The River: Paranormal Watertivity

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

361 replies to this topic

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

I found the son incredibly annoying with a really weird accent. I did like Leslie Hope as the mother.

I couldn't figure why Spanish speaking people would be so familiar with folk magic, etc on the Amazon. Shouldn't they be speaking Portuguese?

There were some effectively scary moments with the Blair Witch shaky cam, but the whole conceit of the TV filming doesn't appeal to me. Mixed feelings about the show, but I haven't seen anything like it on TV.

ninahdevi

ninahdevi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

A.J. is SHAWN PARKES!!! AKA Zachary Cross Flane from Doctor who's Impossible planet/Satan pit, also Moses Jones... I've always liked him. Hope they don't kill him off too soon.

Actually if Jehal and her dad and A.J. took off in the boat for their own show- maybe a travelog about where to find eats and alcohol in the amazon I'd enjoy that!

I'll probably watch the rest just to see if it finds it's grove- the pacing was what bugged me most- I think a bit of a slower start with more plot and character setup would have helped. Also Lincoln's acting in the first scene nearly had me switching the channel but I liked him when he was playing doctor with Lena.

Edited by ninahdevi, Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:25 AM.

ljp

ljp

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

This was not good. When my attention started wandering it was a bad sign. And I'm usually all for bad horror-I was glued to the screen for American Horror Story. The characters were generally unlikeable and I don't see how the premise will sustain an ongoing series. All the clues to finding him have to forever just lead to more clues unless they find him and the show morphs to something else. The problem is that I'm not interested enough to take a chance on another wild goose chase a la Lost that will just frustrate me unless I know there is a payoff. And there doesn't appear to be one from what I'm hearing. We are sure this isn't a one season show, right? Well, planned I mean-I know it could end up canceled.

Edited by ljp, Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:26 AM.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

• Interests:Child welfare and social reform

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

I hated this, and I had been really looking forward to it, too. It wasn't scary at all, and it was too stupid to be funny.

All the The River did was make me even more nostalgic for LOST, its cleverness and great storytelling; its heart. The River, for me, joins Falling Skies and Terra Nova, all shows with promise but no smarts, no heart, no intrigue at all.

jadesfire

jadesfire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I too was having a hard time handling the shaky camera.

I found the son incredibly annoying with a really weird accent.

Well, the actor is British (but he has appeared in a lot of stuff with an American accent) so he was probably making his voice more nasally to sound more American.

This is probably really weird, but I kept expecting them to say the son had a drug problem or something after being estranged from his father. He just looked so skinny and something about his demeanor just reminded me of a recovering addict. Totally out there statement, I know.

Lemuria

Lemuria

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one going, "Wow, this sucks!" It's not that there isn't a certain creepiness to it (and, chickens**t that I am, I tend to look away a lot) but could there be a bigger bunch of idiots? (In the mother's case, obsessive idiot.) Starting with: I'm sitting there in disbelief watching them work at opening a door sealed from the outside. Gee, what does that scream to someone with an IQ above zero? Maybe, oh I don't know, they were trying to keep something locked inside? And since it's more than 6 months since Daddy went walkabout, it's unlikely that anything sealed in there--if it were human--would still be alive and banging on the door, no?

And I love when something otherworldly happens, and everyone sees it, but then they, or some of them at least, suddenly have a senior moment the next time something spooky happens, and they dismiss it. Not to mention the sheer stupidity of actually deciding to keep searching on their crippled boat, after they've already lost one expedition member to something supernatural, rather than getting their idiot asses out of there.

I also hate that damn shaky cam (shouldn't their batteries be dead by now? Please). My labrynthitis isn't overly fond of it, either.

Darn. I had such high hopes for this.

ninahdevi

ninahdevi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Actually maybe instead of watching this next week I'll just rent "Monsters" again, it's SOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Edited by ninahdevi, Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:04 AM.

montferrat

montferrat

Fanatic

• Interests:Hiking, Swimming, European history, Gay Spanish Films, Coffee Table Books, and Bad Slash Fiction! Oh yeah, and TV too!

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But I was under the impression that this was only going to be 8 episodes total. Like a Harper's Island type thing. If it's just a mini series, then I think the pacing is fine. But if it's supposed to come back next season...eh...

