The River: Paranormal Watertivity

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

361 replies to this topic

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-river

The River follows the story of wildlife expert and TV personality Emmet Cole. Emmet set course around the world with his wife, Tess, and son, Lincoln, while filming what would become one of the most popular shows in television. After he goes missing deep in the Amazon, his family, friends and crew set out on a mysterious and deadly journey to find him.

Famed explorer Dr. Emmet Cole (Bruce Greenwood) went looking for magic deep in the uncharted Amazon and never returned. The shocking truth about his disappearance is out there, somewhere, just waiting to be discovered. To the millions of kids who grew up watching his nature show, Dr. Cole was a hero. To his own son, Lincoln (Joe Anderson), he was more of an enigma. Now, six months after he vanished, Lincoln is finally ready to bury the past when Dr. Cole's emergency beacon suddenly goes off. At the urging of his mother, Tess (Leslie Hope), Lincoln reluctantly joins her on a search for his father. To fund the rescue, they agree to let Dr. Cole's cagey ex-producer, Clark (Paul Blackthorne), film the mission documentary-style. The mixed crew of old friends and new acquaintances includes the sexy and resourceful Lena (Eloise Mumford), loyal mechanic Emilio (Daniel Zacapa) and lethal bodyguard Captain Kurt Brynildson (Thomas Kretschmann).

Priemieres Tuesday February 7, 2012 on ABC (9pm EST)

Edited by djsunyc, Dec 27, 2011 @ 2:16 PM.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

This was probably my most anticipated show during pilot season. The concept is interesting and the reviews have been positive. Too bad there aren't that many episodes in the first season. Another thing that worries me is that the producers said that the show is more like X-Files than Lost. Even though I love both of those shows, The River seems better suited to a serialized ensemble mystery rather than a supernatural case-of-the-week show.

flyingleap

flyingleap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 12:32 AM

Another thing that worries me is that the producers said that the show is more like X-Files than Lost.

The trailer didn't seem like X-Files or Lost. It seemed like Blair Witch Project. Not the kind of thing you could keep up for any significant fraction of a TV show season, let alone several seasons.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

http://www.americans...-river-season-1

"The River is different in many ways from the Paranormal franchise, because it is geared towards a different audience. We did try to capture a lot of the scares and the realism that happens in found-footage movies, but it's not exactly the same. It's a little bit different, but we did have to learn a lot of things. For example, when you have the cameraman and they're following the dialogue, they cannot know in advance who's going to be the next character who's going to say something. They should not be privy to the information. So they have to discover the action rather than anticipate. For a lot of this kind of stuff, we had to train ourselves while we were shooting the series."

Crandle

Crandle

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I saw an early screening of the first two episodes of this show, and it was enough to get me to put it on my Tivo. There were a few nagging items (why would they do this/that) type problems, but I'm willing to see how it progresses.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I saw an early screening of the first two episodes of this show, and it was enough to get me to put it on my Tivo. There were a few nagging items (why would they do this/that) type problems, but I'm willing to see how it progresses.

Cool - looking forward to it. Which show/movie would you compare it to or is it totally unique?

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

I might check this out tonight, but i'm confused.

Is it more of a sci-fi/thriller show, or a drama/exploration?

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Based on the pilot, it's a mediocre attempt to mix found footage stuff like Cannibal Holocaust (for the setup) & Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity (for the multiple security cam/handheld POV in the boat), with a more traditional tv show format, cookie-cutter characters (the sexy latina girl who endlessly spouts off about her people's legends in spanish, the reluctant son, the EEEEEEEEEvil producer...), and bland storytelling.

Problem is, half of the cast is at least semi-famous (which defeats the purpose of the found footage genre), the sound effects & music cues are intrusive, the CGI are weak (glad to see that Lost's Black Smoke has a new job), the ad breaks are obvious and unimpressive... so the whole endeavour is neither convincing as a pure drama (too bland and cliché, and with silly dialogue), nor as a believable found footage doc. It's somewhere in between, and fails at being even remotely scary.

Not convinced, but I'll give a try to the second ep.

Edited by Kaoteek, Feb 7, 2012 @ 8:24 PM.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Way too much Blair Witch shaky cam. The mother was very annoying. Using rubber rafts on the Amazon seems like suicide. Also how stupid is it to go into the jungle water right after being stitched up.

I actually think the premise of the show is decent. The writing, acting and direction in this pilot was very sub-par.

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

I was exhausted watching everyone trying way too hard to make something of this and failing. Not even for you Paul Blackthorne, sorry,

ETA - Emmett, you need to work a lot harder on the "borrowing", Esmeralda Weatherwax would not be impressed.

Edited by pyralis, Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:01 PM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

Dolls are creepy.

That's really all I have to say.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Seriously, people? Don't sleep under the freaky doll trees. Or taunt them. Or take things off them. You fucking idiots.

I sure hope Jahel makes it. Even possessed out of her mind she (and her dad) seemed to be the least stupid of the bunch.

This show is ridiculous. But it was enjoyably ridiculous, so I'll keep watching.

