Extreme Cheapskates

• Please log in to reply

463 replies to this topic

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I've been fascinated by dumpster divers ever since I saw a documentary (or maybe it was a news segment) on them last year. There are organized groups who go out and salvage all kinds of food from store bins, then make huge communal meals from it. Or, if they score a particularly large stash of a single item (say, tomatoes or broccoli), then they process these things for freezing/canning.

Perfectly good food does go to waste every day ... by some estimates, 40% of produce. Isn't that a crime? Even more criminal is that stores are now putting locks on their bins so that people can't get to the tossed-out food. Now, I've never dumpster-dived (nor do I have plans to ever do so), but I have to admit - I get it. If you youtube "freegans", you'll see loads of videos of people salvaging the waste and eating better than they ever could if they had to pay for it. Plus, there's a certain romance and thrill about sneaking around at night with flashlights, scoring free stuff.

I think, though, like hoarding or other extreme behaviour, that level of cheapskateness can become somewhat addictive, and gets entrenched the longer you live that lifestyle.

Edited by deedee2, Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:32 PM.

bluejedi

bluejedi

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

but the minute you start making kids eat road kill and having more than you can afford (note to road kill mom: in case you haven't been told or figured this out yet-monthly Birth control pills and a box of 72 condoms a month is WAY WAY cheaper than another kid) or you make your daughter wear clothes she gets teased in (the mom without a phone-your daughter has to be teased for the clothes you make her wear) and do without even a telephone (comeon..$100 a month plus for a landline phone??? Really? Come on, I have a prepaid cell phone for $30 a month) and making your family of 6 share 3 plates of food at a restaurant, forcing your boyfriend to piss in jars and keeping track the number of flushes some does is not being cheap or frugal. that's being an abusive control freak.

oh and to the lady with appliances from 1962-yes they *may* work but modernize them. Modern appliances are more cost effective than what you have. Plus it makes your home not look so....trashy.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

I've been fascinated by dumpster divers ever since I saw a documentary (or maybe it was a news segment) on them last year. There are organized groups who go out and salvage all kinds of food from store bins, then make huge communal meals from it. Or, if they score a particularly large stash of a single item (say, tomatoes or broccoli), then they process these things for freezing/canning.

Perfectly good food does go to waste every day ... by some estimates, 40% of produce. Isn't that a crime? Even more criminal is that stores are now putting locks on their bins so that people can't get to the tossed-out food. Now, I've never dumpster-dived (nor do I have plans to ever do so), but I have to admit - I get it. If you youtube "freegans", you'll see loads of videos of people salvaging the waste and eating better than they ever could if they had to pay for it. Plus, there's a certain romance and thrill about sneaking around at night with flashlights, scoring free stuff.

I remember seeing a segment about freegans on 20/20 or Primetime.

bestpbx

bestpbx

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

While I know we all have to protect the earth's clean water supply, I do not want to live in a world where everyone "goes" in a bottle and dumps it out in the yard.

Can you imagine the stench if everyone did this? The disease?

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much why people lived short lives in pre-plumbing days.

I just watched the episode about the Asian woman who was a CPA by day, dumpster diver by night. My hat's off to her living so cheaply in New York City, but I thought her friend who brought over his girlfriend to meet her for the first time was very stupid. He really should have said, "We may want to stop by Zabar's and get something we can actually eat." Just the thought of that food sitting on the curb in the summertime getting progressively more rotted with every minute. Blech!! And living without air conditioning in the city in the summer is another health hazard. People die during heatwaves without adequate cooling.

ShannenB2000

ShannenB2000

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Just watched the episode with Victoria the jar peeing control freak, since she's from my city. I guess I can say at least she's high end dumpster diving by going to The North Market, which is an upscale public market catering to foodies. At least the cake was in the original package so it was probably just past the sell by date so it probably wouldn't kill anyone, but I can't believe she was excited about finding rice buried at the bottom of a trash bag (probably from one of the restaurants inside the market.) I mean, that's open to the elements, ewww!

Also, I don't get why if her boyfriend was costing her so much extra money, why not just ask him to kick in more toward the expenses? Yes, your utilities will go up going from one person to two people, but your household income should also be increasing as well due to the extra person's paycheck. Unless he didn't have a job?