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

I couldn't figure why Spanish speaking people would be so familiar with folk magic, etc on the Amazon. Shouldn't they be speaking Portuguese?

Parts of the upper Amazon basin reach into Spanish-speaking countries - Peru and Bolivia, mostly. Iquitos, Peru, really was a center of the rubber industry, although the peak of the Amazon rubber boom was late in the 19th and early in the 20th century, later than the gravestones seemed to indicate, if I was reading them right.

I agree that the show was a bit disappointing and too obviously derivative of Lost and Paranormal Activity, among others. And that the people act unbelievably stupidly (besides the basic stupidity of carrying on with the mission after multiple attacks by obviously supernatural forces).

I'll give it another episode or two because I'm curious about "the source" and who the security guard - who, by the way, appears to be the only member of the team with any common sense, evil though he may be - was talking to about it.

WRT the ages of the mother and son: Joe Anderson (Lincoln) turns 30 this year, which is about the right age for his character, based on his apparent age in the late-80s footage. Leslie Hope (Tess) will be 47 later this year, so she's playing a character a bit older than her actual age, but not impossibly so.

Edited by A Little Edgy, Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:09 AM.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But I was under the impression that this was only going to be 8 episodes total. Like a Harper's Island type thing. If it's just a mini series, then I think the pacing is fine. But if it's supposed to come back next season...eh...

As far as I know, it's 8 episodes (so 6 eps left, after those first two) for season 1. And a season 2 if the show's a success.

Edited by Kaoteek, Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:27 AM.

HalfDutch

HalfDutch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

Thomas Kretschmann and Paul Blackthorne! So many 24 actors, you've got to love that. I'll admit, I was thoroughly creeped out at several points. I've never seen a Paranormal Activity film, fwiw, maybe that's why I liked it more than some of you?

Totally have the same quibbles as everyone else, though, especially about plunging a fresh wound into Amazonian waters. And then the making a big deal about tracking one little infected bug bite.

Also, there is also no way in hell I would nuzzle a teddy bear that's been tied to a spirit tree in the jungle for probably 15 years against my face. Eww.

And none of the rescue team noticed the huge spatter of blood outside the panic room? (That was there before Lena got hurt, yes?)

Edited by HalfDutch, Feb 8, 2012 @ 3:13 AM.

networkzero

networkzero

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 3:35 AM

I liked it, thought it was fun. Wasn't the greatest thing ever, but doesn't have to be, just has to be fun, and for me it was. Yeah, i saw some of the things coming, but i didn't care, it was fun. It kind of reminds me of some of the british shows i've been watching lately (the fades specifically). I missed having a nice supernatural show with creepy magic going on, sort of like Millennium and early X-Files.

Actually maybe instead of watching this next week I'll just rent "Monsters" again, it's SOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Really?? That snooze fest of giant octopi? :P

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 6:20 AM

The second hour was like watching Supernatural: The Amazonian Saga. We'll give dead girl what she wants- her mom- to get mom back! I was half expecting them to follow that up with digging up dead girl and salting and burning her bones.

I got distracted- what was the signifigance to that tattoo or scar on the back of Lena's neck?

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

I got distracted- what was the significance to that tattoo or scar on the back of Lena's neck?

Lena's birthmark is the same pattern as the one on Emmet's pendant that he passed down to Lincoln. A shaman couple (as old as the hills) initially gave Emmet the pendant, saying that he would one day meet a child who was strong enough (to do what, we don't know), and that he'll know the one as soon as he saw him, and naturally he assumed that child would be is son. But apparently it's not.

I was half expecting them to follow that up with digging up dead girl and salting and burning her bones.

That element reminded me a bit more of Dark Water (or The Ring, to a lesser extent).
As for the show, I enjoyed it overall. There are issues, but I think there's a lot of potential, and by the end I thought they told some good ghostly yarns. The mixed online reaction made me realize that I really want it survive more than I thought I would.

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one going, "Wow, this sucks!" It's not that there isn't a certain creepiness to it

Agree. Guess the creepiness is supposed to distract us from the poor acting and silly dialouge. That is, when I could actually hear what the actors were saying; everyone was either screaming or whispering.

Starting with: I'm sitting there in disbelief watching them work at opening a door sealed from the outside. Gee, what does that scream to someone with an IQ above zero? Maybe, oh I don't know, they were trying to keep something locked inside? And since it's more than 6 months since Daddy went walkabout, it's unlikely that anything sealed in there--if it were human--would still be alive and banging on the door, no?

