6-12: "This is the Way the World Ends" 2011.12.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

280 replies to this topic

smithgirl

smithgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

What this show is ultimately about is inappropriate desire and how people deal with it.

WOW - that really sums it all up, and explains why we get so frustrated and need to give up trying to find "normal people logic" in their actions. Well said!

AudienceofOne

AudienceofOne

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I only just watched this season over the Xmas break so my comments are a little belated. I will say that it was Dexter's weakest season.

I think the comments on Deb's sudden "love" twist have been pretty well covered (I'm in the ewww category btw) so I'll just outline my biggest problem with it thematically.

This season was very much about people being influenced by others and using that influence to justify their own actions.

Both Brother Sam and Travis used God as an excuse for their actions. In BS' sake, his actions were charitable and good and in Travis' the opposite was true but both never took responsibility for want they wanted to do with their lives - it was all "God's work".

More importantly, the season was about people rebelling against this influence and striking out as their own person. Influence leading to rebellion leading eventually to acceptance of themselves.

So, Travis was influenced by Gellar who he used as a proxy. Except Gellar wasn't literal or psychotic enough so Travis killed him. He eventually accepted that it wasn't Gellar he was following but a part of himself and then became the psycho he always was without needing the Gellar personality to drive him.

Dexter was influenced by Brother Sam, eventually rejecting him for the voice of his brother and finally coming around to accepting his "instincts".

This is why his statement at the end about the situation having "nothing to do with God" was so powerful. We're all responsible for our own actions and blaming God or our fathers or a mentor is a copout.

So, this is my biggest problem with the incest storyline with Deb. The therapist was her Gellar, her Brother Sam: the person influencing her to change her behaviour. The one she relied on to guide her actions. I can believe Deb being vulnerable and malleable enough to listen to the therapist when she delivered that bulldust about Deb loving Dex romantically (which is, as anyone who's watched this show from the beginning will tell you, flat out wrong).

But where was Deb's liberation from this influence? Where was her going back to the therapist and going, "Honey, you're flat out wrong. I know my heart. I know who I am. I come to you for advice not for you to dabble at being God in my life. And I am not in love with Dex."

Travis and Dexter went through this journey - why not Deb?

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I just finished the whole season this weekend with the free Showtime weekend.

Well, I loved it. Yeah, probably the weakest season, but it's just great to see all the characters. The bad guys were not the best, but the last scene was great. The show is still one of the best on TV.

And you know why?

Because....

....it's Dexter.

christallh24

christallh24

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Team Dexter/Deb. If they explore the possiblity, this will be the first time in two 1/2 years I've watched the show. I've wanted D/D since his saved her from Brian. Ta!

Edited by christallh24, Jan 11, 2012 @ 3:11 PM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Are we sure Deb and Dex don't share a father? I thought it was implied Dexter's mother was having an affair with Harry. Maybe I've forgotten something.

This. I always suspected and continue to believe that the real reason Harry took Dexter and not the brother as well was not just because of the damage he saw in the brother but because Dexter was his kid.

Just finished watching the season on Showtime Demand. I thought it couldn't get any worse than the Lumen crap of last season, but I guess I was proven wrong.

The good from this season:
1. Mos Def -- boy did the season go into the crapper once Brother Sam was gone.
2. Having watched it on demand over this three day weekend, at least I did not give 12 weeks of my life to this dreck.
3. The return to the fact that despite his code bs, Dexter has with Gellar, just as he did with Doakes proved that at the end of the day, he, just like the killers he proclaims to bring to justice, is all about himself and his own self-interest and self-preservation. I say this is good because I hope this somehow comes into play in next season, which will hopefully be the final one of the show -- because at the end of the day if you sign on to Dexter's agenda, there is no way these two vile acts of destroying the reputations and good names of two innocent mn should go unpunished.

The bad:
1. Pretty much every other minute of this show.

WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

I always suspected and continue to believe that the real reason Harry took Dexter and not the brother as well was not just because of the damage he saw in the brother but because Dexter was his kid.

I suppose anything is possible in TV shows, but Harry being Dexter's father would be a major retcon. In season 1 we saw a flashback of kid Dexter in the hospital needing blood and having a rare type. So, Harry went and found Dexter's dad, so he could donate. Dexter made him a thank you card and everything.