I kinda didn't get why people were so grossed out by the gathering of greens though. If they're washed correctly, what's the problem? Do they think their spring mix salad grows in bags? As long as it's someone who knows what they are gathering and they wash it, it's not really any different than picking it from your garden. Victoria seemed to at least mostly be picking greens that are edible, like mustard greens, versus just throwing weeds into their bowl. Although I don't know that I'd eat wild mushrooms picked by someone who isn't experienced or trained to do so. That can be very dangerous.

Edited by ShannenB2000, Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:24 PM.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Pee lady would save a lot of money if she got a part time job instead of picking pesticide covered weeds in a park or taking globs of cooked rice out of a dumpster. If her son actually let his kid eat that stuff than he is just as crazy as her.

The $25 anniversary guy was just fake. They just showed him letting his wife spend $135.00 for a few items in a clothing store and we are supposed to believe he saves so much money by getting an additional 20 cents off of fast food orders. I'm sure most if not all of these people are fake.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

Also would like to know what "free internet dating site" he uses that posts women's phone numbers so you can call them up directly, say "I think you're kind of cute" and set up a date. Done and done!

Craig's List, I assume.

forged salad

Is that made from AstroTurf? :-)

Even more criminal is that stores are now putting locks on their bins so that people can't get to the tossed-out food.

That's b/c they get sued by dumpster-divers who get sick from the contents of their dumpster.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

That's b/c they get sued by dumpster-divers who get sick from the contents of their dumpster.

Exactly. It's too much of a liability to leave the dumpsters open, so I don't blame businesses from doing what they have to do to prevent a multimillion dollar lawsuit because someone wants free grub.

Kay, the CPA, grossed me out. No new underwear in nearly 10 years? Feeding unsuspecting friend food from a dumpster? I get being frugal, but I have no doubt she has some kind of mental illness and addiction going on.

MurlocGurgle

MurlocGurgle

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Kate Hashimoto looked lonely and forlorn like she expected to have a nice visit with the guests. That was very weird. I'm surprised she's still employed by Price Waterhouse. In her case, she probably should save all her money because of rising property taxes and condo maintenance fees in NYC even Harlem and the fact that she seems very easy to fire to me.

BUT Kate and the fat dog rescuer seemed to me to be overreacting in an overly angry way to not being Silver Spoons. Her behavior is totally unlike working class families in New York City. It's like she feels that food not being free for HER is offensive and she is fighting back. I don't know what life is like at Price Waterhouse these days but I remember when Chinatown kids were doing Yoko Ono's tax returns - so maybe Kate lost her mind going over some eye-opening receipts.

Not everyone ENVIES, you know?

I wonder if Victoria the Millionaire got her son and daughter in law to be pleasant and eating because they want to inherit her wealth. Her boyfriend looked like Ed Begley Junior merged with French Stewart.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I also don't understand why people are grossed out about picking your own greens. I live on an open space and my Korean neighbor are always picking greens in the summer on the open space.

Wash. Wash. Wash.

When the 'cheapskates mom' gave the gifts made from the road kill. I thought the neighbor mom was going to get up and run out. lol

I had no clue that you could bargain down the price of gas.

Okay, so I was just reading the 'Huff Post' online 'weird news' comments and someone claiming to be Vickie Smith (posted 10:50 am 10/24) said that they "don't really eat roadkill" etc.

neptune42

neptune42

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

Kate Hashimoto looked lonely and forlorn like she expected to have a nice visit with the guests. That was very weird.

I felt sorry for Kaye, because she appeared not to get why her guests didn't want to stay. In her mind, she was a good hostess. She'd provided a meal and she had furniture for everyone.

Between the clutter and lack of air conditioning, I can see why the girlfriend wanted to flee. And that was before she ate dumpster food that had been heated in a pot.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

That's b/c they get sued by dumpster-divers who get sick from the contents of their dumpster

Oh, I know that's what they say .. or what they avoid saying (there's a youtube that I can't find right now, in which a man calls up a food chain's management and asks why they don't leave their bins unlocked so that the needy can help themselves. The management refuses to say the word "liability" and only dances around the issue so they don't look like pricks). There must be a legal way around that. I get that it's the capitalist way and all, but there's room for social consciousness, too. Even the Bible accounts for "gleaners".