Yes - and Mommy keeps yelling, "Emmett, we"re here." Really? Did she expect a response?

I agree that the show was a bit disappointing and too obviously derivative of Lost and Paranormal Activity, among others

Very disappointing. The concept is interesting but the execution was just awful.

Edited by lovesduncan, Feb 8, 2012 @ 7:41 AM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

I did like Leslie Hope as the mother.

It's always good to have Leslie Hope's cheekbones and chin back on tv.

mentalpretzel

mentalpretzel

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I'll give it one more episode before I give up. Damn, that was dull somehow. The doll face monkey scare was great, but I was sort of rooting for the whatever-the-hell to eat them by the end of the first hour.

MiniDriver

MiniDriver

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

I love you people. Bad script, bad acting, cliches abound... but I still kinda liked it and might tune in again.

Lena is definitely the golden child, and almost certainly was having an affair with Emmet.

Lincoln certainly seemed twitchy, which made me think "addict" too.

The thing I liked best was the contrast between the chirpy clips of the World of Magic or whatever Emmet's show was called and the tension in the footage they found of Emmet and in the search for Emmet.

I thought the child actor playing Lincoln convey the boy's ambivalence to his father, animals, and the show very well.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I thought the child actor playing Lincoln convey the boy's ambivalence to his father, animals, and the show very well.

Yeah, they did a good job of casting there.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Parts of the upper Amazon basin reach into Spanish-speaking countries - Peru and Bolivia, mostly. Iquitos, Peru, really was a center of the rubber industry, although the peak of the Amazon rubber boom was late in the 19th and early in the 20th century, later than the gravestones seemed to indicate, if I was reading them right.

Except there was a title at the beginning of the show that indicated that one or the other of the boats was in the Tocantins area of Brazil, which is about 1000 miles southeast from Iquitos. That in itself was odd since that is more in Eastern Brazil on a southern tributary of the Amazon which upriver goes towards Brasilia, not towards the deepest rainforest.

Starting with: I'm sitting there in disbelief watching them work at opening a door sealed from the outside. Gee, what does that scream to someone with an IQ above zero? Maybe, oh I don't know, they were trying to keep something locked inside? And since it's more than 6 months since Daddy went walkabout, it's unlikely that anything sealed in there--if it were human--would still be alive and banging on the door, no?

I thought the same thing at the time, but we're watching the show expecting something creepy. They on the show are not. They don't know how long the room has been sealed and know there are supplies inside. If you heard someone screaming what would you do, just leave it?

I was more scratching my head about the concept of a panic room on a boat, which is like locking yourself in the trunk of your car if someone's trying to steal it. I didn't get the point - it's not a house that doesn't move.

ninahdevi

ninahdevi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I thought it was implied that it could be Pirates or assailants of some sort who welded the panic room shut- as a "F*** you" (and deterrent of any retaliation)to anyone who locked themselves in there. So most likely assumption would be- "humans in there, get 'em out".

If it was so essential to leave it sealed why didn't Emmet leave a big ol' warning scratched into the door?

also, Networkzero

really?? That snooze fest of giant octopi? :P

I like "Monsters" more for the alienation of the two travelers than any giant alien conflict going on offstage. I loved the subtle awesomeness of the alien stuff we did see and the sort of dream-time apocalypse feel to it, just my cuppa tea I guess. I just think it more effectively captured what "the River" is aiming for, with less flailing.

Rethinking what I saw last night, my favorite touches were the ubiquitous dragonflies and Jehal's refusal to speak English. She obviously understands it and is intelligent enough. But why the hell does she need to speak English to the lazy Americans who have been traveling to the Amazon on and off for at least the last 10 years (the kids practically grew up there). They're in her country they should be speaking her language (which should probably actually be Portuguese, but whatevs) .

Now that I see this is going to be only 8 episodes to a conclusion ( I LOVE tv written with a definite timeline and clear ending in mind, BBC and Bab5 FTW) AND that Jacob Clifton is recapping, I'm in for the ride.

Edited by ninahdevi, Feb 8, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

JayeEmm

JayeEmm

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

That was just plain bad. Not in a "it's so bad it's good" way, just bad. I've been known to watch some stupid tv in my time, but no. Just no.