When Dexter's real dad died, he left Dexter his house, and Dexter found that thank you card in there. Plus, he did a DNA test, too. So, the show established early on that Harry was not Dexter's dad.

Dougrhon

Dougrhon

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

Regarding Gellar's "reputation" bear in mind that Dexter only knows (as do the police now) That Travis killed Gellar. He was not witness to the hallucination in which Gellar reveals for the first time that he is actually innocent, that Travis stole the material that got him fired and that he told Travis to "get help." Dexter does not know this. He only knows that Gellar did not commit any of the murders, as the police do as well. So it is not simiar to season two and the smearing of Dokes.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Just got my Showtime back, and watched the entire season. Oh how I have missed it! No, it wasn't the greatest season ever, but it's still better than most of the stuff on tv. MCH can do no wrong in my eyes....

I am kind of squicked out by the Deb 'in love' storyline, but in the finale, when she was hugging him shirtless, was the first time I was ever reminded DURING the show of their personal relationship in real life. So regardless of how I feel about the storyline, the actors sold it. Which could pretty much be said of every ep.

squidge

squidge

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Is Deb the sacrificial Lamb to the two witnesses for the end of the world - Dexter and Travis?

New to this show - just watched all six seasons over the last several weeks...

BroughtBackIn

BroughtBackIn

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

My personal opinion is that Deb has always wanted Dex.
I've always found Deb to be an extremely self-centered, almost narcissistic emotional cripple. Even more so than Dex. What I mean by that is how insensitive she has always been to anyone elses predicament or situation. I haven't seen the first few seasons in a long while, but her constant 'Hey Fucker!' -punch arm- attitude always to be disingenuous, like it's her method hiding who she really is.
She treated her BF Anton quite terribly, she got a child MURDERED last season (she never shed a tear of remorse for her involvement in that) because she just had to follow her lead, she treated Quinn like a sack of shit for proposing to her (and stomped all over his vulnerable state right after), she intrudes on Dexter's life at the drop of a hat and then gets butt-hurt when he doesn't react exactly as she wants etc. etc....all this adds up to Deb has some serious emotional issues going on and has NEVER been the normal one. In 6 seasons we have yet to see her empathize with someone other than herself.

Hmmm what do we call people who don't consider other's when deciding to take action? Oh yeah, sociopaths!

Its hard to hate on Deb cause she's gorgeous, likes to swear, and is kinda goofy. She also is clearly a hard worker and when motivated can be very effective at whatever she wants to do. Who does this sound like? Her sociopath 'brother' maybe? Something has always rubbed me the wrong way about Deb and I think this is it. This would even explain the incredible chemistry she had with Brian/ITK.
I think the problem lies more with the viewers being aghast that the saint-like image of Deb is shattering. I keep reading that this season has destroyed the character, but I couldn't disagree more. Deb having sexual feelings for Dexter and her immediate need to act on them no matter what, is comp[letely in-line with who we have seen all along, and the writers are actually unveiling this to us.
Think about it. Deb has done to the viewers, this whole time, what Dex has been doing to her and everyone else. I never really bought the 'Deb is perfect in every way' hysteria that many viewers feel. To me, she always seemed like a poorly written 'Mary-Sue' but now I'm starting to think that she is actually making sense for the first time!

Best post in this entire forum. Thanks for saying exactly what is real and true to this story and show.

Is Deb the sacrificial Lamb to the two witnesses for the end of the world - Dexter and Travis?

New to this show - just watched all six seasons over the last several weeks...

No, I think that would have been Harrison. Travis had him up on the roof and ready to kill him when the eclipse happened.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Its hard to hate on Deb cause she's gorgeous, likes to swear, and is kinda goofy. She also is clearly a hard worker and when motivated can be very effective at whatever she wants to do. Who does this sound like? Her sociopath 'brother' maybe? Something has always rubbed me the wrong way about Deb and I think this is it. This would even explain the incredible chemistry she had with Brian/ITK.

This would actually be awesome. Could you imagine? Deb being revealed to be the true sociopath but raised to be normal, law-abiding woman while her brother was simply a deeply traumatized child raised to become a vigilante, sociopath-like machine? Two opposite types of crazy colliding, plus Harry's vision torn to shreds? It would be really entertaining.