6-12: "This is the Way the World Ends" 2011.12.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

280 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

Dexter and the Homicide team race to catch the Doomsday Killers before their final act; Deb copes with a new emotional reality.

Moderator Note: Please do not discuss your speculation/hopes/fears about next season in this thread. Take it to the Speculation thread. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Dec 18, 2011 @ 2:00 PM.

J Buffett

J Buffett

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Awesome! The last 10 seconds made up for the whole season!

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

Well, at least one interesting thing happened this season.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Talk about a game changer! I have to admit, I have not been enthralled this season, but what an ending scene!

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Agreed, the last few minutes were redemption! Now for Homeland.

DaLovin Dj

DaLovin Dj

Couch Potato

The single biggest event we've been waiting for through the whole run of this show, and they fucking waste it like that? Goddammit so much. This season has ruined this show.

VioletMarx

VioletMarx

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

The single biggest event we've been waiting for through the whole run of this show, and they fucking waste it like that? Goddammit so much. This season has ruined this show

RUINED! I have been waiting for that moment for 5 years, and they have to infuse it with incest? What a fucking mess.

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

I'm disgusted by the whole incest angle. Doesn't the show have more to work with than to resort to that?

Carol in LA

Carol in LA

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Well, I hope that knocks the idea that she's in love with him right out of her head. Wow, 11.98 episodes that were dreck to finish with a bang. The whole season wasn't worth it for that one moment - they have a lot to make up to us - but it changes the dynamic of the show in a really great way. As long as they don't fuck it up like they did this season.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

I figured there would be some set up today for the intern guy to start going crazy/serial killer-like and he wasn't even a factor.

The big reveal was Deb finally seeing Dexter for who he is? I felt like this was the same as the previous season, just a "choose your own adventure" where Deb actually sees him (rather than Dex just getting away).

I appreciated LaGuerta being nice, but I, like Deb, was wondering what she was up to.

I wished Quinn would have gotten re-assigned. I am tired of him. But maybe Angel's mention about him putting more effort into detective work will be a push for him.

So glad Harrison is OK, but curious if this will be like Dex's storage cube full of blood issue that will cause him to have a Dark Passenger.

I loved the lion costume, but I did think it was awfully scary compared to the other Noah's ark critters/parents.

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

It occurred to me when they discussed that she wanted him to go to the church, and she knew he'd go to the church AFTER the pageant, that she might walk in any minute, but it was still a WOW moment.

However, and this is a big however, the complete incompetence of everyone on Miami Metro (or the writers) is astounding. The detectives arrive and everyone is waiting for the blood spatter expert before they enter? Really? And clearly Travis has been there, but they don't look around for anything that might hint where he's going? Instead they leave for Dexter to find because he's the only one who is not completely stupid. Is it something in the water?

Granted Deb in her own way has always been as damaged as Dexter, but it did seem like she was rushing to the scene, not just because she wanted to know if Dex had found anything at the church, but to profess her love for him. That seems like too much.

But despite all that, sure, you bet I can't wait for next season, and I hope they don't just skip ahead another year or two, and show the Morgans, Dex and Deb happily at home with the kids.

Also, aside from the whole morality issue, really isn't she going to want to kick him for screwing up the case?

DaLovin Dj

DaLovin Dj

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

RUINED! I have been waiting for that moment for 5 years, and they have to infuse it with incest? What a fucking mess.

Word. The therapy could have led to Deb realizing something was up with Dex without that nonsense.

And that kill was terrible.

"Hello, Jesus."

"Hello, Travis."

"What? No!"

The delivery of those lines was so terrible, I literally fell off my chair laughing at the God-awfulness of it all. Their whole conversation had zero tension, zero chemistry, zero compelling anything. A fucking boring scene with zero stakes in a terrible season, and they throw in the reveal to Deb. I hate the writers of this show so much right now. Such. A. Waste.

Nice job, dumbasses. You managed to make the moment everyone has been waiting for lame as all hell. It takes real skill to suck that much.

Edited by DaLovin Dj, Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:12 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

The incest thing cheapens everything the show's worked to establish about the characters.

What happened to help MMPD? The DDK would never be solved since Dexter decided to take out Travis on his own. I get he's PO'd about Travis taking Harrison, but it's pretty selfish to deprive the case to be fully closed.

LaGuerta making amends? Don't buy it for a second.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Kick-ass ending.
Laughed my ass off @ (beaticic smile) "Hello Jesus", "Is that my shirt?!" "I cna't stay here if you're going to continue to stink like that" and the great pun @ the end, when Dexter realizes Deb saw him kill Travis: "Oh, God." There goes Deb's little crush on her brother, huh?!

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

A lackluster season saved by the final 30 seconds of the ep? Maybe not but it was awesome to see and sets things up quite well for the last 2 seasons...IF the writers don't fuck it up.