But anyway, back to the show. Kate made me so uncomfortable. I'm sure she gets a huge thrill out of saving a buck, even at the expense of other normal joys, like - air conditioning, fresh food, a great haircut, and any kind of social life. The thrill of saving has surpassed all other thrills in her world, and that is terribly sad. Who is she going to leave all her money to? She certainly will never benefit from it herself, aside from the joy of having it sit in the bank. Pretty hollow life.

Sammie5

Sammie5

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

There is a way around it. We see "second harvest" trucks all over the city, picking up from restaurants.
http://www.2harvest....erv_food_rescue

I can't believe that this show isn't staged. I get the idea of being frugal, but I am not convinced that these people weren't acting, that's not the way they really live. The fact that they tell secrets to the camera "My family doesn't know that I have $100,000", I think makes is a big farce.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

What kind of an 'extreme cheapskate' is Terrence if he's with his wife when she spends over $130.00 at a consignment shop for a few items(?)

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

There is a way around it. We see "second harvest" trucks all over the city, picking up from restaurants.

We've got Second Harvest trucks in my city, too. It's brilliant.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Kate Hashimoto looked lonely and forlorn like she expected to have a nice visit with the guests. That was very weird.

Kay did seem quite lonely. There are great joys that can come from going on a vacation with a group of girlfriends, or a spa weekend, or even from a night out at a nice restaurant in NYC of all places. She's sacrificing those chances to have fun by being so reluctant to spend - I'm not convinced she has fun doing what she does as a freegan.

ShannenB2000

ShannenB2000

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

There was an article the other day (just finding it now) in our local paper about Victoria the Pee Jar Lady. Some highlights:

*She began being super frugal because she was married at 19 with a baby and divorced at 22 "poor and humiliated". She had a degree in parks administration but went back to Ohio State to get a accounting degree and had to be super careful with her money.

*She was able to retire from American Electric Power at 48.

*TLC found her through a message board on early retirement.

*She originally began dumpster diving to find feed for her chickens and ended up finding food for herself.

*The shower scene was staged, it was a re-creation of an actual fight she and Steve had.

*Steve does have a job, he's a corporate recruiter. It describes him as living in Delaware County (which is the next county north) so I'm guessing the whole moving in thing was also set up for the show.

You can read the whole article here: Cheapskates’ figure prefers less as best

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I like how Victoria says in the article that she doesn't want to be portrayed as a nut job. Sorry, that shipped sailed long ago, lady. Every one of these people portrayed on the show appears to have some kind of serious mental or social disorder.

seesaw123

seesaw123

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

The young guy who took the girl out on a date and ordered only 1 rib will find himself very lonely. What kind of girl wants to date a man who keeps the plastic utensils?
And the guy who wanted a cake for his wifes anniversary with no frosting? WTF is that about? When you're dead, that money is worthless.
Question for the ladies...how easy is it to piss in a bottle?

Edited by seesaw123, Oct 26, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Oh, I know that's what they say .. or what they avoid saying (there's a youtube that I can't find right now, in which a man calls up a food chain's management and asks why they don't leave their bins unlocked so that the needy can help themselves. The management refuses to say the word "liability" and only dances around the issue so they don't look like pricks). There must be a legal way around that. I get that it's the capitalist way and all, but there's room for social consciousness, too. Even the Bible accounts for "gleaners".

*Puts shawl over shoulders, gets out rocking chair* I had friends who participated in "Food not Bombs" way back in the 1990's. It's a group that salvages food, makes meals out of it and then have free meals out on the street and give it to anyone who wants to participate. They make it very clear where the food came from before people eat and part of the mission is to have the people that serve sit and eat and talk with the people that come to eat rather than have this invisible barrier across the service line of "We are giving you charity so we can feel awesome and you must be grateful, charity recipients." In the late 90's the Clinton administration finally signed a bill which excused individuals/companies from liability when they donate second hand goods and food, which made groups like Second Harvest possible. Before then, for example, a local bagel place wanted to give but were concerned about getting sued, so they would put all of the leftover bagels in a clean garbage bag and then place them on their back stoop at around the same time every night. A volunteer would then grab the bagels that they "threw out".

So the concern of getting sued shouldn't be from making formal donations. I know one old employer of mine put a lock on their dumpster just to prevent the mess that would result in someone going through it but I think the fear of a lawsuit is more myth than reality from my experience with other companies that do donate.

