2012 Golden Globe Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

493 replies to this topic

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

At this point, I really can't tell whether Sofia's Modern Family character is basically her real personality, or whether she is playing her TV character during all her interviews and appearances. But I do find her a little obnoxious sometimes.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Sofia is sometimes too OTT and guess what....she plays the stereotype to the max.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

From TWoP's Best and Worst of the GGs:

Worst: The Artist and The Descendants Win Everything
Were there other movies this year besides these two? With very few and very obvious exceptions -- think Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen - the HFPA would have been better off handing Clooney and The Artist crew all of their awards at once, preferably before the show.

The Artist won three awards (Film and Best Actor for Comedy, and Musical Score) while The Descendants took two GG's (Film and Best Actor for Drama). That's 5 out out of the total 14 movie-related awards the HFPA handed out, hardly "everything."

And I must be among the few who were not that enchanted by Woody's screenplay for MiP. It felt like a retread of his short story The Kugelmass Episode (which I loved, but that was 30 years ago) laced with Vicky Cristina Barcelona (which I loathed).

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

That's 5 out out of the total 14 movie-related awards the HFPA handed out, hardly "everything."

Yeah, I was a little surprised by how spread-out the awards were. I was expecting The Artist to win at least one more award (director), maybe two (screenplay).

And I must be among the few who were not that enchanted by Woody's screenplay for MiP. It felt like a retread of his short story The Kugelmass Episode (which I loved, but that was 30 years ago) laced with Vicky Cristina Barcelona (which I loathed).

I'm so with you there. I feel like Woody gets graded on a curve these days. Whenever he puts out something marginally decent, the raves are a little over the top. That was something of a weak screenplay category overall. I thought Moneyball was the best by a mile. And I really did not care for Vicky Cristina Barcelona either.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Interestingly enough, Sophia's son is a really bright young man and he had tried to get her to lose that accent of hers for years. That speaks in volumes about her character.

Why does SV need to lose her accent in oder to have good character?

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I'm not sure I get that either. Does anyone who either chooses not to or is unable to adopt an American accent (as many English-as-a-second-language-people are) lacking in moral fiber or something?

Edited by Redtracer, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

I have no idea, but Sophia said it last year on Ellen Degeneres about her son's critique on her accent and how it wants a bit Americanized. Something to that effect. Who knows. That what Sophia said.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Right, I don't doubt that her son would ask her to tone down her accent. I can see that. But you'd said that "speaks volumes about her character," and I was just wondering why her hesitance to drop her native accent was some kind of character flaw.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

She is probably trying the next Charo. I don't know.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

Her son has said that Sophia's accent has gotten thicker over the years, and had some video of Sophia from about ten years ago that proved his point. To me that means she's putting it on somewhat. If anything, her accent should get less or stay the same, not get thicker.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

I have seen her before saying her accent is thicker on purpose. She said she wasn't originally getting roles because she wasn't seen as "Latina enough" because she is a natural blonde and her accent isn't all that thick. She said that as soon as she dyed her hair brown and started playing up her accent, she got more roles, so she has an incentive not to tone her accent back to what it is normally.

Edited by bparhad, Jan 24, 2012 @ 3:50 PM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

Oh, wow. I never noticed it. The things you don't know.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I never understood Woody Allen films and he creeps me out more with marrying a step daughter like Soon-Yi. That spells "dirty old man", no matter what actor defends him.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

I really can't tell whether Sofia's Modern Family character is basically her real personality, or whether she is playing her TV character during all her interviews and appearances. But I do find her a little obnoxious sometimes.

I can't stand the woman.