There is no way Dexter can explain himself. He was in his kill suit complete with rubber apron, plastic wrap, ritalistic kill setting and speech to the condemed. And, where has Deb seen such a setting before? The finale of s1 when she was the condemed.

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

So glad Harrison is OK, but curious if this will be like Dex's storage cube full of blood issue that will cause him to have a Dark Passenger.

Big difference between several days in a blood filled storage cube with your mom chopped up in pieces, versus scary man and you don't really understand what happened and then it's over in a couple of minutes, and you're home being tucked in by Daddy.

Edited by marioninnyc, Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:14 PM.

Janepod

Janepod

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

How did the hand come to be sent to Dexter? I missed that somehow. Was he expecting it? I wonder how long it will sit on top of the fridge.

Exciting conclusion to a lackluster season.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

How did the hand come to be sent to Dexter? I missed that somehow. Was he expecting it? I wonder how long it will sit on top of the fridge.

The intern sent it to him last week. How did it get unpacked already? Did Travis open it or was it already open? That's pretty rude of Travis.

pandora spock

pandora spock

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

That's pretty rude of Travis.

I guess when you're hell-bent on bringing the end of the world, social niceties are the first to go.

Lola82

Lola82

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

It's awesome that Deb finally caught Dexter in the act but how are they going to stretch this out for the next 2 seasons??

And how did Dexter fake injecting himself on the roof? It clearly went into his neck. Did he plan ahead and have an empty syringe with him just in case?

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I guess I can hope that Deb finding out about Dexter will snap her out of her ridiculous love for him, but given her past terrible taste in love, I'm not so sure. As far as I can see, there isn't another woman real or fictional that has worse taste in men. Deborah Morgan takes the prize.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

I fanwanked the syringe as Dex having watched "Princess Bride" - Wesley had developed a natural immunity to Iocane powder, which he used to defeat Vizzini ( Acquired Poison Immunity ). I would think an empty syringe would've put air in Dex and caused an embolism.

wirebiter

wirebiter

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

I would think he had one with saline in it. Just had to make sure to grab the right one.

KelMarie0415

KelMarie0415

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

And how did Dexter fake injecting himself on the roof? It clearly went into his neck. Did he plan ahead and have an empty syringe with him just in case?

I just figured Dexter was savvy enough to jab the needle into his neck without actually pressing down the plunger and injecting the tranquilizer. He injected himself on the side of his neck facing away from Travic and it was a fast motion during a high adrenaline, stress-filled moment. Combined with the convincing fake collapse, I think it would be a pretty easy trick under the circumstances.

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

Hell, yeah. Show, thank you for that final shot. However, fire your writers.

Your viewers deserve better. Thank you.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

It makes perfect sense to me that the writers ended the season with this cliffhanger. They'd already wasted nine episodes building up to a lame, allegedly shocking moment (Gellar's dead body in the freezer), and so why not waste three more episodes just to get us to another supposedly "shocking" moment?

Also...thanks a lot, writers, for perpetuating the ridiculous myth that if someone does their job terribly, it will be illegal to fire them if their incompetence is somehow related to alcoholism.

Yes, there are laws preventing employers from firing or disciplining employees for being recovering alcoholics or addicts. They certainly don't protect employees whose job performance is affected by their drinking or their drug use. There are people out there, though, who would love to give the world the false impression that anti-discrimination laws really are that absurd - and the writers just gave them an early Christmas present.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

I fanwanked the syringe as Dex having watched "Princess Bride" - Wesley had developed a natural immunity to Iocane powder, which he used to defeat Vizzini ( Acquired Poison Immunity ). I would think an empty syringe would've put air in Dex and caused an embolism.

Definitely not empty syringe. Does anyone remember what Dex said exactly? Something like having a high tolerance/immunity to animal tranquilizers or something? Whatever it was it didn't seem plausible, but whatever.

I just figured Dexter was savvy enough to jab the needle into his neck without actually pressing down the plunger and injecting the tranquilizer. He injected himself on the side of his neck facing away from Travic and it was a fast motion during a high adrenaline, stress-filled moment. Combined with the convincing fake collapse, I think it would be a pretty easy trick under the circumstances.

That would make more sense,I'd go with that.

I'm in the camp of "Awesome ending!" but I think they piqued to soon on that reveal. I sure wasn't expecting it until the last season. We'll see what he comes up with to tell her. And I HATE the Deb loves Dex stuff. I was really hoping it would be dropped. It's too damn weird...and a bit uncomfortable to watch.

Edited by valny, Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:21 PM.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

Damn double post!

Edited by valny, Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:18 PM.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:31 PM

See Shark...Jumped.

nydude

nydude

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

I guess if your Lieutenant sister finds out that you're a murderer, it's a good thing that she wants to bone you as well. :-/