh flowers and keep them looking so ...fresh? And yes, she's put on a ton of weight. Maybe she wanted to do this show to get busy again and stop eating.

I enjoyed it a lot. Although I thought two hours with Steven Tyler was a bit much. Joel whatshisname? No thanks.

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Oh how I've missed Oprah. I've missed yelling at the t.v. and all sorts of Oprah induced emotions. This did NOT disappoint.
First, she just about wet her pants when Steven Tyler began speaking of forgiveness. She just about exploded. I was all "Oh, snap, he just said the magic word!". Then she had to throw in the Maya Angelou quote about how when you know better you do better. It was so typical Oprah, right down to interrupting at the worst moments, at the moments where you really want the person to finish their thoughts.
When they were driving, Steven all of a sudden gushed about how lonely he was and something like Oprah is the only person who gets him? It reminded me of the times when I was in high school where a boy would profess his creepy love to you in a way that made you think he would hurt himself if you didn't go to the dance with him. It was weird!
And speaking of weird, check out Steven Tyler's feet! He and Oprah are for sure peas in a pod there too.
Favorite part--when they were in the woods I was thinking "Huh... didn't Gayle say that Oprah HATES the outdoors? And haven't I heard Oprah say that too?". My straight 11 year old son at the same time goes "Mom, pause it!! Doesn't Oprah HATE being in the woods? This is so wrong." So he picked up on it too.
All that said though, I do love Steven Tyler. I think he's so interesting and what a way with words he has. As gross as he is I can see how women can get wrapped up in him.
His girlfriend though, I wasn't getting a good vibe from her. As in tune with the universe as he seems to be, I don't know what he sees in her. Granted we only got a few minutes, but it was a bad impression over here on this side of the t.v.
Joel Osteen? Don't know much about him but I'm looking forward to hearing about how/why he lives the way he does. Do any megachurch leaders live modestly? I hope she addresses that. This is the one thing that raises the biggest red flag when I think about megachurches is why the extravagance? In the commercial he said something about you can feel if someone is genuine or you can tell by looking at him... Well... I don't know, bud. I guess we'll see after the next interview.
Yay, Oprah's back!!!!!!!!!

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Big numbers for Oprah. Well, sorta big. No doubt Idol-inspired, plus a subject that was interesting to both the male/female demographic.

OWN

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Joel Osteen? Don't know much about him but I'm looking forward to hearing about how/why he lives the way he does.

In one of the commercials it showed them in his lavish house, & Oprah flat out asking him where all the money comes from to live such an extravagant lifestyle. Can't wait to hear the answer to that one.

when Steven Tyler began speaking of forgiveness. She just about exploded. I was all "Oh, snap, he just said the magic word!". Then she had to throw in the Maya Angelou quote about how when you know better you do better. It was so typical Oprah, right down to interrupting at the worst moments, at the moments where you really want the person to finish their thoughts.

LOL, yeah, I thought the same thing- I was waiting for her to say, 'you watched my show, didn't you?!'

When they were driving, Steven all of a sudden gushed about how lonely he was and something like Oprah is the only person who gets him?

That made me so sad, & I really wished she'd gone deep there, & questioned him about it. He handed her what would've been the goose that laid the golden egg of the interview, & she didn't even get it.

His girlfriend though, I wasn't getting a good vibe from her. As in tune with the universe as he seems to be, I don't know what he sees in her. Granted we only got a few minutes, but it was a bad impression over here on this side of the t.v.

There have been multiple stories about the relationship for years that say that his family, esp. his kids, don't like her, & blamed her for his latest drug relapse. I really got a bad vibe from her too.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Didn't they just announce their engagement yesterday?

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

In one of the commercials it showed them in his lavish house, & Oprah flat out asking him where all the money comes from to live such an extravagant lifestyle. Can't wait to hear the answer to that one.

It appears that a lot of his money comes from all the inspirational books he has written. He's got quite a few of them out there.

"Huh... didn't Gayle say that Oprah HATES the outdoors? And haven't I heard Oprah say that too?".

Yep, that's what Gayle has said. It seemed to be an "Aha" moment for Oprah, but it was a WTF moment for me! I was sitting there thinking that she might not want to be snorting up wild mushrooms, considering the fungus and other bacterial type things on them.

Edited by Chit Chat, Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:22 PM.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

I used to go to his church (before I became way disillusioned with the way they do business) and honestly he was rich before the book deals. He used to talk about it in church, and he said he made a ton of money flipping houses/real estate. Is this true? Who knows. But this was the party line back in the year 2000.