Ghanima

Ghanima

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

That was really disappointing. There were so many nitpicky things that stood out.

The blond girl gets a terrible cut in her leg and is barely able to limp around, but then in the next scene she's neck deep in water? Wouldn't the doctor advise her to keep that dry, or at the very least out of dirty river water? Meanwhile, there are five uninjured, fully capable people, who aren't busy fixing the engine, who could have done it, what were they doing? Then, in the next episode she's running around without any problems?

There's a ton of light for the night shoots, but no bugs other than the dragonflies? They should have been covered in mosquito bites within seconds.

So it's night, why don't we make camp in this Lovecraftian version of Valley of Dolls, but we're not going to set watch or sleep in any sort of pattern that will maximize our safety, just set up your tent wherever, it's clear from all these fake dolls that there are never any people here and who cares about jungle animals, am I right?

The straggly blonde guy catches a demon spirit between what looked like two coconut shells, but the next night, he all skeptical about spirits and leaving his bear in the tree? I hate when characters ignore the obvious facts of their universe the writers have created within the show.

"We can't go running through the jungle at night, it's too dangerous!"
Next scene: shot of everyone running through the jungle at night, chaos ensues.

I really didn't like any of the actors, there was no sense of personality other that "jerky" from all of them, the only exception were the boat's mechanic and his daughter. The mother was especially obnoxious. It was also utterly humorless. I get that it's horror, but a little joke every now and then would have gone a long way.

There were some legitimate scares: the mom climbing out of the ground, the monkey with the doll head, the scene of Captain Pike walking on the water was excellent, but the rest of those videos were laughable.

I am intrigued with the hired gun character and who he's really working for, but the producer hears him threaten to "put down" the man they've come to save, and then does nothing?

Really, really bad foreshadowing: those kids are gonna get married some day, you will bring balance to the force, whatever.

Edited by Ghanima, Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:07 PM.

ciarra

ciarra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I watched up until the boats were wrecked, set adrift. The dark-haired girl tipped the scale for me, with her "bad mojo" predictions. Too much of a slog, even with the promise of Bruce Greenwood (eventually?) showing up.

navine

navine

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

I am ROTFLMAO at this show ....... which I kind of doubt is the reaction they're looking for.

A few nitpicks, because I just can't help myself ---

Is this a magic ship? Given the name, maybe so --- because -- just how big is it? It looks much bigger on the inside than it does from the outside. And after being run aground in the Amazon for months, and all icky-poo inside (demons aside) ... they get it up and running? And what are they doing for fresh water? And food for all those people?

I can't take all the running around in the dark and screaming. I will guess a good 50% of these first 2 eps were running around and screaming in the dark. With a little running around and screaming in the light.

Was ANYONE surprise when the other doll closed its eyes?

My big laugh of the night was when all the dolls fell off the trees.

The spirit of Mr. Missing-guy as a big dragonfly flying into I-only-speak-Spanish girl's mouth and then taking up residence in her was also LMAO-worthy.

I also loved the German-weapons-guy whispering ... while he's being filmed. ROTFLMAO again!!!

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Take a knife and slash your palm in the Amazon, then the next day, no bandage! no wound! Amazing Amazon Magic!

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I'm glad it's not just me. Most of the reviews I read were positive, and as a horror junkie (and fan of Paranormal Activity) I was maybe too excited for this show, but I was SO disappointed. Definitely rolled my eyes and laughed moreso than I was ever scared, and I couldn't get on board with any of the characters or the mythology. Just too poorly executed, even though all the elements were there for something really good.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Well, it was utterly ridiculous but I couldn't stop watching. I'm such a sucker for ghost stories, jungle adventures, and stuff that takes place in the Amazon. At least the second hour picked up a great deal from the first. I'm just waiting for the Spanish girl (she's totally Mexican, the father is totally Spaniard, hilarious) to mumble a prayer and cross herself to complete the stereotype. All in all, not good, not bad, and I'll suffer through the whole thing.

BTW, "The Source"? Really? Too bad Jorge Garcia is on Alcatraz, otherwise we could have him come wandering out of the jungle telling the explorers to turn around because the light is bad.

peridot16

peridot16

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I liked the show. It's been awhile since I've seen anything creepy on TV.

When they were running in the woods, it scared the hell out of me when they showed the little girl chasing them. Also, when the cameras showed how Emmet's son was gradually being pulled out of his tent and stopping when he moved.

I noticed some similarities between the Paranormal Activity movie and this with the possessed girl watching people sleep and people being pulled from their beds while they are sleeping. Still creepy though!

The season looks to be good, I wonder what the source is and what the symbol has to do with anything.

HeadlessOne

HeadlessOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

My impression of the pilot is a favorable one, but I fear that may be more the result of the mythology that the series wants to explore than the merit of the show (writing, acting, overall execution, etc.) itself. Indigenous magical traditions have always intrigued me, principally because I like to believe that the cultures to which they belong have a grasp of reality that far exceeds our Western materialism. When the "rescue" crew found the footage of the father literally holding fire, I knew the show would deal in some of the subjects that fascinate me. And it didn't disappoint in that respect.