Worst line out of a lot of awful lines (and I believe it was repeated twice) "There's magic out there!" Ugh.

Team Smoke Monster!

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Now that I see this is going to be only 8 episodes to a conclusion ( I LOVE tv written with a definite timeline and clear ending in mind, BBC and Bab5 FTW)

I have't seen that this is a mini-series concept with a conclusion. I read that it is 8 episodes mostly due to scheduling constraints with the return of Dancing With The Stars and if it does well, it would come back next season, like any other series.

Edited by Rickster, Feb 8, 2012 @ 10:52 AM.

electricfish

electricfish

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

What an odd show. I'll give it another episode or two, but my hopes aren't very high.

I'll give them a pass on the spanish speaking mechanic? and daughter. They were part of the team that's been following Emmett around the world for years and years, so who knows where they joined up.

Lincoln was disturbingly gaunt. I kept waiting for them to mention his fight with cancer or something to explain it, but since they didn't I fully expect "found footage" of him starving in a cage to show up at some point.

I thought the first half made very little sense. The son goes to all the trouble of trapping the rico suave (or whatever, lol) in the coconut shells and then just tossed it overboard? That thing didn't even seal. Why did he think it would hold? How much blood is needed to open it, and does it have to be human? Since they didn't seem to know, they should have buried it, or sealed it back up in the panic room.

The second half was a straight up ghost story, and much more fun. I wonder how long they had to film that monkey to get the shot exactly right?

Shenanigan

Shenanigan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Pretty sure the doll tree was based on this real-life location in Mexico.

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

This was bad y'all! The mother in particular had some horrible dialogue. First with the "One for no, two for yes" crap she was shouting at the smoke monster. Then the "We're going to save Emmett Cole TONIGHT!" all while staring into the camera. I'm positive there was a third but I can't recall at the moment. ETA: Oh, it was her shouting "What do you want?!" at the tree of dolls! Damn I wanted her to get dead.

I suffered through Lost, I won't get sucked in again!

Also, there is also no way in hell I would nuzzle a teddy bear that's been tied to a spirit tree in the jungle for probably 15 years against my face. Eww.

I thought I was in the Hoarders forum for a second. Heh.

Ratings:

ABC's The River premiered modestly and below most of the predictions in our poll scoring a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating in its first hour and a 2.2 rating and its second hour (and it fell consecutively each half hour 2.5, 2.4, 2.3, 2.2).

9pm -2.5/6 18-49 rating, 8.20 million viewers
10pm - 2.2/6 18-49 rating, 6.82 million viewers

Edited by crimsongrl, Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

sort of like Millennium and early X-Files

Isn't the Glen Morgan involved in this show the same guy who was involved in those?

One thing I didn't catch: why was it that that beacon they tracked down within 6 hours wasn't found in the initial 6-month search?

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

One thing I didn't catch: why was it that that beacon they tracked down within 6 hours wasn't found in the initial 6-month search?

One of the mysteries. Maybe it was activated after the search was over.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

There was a clip from the nature show saying it was Episode 170-something or 190-something from 1988. But at the start of the episode, they said the nature show debuted in 1988 and was on Saturday nights.

How did a weekly show get up to such a high episode number in its first year on the air?

Were there more Saturdays in 1988?

Also how stupid is it to go into the jungle water right after being stitched up.

Pretty damn stupid.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I was under the impression that this was only going to be 8 episodes total. Like a Harper's Island type thing.

I surely hope so, for two reason:
1) These special premise shows do much better when there is an end game plan, rather than random writing season after season, with no idea how or when to resolve it.
2) I think there is a huge need for these limited-episode shows, a la Harper's Island, which I watched all the way through and - in spite of its flaws - have a fondness for. Done well (therein lies the rub), a limited-episode show could be awesome.

The mom reminds me of Jerri Manthey from Survivor, so all I'm thinking is that this is Survivor: Amazon River.

I didn't really expect this to be a horror/creepy show (in spite of the "from the producers of Paranormal Activity or whatever), so I wasn't expected to be scared. I was expecting a jungle adventure show, which is what we got. I was entertained enough, in spite of the ridiculousness of going in the dirty water with a fresh wound. And where were all the animals and insects and fish and snakes? I thought the Amazon river and jungle were a treasure trove of wildlife.