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

My thing is, I don't care about how or where the dude got his money, but why he spends it the way he does. Everyone is entitled to do whatever the eff they want with their money, but when you're in a position like him, I think you have an obligation to be a tad more... modest. Just my .02, not everyone would agree.
We'll see if Oprah goes there. Hopefully she does because she was a tad off her game with ST, especially when she missed asking him more about what he said to her about being lonely.

lastchild

lastchild

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

hello everybody! you can't imagine how much aerosmith fan i'm, but i'm in a remote zone from venezuela so i missed the complete interview with steven tyler, can anyone here share it with me? maybe you wallybear?

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Sorry I missed the first one. I hate Joel Osteen (he screams, "Big Phony!" to me) so I would have skipped that, assuming it'd be a love-bath. But, if she actually asks about his lifestyle, maybe she's willing to be more critical.

I'm glad Oprah's back doing this and the new format sounds better in many ways than a studio. (I think she said in Yosemite that she loves the outdoors--not sure if she just means, "5 star Hotels with a veiw of the lake".)

Interesting to read that article linked about OWN--that one problem is that since O watches so little television herself, she thinks ideas are original when they aren't. I think that rings true. Hope she'll find a way to turn it around.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Oprah has said many times that she loves nature and trees and hiking. She said she bought her property in California because it had so many trees. I think she does not like camping.

I thought it was very WEIRD when ST came out with the lonely statement after O just met his family and his girlfiend and he seemed so lovey dovey with everyone. I think O just didn't want to go there. It seemed like a very manipulative statement on ST's part.

ETA: Oh I was so hoping that when Steve took of his shoe that O would have whipped of hers and said "Hey dude, check out these bunions!!"

Edited by Blackie, Jan 4, 2012 @ 8:06 PM.

lastchild

lastchild

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

The premiere will re-air tonight wednesday, Jan. 4 at 9:00pm EST , anyone can record for me please?

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

He supposedly recently got engaged to Erin Brady, who is reportedly unliked by his family. I didn't care for her.

Please, spill the beans.

And seriously, yuk! who wants to have sex with an aging, druggy, Hep C pos rock star? (I know he's clean now but back when he wasn't)

I respect anyone's feelings for liking any celebrity, but I'm with you. Yee-uck! I felt like I was going to catch some STD through my TV screen. (And those holiday pics of his moobs didn't help much.) I found him icky beyond belief. And phoney. And non-monogamous. And not straight and sober at all. I thought he was high as a kite. Especially when they were driving in his car. Who turns to someone they just met and gushes over how she gets you? Someone in high school. Not a 63 year old man. I don't believe for a minute that he's off drugs. But he has always squicked me out. I never got why anyone found him hot. My sister, who loves him, and I have often had this discussion. Plus I hate his voice. Although I will admit, while not to my taste, Aerosmith did put out some catchy tunes.

And I love behind the scenes shows. But only when they are stand-alone shows. I hate seeing behind the scenes segments in the middle of the show. It takes me out of the moment. I don't want to see camera guys, producers and sound engineers in the show. I don't want to hear about running out of tape or the changing of tapes. That's stupid. I especially hated seeing Oprah end a segment and get up off her chair and state, "That was great. Really good. Good stuff. That was great. Great, great, great." all while walking in the opposite direction of the guest! That was nothing more than her feeding her OWN already gigantic ego.

The network stress must be bad. Oprah looked like she has added even more weight on. Unless I missed it, I didn't see Sheri Salata's name in the credits. I guess now that Lifeclass is done O has her only working on OWN.

Oprah, why have you forsaken Sheri Salata? She is the only person who can save your network. Can't you please name her President/CEO of OWN and give her the freedom she needs? Oprah's size is as big as I've ever seen her. And that's all I'll say.

LOL, yeah, I thought the same thing- I was waiting for her to say, 'you watched my show, didn't you?!'

Yeah, but I was thinking his PR team watched her show and fed him the lines.

Joel Osteen? Really? That guy creeps me out more than Ted Haggard. And that's saying a lot.

According to my schedule, the only original programming on OWN is this show, Rosie's show and that guy in the wheelchair that "won" the contest. And his show is aired at 5AM on Saturday mornings. Great programming, Oprah. Do you really expect your network to last with this? 3 original programs a week? She should be ashamed.

Oh I was so hoping that when Steve took of his shoe that O would have whipped of hers and said "Hey dude, check out these bunions!!"