Also, it was nice to see Paul Blackthorne again.

Like another poster said, I'll tune in for the second episode.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

When they were running in the woods, it scared the hell out of me when they showed the little girl chasing them.

Heh. I used the slow motion feature on my DVR to go back and get a better look at her . . . because I apparently want to have nightmares tonight . . .

The footage of Emmet holding fire in his hands and walking on water were probably some of the creepiest moments for me . . . not sure why.

realityremote

realityremote

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

I'm just happy to see the Smoke Monster is still getting work ( and it didn't even have to move off of Oahu!).

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I think this is gonna be one of those unintentionally funny shows...I'm just waiting for a gigantic anaconda to jump out of the water... :)

Edited by djsunyc, Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

We have a jumble of the herky-jerky of Blair Witch, the Smoke-Monster of Lost, probably a bunch of stuff from X-Files, and creepy, creepy dolls from Stephen King. Also a lot of obvious suspension of belief, such as how do they have enough power to run the cameras and flashlights, why a girl who hangs out with Great White Scientists doesn't speak an iota of English, why they didn't post a guard during sleepy time, and oh, I guess, why they're all there in the first damn place.

Hate the Mother -- no wonder the Dad left her and probably was doing Lena. Love AJ the Cameraman -- he's the voice of the audience in this one. He will probably be the first to die.

AuntieL

AuntieL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Dolls = creepy. Doll tree = creepy as fuck. No way in hell would I camp under that tree (well, no way would I be clomping around the Amazon but thats just me) . The show kept my attention and made me go whoa a couple of times. I knew that one doll would do something as soon as he turned his back but was still startled when it turned its head. Who plays the son? I thought his accent was a bit wonky a couple of times, and I don't usually notice accents. The gun guy reminds me of the hunter guy from Jurassic Park. I am interested to find out who he was talking too. I'm in for the duration.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Just finished watching ep 02, with the doll tree.

The recycling of cliches (from other movies) was particularly annoying, but less than those forced ad breaks/cliffhanger, where nothing happens for a good 8-10 minutes, until suddenly, OMG!, a paranormal scary phenomenon happens, just in time to hook the viewer. Also, the filter applied to the picture to make it look like it's filmed with a video/surveillance cam looks cheap as hell.

Edited by Kaoteek, Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:03 AM.

keagan1

keagan1

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Take a knife and slash your palm in the Amazon, then the next day, no bandage! no wound! Amazing Amazon Magic!

Yes, I did find it odd that they were able to track a boo-boo on Emmet's thumb (in a scene that I do not fully understand), but everyone else's cuts and gashes simply disappeared or were no longer an issue.

I hate to say this, but I don't really like any of the characters.

montferrat

montferrat

Fanatic

• Interests:Hiking, Swimming, European history, Gay Spanish Films, Coffee Table Books, and Bad Slash Fiction! Oh yeah, and TV too!

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

It's not excellent, but it gave me a few chills and thrills. So I'm on board for now.

However...the one thing that I cannot abide is the fact that the mother and son look to be approximately the same age.

Awful, awful casting in my opinion.

ReesieKitty

ReesieKitty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

Wow, I really wanted to find this really scary, but mostly we kept sort of snickering and saying 'Hey, it's the Smoke Monster from Lost!" and 'Should she be getting into the water with that recently stitched wound? I hope they had sulfa powder or tetnus shots or something!"

Seriously, there were a couple of creepy visuals ( the alter in the 'safe room' -although why the hell would you have a safe room on your research boat on the Amazon? If you get hijacked, no one is going to find you before your food runs out and was the safe room only for the family? Sorry crew and nice ethnic mechanic and daughter- there's only room for the TV family in here!- and the doll tree was a great visual) so major kudos to the set decorator.

But what HAPPENED in those sets just went from stupid to silly and wasn't scary at all. When Smokey attacked the guy on the boat deck with the camera, it was swooping and jumping around and I felt like I was at one of those movies where you sit and they give you a front car view of roller coasters whooshing around. And this is a little thing- but when the mom was laying down in her husband's room, all I could think about was how ICKY and moldy those sheets and pillows would be after being out there all that time!!

Are they now just going to be careening through the jungle finding 'mysterious legends' and random dangers? I just can't see this continuing very long. When the mechanic's daughter started in on how 'no one ever goes there' I was flashing back to old Tarzan movies in the 30s where the African American 'bearers' are warning the Great White Hunters 'They say go no further, bwana. They say this is an EEEEEVIL place." It was just cringe-worthy.

And the mom has the most annoying scream/cry thing ever. All in all, just too not scary and too draggy.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

The first part was terrible, but I liked the second half a lot more. I thought it was sufficiently creepy, but not really scary or horror-worthy. The whole corpus christi thing (or whatever) was weird. I don't understand why all they had to do was trap it in the coconut shells (tm someone upthread) when the other folks trapped it in a room with an alter and welded it shut. The dolls creeped me out though, and the little girl in the trees.

why a girl who hangs out with Great White Scientists doesn't speak an iota of English

while her father speaks perfect English