Would You Rather?: Graham Norton Tries in America AGAIN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Would you rather watch Graham Norton sitting in a New York studio tossing out ludicrous either/or scenarios for a mix of American grade B celebrities, the occasional UK import and some stand-up comics sitting down, or would you rather watch him comfortably at home in the UK simply doing longer series of his talk show?

This show is that first thing.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

I made it through about 10 minutes of the first episode and bailed. I thought it was incredibly stupid and pointless.

JJJJShabado

JJJJShabado

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I balied on it early too. It was raunchier than I expected (and I don't necessarily care, but it seemed to be unnecessarily raunchy). There are so many awesome UK panel shows that could be aired (QI, Would I Lie to You come to mind), that are better than this stuff.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2011 @ 4:36 AM

But this isn't even a UK panel show. Its just a bad imitation with a British host, airing on an Anglophile US-based channel!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

I caught it over the Xmas holiday and liked it; It's not a brit show?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

These few episodes were filmed in NYC. I can't believe how few they did, and that they're running them as repeats already.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I thought it was silly and fun and I'd watch it again if there wasn't much else on.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 6:24 AM

Did I see the guy who plays Gene on "Bob's Burgers" on the ep where they ask "Would you rather have a head twice or half the size of your current one"?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

These few episodes were filmed in NYC. I can't believe how few they did, and that they're running them as repeats already.

Aha. Then it really IS a British show! Making too few episodes and then MAYBE coming back a year later to make another small batch!

I'm mostly joking. But really, unless scripted shows I never got why even unscripted shows (which cost next to nothing to make) get limited runs. If you bother to drag the man a quarter of the way around the globe... then shoot a few dozen episodes. What can it take for a half hour panel show? An extra 2 weeks of filming? Heck, if I recall correctly, the old Match Game show used to back-to-back record 4 episodes every day they filmed.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Jan 10, 2012 @ 6:22 PM.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

I thought it was fun, but not something I would seek out, more like in the background of me doing something else or if nothing else is on and I try to procrastinate from doing school work, this is great.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I do like this show as fun fluff, but the question this week about the peace in the Middle East/Palestinian pool boy totally took me out of it. It was just so racist and ignorant. Not funny at all.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

It was okay, but not appointment television. I'd rather they bring something like Would I Lie to You? over.

Shader

Shader

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

So. I love panel quiz shows. I love Graham Norton. I occasionally love BBC America. However, this show just isn't working for me.

I've tried. I've watched all the episodes aired so far, but I'm already bored.

I have a huge problem with the last category, Fill in the Rather. The answers rarely make sense and sometimes their response just rephrase the first part of the rather. I usually stop watching during this section.

My other problem is that panel shows are supposed to have a revolving cast. So even when I hate someone I don't have to see them every week. Not the case with WYR. I get to hate everyone multiple times during the five (or so) measly episodes shown.

They really should just import some of the actual British quiz shows.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I'm confused now. At first when I first saw the same people on the show, I assumed it was a rerun and deleted it. Now I'm wondering if they didn't do multiple shows with some people. I'm not recalling hearing questions/answers as I'm watching a second episode w/Alan Cumming, for example.

Shader

Shader

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

They definitely reused casts with just a bit of a mix thrown in to keep it different. They might have filmed multiple episodes at a time? Looking at the episode wiki page, it doesn't seem to have been as bad as what I remember.

However there's something going on because I've been recording the episodes on my DVR (watching then deleting them) and I hadn't even realized that there have been eleven episodes aired so far. Weird.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Recorded the most recent episode. Whoopi Goldberg was on and I really think she thought she was Graham's partner or something. Every time he "awarded" points she would concur. Sometimes taking what seemed like a long time to do so. Really odd. But really Goldberg if you ever see a clip of her on The View.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Recorded the most recent episode. Whoopi Goldberg was on and I really think she thought she was Graham's partner or something. Every time he "awarded" points she would concur. Sometimes taking what seemed like a long time to do so. Really odd. But really Goldberg if you ever see a clip of her on The View.

How did they fit her ego in the studio? There must be a high ceiling!