But anyway, back to the show. Kate made me so uncomfortable

Yeah, that was one person where I felt bad about them showing. She is very odd but basically a sweet person so that one kind of felt wrong.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

The main thing that bothered me about the Asian woman (Kate?) was that she didn’t use toilet paper. Gross. She ‘cleaned’ herself with water and a really tiny sliver of soap. I’ve heard of people who reuse toilet paper by putting it in the wastebasket, folding it over, or otherwise improvising, (I’ll skip the details) but Kate’s method just seemed really icky.

She appeared to live an unnecessarily pitiful existence, and I agree that she seemed to have some serious mental problems.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

The main thing that bothered me about the Asian woman (Kate?) was that she didn’t use toilet paper. Gross. She ‘cleaned’ herself with water and a really tiny sliver of soap. I’ve heard of people who reuse toilet paper by putting it in the wastebasket, folding it over, or otherwise improvising, (I’ll skip the details) but Kate’s method just seemed really icky.

They showed that clip on The Doctors yesterday.

bluejedi

bluejedi

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

I didn't know it was going to be on yesterday, otherwise I would have recorded it. What did they say about it?

seesaw123

seesaw123

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

They showed a segment where some cheapskate guy takes a girl out on a date to a BBQ place and only orders 1 rib. What kind of girl is going to be impressed with that? Isn't that the idea? To impress the girl? If they finally got around to sleeping with each other, do you think the guy would re-use the condoms? Wash them out and roll them up?

Edited by seesaw123, Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:55 PM.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

One Rib guy was an idiot, and I suspect, acting for the cameras.

I hated with a passion the guy who wanted the cake without frosting (how un-fun!)who would haggle with fast-food workers over the price of the meal. When I worked retail, there was hell to pay when your register was short. That guy is taking away these people's livelihood, or don't they matter, because they work fast food? Maybe someday it'll be him behind the counter arguing over 50 cents with a customer

seesaw123

seesaw123

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I hated with a passion the guy who wanted the cake without frosting (how un-fun!)who would haggle with fast-food workers over the price of the meal.

I felt real bad for his wife. Her self esteem must be in the dirt after being in a relationship with him for any length of time. Whats more important, saving a few cents or making your spouse happy and feeling valued? And secondly, that guy had a lot of gall. He ordered the food, they made the food and presented it to him. He knew the price before hand as the menu showed the prices. So the fast food joint made the food with the understanding that he was going to pay for it. Then when the food is made, he decides to haggle. Thats BS. If the food was $8.50 and he then wanted to pay 8 bucks, I would have raised the price to 9 bucks. This is not some third world country where that kind of shit is acceptable. I would have banned him from my establishment as well. He committed a fraud against the fast food place.

BTW... no one answered the question about peeing in a bottle. Come on ladies, someone must have done it once in their life. Did it get all over your hands and stuff?

Edited by seesaw123, Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I didn't know it was going to be on yesterday, otherwise I would have recorded it. What did they say about it?

Dr. Lisa said you should not be cheap when it comes to cleaning up down there. Go on The Doctors site and you can find the clip. Search the videos section and type "extreme cheapskates" in the search box. It's called "Health dangers of penny pinching".

If they finally got around to sleeping with each other, do you think the guy would re-use the condoms? Wash them out and roll them up?

That made me think of the Amy Dacyczyn (Tightwad Gazette lady) who washes baggies and ziplocs and reuses them. :)

Edited by MrsEVH, Oct 26, 2012 @ 9:31 PM.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

They showed a segment where some cheapskate guy takes a girl out on a date to a BBQ place and only orders 1 rib. What kind of girl is going to be impressed with that? Isn't that the idea? To impress the girl?

Usually . . .but I don’t think One Rib Guy was trying to “impress” his date at all. He was interested, and wanted to spend some time with her. So he allowed her to see him as he really is, up front right away – take it or leave it. She said although he was kind of strange she thought he was nice and she would go out with him again.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

That is similar to the episode today on Anderson Cooper's daytime talkshow which featured 'Frugal Friday' and he told the story when he was much younger he met a very nice beautiful girl who was a model and she was quite the fancy type of girl but he made sure that their first date would be quite a modest rib restaurant. He stated that he purposely did not want to take her to a high end schmancy expensive restaurant so he was setting the bar rather low and in fact I think he said he took her to the same restaurant five times. Still today, even though he was wealthy back then and still wealthier today, he just doesn't like to spend money.