It's funny, cuz it's true. Hey, that can be a new show on OWN: Celebrities Ugliest Feet. Airing at 6AM, 9AM, 12PM, 3PM, and 6PM. Right between reruns of Dr. Shill and Undercover Asshat.

The premiere will re-air tonight wednesday, Jan. 4 at 9:00pm EST , anyone can record for me please?

Welcome to TwoP. As much as one might like to help you, recording a show for you is simply not an option on this site. But, not to worry, this show will be repeated ad nauseum. If you don't have OWN, you can catch most of the interview here: Oprah Interview with Steven Tyler (If I misinterpreted your request, I apologize in advance.)

Edited by Xingu, Jan 5, 2012 @ 5:19 AM.

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

Yes! I forgot to mention the feet! Oh Poor ST. But when he pulled off his socks, as gnarly as his feet were, they still looked better than O's corn feet. He looked like he had just had a pedicure, and that he has one every Friday morning.
And where did ST come from anyway? His dad kind of resembled him, but his mom, what little we saw of her, didn't have the huge features he has. Even his daughters have that look to them. But he's like totally out of the ordinary looking. He looked like an old man when he was in his 20's, but that could be because of the drug use.
He is skeevy, but for his age I think he looks pretty good all things considered. I wish he'd go back to plain brown hair though.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

I laughed when Oprah asked Steve if there was anybody who had taken more drugs than him. Oprah, meet Ozzy Osbourne.

I thought it was very WEIRD when ST came out with the lonely statement after O just met his family and his girlfiend and he seemed so lovey dovey with everyone

Well, ST did mention several times how Oprah is a "magical child" like he is, so I'm sure in his mind they had bonded for life.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

so I'm sure in his mind they had bonded for life.

Ya and I think that is what freaked the hell out of Oprah.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

I like that article posted above--Oprah fans just want Oprah....seems like it might just be easier if Oprah had a full time camera crew just film her doing whatever she does....and put THAT on OWN. I'm sure she understands from the BTS show that we liked that a lot so that's why they showed some of the crew and production stuff on the Steven Tyler interview.

I kind of thought it was funny how Steven held her elbow to help her walk out of the woods.....not so into hiking, methinks.

Notmuchofacook

Notmuchofacook

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

I don't like Oprah or Steve Tyler, but I watched the whole damned thing and was intrigued. I see Oprah hasn't lost her tic where she repeats everything two or three times as if it's the most important statement ever made. God, that's annoying. ST's house is beautiful from the outside. I love it and the location. The inside was a little confusing to me and I would have loved if the show had given us a tour. ST was bizarre, but I think Oprah is, too. I guess when you have the kind of celebrity life they have had, you become a little weird and certainly self-involved. I guess I'll keep watching as long as it's recorded and I can FF when I want.

Did she really release Sheri Salata? Really?

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

And I love behind the scenes shows. But only when they are stand-alone shows. I hate seeing behind the scenes segments in the middle of the show. It takes me out of the moment. I don't want to see camera guys, producers and sound engineers in the show. I don't want to hear about running out of tape or the changing of tapes. That's stupid. I especially hated seeing Oprah end a segment and get up off her chair and state, "That was great. Really good. Good stuff. That was great. Great, great, great." all while walking in the opposite direction of the guest! That was nothing more than her feeding her OWN already gigantic ego.

That annoyed me as well. I don't get what they were trying to do with that production technique. In a promo for the show, Oprah said something like, "We're not in the studio sittin' in those chairs anymore!" like this show would be soooo different because she went to the guest instead of the guest coming to her, so maybe the weird show-the-production-team thing is another way to differentiate this show? Showing the nuts and bolts instead of coming across as polished as the studio show? I dunno, but it didn't work for me either.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Did she really release Sheri Salata? Really?

No, Sheri still works at OWN. I don't know what her title is, but she tweets about OWN all the time.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I like that article posted above--Oprah fans just want Oprah....seems like it might just be easier if Oprah had a full time camera crew just film her doing whatever she does....and put THAT on OWN.

This? Is a brilliant idea. I would kill to see "A Year in the Life of Oprah". That would be must-see TV. Can you even imagine a BTS show of O's actual life? I'm sure she'd never allow it, but I can dream.

I didn't mean to imply that O let Sheri go when I asked why O had forsaken Sheri. I meant that O should empower Sheri with making OWN the network it can be. And I think Sheri is the person that can do it. I adore Sheri. My apologies for the confusion.

Notmuchofacook

Notmuchofacook

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Thanks, braggtastic, for the clarification re Sheri Salata. And Xingu, no apologies necessary as I am confused most of the time anyway.